PDA

View Full Version : hair color on your driver's license

lastnite
October 27th, 2011, 09:42 AM
so... I have to get my ID renewed in a couple of months and thinking about what hair color to put down. yeah, yeah....who worries about those little details when getting your license/ID? lol

anyway, If you color your hair, what do you put? Your dyed color or your natural color? What if you change your hair colors often?

manderly
October 27th, 2011, 09:44 AM
LOL, I'm always concerned that if I go missing they won't be able to find me because they'll be searching for someone who looks like me but is 30 lbs lighter. :lol:

I'm not sure what to put for color, I put brown :)

Rosetta
October 27th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Do US driver's licenses/ID's/passports really mention one's hair colour? :confused:
Well, I guess they do as otherwise this thread wouldn't exist, d'oh, but I'm just so surprised at this, as here they don't.

I can imagine that must be a bit difficult for people who dye their hair :wink:

PinkyCat
October 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM
NYS Driver Licenses do not list hair color. They list eye color and height. Not sure about other states though.

JuliaDancer
October 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I would think you would put your natural hair color.

ttverdy
October 27th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I don't know! I thought they told me, rather than asking me :) Mine just says red, which is my natural color. Good luck!

racrane
October 27th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I live in WI and I put down my natural hair color, which is blonde.

joflakes
October 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
No hair colours on driving licences in the UK either. Just a dodgy photo for me!

Zesty
October 27th, 2011, 11:28 AM
No hair color on IDs here in Kentucky. I always thought that made the most sense, since it's so easy to change hair color. :shrug:

Anje
October 27th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Mine says red. WI didn't have "auburn" as an option, and I just stuck with "red" when I moved.

MissAlyssa
October 27th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I was told to put my natural color which is blonde, but it seems kinda funny because you see the picture next to it and I have dark hair haha. And I look very different with dark hair as opposed to light hair, so I'm always afraid people are gonna think its a fake ID or something :P

heartgoesboom
October 27th, 2011, 01:55 PM
hm, i'm in nj and we only have to list eye color and height. my hair color is dark blonde/light brown in my license and i currently have dark brown and my passport has black, lol, no one ever gave me grief for it. anyway, i would put whatever color is in the pic in the photo.

xoerincolleen
October 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
My license doesn't list hair color, but my passport says "light brown".

Springlets
October 27th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I was told to put my natural color which is blonde, but it seems kinda funny because you see the picture next to it and I have dark hair haha. And I look very different with dark hair as opposed to light hair, so I'm always afraid people are gonna think its a fake ID or something :P

This was the same thing that happened when I renewed my ID when I turned 20. I had thought by that time my hair had finally crossed from blonde to light brown so I put brown on the application, but the lady changed it to blonde herself! I was surprised, but then I saw the picture and it totally looks dark brown! Lol it must be something about the cameras there, it seems impossible to take a good picture.

ETA: I think you are supposed to put whatever your hair color is currently. There is no point to putting your natural color if you are dyeing it something else. The point of putting it on there is to help identify you if you're lost or in trouble with the law. ;)

ebba
October 27th, 2011, 02:37 PM
im in Canada and mine says brown :/

lizdini
October 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I put my natural color. I think that's what you're supposed to do?

owlathena
October 27th, 2011, 03:40 PM
They probably want your natural hair color, but I'm not sure. You could ask the teller at the DOL. I'm going to get my new license soon (turning 21! yay!). I'm excited to not be 15 in my picture and to not have it say I'm 15lbs heavier than I am.

Alun
October 27th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Maryland just has sex, height and weight. I don't know what I weigh. I always tell them 200. It's a round number, and they won't let me leave it blank!

Cirafly24
October 27th, 2011, 06:34 PM
My NY license just showed my height and eye color, but my WI license shows height, eye color, hair color, and weight! When I saw that on the form, I was shocked. I said "do I really have to fill this out?" and I was told most definitely yes. That's such a private thing, at least for me, that I don't want to show my license to ANYONE! (at the time I lied by about 50 pounds ;), happy to say it's very accurate now)

I just put brown for my hair color.

PixxieStix
October 27th, 2011, 06:42 PM
My first license, I was able to put "Auburn" for my hair color, but since I had to choose between red and brown the next time, I put down red. We're supposed to use our natural color.

Mesmerise
October 27th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Oh gosh! We don't have ANY of that on our license! Not height, or weight, or hair or eye colour. Apart from height, the rest are all sort of stupid... I mean our licenses last 10 years, and a person's weight can change heaps in that time. Mine certainly did :p when I first got my license I was like 45kg, and was a good 20kg (over 40lbs) heavier 10 years and a couple of kids later!!

And as for hair colour - well it can change a LOT! In 10 years I went from black, to red, to blonde, and to brown!!

And eyes - I wore green contacts for years, so even eye colour won't necessarily be the same! And what about those people who get eyeball tattoos :bigeyes:.

But errm if I WAS asked those things, I'd say "red" for my hair colour. It's hennaed, but I have no immediate plans to stop hennaing my hair (for one cause it's so darn permanent, and for another cause I like it and it covers my greys naturally).

freckles
October 28th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Oh gosh! We don't have ANY of that on our license! Not height, or weight, or hair or eye colour. Apart from height, the rest are all sort of stupid... I mean our licenses last 10 years, and a person's weight can change heaps in that time. Mine certainly did :p when I first got my license I was like 45kg, and was a good 20kg (over 40lbs) heavier 10 years and a couple of kids later!!

And as for hair colour - well it can change a LOT! In 10 years I went from black, to red, to blonde, and to brown!!

And eyes - I wore green contacts for years, so even eye colour won't necessarily be the same! And what about those people who get eyeball tattoos :bigeyes:.

But errm if I WAS asked those things, I'd say "red" for my hair colour. It's hennaed, but I have no immediate plans to stop hennaing my hair (for one cause it's so darn permanent, and for another cause I like it and it covers my greys naturally).

yeah I'm glad we don't have to fill out any of that stuff either. It also seems so silly and subjective. I'm glad I was only asked truly properly known things, like date of birth and address. Otherwise I might have been too indecisive to get a license :p

GlassWidow
October 28th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I was giggling when I opened this thread because I thought it was going to be about how awful the pictures are on licenses and other ID's. I didn't realize that some states write in hair color. Then I pulled my license out to check and realized my state doesn't write down hair color, nor does it include eye color anymore, either; only height. I guess hair color, eye color and weight are things that one can easily change. I can't imagine you could change your height very much, at least without something major happening.

Then I got giggling because the color balance is so off on my license that my hair is a very saturated, screaming orange. Against the bright blue background, it's really something else! :lol:

Magdalene
October 28th, 2011, 10:29 AM
so... I have to get my ID renewed in a couple of months and thinking about what hair color to put down. yeah, yeah....who worries about those little details when getting your license/ID? lol

anyway, If you color your hair, what do you put? Your dyed color or your natural color? What if you change your hair colors often?

There is no entry for it on my DL