PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Curlies with Dandruff

lacefrost
October 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I recently tried stretching my cowashes and while it made my hair AWESOME it made my scalp really flaky and gunky. Now I have all this dandruff which is driving me nuts. I tried my usual methods of cowashing and shampooing in big braids (to prevent tangles) but it didn't work.

So now I'm not sure what to do. I'm about to just go nuts and shampoo my hair hardcore even though I know it'd make my hair super tangly. Is it possible to get the gunk out WITHOUT tangling my hair up?

Please help!

StormVixen
October 26th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure... I use Head and Shoulders when I need to... but I had to go as far as a pharmacy only shampoo recently... Monistat or other anti-fungal products can help too...

none of the natural stuff worked for me, unfortunately, they usually just made it worse!

eta: Maybe apply shampoo to scalp after hair has been detangled and is still full of conditioner... :)

McFearless
October 26th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Maybe a little olive oil applied while your scalp is damp would help. Use only so much that will be absorbed. Changes in routine cause the scalp to freak out a little, but it should settle down soon.

Mountaingrrl
October 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
If you haven't already, I'd recommend trying CWC. I've had good results with Tea Tree Triple Treat on the scalp and various conditioners on the length. As McFearless says, my scalp calmed down after awhile, too.

katsrevenge
October 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Have you tried apple cider vinegar rinses? Those work wonders on my scalp!

I do a smidge of cider vinegar in a regular sized water bottle, fill it up and soak the scalp with it. Sometimes I rinse it out, sometimes I don't.

jacqueline101
October 30th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I feel for you I have the same problem. I went to the local dollar store and got a lice comb and the ingredients for a scalp exfolicate my head. You will need cheap condish, vinegar water and brown sugar and a bowl. Mix brown sugar into a paste wet hair apply mixture to your scalp and use fingers to rub into a circular motion. Start at the nape of the neck and go towards top of the head. It helps to get sectioning clips. When you're done exfoliate your scalp use vinegar to rinse out the mixture and follow with an anti fungal product I'm using monistat. The lice comb is used for scratching the danderuff loose prior to exfoliate. You wash detangle hair and put the comb in your hair making little sweeping motions. Then do treatment.

CurlyCap
October 30th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Though a lot of people put it down, Head n Shoulder (The 2n1) is what works for me. I only wash my hair 1x a week, and if I use HnS, I don't have any scalp problems. It's a harsh shampoo, but it's only once a week and my scalp likes the "fresh and starting over" feel.

I co-wash with oil+conditioner for the rest of the week.

CurlyMopTop
October 30th, 2011, 07:38 PM
You could try a brown surger scrub. Mix a couple of Tabl. of Brown surger with Olive Oil until well blended then apply to scalp and massage in. Rinse, then wash with your usual method, or try a CWC (using a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the build up). I've been doing well with stretching washes, but only because I've been making sure that it drys as straight as possible, then tangle teasing and bbb once a day on the in between days and keeping it up. My hair's not super thick and has 3a/3b curls though, so I've been able to get away with the brushing so far. I have used this scrub before though with good results. Good luck! :D

Sanyia
October 30th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Nizoral. It's expensive but it gets rid of the stuff in one to two washings. It's like hitting the reset button for my scalp.

I tried CO a few times and that's what happened. But with oil shampoo or CWC I did not get any scalp problems.

lacefrost
November 2nd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys :) I CWC'd and all the yuckiness went away. I still have a coupla flakes in my bang area but I think that's from dryness. Plus, it didn't dry my hair out the way I thought it would. Now my hair is happily clarified and fluffy and everything.