PDA

View Full Version : Updos and tall chairs

moxamoll
October 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Now that I'm wearing my hair up more often, I'm running into a big frustration. When I put my hair in a bun or twist, I can't sit comfortably in seats with high backs - at movie theaters or in the car with the head arresters. With the hair all piled in one spot, it forces my head forward instead of sitting on top of my spine or I have to tip my chin.

I guess in the car, I can tip the seat back and only rest my lower back on it, but in the theater, there's not much that can be done that way. Does anyone else experience this problem? Is there a smart way of dealing with this I haven't thought of yet? It's easy enough do my hair differently for movies, I don't do that often, but I'm in the car almost every day!

Metallia
October 28th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Does anyone else experience this problem? Is there a smart way of dealing with this I haven't thought of yet?
This happens to me, too! Also a recent thing as I wear my hair up more. I hope someone has an idea because my solution is to plan to wear it down for long car rides (note: I don't drive so it wouldn't be in the way for me), or let my bun out and put it into a ponytail to fix later. I wish the headrest was removable on our car seats because it would be the perfect height then. Well, for me. Probably it would annoy everyone else. :p

Honestwitness
October 28th, 2011, 11:00 AM
i have this problem, too. So far, my solution is to get really good at doing quick updos that only require one hairstick. Being able to transition quickly between an updo and a downdo is a worthwhile skill to have, making it easier to adjust smoothly to changes in the environment. When I let my hair down, I either bring it all forward over one shoulder...or...divide it in half in the middle of the back and bring each half forward over the opposite shoulder. (Thanks to Madora for sharing that technique.)

Nae
October 28th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Yep, it is a pain. I find that ficcares sit flat enough that I can rest my head against the headrest in the car. Usually though I just sit a bit forward on the way to work/school. On the way home the stick is coming out!

heidi w.
October 28th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Happens to me all the time. Placement of bun locale on head matters. Try putting the bun a bit more on top of the head, OR wear it loose and have some kind of device for containing it in the car.

With my long hair I imagine being in a car accident and somehow caught in my hair. I'd rather have it up and out of the way.

heidi w.
ETA: Some older cars or cars in general allow for the removal of the headrest, and you can turn it around. I did it in my car; made all the difference. Just remembered that I did that.....

Cainwen
October 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM
For long car rides, I like braids, either single or double, or a really low cinnabun on the nape of my neck. But the back of my skull juts out fairly far so the bun ends up being flush with the back of my head.

For movie theaters, put the bun very high up? Having seen movie theater chairs in the light of day, I'd rather my hair not touch them. blech.

Lightningfury
October 28th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I have that problem too but I also can't stand my thick braid pressing into my back. If it's an up do I recline the seat and sit straight up. Long car rides I do the twin braids both for comfort and to keep them from getting caught in things.

At the movie theater if the chair gets in the way I usually end up just letting it down and laying it over my shoulder. Sometimes even if the chair doesn't get in the way I let it down like a cloak to keep me warm. Theaters are always so cold.

darklyndsea
October 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Head-eating buns mostly fix that problem, because they're usually flatter, and because they're taking up the whole of the back of your head there aren't problems when you turn your head. I'm talking about ones like the vortex bun or my go-to updo the past few days, which is the flutterby that I learned from torrinpaige on youtube with dutch braids instead of rope braids. I feel like I can sleep on the dutch flutterby, so it's probably good for driving/movies, but I haven't been in a situation to test it yet.

skyblue
October 28th, 2011, 01:22 PM
lol! I'm starting to hate going over my mothers house in the living room all her chairs and couch have high backs I end up with a neck ache every time I leave there!

Rhodugune
October 28th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I've have noticed that about car seats, really annoying and uncomfortable, so I usually have it down and put it up in a simple bun upon arrival or on long trips put it in a braid or two.

heidihug
October 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Please do remember that headrests are there for a reason in your car - to save your head/neck from horrible whiplash in an accident. I broke a hair toy when I was in an accident about 15 years ago, it snapped when my head hit the headrest. Did save my neck from being badly injured, though. In my car now, I can tilt the headrest back a bit, away from my head to accomodate when I'm rocking a back-of-the-head 'do.

torrilin
October 28th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I'd tend to say there's a couple things I do. I vary my bun position a lot. My "default" bun position is about midway between the nape of my neck and the top of my head. This position also causes the maximum inconvenience with high chairs, pillows, bike helmets and the like. The only updo that I find really works in that position is a French twist, which my hair really doesn't get on well with. A high bun where my hair is mostly sitting on top of my head tends to interfere the least with daily life. A very low bun that sits on my nape often doesn't interfere, but it can sometimes.

I vary the style. Some updos are very flat to your head, others stick out and are really voluminous. If I need the style to work with a car seat or something of that ilk, I'll go for a flatter style. A braid can be super flat and comfortable, and that tends to be how I get my hair out of the way in a hurry.

Madora
October 28th, 2011, 02:34 PM
@moxamoll...Would a lace braid help? Or Heidi braids?

SunnyRainStorm
October 28th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I have noticed the same problem with car headrests. It is so annoying. A low ponytail may be you best bet and just sweep your hair to the side. When you arrive at your destination put it in an undo.

moxamoll
October 28th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I think I'm going to have to practice getting my hair into a bun quickly! I can braid pretty quick, but buns still take some thought. And look into some of the flatter bun styles... I always think people are exaggerating a wee bit when they carry on about how thick my hair is - but it sure piles up quick back there! LOL I'm looking forward to it getting longer but if it stays thick, it's gonna be a lot of hair.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

JuliaDancer
October 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I actually plan ahead when I go to movie theatres for hair comfort! Either I do like Honestwitness says and put in an easy bun that can be taken down, or I'll do pigtail braids that I can move to the front. Or a crown braid or pigtail braids wrapped around the head is also pretty flat on the back of the head.

MrsGuther
October 28th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Now that I'm wearing my hair up more often, I'm running into a big frustration. When I put my hair in a bun or twist, I can't sit comfortably in seats with high backs - at movie theaters or in the car with the head arresters. With the hair all piled in one spot, it forces my head forward instead of sitting on top of my spine or I have to tip my chin.

I guess in the car, I can tip the seat back and only rest my lower back on it, but in the theater, there's not much that can be done that way. Does anyone else experience this problem? Is there a smart way of dealing with this I haven't thought of yet? It's easy enough do my hair differently for movies, I don't do that often, but I'm in the car almost every day!

I've had the same problem with the movie theater chairs. I usually take my hair down once I sit down in the chair at the theater, or braid it to the side so it doesn't get scrubbed by the chair back.