PDA

View Full Version : Cushion rollers

joflakes
October 29th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Like these: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Essentials-Small-Cushion-Hair-Rollers-T57-_1038183/

How do they work exactly? Would they be okay for my short short hair when wet and then left in over night/low heat blowdried as an alternative to curling tongs?

LaurelSpring
October 29th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I use them. They work fine for me. I would suggest getting some perm rolling papers (very cheap) and using those to smooth and hold the sections of hair before you wrap them. This really helps keep the hair from sticking out. To use the papers take a section of hair and then fold the paper in half and put it around the section of hair and slide it down to the ends then roll the hair. This also keeps the ends nice and smooth so that they dont get crinkly.

joflakes
October 29th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Cool, thanks! How long does the curl last? I'm excited to try something on my bad hair! Haha. If it makes me look nicer I'll be pleased.

delsh
October 29th, 2011, 09:57 AM
It's been a while since I've seen these! My mom used to put those in my hair when I was little :laugh: They worked really well, even with us squirmy kids. We'd put them in wet hair, clip them shut and sleep on them. Make sure you get larger rollers unless you want really tight curls - I remember taking them out one morning and having massive, Shirley Temple curls! They're fun, and definitely something to try :)

jaine
October 29th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Personally, I would vote for something that doesn't have plastic bits for your hair to catch on ... like these:
http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=10994592

Or these:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/conair-styling-essentials-pillow-soft-rollers/ID=prod3908584-product

Carolyn
October 29th, 2011, 10:07 AM
The plastic snap over parts will give you what we used to call "roller bumps". Not real attractive IMO but you might not mind the look. Maybe there is a way to roll without getting roller bumps but I never found a way. I switched to mesh rollers for a smoother look at the roots.

joflakes
October 29th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks both. I don't know that I could get away with anything other than the small rollers due to the length of my hair! I'll research it on Monday in Boots and see what they have, they may have something similar to that.

Siiri
October 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I use those sometimes, I just put them on damp hair and leave them to dry. I like to pin the curls loosely back to get a sort of an updo, because loose curls don't look good with my short hair, they stuck out too much, and the pinning sorts out the bumps you get with the rollers. The curls last much better than when I used a curling iron, I'd say probably two days for me. I've used these since my hair was barely chin length. I have rollers with diameter of one inch, it's the only size I've found here. I haven't had problems with hair catching in the plastic bit, but I can imagine it could happen with long hair.

joflakes
October 29th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I use those sometimes, I just put them on damp hair and leave them to dry. I like to pin the curls loosely back to get a sort of an updo, because loose curls don't look good with my short hair, they stuck out too much, and the pinning sorts out the bumps you get with the rollers. The curls last much better than when I used a curling iron, I'd say probably two days for me. I've used these since my hair was barely chin length. I have rollers with diameter of one inch, it's the only size I've found here. I haven't had problems with hair catching in the plastic bit, but I can imagine it could happen with long hair.

Thanks, Siiri! That's really useful. I was actually planning to use it for an updo in a kinda pinup style. I saw a tutorial on YouTube but didn't want to use heat!

jacqueline101
October 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I love foam rollers I have every size you can get. You dampen your hair after you comb it out as you're going to wear it. Like me I have a center part so I comb my hair with my center part. I used a touch of lottabody setting lotion. Keep in mind these were the days before joining here. Get a rat tail comb part hair into small sections no more then half the roller length. I found it easy for me to start at the top of my right side as close to the top of the head to roll them in going under. Make sure you keep the hair rows straight and repeat the same process through out the whole head. I wear mine over night to air dry. When taking them out you have to carefully unwind. Them start with the side you rolled first. I always used a pick comb to comb my hair.

joflakes
October 29th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I love foam rollers I have every size you can get. You dampen your hair after you comb it out as you're going to wear it. Like me I have a center part so I comb my hair with my center part. I used a touch of lottabody setting lotion. Keep in mind these were the days before joining here. Get a rat tail comb part hair into small sections no more then half the roller length. I found it easy for me to start at the top of my right side as close to the top of the head to roll them in going under. Make sure you keep the hair rows straight and repeat the same process through out the whole head. I wear mine over night to air dry. When taking them out you have to carefully unwind. Them start with the side you rolled first. I always used a pick comb to comb my hair.

Thank you, that's real helpful! Will it work without setting lotion and maybe a little hairspray?