PDA

View Full Version : Splits and hair color

jhill923
October 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Anyone have an opinion on whether splits are more or less visible on brown (dark) hair or blonde hair? I color my hair brown right now, but Im wondering if splits would be less visible on blonde hair. Anyone ever notice ? (Im gonna have splits no matter what I do, so better to disguise them than have short hair ! LoL)

isabelx
October 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure split ends would be more visible on darker hair, especially ends that aren't quite split yet and just show a white dot or a white dot up the length of hair, they wouldn't be as visible in blonde hair :)

ktani
October 28th, 2011, 10:25 AM
White dots would no doubt show up more on dark hair except that they are not really white and can look like a dust spec.

Not all splits have white dots. Not all white dots become split ends (mine do not).

I knew someone with naturally almost black hair and her splits did not show (and no visible white dots).

thelittlestdoc
October 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Splits are much more visible on dark hair. They're such a pain on my dark brown hair!

julliams
October 28th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I could be way out of wack here but I find I notice people's splits on dyed hair more. But this could be that those particular people dye and use heat alot more??? In any case, the only time I've noticed splits when I'm out and about (queing etc) is on people with dyed hair.

ktani
October 28th, 2011, 06:47 PM
When I did have split ends they were the same colour as my hair with no white dots.

My sister's hair when it was long and dyed a light brown/blonde did not show a colour change where her splits were either. That may be related to the use of heat.

MissManda
October 28th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Good question! :)

I'm not observant enough to give any concrete evidence, but I think it probably depends on the hair's fineness or coarseness, its condition, and the texture more than it does with color. :shrug: Splits might have an easier time hiding in wavier or curlier hair types.

missmelaniem
October 28th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I have dark brown hair that I color and as long as I soap cap the ends with dye regularly (or use a shampoo and condish like Aveda Black Malva) then I cant really see the splits. Serum helps too!

ange1ito
October 28th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I found my splits were less visible when I had jet black hair, but now I'm back to my original hair shade I notice them more, then again I hold a x3 magnifying mirror to the ends to check in natural light.
Semi permanent and oiling decreased the damage I was getting from my original method of dying with permanent dyes. My daughter is natural and has hardly any splits in comparison to me and she straightens it regularly. She wanted to dye it but I advised her against it because of this. I only dye mine as I don't like my grey strands!!!

blondie9912
October 28th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Blonde hair definitely disguises splits better! That being said, if you have to bleach your hair in order to get it to be blonde, the damage will most likely cause splits, which is a little counter-intuitive :)

jhill923
October 28th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I have dark brown hair that I color and as long as I soap cap the ends with dye regularly (or use a shampoo and condish like Aveda Black Malva) then I cant really see the splits. Serum helps too!

What does soap cap mean ??

Quixii
October 28th, 2011, 10:46 PM
My splits on my blonde hair are barely noticeable. I only notice at all in some lights if I'm intentionally looking.
However, my mom's brown hair definitely showcases her splits.
Makes sense. :shrug:

fairystar32
October 29th, 2011, 01:00 AM
You cannot see my sisters who is blonde, but mine stand out, so I would say yes more visible the darker the hair.