PDA

View Full Version : lotion?

glittergirl84
October 29th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Okay, am I just a freak or what? I swear this is a question about hair. I just want to describe one thing before I ask the question. I have weird facial skin. I guess it's uber sensitive? Anytime I would get face cleanser (talk about big brands here like Biore, Olay, etc) I would wet my face, put the cleanser on, rub it around and I'd definitely make sure I rinsed everything off. Afterwards it'd look like I had botox injections because everything would look so tight and shiny looking. I finally found a brand for sensitive skin that works for me and doesn't give me that botox-y look.

So now I'm moving onto hair. I have to be honest and say my diet is rather poor. I know it's normal to shed but I can't help noticing how much my hair sheds when I use conditioner. I rotate around and try different things with my hair. Different products. Different ways of doing things--like shampoo only for an example. Anyway, one day last week I wet my hair and put lotion in my hair (on length). Gold Bond Chamomille lotion. I figured what's the worst that could happen? Honestly I thought the worst that could happen would be greasy hair and I'd have to rewash it the next day. Anyway, I let it sit for a few minutes and rinsed it out and then I put shampoo in my hair. Massaged it around and rinsed it out. Got out and let my hair dry (air dry) and my hair looked pretty good. I didn't shed as much either. My hair felt soft and looked shiny.

So...is it possible for conditioner (no matter which kind) to be too harsh for a person's hair? Will I be doing any major damage in the long run by doing what I did? Or is it a case of "Well, if nothing bad happened the few times you did it--maybe it'll be okay? Do whatever works for you. I personally wouldn't do it but whatever floats your boat---best of luck to you."

luxepiggy
October 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Lotion's actually one of my favourite tricks for when I'm staying over at a guy's house and discover that he has no conditioner! I took a look at the ingredients for the lotion you mentioned, and it looks fine. If your hair is unusually susceptible to buildup it might not be the best idea, but nothing catastrophic will occur (^(oo)^)v

Kyla
October 29th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I love Gold Bond lotion so much. So so so much.

If it's working for you, that's great! :) Everyone's hair is different, and I don't believe that my V05 and Aussie conditioner is too harsh on my delicate hair, but it may be on some.

Cainwen
October 29th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I know hairstylist advice is treated with an ounce of skepticism around here, but I remember my mother's stylist telling her years ago that if she ever ran out of conditioner, lotion would do just fine, since they were formulaic-ly similar. So long as it doesn't build up on you I don't see why not use it if it works.

glittergirl84
November 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Thank you all for the replies. It's still working for me so I think I'll keep on using it. :)

celebriangel
November 4th, 2011, 10:01 PM
if lotion is working for you, that's great. keep usimg it!

however, your conditioner-related shed is most likely not that you're actually shedding more, but that the conditioner gave enough slip tha your already shed hairs were able to slip out in the shower more easily.

shampoo is much harsher than conditioner in general so it's unlikely that conditioner is too harsh for your hair.

coffinhert
November 4th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Slightly OT, but I have a hair lotion (Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Hair Lotion) and my hair hates it so I just use it on my skin. The ingredients are all stuff that's in my regular lotions anyway.

blondie9912
November 4th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Whatever works for you, do it! :) Keep in mind you MAY have to clarify after a while, but it's no big deal

On the other hand, try Cetaphil for your skin :) It's the most gentle cleanser I know and it 'normalizes' my skin (makes the oily areas not so oily, and almost seems to moisturize my dry areas, like cheeks) I have super dry skin in the winter and this never makes me feel all Botox-y and tight :) Look into it!

celebriangel
November 5th, 2011, 06:25 PM
if lotion is working for you, that's great. keep usimg it!

however, your conditioner-related shed is most likely not that you're actually shedding more, but that the conditioner gave enough slip tha your already shed hairs were able to slip out in the shower more easily.

shampoo is much harsher than conditioner in general so it's unlikely that conditioner is too harsh for your hair.

SunnyRainStorm
November 5th, 2011, 06:48 PM
For sensitive skin, I seriously agree that Cetaphil facial cleanser and lotion is the best there is. If you don't want to pay for the brand you can get it as generic Equate brand at Walmart in the facial cleanser/lotion isle.

About the conditioner, I have had real shedding when I used Bedhead brand. Bedhead smells great but man did it seem to make my hair shed like crazy.

I think trying lotion as a conditioner sounds like a really neat idea, especially for the ends and length. I have some Queen Helene Cocoa Butter lotion I may try.

FrozenBritannia
November 5th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I don't know about lotion, but I may have to try that- my hair doesn't like conditioner.

What I do know is that Lip balm (not gloss) is great for taming fly aways... :D

BlazingHeart
November 5th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I could not disagree more about cetaphil for sensitive skin. It was a complete disaster for me, and have you read the ingredients? SLS, parabens, cetyl alcohol (which is actually a wax and often a problem for sensitive skin). Sure, it has no fragrances or dyes, which often irritate skin, but SLS is a known skin irritant and cetyl alcohol can be one, too.

celebriangel
November 6th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I could not disagree more about cetaphil for sensitive skin. It was a complete disaster for me, and have you read the ingredients? SLS, parabens, cetyl alcohol (which is actually a wax and often a problem for sensitive skin). Sure, it has no fragrances or dyes, which often irritate skin, but SLS is a known skin irritant and cetyl alcohol can be one, too.

EEEK!

I have very sensitive skin myself, so much so that even the "sensitive skin" products didn't help at all. I wonder if this is why? I'm pretty sure my skin hates SLS, given how upset my hands get if I don't wear gloves to do the washing up, even just a few quick items.

I didn't find anything that worked for me until I ditched commercial products entirely. I knowthat the Chagrin Valley soap people do a lovely face wash, but I get great results with using honey as a face wash. Nothing in there I can possibly be sensitive to.

In other news, I have a boatload of lotion and body butter that I don't use on my skin...hmm. I should try. Are we using these ase leave-ins or rinse-out? Maybe lotion as rinse-out, and butter as leave-in?

jacqueline101
November 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I had a case of dry scalp and I used hand lotion on my hair I left it on and washed it out the next day. It helped with dandruff.

Finoriel
November 6th, 2011, 10:35 AM
If you like the results it gives you, use it and just see how it goes! :agree:
Quite some lotions are not too different from conditioner when you compare formulations, so it's totally possible that it will work.

And who knows, maybe you just created a new big LHC fad :wink:
Many of us enjoy putting weird unusual things on our hair and lotion as a conditioner isn't the worst thing I heard or tried :D

Maktub
November 6th, 2011, 11:07 AM
about skin : the best BESt thing I know of for sensitive skin :

100 % pure (organic is even better) shea butter. but it HAS to be pure.

I don't put anything else on my face except water (cold or warm water in a washcloth to softly clean when needed).

for me, nothing, EVER, did wonders like shea butter ! Love my skin now !