PDA

View Full Version : hair looks better with buildup

pixistixx
October 30th, 2011, 08:28 AM
anyone else feel this way? I thought my hair needed clarifying yesterday, as I've been using tons of oils, gel (for static) and shampoo bars. afterward I felt practically bald... my hair looked so thin and flat to my head it looked like a baby's! and before it looked thicker and bouncier then ever. yeah, it's slippery and shiny, but it looks awful, especially since I have such a big head lol. anyone else think their hair looks better with buildup, or am I just crazy :p

PolarCathy
October 30th, 2011, 08:36 AM
anyone else feel this way? I thought my hair needed clarifying yesterday, as I've been using tons of oils, gel (for static) and shampoo bars. afterward I felt practically bald... my hair looked so thin and flat to my head it looked like a baby's! and before it looked thicker and bouncier then ever. yeah, it's slippery and shiny, but it looks awful, especially since I have such a big head lol. anyone else think their hair looks better with buildup, or am I just crazy :p

Mine looks best on days 4 and 5 after washing :) I wouldn't call that buildup, just some healthy wax :D

I def hated my hair on shampoo days back when I used shampoo (3 years ago or so). It always took a day or two till it felt better. I haven't clarified that many times but I know that right after clarifying my otherwise 10.5 cm pony shrinks back to 9.5 cm. Bad, bad.

misspurdy06
October 30th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Ever since I went WO and the sebum built up on my hair it feels thicker and stronger. A couple of weeks ago I cleaned my hair with conditioner and after it felt light, wispy and insubstantial. Stripped

So I know what your talking about.

ktani
October 30th, 2011, 08:40 AM
It depends on what you used to clarify your hair. Some so called clarifying products contain conditioning/coating ingredients of their own, that in your case sound like they added to the problem by weighing your hair down.

einna
October 30th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I am now using a moisturising conditioner (Giovanni Smooth as silk, deeper moisturising conditioner) for CO on my naturally dry hair. It seems to give me some build up in a `cone like way. I love it. Makes my hair slippery, a bit shinier and easier to detangle. I do dilute it with a lot of water, and sometimes a much lighter conditioner, or else I think it would be too much.

TrudieCat
October 30th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Oh yes, mine! It's a fluffy, undefined mess without something weighing the strands down. I love coating ingredients, they give my waves nice defined clumps. :) But, I have to be careful to wash everything off periodically because too much build-up makes my hair dull and rough. It's a fine balance. :o

Amber_Maiden
October 30th, 2011, 09:43 AM
One of the reasons I only wash my hair once a week is because of buildup. It's just easier to handle it when it's has a bit of sebum in it... It stays flatter? If that makes any sense.

ktani
October 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Oh yes, mine! It's a fluffy, undefined mess without something weighing the strands down. I love coating ingredients, they give my waves nice defined clumps. :) But, I have to be careful to wash everything off periodically because too much build-up makes my hair dull and rough. It's a fine balance. :o

There is coating and then there is coating, lol. It depends on what and how much and when and how it is used.

I coat my hair with catnip. It eliminaes frizz (my hair is not overly prone to that in any case) and conditions my hair but it is not a coating that cannot be removed with one shampoo and it causes me no problems.

The problem here was the claryfying product added to an existing problem and made it worse.

pixistixx
October 30th, 2011, 03:43 PM
what's funny is my hair is less flat with product buildup... i used neutrogena anti residue for the clarifying. I normally use shampoo bars followed by desert essence organics coconut conditioner.

ktani
October 30th, 2011, 03:45 PM
what's funny is my hair is less flat with product buildup... i used neutrogena anti residue for the clarifying. I normally use shampoo bars followed by desert essence organics coconut conditioner.

Odd. Either they changed the formula or it did not remove what it was supposed to remove in one go at it which is not than unusual, depending on what was/is still on your hair.

spidermom
October 30th, 2011, 03:47 PM
No, just the opposite. My hair looks limp and dull when it has buildup. Clarifying brings back the body and shine.

ktani
October 30th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I do not clarify as I now have no build-up. However, when I stopped using things that did build-up on my hair and let them be gradually washed out by a shampoo that added none, my hair looked and looks much thicker. For someone with thin hair like me, that is a blessing.