PDA

View Full Version : Mayonnaise??

Amber_Maiden
October 29th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Wondering: Do any of you use mayonnaise in your hair as a treatment? I read somewhere about it being a great CO, leave in, treatment... Wondering if I should try it, even though it's not vegan :rolleyes::o

Any of you have experience or know why it might be so good?

Vanilla
October 29th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I've used it before with mixed success as a leave in treatment. It didn't make my hair as soft and silky as I had hoped for the most part. It worked well when my hair was super dry and damaged from swimming or from salt water. You have to rinse it really well, otherwise you can end up smelling like egg salad.

I guess why people recommend it is because it contains oil, vinegar, and eggs; stuff that has been put on hair as a conditioning mask by themselves.

Amber_Maiden
October 29th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I figured I might smell like egg salad after... Did you find the treatment worked long-term-ish?

Vanilla
October 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I figured I might smell like egg salad after... Did you find the treatment worked long-term-ish?

Not really, to be honest. If your hair likes oiling, and you see a benefit from it, in theory, the mayo would probably work well for you.

My hair doesn't get any real benefit from oiling. I found that a conventional moisture leave treatment worked worlds better than mayo or oiling ever did.

Lucie159
October 29th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I use a mayo treatment after I henna to put a LOT of moisture back into my hair after the henna strips it out. So rather then the week it would take me with coconut and argan oil and conditioning, I get the same results in 1 day. It does smell though, lol. I make sure that I do it on a day when my hubby isn't around cause, well ,its not pretty either!

teal
October 29th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I used it with avocado and a bit of honey. It did make my hair nice (moreso on the length - next time I'll avoid the scalp) but it took a very, very long time to rinse out.

Lostsoule77
October 29th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I've never tried it like that. I had a friend's mother use it to do a massive detangling in my hair that a hairdresser said would have to be cut out. It worked wonderfully for that, but I don't recall what else it did. I was in 8th grade at the time and didn't pay that much attention to my hair. I do remember it being a pain to get out though.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

blondie9912
October 30th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I've used it before on my hair and it didn't work that well. It didn't really moisturize my hair, it just made it have more oil sitting on it, which mimicked the feeling of moisture. I also smelt pretty bad for about a week :D

If you're looking to 'treat' your hair, look into something that can actually penetrate the hair shaft! Mayo will just sit on top of it.

That being said, it does have some good ingredients (vinegar, eggs, oil) so perhaps it would be worth a shot if you have some lying around! Remember to use full-fat mayo though :)

cuddledumplin
October 30th, 2011, 10:33 AM
It is quite difficult to get out, and it wasn't any better than an oridnary deep conditioner.

RedBlue
October 30th, 2011, 11:54 AM
When my sister and I were chldren, our mom would use mayo if we had lice. She would saturate our dry hair with it, put a covering over the hair, and we would have to wait 45 minutes to an hour before rinsing it out. After we rinced it out, we would wash our hair like normal. It worked, too(but I don't recommend using mayo on your bed sheets, too messy)!:)