PDA

View Full Version : Wild and Free

Tawnylioness
October 29th, 2011, 06:46 PM
So i am new to this wonderful site and am soaking up advice and trying new things some of which work ( smt ) and some dont ( avocado ) for my hair, i have also figured out my hair likes all the nastys in shampoo and conditioner but oh well, less fuss for me :P

So with all this primping my hair is now quite nice, it is the longest, shiny'est, and nicest feeling hair i have ever had. so i want to keep it down, play with it, i bought it new toys, i am trying new updo styles, but with all this fiddling i feel guilty, like i am ruining my hair. All you lovley ladies all seem to keep your hair up all the time, to avoid ruining the length and thats wonderful, but i dont want to just admire my hair in the shower, i want it blowing in the breeze so what do i do?

will i ruin my hair if i have it loose alot?

Amber_Maiden
October 29th, 2011, 06:54 PM
It really depends... Is it long enough to get caught in anything?? That's the only reason I ever put my hair up, but even then, I'd rather have my hair down. If I can't enjoy it, what's the point? It also looks better down! :) It's really a personal decision, you'll find a lot of people around here either wear their hair up most of the time to avoid damage, and there's a bunch of other people who wear it down most of the time, like me.

luxepiggy
October 29th, 2011, 06:54 PM
A lot of it depends on your hairtype and your ultimate goal length. If your hair isn't particularly tangle prone and you're not looking to grow past, say, tailbone length, I think you'll be fine. If you're hoping for classic+, you'll probably need protective styling to get there in good condition.

My hair is hip length and I wear it loose every day with no problems. Actually, I don't even brush or comb it - fingercombing only for me. I'm a 'cone junkie so that helps a lot (^(oo)^)v

slz
October 29th, 2011, 06:55 PM
What length are you at ? I started braiding at classic, and seriously bunning only near knee ... not to worry, I'd say :D .

Mopolop
October 29th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I was wondering this too! I think you're more likely to get split ends if you have it loose (my hair keeps catching on my rucksack), so you'll have to trim more often and it'll take longer to grow.

I love my hair loose though. :)

Quetiepi
October 29th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I wear mine down all the time, unless I'm cooking or cleaning house. Then I put it up with a big alligator clip or in a braid. My hair is too heavy to wear in a pony tail. I had pixie length hair for over ten years, and once I decided I wanted long hair again, I also decided I'm going to wear it down & enjoy it. When my children stick me in a nursing home I guess I'll get it cut. Or not...

Arashi
October 29th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I know what you mean... personally, wearing my hair up all the time would take the joy out of it for me. That's the whole reason I'm growing it- to enjoy the future length! So, I compromise by wearing it up/braided when lounging around my house, and let it down whenever I go out.

If letting your hair loose makes you happy, I'd say let it loose... if you are gentle and kind to it otherwise, I really don't think wearing it up vs. down is going to be what completely makes or breaks how your hair does over time.

ouseljay
October 29th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Wearing it up protects it from damage from tangles and abrasion. My hair splits if you look at it funny so I wear it up a lot, but I really prefer it down. I would like to wear it down more often, but I don't since I'd like to grow it longer. Some people have hair that can survive anything, so if your hair is like that or you're not having trouble growing it to the length you want, go for it. It just depends on where the balance is for you.

Tawnylioness
October 29th, 2011, 07:03 PM
My hair is only bsl i think was the term? or bra length, i am aiming at the moment for waist or tailbone length :) i do have to keep my hair up a bit anyway because i have a two year old and a 5 month old who love nothing more than to "play" with my hair :D

but i do feel reassured that i can let my hair loose without killing it now :) thankyou :)

i am 29 years old and only did my first bun after joining this site and raiding ebay for hairsticks since here in adelaide doesnt seem to sell any decent hairtoys ~ so thankyou lhc :P

luxepiggy
October 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM
My hair is only bsl i think was the term? or bra length, i am aiming at the moment for waist or tailbone length :) i do have to keep my hair up a bit anyway because i have a two year old and a 5 month old who love nothing more than to "play" with my hair :D

but i do feel reassured that i can let my hair loose without killing it now :) thankyou :)

i am 29 years old and only did my first bun after joining this site and raiding ebay for hairsticks since here in adelaide doesnt seem to sell any decent hairtoys ~ so thankyou lhc :P

Leave it loose when you want to! I think you'll be just fine. If you experience an increase in tangling as your hair gets longer, I highly, highly recommend Aquage Beyond Shine! It's sold as a heat protectant spray but I use it daily to minimize tangles and add shine! It's super lightweight, so it never weighs down my hair or makes it look greasy (^(oo)^)v

xoxophelia
October 29th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Leave it loose when you want to! I think you'll be just fine. If you experience an increase in tangling as your hair gets longer, I highly, highly recommend Aquage Beyond Shine! It's sold as a heat protectant spray but I use it daily to minimize tangles and add shine! It's super lightweight, so it never weighs down my hair or makes it look greasy (^(oo)^)v

A little OT but how is the scent? Is it very light smelling? I'm looking for something that will work without causing migraines ^_^'

GALISH
October 29th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Wild and free is a unique sensation! But some have stronger hair than others so you might want to protect it from wind, sports, doors or anything where it can be caught, depending on how well you hair stands being down everyday and how tangly it gets.
It's also a good idea to wear a braid when you go to bed.

But sometimes you don't have enough time to wait until it dries to put it up so make sure your hair likes wet braiding/bunning as it can be or not a bit damaging depending on your hair type.

busnutmedic
October 29th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I personally feel some of my previous breakage (I was almost to classic) was due to putting it up. This time I'm going to cut it if it starts getting caught on things and I can't wear it down at all anymore.

luxepiggy
October 30th, 2011, 08:23 AM
A little OT but how is the scent? Is it very light smelling? I'm looking for something that will work without causing migraines ^_^'

I have a sensitive nose as well (^(oo)^)v

There's a moderately strong fragrance, but it literally lasts like 30 seconds before it dissipates. After a minute or two, you can hold your hair right up to your nose and you won't smell anything. Normally what I do is hold my breath, spray, and leave the vicinity. By the time I walk out of the room, the scent's already quite faint :)

luxepiggy
October 30th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Wild and free is a unique sensation! But some have stronger hair than others so you might want to protect it from wind, sports, doors or anything where it can be caught, depending on how well you hair stands being down everyday and how tangly it gets.
It's also a good idea to wear a braid when you go to bed.

But sometimes you don't have enough time to wait until it dries to put it up so make sure your hair likes wet braiding/bunning as it can be or not a bit damaging depending on your hair type.

For some reason, I experienced an increase in breakage when I tried braiding my hair for sleep. I guess my hair prefers to be free at all times (^(oo)^)v

Bonkers57
October 30th, 2011, 08:33 AM
If I leave mine down I get tons of tangles (and it's only shoulder length!) I'm going to try the Aquage Beyond Shine if I can find it. This is the main reason why I'm growing it only to BSL. I think it would get too unmanageable for me any longer than that.

Madora
October 30th, 2011, 08:42 AM
If "wild and free" is your thing, and you're happy with it, fine. But the tradeoff is having to deal with tangles all the time, and the resulting breakage.

Also, your hair can get caught on things, or rubs against your clothing.

The longer your hair grows, the more delicate the fragile ends become..and before you know it, a split occurs.

Many of us wear our hair up to protect our ends. It seems counterproductive to want long hair and not take precautions to protect your hair by wearing it up. I'm not saying you have to wear it up every day..but at least you'd be minimizing some of the damage by wearing it up every so often.

xoxophelia
October 30th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I have a sensitive nose as well (^(oo)^)v

There's a moderately strong fragrance, but it literally lasts like 30 seconds before it dissipates. After a minute or two, you can hold your hair right up to your nose and you won't smell anything. Normally what I do is hold my breath, spray, and leave the vicinity. By the time I walk out of the room, the scent's already quite faint

Oh that sounds great. I will look into it then. I have issues only with those products where your head is in a cloud of strong scent all day o.o

I've been looking at your product reviews for shine for awhile now trying to figure out which one I want to give a go :D

On the topic, I am also a wild child! (for those who love Enya I think this song is fitting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkk0puI6NfA&ob=av2n). I nearly always wear my hair down and am a wash and go girl. I don't get tangles from wearing it down but my hair is not tangle prone at all. It might be better if I would wear it up more though and will be giving that a try during the winter :)

Modarunner
October 30th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I love to wear my hair down, but the biggest issue I have is that my hair tangles easily and detangling it causes breakage if I'm not careful. I also tend to catch it on lots of things. I try to wear it loose when I'm in my house and when I go out I try and braid it to keep the tangles to a minimum.