PDA

View Full Version : Premature greying

amantha
October 25th, 2011, 11:56 PM
So among the multitude of crappy genes I inherited from my mother, premature greying was one of them. I found my first grey hair when I was 21, and since then I've accumulated up to around 10 (that I've been able to find) all around the crown and temples of my head, mostly on the right side. I'm now 24, so this is bumming me out a lot. I just found and tweezed out another 4 grey hairs in the bathroom.

So I have a few questions. First, who else here started greying prematurely? Did it bother you? Do you dye your hair? I really love my natural color, so I don't want to dye my hair until I get around 20 or so hairs because it will be hard to keep track of them at that point. My hair dresser told me she can do a semi-permanent dye to cover the greys when the time comes, that won't damage my hair and will allow me to keep my natural color underneath. I'm trying to avoid this as much as I can though since it costs more money.

Second, in 2 or 3 of the hairs I pulled out tonight, there were alternating parts of the strand that were grey, and then my natural color, and back to grey, and so on (these strands were about 6 inches). I thought that once a hair follicle goes grey it's grey forever? Is it seriously possible to reverse greying? One of the hairs I pulled out was about 4 inches long, but the inch nearest my scalp was my natural color, and getting even darker near the root. The others had bands of my natural color in between with grey near the roots. How does this even happen? ETA: I go through periods where I'm really good about taking my vitamins, then I forget to for a month. Although recent health issues have forced me to be extremely consistent the past month in taking them. Could this be a contributing factor to reversing the grey? END ETA.

Also, I know there are a lot of renegrays on this board. Although I love the idea of embracing one's grey hair, and I do find sparkles on a lot of other women to be really beautiful, I just really don't like how they look on me. I guess part of me can't get over the idea of "I'm only 24, I'm too young to have grey hair."

Sorry for kind of rambling...I'm just having a mini freak out. It's stupid, I know....because there are way worse things in the world to freak out about right now. Anyway, I would love to hear your guys' thoughts!

taimatsuko
October 26th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I don't know If I can help out any. I'm prematurely turning grey a bit too (I'm 24), but it doesn't really bother me. I'm rather excited about it actually and I don't mind letting them show. I feel it makes me look more wise or distinguished. I've had a couple that are grey and then dark and then grey but I have no idea what causes it. I will say that if you stress about your hair, you are going to get grey even quicker. Also, there is a saying that it you pull out a grey hair, 5 more will grow in it's place. And I think it will stress your scalp out. Maybe dye is the way to go?

W2
October 26th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Weeeeeeell - found the first grays when I was 14 - a bit premature I think!! :(

Up til I was about 20 I just pulled them out, but by then, there were to many, so I started dying - and has been ever since.

Now I'm going to let it grow out - I reached 40 - and think they look okay.

amantha
October 26th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. :) I'm still really confused by the grey strands alternating between my natural color and grey. It's making me think that during the grey parts, I was undernourished and then I was getting the proper nutrients again so it switched back to my natural color. Or I was stressed and then not stressed, etc. I was also thinking that maybe it's the follicle "sputtering" as it's ultimately failing at producing pigment. I found and pulled out another 2 after making this thread. *sigh*.

turtlelover
October 26th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I hated mine when I had a couple of dozen, but once you have 100s, it starts to look better. When I had just a few, I used Robert Craig dye. It is VERY non-damaging, less messy than henna, and no smell/burning feeling. If I ever go back to coloring, I will use Robert Craig.

jojo
October 26th, 2011, 08:27 AM
To be honest i wouldn't call 24 too young to get greys, id call 4 year old like my daughter got odd ones young or 14 like a previous poster but I know many people who have had the odd grey in their 20's!

Its just part of life! can sometimes be down to hypothyroidism or zinc deficiencies though!

amantha
October 26th, 2011, 08:38 AM
To be honest i wouldn't call 24 too young to get greys, id call 4 year old like my daughter got odd ones young or 14 like a previous poster but I know many people who have had the odd grey in their 20's!

Its just part of life! can sometimes be down to hypothyroidism or zinc deficiencies though!

I mean it's not TOO young to get greys....but most people don't start seeing grey hairs until their 30's....so I feel like it's somewhat premature. I also wouldn't be surprised if I was deficient in many nutrients because my diet is rather poor, and the Metformin I take really upsets my stomach. I was taking a multivitamin that had 100% daily allowance of iron in it and still managed to become severely iron deficient. Who knows what else I'm not getting? At least I know I don't have hypothyroidism because they tested me for that when they tested my iron levels to rule everything out. Whew!

I wouldn't really care if I had 5 or less greys.....but I think after last night I'm somewhere around 15 or so. Getting close to where I'm thinking of dying it and I really don't want to do that. Going to see if I can keep up with pulling them out every few months.

Mainly I posted this because I've never heard of grey hair strands alternating between grey and one's natural hair color before. So I was really confused and wanted to know if others experienced the same or if anyone had an explanation. A previous posted did mention she had a similar thing happen to her...so at least I'm not the only one with the alternating grey strands! :)

Also your 4 yr old daughter has greys? That's so strange! I feel like those must be "rogue" hairs...as my mother calls them. They're just hairs that for whatever reason, the pigment producing part of the follicle is mutated and stops producing pigment at a very young age.

moxamoll
October 26th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I started getting my first silver hairs when I was about 17. By the time I was in my 20's I definitely had more than 20! I've died my hair lots of colours over the years, but it wasn't to cover the rogues, it was just 'cause I wanted different coloured hair. :)

I do know that it's possible for the melanin to "stutter" as you describe it - some of my hairs are like that and my dog has a bunch! We call it zebra hair.

This seems to sum up external factors related to greying:
"While genetics is the most common cause of gray hair, other things can contribute to graying. Lack of B vitamins, particularly pantothenic acid; poor nutrition; anemia (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-anemia.htm), the lack of iron in the blood; thyroid (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-thyroid.htm) problems; and even smoking can contribute to gray hair. Smokers are believed to gray at an earlier rate because smoking depletes oxygen (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-oxygen.htm) in the bodies tissues." You might consider trying a Vitamin B supplement, if you think your diet is lacking.

amantha
October 26th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I started getting my first silver hairs when I was about 17. By the time I was in my 20's I definitely had more than 20! I've died my hair lots of colours over the years, but it wasn't to cover the rogues, it was just 'cause I wanted different coloured hair. :)

I do know that it's possible for the melanin to "stutter" as you describe it - some of my hairs are like that and my dog has a bunch! We call it zebra hair.

This seems to sum up external factors related to greying:
"While genetics is the most common cause of gray hair, other things can contribute to graying. Lack of B vitamins, particularly pantothenic acid; poor nutrition; anemia (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-anemia.htm), the lack of iron in the blood; thyroid (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-thyroid.htm) problems; and even smoking can contribute to gray hair. Smokers are believed to gray at an earlier rate because smoking depletes oxygen (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-oxygen.htm) in the bodies tissues." You might consider trying a Vitamin B supplement, if you think your diet is lacking.

Thanks moxamoll! Zebra hair is definitely a good way to describe them! :p I've recently started being vigilant about taking my multivitamin...which has a ton of everything...including anywhere between 300-5000% of all the B vitamins. I also take an extra iron supplement (for the iron deficiency), fish oil, alpha lipoic acid, magnesium, and an extra B2. So hopefully the stuttering is just from lack of nutrients. Who knows how long I've been iron deficient....I feel like it's been AT LEAST 6 months, if not longer. 6 months ago is when I started noticing obvious symptoms, but wasn't diagnosed until 1 month ago. But since you referenced that iron deficiency can lead to greys, I'm going to hold out hope that the stuttering ones will knock it off and go back to my natural hair color once my iron gets back up. :)

I also smoke socially. Like I'll go out on the weekend and go on a smoking binge. I haven't had the urge to smoke lately when I've been out, so I'm going to cut that out too, since it's not only terrible for aging, but also terrible for your health. My mom didn't get greys until her late 20's. However my brother, who has always smoked a lot more than me, started greying around the age I did and is now probably 40% grey at only 32 yrs old.

Celtic Morla
October 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I found my first grey hair at 13 or should I say my "not so "DSis did and yanked it out along with about a dime sized section of hair! By the time I got married at 20 I had a grey streeak at my right temple and was dyeing. Now at 45 I have a lot of grey but mine is translucent so by the time it gets down my back it picks up the blond of my hair so I have grey scalp and blond length-loosk very wierd! My GDad was tooally grey at 33, my mum at 42 so I figure if I follow suit I should be al grye in my early 50's! Unless I henna it which I have been debating about a lot!

Inching Along
October 26th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I discovered a tiny patch of gray hairs on top of my head when I was 7 years old. I used to have my mom cut them for me, but I think the size of the patch grew, and the shorty hairs then looked funny, so I let them grow. I didn't think the streak, as I now call it, was very noticeable when I was in school, but I did get asked every now and then if I knew I had paint in my hair. :) When my hair was straighter and I wore it in kind of a bob style, the streak looked really neat against my brown hair. Now, maybe due to where I part my hair, I have a very thin streak on the right and a fatter streak on the left. And, because my hair is now curly, the streak on the left has decided that it wants to curl in two different directions, LOL!

So I am also getting gray hair throughout my hair now (I'm 43), and I'm contemplating using henna + indigo in the future. The last time I had a demi-permanent dye, I had the stylist leave out my gray streak. It's part of me. :)

JuliaDancer
October 26th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I think grey hair has a lot more to do with genetics than nutrition. I've always had a pretty healthy diet including vegetables, meats, fish, and fruit, but I started greying at around 15 or 16. I guess every year since then I've gotten a couple more. But they all come out in a streak near the front of my face, kind of like Rogue, but more sparse. I love them, and I'm really hoping to get that bright white streak, but for now, people only notice it sometimes. I think we notice our greys before other people do. My streak is pretty obvious, but people I've known for months will suddenly say "wow I never noticed all your white hair!" My twin sister has much fewer greys, but they are also scattered throughout her hair, so they're even less obvious. She doesn't like hers, because she says they're not "cool" like mine. Are your hairs scattered about or concentrated? Maybe if you stop plucking and let them grow in, it will look better? I used to pluck when I was a teenager, but they always grew back in sticking straight up and super obvious.... didn't look good... As for the striping, maybe your individual follices may have been stunted for a while in color production? Or maybe it's sputtering out of color? I haven't had this happen to me.

uptosomeone
October 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I can't wait til I have gray hair, I think you're lucky :)

bratz81
October 26th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I found my first grey hair at 15/16 age...and I've been dyeing my hair since I was 20 until recently (I'm 29) just becuase I wanted to try all sorts of colours and shades.

I'm now letting it grow out natural and don't think I'll be dyeing it again, unless I henna+indigo when I get a lot of grey. But right now they're growing in one streak which I think will look pretty cool when it's longer.

Alienor
October 26th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Second, in 2 or 3 of the hairs I pulled out tonight, there were alternating parts of the strand that were grey, and then my natural color, and back to grey, and so on (these strands were about 6 inches). I thought that once a hair follicle goes grey it's grey forever? Is it seriously possible to reverse greying? One of the hairs I pulled out was about 4 inches long, but the inch nearest my scalp was my natural color, and getting even darker near the root. The others had bands of my natural color in between with grey near the roots. How does this even happen? ETA: I go through periods where I'm really good about taking my vitamins, then I forget to for a month. Although recent health issues have forced me to be extremely consistent the past month in taking them. Could this be a contributing factor to reversing the grey? END ETA.

My first grey was when I was about 23-24 years old, now I'm 39 and have quite a lot.
I used to do henna since I was a teenager but recently I wanted to try letting my hair naturally grey, so I've stopped henna since about 6 months.

Few weeks ago, I noticed something I didn't know it was possible : I saw one white hair
with about 1 inch dark brown color from the scalp, since that time for me there is no doubt, white hair can reverse to colored hair but why ? I don't know. I suppose it happened because I've taken a lot of chlorella at that time (I've heard about algae effects on hair color).

dulce
October 26th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Don't think of it as old gray,think of it as silver blonde with no touch ups needed.Try adding highlights during the awkward transition stage and once it's fully in,you can stop.I hated my gray streaks/roots in my 30's and dyed,once I let it come fully in I realize I love the colour and wish I hadn't wasted all my time and money over the years fighting it ,let alone the health risks long term[increased risk of bladder cancer etc.]The short roots always look ugly but surprisingly once it gets longer it really looks nice.

ReluctantlyCurl
October 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I have some relatives that went gray in high school; I first noticed my grays at about 26. Personally, my grays are my prettiest hairs - I have some bright whites, some "zebra" grays, and all of they are much shinier-looking than the rest of my hair :) So obviously, doesn't bother me.

The only thing that I do not look forward to is, when my hair becomes more obviously gray, the amount of people who will ask me WHY I don't dye my hair. My mom has really beautiful hair - when she first got grays noticeably, they almost all came in on one side - she called herself Cruella DeVille. Now though, she is almost completely gray, but with a beautiful spattering of her original brown - you have to look close to tell there is brown in there. In short, I am jealous of her hair (while still being happy with what I have).

But people CONSTANTLY ask her WHEN is she going to dye her hair, why hasn't she started dying, etc. Friends and strangers alike.

And part of me gets the impulse. But what better answer does anyone expect than "i don't dye because I don't feel like it"?

So yeah, I love my grays. But all you dyers/pluckers, you go (as long as you don't try to force me to switch teams)

Medusa
October 26th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I started going grey in my late teens. I started coloring my hair in my mid twenties to cover them. I stopped coloring my hair six months ago because I got tired of the expense, upkeep, and damage (used permanent dye).

My mom was almost completely white in her early 50's, and my dad's dad was completely white by 40. It runs in my family, and I'm just going to embrace it.

Lissandria
October 26th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Silver hair looks awesome IMO on the young and old. It definitely does not have to be seen as ageing, I dont see it as such. The odd sparkle on dark or red hair is very striking too.
I have one grandparent on each side of my family that NEVER went grey. My folks are in their late fifties and only have about 1/4 grey hair. Safe to say I probably wont be going grey anytime soon, not sure I would mind terribly if I did.

Cassie 123
October 26th, 2011, 06:01 PM
You might be interested in this NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/health/10well.html) that explains one of the current hypotheses about why hair turns white.

Not counting a few stray white hairs here and there in my early twenties, it took about ten years to develop the streak that shows in my profile picture.

Inching Along
October 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM
This is all so very interesting! I have a photo of my gray streak from a few years ago. I think I had had a demi-permanent color and told the stylist to leave my streak out, but this picture makes it seem smaller than I notice on a daily basis. :)

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/houseofhoff/me122507.jpg

newbeginning
October 26th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I started graying in my teens. I didn't dye for years. Then I had a bad dye experience (dye didn't wash out) and so I started dying my hair. Now I'm sick of the upkeep and chemicals so I'm stopping the dye. Trust me it's hard to accept the gray sometimes and it'll be frustrating to grow out but I feel I need accept me as au natural.

I've read the other posts and I'd like to add I believe my grays are mostly genetic. I have family members that have gone gray young as well. I take supplements so I don't think lack of nutrients is a problem.

amantha
October 26th, 2011, 07:01 PM
You might be interested in this NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/health/10well.html) that explains one of the current hypotheses about why hair turns white.

Not counting a few stray white hairs here and there in my early twenties, it took about ten years to develop the streak that shows in my profile picture.

That article is really interesting! I did know that grey hairs are essentially caused by being bleached from within, but it's good to know that stress doesn't cause greys.

I think for me, my greys are definitely genetic...as my mother, her mother, and my brother have all greyed early in life. But I also think there's also a nutrient deficiency component...since I was apparently severely iron deficient for lord knows how long before I was diagnosed...and that can definitely lead to premature greying. I'm hoping one I get my iron back up and start eating better/remembering to take all my vitamins, that I can make those "zebra" hairs decide to just be brown again for a while.

I think grey hair looks beautiful on a lot of people. I just think it looks weird on me. My hair is dark brown with a lot of red undertones and my eyes are brown. And my skin has warm undertones as well. So I just find it really contrasting to have warm toned skin and hair with really cool toned grey/white hairs. If I was older, and had significantly more grey, I would definitely embrace it. But right now they're just random hairs, in general areas of my head. No patches yet. I think once I start getting patches of grey I might embrace them so I can have sparkly streaks. I'm just glad that 1) at least my whites/greys are the same hair texture as my regular hair and 2) at least I inherited my mother's awesome youthful skin so I'll probably still look young anyway even when I am grey. :)

Thanks for all your input guys! It's really comforting to know I'm not the only one who started greying at a young age....and also that I'm not the only one who has "zebra" hairs. :blossom:

LadieRyrie
October 26th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I'm sixteen and I definitely have more than ten gray hairs. My brother found my first one when I was about twelve, and routinely counts them every month. I used to pull them out, until I realized I couldn't keep that up forever. XD One day, I secretly admired the looks of a silver against my dark hair and realized that I really don't care whether people notice I'm already going gray. I might henna my hair someday and cover them up, but for now, I let them exist. Although I do hate the coarse, crinkly silvers; I prefer the straight shiny ones.

And yes, I've noticed those bands of natural and gray on a single hair. I guess those gray genes switch on and off.

kaitmil
October 26th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Starting going gray at the temples during my twenties I am guessing. I had been bleaching my hair blond since high school when it starting turning dark. Have been natural color for about 7 years now. The gray is more white than gray. Hoping to have snow white hair like my maternal grandmother and paternal Great grand mother.

Yozhik
October 26th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I have one white hair on my head (I'm 24). :gabigrin:

I love it, but am unsure what I would feel if I had more. Currently, you can only see it if I part my hair in a side part.

amyhenna
October 26th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I'm 41 and I still feel too young to have grey hair. I started in my twenties also. The good thing about that is that you don't have to worry about having that totally stereotypical middle-aged moment of finding your "first gray" because you're already way past that :-)

I henna. I think you're doing the right thing putting off dying. I don't believe your hair dresser, though she may believe what she's telling you. There is no way to dye your hair without affecting it. Semi-permanent or not, she will be affecting your hair and permanently altering it, from a chemical standpoint and quite possibly a color standpoint.

You are in a tough position. I understand not wanting twenty grey hairs. I understand not wanting to keep plucking them out. I understand not wanting to dye your natural color.

If you can tolerate red hair, at least henna is a way to color without chemicals. But it absolutely will affect the rest of your hair, and permanently. Shinier, healthier, but REDDER! It took me a long time to get used to this red, and I'm still not sure I'm totally used to it next to my skin, but it's a lot better than the alternative :-) I think I've got more than 20 grey hairs going on- but I don't want to let them grow in just to count them.

Good luck to you. There is no easy answer that I know of.

Rini
October 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hi amantha :waving: I see you are fairly new, so I'd recommend searching for similar threads on "premature greying". There are hundreds of them (well, maybe I'm exaggerating because it just seems like there is!)

I started going grey at 16. I am (and have always been) very healthy with no major illnesses. There is nothing wrong with me as there is probably nothing wrong with you. I think the percentage of people who go grey at an early age is higher than you think because so many people dye their hair and they are probably not aware of it. Like you, I freaked a bit at first (but then I was 16!) and dyed my hair for many years. Nowadays I am dye-free and letting them grow in and I am by no means "old". Young face, young body, young attitude....and all with grey hair! It's OK. It's me :D

My advice: dye it, don't dye it....but don't freak out! It's natural, it's part of life. I personally don't think it means you are "old before your time" or sick/deficient in something.

In the meantime, there are direct dyes you could use (article in my sig) that won't damage your hair and will fade out instead of growing out. I hope that will make you feel better about your hair :flowers:

PixxieStix
October 26th, 2011, 10:24 PM
My hair has almost always been an odd mix of blonde, read, brown and, you guessed it gray! I remember my mom giving me a hair cut when I was maybe 12 and commenting on how she thought it was so funny that I had this one bright white hair that grows out about an inch and a half up from the hair line on the back of my head, slightly to the right. My hair was classified as "red" when I was younger, but is definitely a medium auburn/dark auburn now, and I miss my more red toned hair so I henna, but if I didn't, I guarantee I'd still see 50+ gray hairs on my head that I've had since I was a kid. They blend in well, so they never bothered me, and once I start going gray, I want to let the henna grow out and (hopefully) have gorgeous, natural gray/silver hair. Both my grandmothers didn't start getting gray until their 60's (they were never into dying their hair), not sure about my mom since she'd dyed my whole life and I don't even know what her natural color is really, but yeah, I don't think you're prematurely graying. Lol, at least not from my perspective. :)

amantha
October 26th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Hi amantha :waving: I see you are fairly new, so I'd recommend searching for similar threads on "premature greying". There are hundreds of them (well, maybe I'm exaggerating because it just seems like there is!)

I started going grey at 16. I am (and have always been) very healthy with no major illnesses. There is nothing wrong with me as there is probably nothing wrong with you. I think the percentage of people who go grey at an early age is higher than you think because so many people dye their hair and they are probably not aware of it. Like you, I freaked a bit at first (but then I was 16!) and dyed my hair for many years. Nowadays I am dye-free and letting them grow in and I am by no means "old". Young face, young body, young attitude....and all with grey hair! It's OK. It's me :D

My advice: dye it, don't dye it....but don't freak out! It's natural, it's part of life. I personally don't think it means you are "old before your time" or sick/deficient in something.

In the meantime, there are direct dyes you could use (article in my sig) that won't damage your hair and will fade out instead of growing out. I hope that will make you feel better about your hair :flowers:

Hi Rini! :waving: I did try and search for a thread about greying...or premature greying before I posted this...and was unsuccessful in my quest. But yeah I don't think I'm old before my time or anything....although I have been tested and was diagnosed with pretty bad iron deficiency....which I've read can lead to premature greying. But I mean it was going to happen anyway given my genetics.

That article is really helpful! I'm pretty sure the salon that my hair dresser works at uses all framesi products, which I see is listed as an okay dye in that article. Hopefully I can stave off dying my hair for a few years. When I brought it up to my hair dresser a few months ago...she said she would use a dye that was semi-permanent and only deposits color....and that would somehow not change my natural hair color. The way she described what it did sounds like what that article is describing. She even said it wouldn't give me a demarcation line as my hair grew in. She didn't go into a ton of detail about the chemistry of it or anything, but she's really good and has been doing me and my mom's hair for over 20 years, so I know if I told her that I don't want dye that can damage my hair or has ammonia in it, she would know what to do. I've thought about henna, but I think I look really sickly with super red hair. I like the mild auburn tones in my natural hair but that's about it. I've had it all sorts of different shades of red when I used to dye my hair in high school, and none of them looked that great on me except a deep auburn.

Also your hair in your sig pic would be my dream grey hair. :cloud9:

trolleypup
October 27th, 2011, 01:24 AM
First one at 17. A few per year appeared until they really started popping up in my 30s. I'm fine with them...especially since I am not losing hair like my dad did (by my age he had a fine professorial fringe (good, because he is a scientist)). More in my beard than my hair, FWIW.

And I have hairs that waver between silver and black and tones in between.

If the greys bother you, color as needed, but greys worn with confidence are a nice look!

JuliaDancer
October 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM
The only thing that I do not look forward to is, when my hair becomes more obviously gray, the amount of people who will ask me WHY I don't dye my hair. My mom has really beautiful hair - when she first got grays noticeably, they almost all came in on one side - she called herself Cruella DeVille. Now though, she is almost completely gray, but with a beautiful spattering of her original brown - you have to look close to tell there is brown in there. In short, I am jealous of her hair (while still being happy with what I have).

But people CONSTANTLY ask her WHEN is she going to dye her hair, why hasn't she started dying, etc. Friends and strangers alike.

Cruella DeVille!!! Haha, that's so awesome. And speaking of going white, I think Meryl Streep looks fabulous in the Devil Wears Prada with her white hair. But I also dread the day when I will be nagged to dye my hair... I won't do it! I've already told my boyfriend, so he has to get used to the idea. He said "but wouldn't it be weird to have grey hair in your 30s?" I said "it's not weird because a lot of women go grey in their 30s. They just dye it! If all of them stopped, no one would think it was weird." I explained to him the health hazards, which he was completely unaware of, and he agreed that I shouldn't risk it. I think he's still a little iffy about how it will look when I get more grey though...