PDA

View Full Version : Dye hair lighter?

unknown
October 27th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I want to dye my hair a dark purple. I have dyed my hair once without lightening and the colour was pretty in sunlight but didn't show up at all indoors.

My hair is dark brown/black which I'd like to lighten to a light brown colour so that the purple dye will be brighter.

I do not want to use bleach, but blonde hairdye instead as I've heard a lot of people and hairdressers say that you can lighten your hair with simply dye unless your hair has been dyed before.

Will this work? Has anyone here tried this?

heartgoesboom
October 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM
yes, you can look at my pictures, i had light hair without the use of bleach. i would use the lightest blonde hair dye. it should work to lighten it so you can dye it to purple.

unknown
October 27th, 2011, 04:09 PM
yes, you can look at my pictures, i had light hair without the use of bleach. i would use the lightest blonde hair dye. it should work to lighten it so you can dye it to purple.

It looks really good. Did it damage your hair more than normal dye does, and did you get a warm or a cool tone to your hair (kind of hard to see on my screen)?

heartgoesboom
October 27th, 2011, 04:16 PM
the damage came because i kept dying over it and because i religiously ironed my hair. so i think you should be fine if you are dying it just once. don't forget to do a coconut oil treatment before dying - i wish i knew that before! i also used hair dyes with the word ash in them... sorry, i can't remember warm and cool, lol.

celebriangel
October 27th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Yes, if you're not looking to go loads lighter, peroxide on its own without bleach will be perfectly all right to lighten your hair.

As the above poster said, use coconut oil (cold pressed, unrefined) applied to hair and scalp at least an hour before dyeing. It won't prevent the dye from taking and will prevent much of the damage. Also, do roots only.