PDA

View Full Version : Is a TEENY bit of breakage, ok?

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 29th, 2011, 11:22 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, because I know "healthy" hair should not have breakage, but I take pretty good care of my hair and i still managed to find little itty bitty bits in the shower.
I dont use heat, I wash every other day with a organic sulfate free shampoo and a cone free conditioner, I dont brush my hair because frankly, I dont need too. My hair IS fine though, and has been damaged in the past, mainly last year, but since then my hair has healed and is growing well.
But I do notice every now and then, maybe half a cm? Seriously not long, its mircoscopic, the fact that I even notice it in the shower stuns me, but i know its broken bit from my ends, in my hands right after using conditioner.

Are things like this normal or is this a sign that I should be trimming more often?

Mairéad
October 29th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I'm by no means extremely knowledgeable about breakage, but I think in general, not every single hair on your head is going to be a happy one.

But, if you have a little breakage all around, I'd leave some oil in the tippiest parts of your ends and keep it up. Also, if you think it's time for a trim than arrange to find someone you trust doing it.

Juneii
October 29th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I think breakage is inevitable especially at the longer lengths. Older hair is very fragile and will always experience some amount of damage. Since your hair is only apl I think it may be caused by rubbing against your clothes. I would also try a different shampoo and conditioner, from my experience some shampoos and conditioners just don't work with my hair and end up causing a lot of damage. Conditioners with silicone works best for me because it smooths over the damaged ends of my hair and makes it a bit more slippery and less prone to tangles.

Modarunner
October 30th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I think it all depends on the person. Some people have very resilient hair and never get breakage, where other people get breakage all the time. I know for me no matter how careful I am with my hair I get breakage. I definitely find that S&D missions on a regular basis keep it under control and keep breakage from traveling up the hair strands. Also, S&D missions keep me from losing length while still getting rid of breakage.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 30th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I think breakage is inevitable especially at the longer lengths. Older hair is very fragile and will always experience some amount of damage. Since your hair is only apl I think it may be caused by rubbing against your clothes. I would also try a different shampoo and conditioner, from my experience some shampoos and conditioners just don't work with my hair and end up causing a lot of damage. Conditioners with silicone works best for me because it smooths over the damaged ends of my hair and makes it a bit more slippery and less prone to tangles.

My hair doesnt tangle, so I can deal without silicones. My hair actually feels BETTER without them, and ive been cone free for a few months now.

It just seems to only happen when i condition my hair, at least thats when I notice it.

I shampoo with NG tea tree (which im probably going to change after i finish the bottle because its not helping my dandruff, gotta try giovanni and then, idk what else ._.) and condition the length with suave naturals coconut, and then when its damp and beginning to dry I get a little bit of coconut oil and focus on my ends because they are the driest, and then this one section behind my ear that is shoulder length and VERY wavy/curly and dry (odd but I think we all have sections of our head that act similar. Yes? LOL.) And so far, so good. My hair stays clean for almost 3 days, is soft and shiny, and just fantastic.

Maybe its the way im conditioning my hair? I run my fingers through my hair with the conditioner, but I dont tangle, so i dont know whats up.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 30th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I'm by no means extremely knowledgeable about breakage, but I think in general, not every single hair on your head is going to be a happy one.

But, if you have a little breakage all around, I'd leave some oil in the tippiest parts of your ends and keep it up. Also, if you think it's time for a trim than arrange to find someone you trust doing it.

I put coconut oil on my ends, and leave it up pretty much 80% of the time. :)

Gulbahar
October 30th, 2011, 02:29 AM
My hair breaks all the time although it's not chemically treated and over all in very good condition. You wouldn't guess it breaks and splits at all if you saw it. But this is my hairtype and I have to live with it.

growingpains
October 30th, 2011, 02:29 AM
If you have one hair, or even a couple hairs with a cm break, no biggie, but if many of your hairs are like this then yes, more trimming is needed.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 30th, 2011, 02:32 AM
If you have one hair, or even a couple hairs with a cm break, no biggie, but if many of your hairs are like this then yes, more trimming is needed.

Yeah, its usually one or two.

Well, than im less worried :)

LocustSpawning
October 30th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I have more breakage than that.. I have maybe 10 - 20 little broken hairs about 1cm long each time I brush.. I hate it. I treat my hair really well and suspect it's just my hair type, it doesn't look damaged at all and is quite thick. It still gains length despite this so I'm not *overly* worried but I think it's gotten worse lately so I'm worried no length will start to show from now on :(

alwayssmiling
October 30th, 2011, 04:27 AM
It sounds normal to me. I've gone from severe breakage to healthy hair so I am very vigilant about little bits in the shower. I occassionally, gently brush or comb my hair over a white piece of paper - I always get a few little bits - but if the paper was littered in bits I would be worried that my routine was damaging or past routine is coming back to haunt me.

When breakage was bad I used to get a lot of short bits on top and one side was a little shorter than the rest. The only thing that cured my breakage was tiny, regular trims. Products and babying my hair didn't really do much.

jojo
October 30th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I got breakage with all virgin hair and still with chemically dyed hair; its just my hair type!

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 31st, 2011, 01:13 AM
SheesH! Well then, i am relieved! :) My hair is doing pretty well then.

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 11:47 AM
I think breakage occurs no matter what you really do... it will happen. All you can do is your best, and be gentle.

spidermom
October 31st, 2011, 11:51 AM
I only skimmed the replies and didn't see that somebody mentioned this, but once damage occurs, it does not heal. The only thing you can do is cut it off or handle it very gently and give conditioning treatments, which don't heal but do improve appearance and manageability.

I don't see much breaking off, but I do see split ends every time I look for them, which I think is inevitable given my length and less than stellar hair protection habits.

BabyRay33
October 31st, 2011, 12:10 PM
I have breakage on the parts of my hair that have had the most bleach/dye....my nape. I bleached and dyed it pink about a year ago....and my nape hairs are a mess of white dots and splits, and even if the hair isn't split or plagued with dots...it is kinky and tangly.

The rest of my hair and particularly the virgin (or virgin+henna) 7 inches of new growth are in immpecable shape.

But since my hair is fine....I expect I will always have some splits.

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM
My hair is fine too. I find more of my breakage comes from the front hairs, my bangs. Probably because I damage those the most. Lol.

celebriangel
November 2nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
If I remember correctly, the ends of you hair are bleached, right? So it's no surprise they're breaking off. However, since you've been treating your hair well, I imagine that once all the bleached parts are trimmed off the breakage will mostly stop.