PDA

View Full Version : How to weigh down/deflate/unpoof hair?

Orangerthanred
October 25th, 2011, 06:00 PM
For years I've looked for a way to make my hair flat/unpoofy/less thick. Imagine a normal head of hair times three. That's what I have.

Yes.... I want my hair less thick. But I know that's impossible- you can't get thinner hair. So maybe I can weigh it down? I refuse to coat it in oils though, because oily hair looks terrible.

Another problem is that my hair is SOOO stubborn. I used to use tons of cones on my hair and it never got buildup or got flat. It's like, resistant to being tame or something.

How can I deflate or weigh down my hair? Is any one else experiencing this problem?

darklyndsea
October 25th, 2011, 06:05 PM
The only solution I have is length. Keeping it up most of the time does a lot to help when it's up and a little bit to help when it's down, but nowhere near enough. And nothing else I've tried has helped.

Orangerthanred
October 25th, 2011, 06:09 PM
The only solution I have is length. Keeping it up most of the time does a lot to help when it's up and a little bit to help when it's down, but nowhere near enough. And nothing else I've tried has helped.

I have many years to wait, then. I have to grow out a straightener and a bad hair cut that is shorter in the front. Plus my hair grows like 1/56 an inch a month.

ElusiveMuse
October 25th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Oiling your hair doesn't give you oily hair, generally. It's a matter of finding the right oil and the right amount and frequency of oiling. My hair looks gorgeous when it's oiled. Also this is how I deal with pouf.

ktani
October 25th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Most conditioners gave me the opposite problem and made my thin hair look thinner.

Smoothing conditioners are usually heavier. The Pantene Restore Beautiful Lengths line is getting raves here. There may be a solution in that line for you.

Many conditioners are formulated not to be heavy and silicones in them tend not to be the heavy in hair problems (pun intended). It is the other ingredients. The heaviest silicones are usually in serums, designed to deal with frizz.

celebriangel
October 26th, 2011, 12:03 AM
My hair looks like a *total* lion's mane at anything above APL, whereupon it starts to lay flatter until it actually looks like hair around BSL, and good hair around waist!

Or it used to. I have found that going really all out on the moisture side of things - I CO with a very moisturising conditioner, then use nightblooming's panacea salve as a leave-in, it's sort of fluffy and creamy - has really, really managed to tame my hair. Damp bunning also encourages it not to poof out too much.

Audhumla
October 26th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I agree with damp bunning.
Also I see you have 2b/2c hair, a lot of people seem to have difficulties with their waves/curls if they mess around with/brush their hair too much when it's dry rather than detangling when wet and then leaving it alone either up or down to air dry. Could this be contributing to the problem for you ?

Minxymoo
October 26th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I too have had BIG hair for years. I would fry my hair to every inch of it's life with a flat iron to calm it down and yes it worked but I couldn't grow my hair past APL. I managed to give up the heat but of course my hair would be so wild that I had to put it up all the time. :(

What I have found that works for me is doing a SMT as a regular wash. As I found that I couldn't find a balance with oils or serums after washing. It was a case of not enough or caked on making my hair lank, dull and greasy.

I have found a wash routine that has been the holy grail for me, maybe you could try.

What I do is wash my scalp with a SLS free shampoo first (I use Body shop Rainforest Shine). Then carry on with with my shower duties and hop out. Pop my hair in a regular towel and go and make myself a bowl of deep conditioner (Cone Free, I use Superdrug Coconut and sweet Almond intensive Conditioner) stirred in with 3 table spoons of EVOO. Pop that on the length of my hair (a little bit on the scalp too, that helps with frizz). Then marinade for at least half hour, I usually sit with it on for an hour. Then rinse it out with warm water. I then add Tresseme Naturals conditioner on my hair whilst wet and massage my scalp to rid of any excess oil and rinse it all off. Finally I use a cotton t-shirt to draw out the moisture.

This routine has really helped with the poof, my hair lays nicely down, feels moisturised and looks shiny.

There's one more thing ,I find that my hair loves to draw moisture from the air making my hair HUGE! It's a nightmare to leave the house if it's foggy or raining out there. Needless to say my hair is humectant phobic. So I use Aveda Anti humectant pomade on damp days and it really does work. Coupled that with my wash routine, I now don't have a day when my hair is fluffy, frizzy or big :cheese:

Orangerthanred
October 26th, 2011, 06:18 AM
I agree with damp bunning.
Also I see you have 2b/2c hair, a lot of people seem to have difficulties with their waves/curls if they mess around with/brush their hair too much when it's dry rather than detangling when wet and then leaving it alone either up or down to air dry. Could this be contributing to the problem for you ?

Not exactly right now. My hair is relaxed to about 1c.

torrilin
October 26th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Can we get a little more concrete? Do you have pictures to show us what your hair is doing that you dislike, and what kind of style you find appealing?

Coz my hair is a 1c, and um... volume is not exactly the first descriptor that comes to mind. Or the third. Or the fifteenth. Flat and limp maybe. But my hair is pretty fine, and you're typing yourself as medium, so that may have something to do with it. And I'm a ii, not a iii. That's also a big difference. So if you're looking for what I have most of the time, the answer may be that it just isn't possible for your hair. Just like my desire for beautiful springy ringlets is never going to happen... doesn't matter how pretty I think they are, my hair is just not going to do that.

Mostly, what I do is work with my hair. It is good at being long and straight and showing off intricate buns or braids. So I do what works on me, and make sure to tell women with curly hair how pretty I think they are.

But conversely, it may also be that there are things that *will* work for what you want. Just it's hard when we're working blind...

Orangerthanred
October 26th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Can we get a little more concrete? Do you have pictures to show us what your hair is doing that you dislike, and what kind of style you find appealing?

Coz my hair is a 1c, and um... volume is not exactly the first descriptor that comes to mind. Or the third. Or the fifteenth. Flat and limp maybe. But my hair is pretty fine, and you're typing yourself as medium, so that may have something to do with it. And I'm a ii, not a iii. That's also a big difference. So if you're looking for what I have most of the time, the answer may be that it just isn't possible for your hair. Just like my desire for beautiful springy ringlets is never going to happen... doesn't matter how pretty I think they are, my hair is just not going to do that.

Mostly, what I do is work with my hair. It is good at being long and straight and showing off intricate buns or braids. So I do what works on me, and make sure to tell women with curly hair how pretty I think they are.

But conversely, it may also be that there are things that *will* work for what you want. Just it's hard when we're working blind...

If I could find my camera I would post pictures.

torrilin
October 26th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Pictures of you would help, but I'd also love to see pictures of the looks you admire. Partly out of self interest, since I have the sort of hair where trying to voluminize it makes for a great party game. Get out a stopwatch to see how fast it can deflate! But also because a lot of hairstyles that we see in magazines or on TV with "straight" hair are often not done on actual straight hair. So in that case, the look you want may actually be doable for you, even if it's totally unrealistic for me :).

But without pictures, we can't talk about what goes on behind the look.

bluesnowflake
October 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I see that you're wavy. Many wavies/curlies find that using a comb instead of a brush reduces fluff and frizz, so maybe you could try that? Braiding it/putting it up until it grows out enough to weigh itself down is also an option.

Orangerthanred
October 26th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I see that you're wavy. Many wavies/curlies find that using a comb instead of a brush reduces fluff and frizz, so maybe you could try that? Braiding it/putting it up until it grows out enough to weigh itself down is also an option.

Brushing and combing makes no difference on my hair right now, because 80 percent of my hair is still relaxed. It is currently 1c/2a. My hair will be huge whether or not I touch it.

katsrevenge
October 26th, 2011, 04:29 PM
'Relaxed' might be your problem. A lot of relaxers tend to create damaged poofy hair. So even though it's been straightened it's still damaged. Damaged hair is not going to behave most of the time. As for brushes or combs on straight hair... I know it makes a difference on my sister's 1a/1b hair. Combing leaves it flatter then a brush.

I combat frizz/poof with a light lemon rinse after washing, putting coconut oil on the ends of my hair after towel drying (because I still use the evil towel), damp bun or braid and then combing it after it dries. The oil really helps and it never looks 'oily'!

I have also found that using a boar bristle brush on detangled and sectioned dry hair (because it ain't going through it otherwise) really calms the frizz.

Orangerthanred
October 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM
'Relaxed' might be your problem. A lot of relaxers tend to create damaged poofy hair. So even though it's been straightened it's still damaged. Damaged hair is not going to behave most of the time. As for brushes or combs on straight hair... I know it makes a difference on my sister's 1a/1b hair. Combing leaves it flatter then a brush.

I combat frizz/poof with a light lemon rinse after washing, putting coconut oil on the ends of my hair after towel drying (because I still use the evil towel), damp bun or braid and then combing it after it dries. The oil really helps and it never looks 'oily'!

I have also found that using a boar bristle brush on detangled and sectioned dry hair (because it ain't going through it otherwise) really calms the frizz.

My hair was the same or even worse before the relaxer, however. It was curlier, but still just as thick :( The reason why I did a relaxer was to get smoother, flatter, hair.

I do not have coconut oil and I don't plan on buying any [it's not even available in my area unless I want to pay 20 dollars], but I sometimes use canola oil on my hair. Boar bristle brushes are evil on my hair, it's like instant volume all over my head.

katsrevenge
October 26th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Well, it ain't getting any thinner. That cannot be done unless you yank it out or have a medical issue.

I don't think canola is a good hair oil? I get extra virgin olive oil for two bucks at wallmart sometimes. I really do like it too... it just takes a lighter touch with it and I tend to use it an hour or so before washing when I use it.
The coconut oil I use is Vatika, 5 bucks online. But, I know some people here get coconut oil from the oil section at Wallmart too.

Relaxers don't smooth out hair, it's like a reverse perm. And unless you put a whole lot more effort into it (the girls I knew with relaxer-do's who had decent looking 'flat' hair spent a lot of money on treatments, hair pieces and weave (their natural hair tended to be short from all the damage) and irons/stuff to iron with) it just never looks good. And, worse, you can put all the effort you can into it and still have unhappy, frizzed hair.

You can try a million layers too, I had them for a while because I too have thick hair and wanted 'flatter hair' but in the end it is a lot of hassle to keep them up unless you are getting good regular trims from someone who knows their stuff. They are also very easy to mess up.

BBBs are not for everyone. I use mine only when my hair is not too clean to spread the oils from my scalp or if I do a dry oiling to help spread the oils then. And then I braid it up. Or bun it up. BBBs really aren't a brush you use to style with as much as they seem to be a brush you use to condition your hair with.

I will say that when my hair is shoulder length it tends to turn into a triangle too. Now that most of it has reached my midback or waist it lays much nicer when it is down. Only the shorter side bits poof up much... so this may just be something that you will just have to ponytail and minibun/ half up your way through till it's longer.

allmixedup88
October 26th, 2011, 05:32 PM
grapeseed oil has really helped my poofy hair

Athena's Owl
October 26th, 2011, 05:32 PM
The creamy crack isn't doing you any favors, hon. Trying to make your hair be something it's not takes a lot of time and commitment. while you're looking around for your camera can you go step by step over your routine on a wash day and what you do on in between days? how you wear it to bed? how you wear it when you're exercising?

Orangerthanred
October 26th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Well, it ain't getting any thinner. That cannot be done unless you yank it out or have a medical issue.

I don't think canola is a good hair oil? I get extra virgin olive oil for two bucks at wallmart sometimes. I really do like it too... it just takes a lighter touch with it and I tend to use it an hour or so before washing when I use it.
The coconut oil I use is Vatika, 5 bucks online. But, I know some people here get coconut oil from the oil section at Wallmart too.

Relaxers don't smooth out hair, it's like a reverse perm. And unless you put a whole lot more effort into it (the girls I knew with relaxer-do's who had decent looking 'flat' hair spent a lot of money on treatments, hair pieces and weave (their natural hair tended to be short from all the damage) and irons/stuff to iron with) it just never looks good. And, worse, you can put all the effort you can into it and still have unhappy, frizzed hair.

You can try a million layers too, I had them for a while because I too have thick hair and wanted 'flatter hair' but in the end it is a lot of hassle to keep them up unless you are getting good regular trims from someone who knows their stuff. They are also very easy to mess up.

BBBs are not for everyone. I use mine only when my hair is not too clean to spread the oils from my scalp or if I do a dry oiling to help spread the oils then. And then I braid it up. Or bun it up. BBBs really aren't a brush you use to style with as much as they seem to be a brush you use to condition your hair with.

I will say that when my hair is shoulder length it tends to turn into a triangle too. Now that most of it has reached my midback or waist it lays much nicer when it is down. Only the shorter side bits poof up much... so this may just be something that you will just have to ponytail and minibun/ half up your way through till it's longer.

But I thought a relaxer would make my hair flat. You see all those girls with kinky, coarse hair that just 'magically' turns straight on the boxes. I figured, hey since they can turn their hair into flat hair, I should be able to get my wavy hair flat super easy!

Olive oil... I'll have to go to Target and see if they have it.

I'm growing out a bad layered cut right now. My stylist cut my hair in a v hemline which I hate, with my hair shorter in the front. :mad: I was so mad. And it never grows.

Orangerthanred
October 26th, 2011, 06:02 PM
The creamy crack isn't doing you any favors, hon. Trying to make your hair be something it's not takes a lot of time and commitment. while you're looking around for your camera can you go step by step over your routine on a wash day and what you do on in between days? how you wear it to bed? how you wear it when you're exercising?

Haven't found my camera yet. I suppose I can use my phone as a camera, but the quality is :poop:

As for my routine... It's super basic.

- Cowash with Suave naturals every 1-3 days.
- Air dry.
- Add a bit of canola oil if my hair's really frizzy,
- On Sunday I do a mayo and egg treatment.
- Sleep with my hair down or in a braid.
- S&D daily.
- Ponytails on my lazy days and workout days [I admit my ponytail holders are really tight and rip my hair, but the basic one will break if I use it]

Raiscake
October 26th, 2011, 06:22 PM
You mentioned layers. I think that might be a factor. I know layers turn my 1c hair into a poofball. It's a lot smoother looking now that I've grown them out a bit. Other than that, oiling and daily bunning has helped me tons.

McFearless
October 26th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Your hair is growing, but the relaxer is causing breakage. A lot of people get smoother hair using henna. That might be something to look into if you want flatter hair. I have thick hair too so I understand your problem. Damp bunning helps a lot. I usually keep the hair under my canopy heavily oiled. It flattens the whole thing down.

katsrevenge
October 26th, 2011, 08:38 PM
But I thought a relaxer would make my hair flat. You see all those girls with kinky, coarse hair that just 'magically' turns straight on the boxes. I figured, hey since they can turn their hair into flat hair, I should be able to get my wavy hair flat super easy!

Olive oil... I'll have to go to Target and see if they have it.

I'm growing out a bad layered cut right now. My stylist cut my hair in a v hemline which I hate, with my hair shorter in the front. :mad: I was so mad. And it never grows.

I'm dating an Afro-American. His hair is a 4 something. His sister who has the same hair type uses relaxer. What she does is have a bathroom full of goo, hair iron daily, and visit a salon biweekly to keep it up. Each night she binds her hair flat to her skull. Even so, if it gets wet....poof! Her hair only looks flat because she's chemically and mechanically beaten it into submission.
It's not a simple process or a safe one. His mom burned her scalp and now her hair is see through thin.

Target should. Mine does,anyway.

Hmm.. that could be protien overload. A little maybe. With the weekly Mayo treatment.

And do you clarify? I CO and CWC most of the time with sauve naturals too and I find that biweekly or longer washes with vo5 kiwi clarifier and only condition afterwards really helps.

And a better conditioner might help for your second conditioner. I like Guarnieri triple nutrition. I rub it into the lenght. Myhair loves it. And try a lemon rinse. A few drops from a plastic lemon in a water bottles worth of water after washing/rinsing. It really smooths the hairs down.

I love hairsticks for lazy days. Just roll it up, stick it in and no ripped hair. :o

irisheyes
October 26th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I see we have the same hair type and the same problems. My biggest hair problem is porosity. My hair soaks up water and humidity like a sponge, creating a huge mass of puff. It even happens when I'm just washing the dishes with hot water. I don't use products because they only make things worse. Of course I don't use hairdryers or heat appliances, either. I love cold, dry winter days because my hair gets flat and shiney! I have been researching this, and found an article that said to try shampoo and condish for color treated hair because it is more acidic. Therefore it works like vinegar to smoothe the cuticle. My hair hates protein, too, so that may be something you may want to consider. It may seem counterintuitive, but I'm beginning to think I overcondition, as well.

Athena's Owl
October 26th, 2011, 09:34 PM
no, a relaxer won't make your hair flat. and if you have low porosity on your hair, it might not even be all that effective. when I was fighting my curls I'd do relaxers and all it would really do is take my hair to a 3a with special bonus damage.

and you can buy olive oil at the grocery store. cold pressed olive oil = extra virgin olive oil. another good hair oil is coconut. you'll find that in health food stores. look for cold-pressed coconut oil that actually smells like coconuts. these are heavier oils and it takes parctice to figure out how much is the right amount for your hair.

If you get coconut oil, you can try mixing coconut oil with a clarifying shampoo for a hair wash treatment. some people really like it. I don't generally do it becauuse the method doesn't work on really curly hair - I need to use rinse out conditioner and leave in conditioner in order to get good curl definition.

celebriangel
October 27th, 2011, 04:33 AM
When I try to fight my curls, I get poof. For example, using a coney conditioner makes my hair straighter to about a 2a, but it is very poofy, I think because my hair is upset that it is not being allowed to curl.

However, when it is healthy, and well-moisturised in a curl friendly regime, it goes all happy and smooth and shiny!

Fighting hair texture...doesn't seem to work for most curlies, in the end.