PDA

View Full Version : Oil for short hair

joflakes
October 26th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I feel a bit silly posting this, but I couldn't find anything in the search so I'm gonna ask anyway!

I bought some hair and scalp oil, with coconut, sweet almond, and jojoba oils in it along with some EOs and I am now wondering exactly how/when I should apply it?

Do you warm some of it up like a VO5 hot oil treatment? Leave it overnight? How exactly do you get it from the bottle to the scalp - brush/comb/paintbrush?!

Like I said sorry if I seem a little naive! :oops:

DancingQueen
October 26th, 2011, 07:03 AM
That's not naive, I was wondering the exact same thing :) I use a solid oil, so I just put a bit on my fingers, warm it up between my palms, and massage into the scalp. Usually I just braid it and leave it in overnight, then wash out in the morning. :)

You can also check out youtube videos, there are a lot of different methods.

joflakes
October 26th, 2011, 07:20 AM
That's not naive, I was wondering the exact same thing :) I use a solid oil, so I just put a bit on my fingers, warm it up between my palms, and massage into the scalp. Usually I just braid it and leave it in overnight, then wash out in the morning. :)

You can also check out youtube videos, there are a lot of different methods.

Glad it isn't just me! I'll check out YouTube as well.

Thanks

joflakes
October 26th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Anyone else?

JaneinMarch
October 26th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I like to rub a dollop (7 or 8 drops) of coconut oil all over my hair and scalp before rinsing/washing. It's about one inch all over, and I pretty much stick to coconut oil since it keeps my scalp from itching. I don't need a brush or comb to distribute the oil because my hair's so short, and I usually leave it on no longer than an hour before washing out. Sometimes just five minutes and I still have good results.

moxamoll
October 26th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but another thing that is mentioned here quite often is to use a BBB to distribute oils through the hair. You could give that a try.

joflakes
October 26th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks both. I just got a bit in my palm and rubbed it with my other fingers into the scalp and then onto the hair. Leaving it on overnight so will update tomorrow!

Lissandria
October 26th, 2011, 04:34 PM
you can do a heavy oiling/soak before you wash and a light oiling as a leave in after a shampoo adding more if required. That's what I do with my coconut oil :)

joflakes
October 27th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Thanks!
I did a cautious oiling last night before I went to sleep, then when I woke up I went in the shower and just used shampoo, then finger combed my hair and let it air dry. It feels fabulous! The down side was that the oil made my head itch a bit, but then again my head is always itchy. It's worth it!

Aredhel77
October 27th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I sometimes put oil either in a dropper or in a clean colourant bottle (the sort with a long applicator nozzle), that way I can apply it right onto the scalp. You can use as much as you like and leave it in as long as you like.

The oil may actually soothe your itchy scalp if you can persist with it (obviously this is a no-no if it reacts very badly in any way in which case you would need to stop!)

All of the methods you mentioned in your original post can be used to oil hair, including heating it a little. The only downside to that is: if your mixture has pure essential oils in it, they would lose some of their beneficial properties if heated.

HOW much you use on your hair is up to you. Hope that helps!

BTW some people find that if you heavily oil your hair it is easier to remove it by soaking your hair in a lot of conditioner for 10 mins, massaging it into the hair well, rinsing and then washing it as you normally would followed by conditioner if you wish. You may have read that here already though :flower:

allmixedup88
October 27th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I use coconut oil when it is solid on my hair and it's pretty easy to use.
Other oils (grapeseed/olive) I mix with some DC and apply.
I have found mixing it with DC helps make it less drippy.
When I apply oil straight it drips like crazy and drives me up the walls.

DancingQueen
October 27th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Thanks!
I did a cautious oiling last night before I went to sleep, then when I woke up I went in the shower and just used shampoo, then finger combed my hair and let it air dry. It feels fabulous! The down side was that the oil made my head itch a bit, but then again my head is always itchy. It's worth it!

The first time I did it my head was itching like crazy as well, and I got a major headache. But the second time i didn't have any issues at all, no itching and no headache. So it gets better. :)

joflakes
October 27th, 2011, 03:49 AM
DancingQueen - I'm glad to hear that! I'll have another go tomorrow I think, will leave it this evening, don't want to go overdoing it!

celebriangel
October 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM
You could also take about 1 drop and smooth it over the very ends of your hair. It's possible to do in a pixie - I did for my friend who's growing out hers.

You could also warm the oil up for your prewash treatment.