PDA

View Full Version : Biotin Supplement decrease natural production?

Amiblue
October 27th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Just wondering: Does taking biotin decrease your bodies natural production the same way that taking a thyroid medication to increase weight loss causes hypothyroidism?

BVU
December 28th, 2022, 09:25 PM
The body doesn't produce biotin (other than the small amount of biotin in your gut), BUT studies are starting to show that taking supplements your body naturally creates can be very damaging long term and causes your body to stop producing it properly (such as melatonin). I never recommend someone take supplements unless you are advised to by your doctor, ESPECIALLY if you live in America where theres very little regulation of supplements and hundereds of lawsuits constantly being swept under the rug, it's not worth the risk! Unless you are deficit in it, leave it alone.

Edit: Oh, I didn't realize how old this was, my bad

Shorty89
December 28th, 2022, 10:25 PM
The body doesn't produce biotin (other than the small amount of biotin in your gut), BUT studies are starting to show that taking supplements your body naturally creates can be very damaging long term and causes your body to stop producing it (such as melatonin). I never recommend someone take supplements unless you are advised to by your doctor, ESPECIALLY if you live in America where theres very little regulation of supplements and hundereds of lawsuits constantly being swept under the rug, it's not worth the risk! Unless you are deficit in it, leave it alone.

Edit: Oh, I didn't realize how old this was, my bad

I'm curious about that study.

Arcticfoxes
January 3rd, 2023, 01:00 AM
i don't think it would work the same with biotin since it is a vitamin present in our food, would be weird for the body to react poorly to eating healthy food, that said i imagine if someone was taking too much biotin the body might downregulate its own production since it becomes unnecessary. but then i believe it would upregulate it when one stops taking it, maintaining homeostasis.

that would be my theory based on my understanding of bodily mechanisms in general.

i don't take biotin specifically, but I do supplement zinc, vit D and B vitamins (all which many people are low on) and that usually includes biotin in it as part of the b vit complex. I've never noticed a difference taking biotin alone or not and wouldn't go out of my way to get it.