PDA

View Full Version : Irritation from conditioner

dRummie
October 26th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Hi all! I've been using the TreSemme naturals conditioners for many months now and like them a lot, but recently I figured out that they are the cause of the hand irritation I get after hair washing. The skin on my hands is more sensitive due to eczema, so I consider this a warning sign. I've already had to stop CO due to (scalp) itching, though that took many applications. At the time I thought CO was just not for me, but now I'm questioning whether it may have been the specific conditioner I was using. Since then I've kept using it for SMTs, and it seems the itching is starting after just one overnight application, something I didn't notice before the CO venture. Needless to say, I'm going to find another product... but does anyone have thoughts on which ingredient is more likely to be the culprit? TIA :flower:

Here are the ingredients common to both the Nourishing Moisture and Radiant Volume formulations, since they are the ones I've tried:
Water (Aqua) , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Caprylic , Capric Triglyceride , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Fragrance (Parfum) , Lauroyl Lysine , Caprylyl Glycol, Aspartic Acid , Distearyldimonium Chloride , Citric Acid , Alcohol , Isopropyl Alcohol

tigereye
October 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM
It's hard to tell with just one conditioner which is the offending ingredient. Also, because so many cosmetics just say "fragnance" or "parfum", you never know exactly what it is that causes it.
I know I'm allergic to a lot of perfumes and body sprays, but have yet to find out exactly what it is that causes it. I know there are two or three that I know I'm fine with, but ingredients can vary so wildly from product to product that it is difficult to find the cause.

I think the most common irritants tend to be fragnances or preservatives, but can honestly be almost anything. If you use other cosmetic products that you are fine with, maybe see if any of them have some of the ingredients, then you can rule them out, at least

ktani
October 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM
The fragrance is fairly high on the list.

Keep this list and compare it to others that you had no problems with, and try to narrow it down.