PDA

View Full Version : Hair lightening with essential oils

maria_tasha
October 27th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I just did a scalp teatment with castor oil, EVOO and a couple of essential oils: orange, fenel, rosemary, ylang-ylang and lavander and kept it for 2-3 hours. Meanwhile I did a body wrap with clay, EVOO and the above mentioned essential oils. After I washed them out both my skin and my hai colour are lighter. I have dark black hair and would like to keep it that way. Although I searched this on the internet I couldn't find anything beside the fact that EVOO has lightening poperties. I suspect the orange oil being a citrus. What do you think? Has this ever happened to you?

ktani
October 27th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I just did a scalp teatment with castor oil, EVOO and a couple of essential oils: orange, fenel, rosemary, ylang-ylang and lavander and kept it for 2-3 hours. Meanwhile I did a body wrap with clay, EVOO and the above mentioned essential oils. After I washed them out both my skin and my hai colour are lighter. I have dark black hair and would like to keep it that way. Although I searched this on the internet I couldn't find anything beside the fact that EVOO has lightening poperties. I suspect the orange oil being a citrus. What do you think? Has this ever happened to you?

Here is an "old" thread on the topic, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9213

maria_tasha
October 27th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Thank you very much ktani. So don't use orange essential oil with olive oil unless you want a lighter shade.

ktani
October 27th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Thank you very much ktani. So don't use orange essential oil with olive oil unless you want a lighter shade.

You are very welcome. Olive oil alone or extra virgin olive oil has not to my knowledge, been reported to lighten hair when used on its own.

In a solution like honey lightening, it has been helpful as a booster, or increasing lightening with its peroxide value.

Citrus essential oils do not lighten that I know of but in sunlight, aside from photosensitivity, it may boost the UV lightening. I would have to check that out but it would be logical to me that if lemon juice can, the essential citrus oils may contribute to that too or it could be the UV on its own.

I usually review research I have or take the time to look something up from a reputable source if I am unsure of something. In this case I have not searched beyond finding that link.

ktani
October 27th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Here you go, http://essentialoilworld.com/essentialoilreviews/lemon-essential-oil

"Caution: If you put lemon essential oil on your skin, avoid direct sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying. Citrus essential oils react with sunlight and can cause discoloration of the skin when exposed to light for up to 12 hours. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid using on infants and very small children. Do not use near fire, flame, heat or sparks."

maria_tasha
October 28th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Thank you again for the info. The fact is that i stayed indoors and had my hair covered with a scarf. Now in direct daylight it's visibly a lighter shade. Oh well.