PDA

View Full Version : Practical hairstyles for the dentist?

Airmide
October 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I have a dental appointment tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out how to wear my hair so it's out of the way of both myself and the dentist, and not getting damaged.

Today I had an exam and I wore it in two braided buns held up by chopsticks. That worked pretty well, except I realized when I need to move side to side for him to work, they'll end up in the way. My hair is long enough that I can't just do braids cause they'll end up getting stepped on and tangled in stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas or experiences they could share? Thanks!

Fencai
October 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
what about milkmaid braids or a crown braid? that way its up, but not at the center of your head and leaves a flat spot for you to lean back against the headrest?

Chromis
October 25th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I do a false crown usually, or at laziest I braid it and coil the braid in my lap, turning it into a braided bun for the rest of the day.

With braces and more frequent cleanings I go through this lots!

Keepitgrowing29
October 25th, 2011, 02:32 PM
What about just doing a really high bun?

Madora
October 25th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I know you didn't think braids would work with your hair, but what if you threaded in a length of ribbon down a single loose braid. You could double the braid, or thread it through itself at some point, then bring it in front of you, and then use safety pins to catch the ribbon and pin it on your clothing in front of you to keep it from falling all over.

bluesnowflake
October 25th, 2011, 03:20 PM
You could do a single braid, fold it back up and tie with ribbon and then just coil it up behind your head like a pillow at the dentist. A crown braid could also work well if you can do one, or a bun high enough that it's not uncomfortable to lay down with it in ( although that could end up looking silly)

Carolyn
October 25th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I keep it simple. I do a single English braid started as low on the nape as possible. I bring it forward over my left shoulder when the dentist or technician is working on me. I've done a high bun but that wasn't as comfortable as the low English braid.

FrozenBritannia
October 25th, 2011, 05:16 PM
one of the threads here somewhere has a diagram of how to do a really neat amish braided updo that would probably work really well.

Airmide
October 25th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the ideas! Maybe the dentists and hygienists I've known are just more clutzy than the ones everyone here experiences? lol. If I have my hair down in braids it gets caught on the clippies on the neck bibs, and they splatter stuff all over it.

Lazy crown/Heidi braids might be an option. I just want something where my head won't have to roll oddly up or down if I move it side to side lol. If I can locate enough bobby pins I guess I could try a braided bun. I've never really found myself wishing for a ginormous snood til this moment lol.

coneyisland
October 26th, 2011, 12:22 AM
The Chinese braided bun works very well for me held with hairpins instead of hairsticks. I arrange it in the first place with hairsticks, put in eight pins around it, then remove the hairsticks.
A bun that can easily be adjusted to move over a bit on the top of the head works well for me also.

trolleypup
October 26th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I usually go with a flat nape clip and the hair brought over my shoulder and into my lap. Never had a problem with the bib clippies or stuff getting spattered about. My dentist and her assistant are pretty careful.

Airmide
October 27th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks everyone! I went with the false crown braid. It worked pretty well! I was able to move back and forth without falling off my hair "pillow" like with a big back bun, and still not have to roll up onto side buns. Thankfully they didn't make me take out the pins for the x-rays. It held in place, they only caught my hair once, and it was out of the way so didn't get stuff in it too much. I think the new dentist I'm seeing and his assistant are a bit less klutzy. I only got showered a couple times. The last place I actually brought my own towel cause so much water would run down the back of my neck lol.

berr
October 27th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks for all the ideas! Maybe the dentists and hygienists I've known are just more clutzy than the ones everyone here experiences? lol. If I have my hair down in braids it gets caught on the clippies on the neck bibs, and they splatter stuff all over it.

Lazy crown/Heidi braids might be an option. I just want something where my head won't have to roll oddly up or down if I move it side to side lol. If I can locate enough bobby pins I guess I could try a braided bun. I've never really found myself wishing for a ginormous snood til this moment lol.

Wow, a dentist that still uses a bib? The only time I get a bib is the lead one they use for x-rays. My dentist just uses a suction hose. The assistant sucks all the stuff out of your mouth... spit and all.

I haven't seen a bib or a dentist spittoon sink in AGES.

Copasetic
October 27th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I put it in a bun literally on top of my head. Any other way and I find it gets in the way when I need to tilt my head back, or move around at all.

Chromis
October 27th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Wow, a dentist that still uses a bib? The only time I get a bib is the lead one they use for x-rays. My dentist just uses a suction hose. The assistant sucks all the stuff out of your mouth... spit and all.

I haven't seen a bib or a dentist spittoon sink in AGES.

Mine has a suction hose and still gives a bib and will gentle dab my face with it should they accidentally dribble water onto my face. This happens now and then, especially with braces, more obstacles in there. They also ask if I would like a pair of sunglass sort of things, but I prefer my own glasses.

Lostsoule77
October 27th, 2011, 09:28 PM
My dentist also has the suction hose and bib and does the whole dab with the bib thing. They also have the sink so when you rinse your mouth you can spit.

I just tend to wear my hair in a single braid, but I can see why that wouldn't work for you. I'm glad you found something that did. :)

Co Phi
October 27th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Gee, I don't know... I think the dentist should wear his hair however he likes...

Just kidding, your thread title struck me as funny... for me, a braid works best.

Co Phi
October 27th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Oops, I just read the whole thread. Glad you found a good solution!

julliams
October 28th, 2011, 01:13 AM
An english braid and throw it into your t-shirt (front or back) before you hop into the chair.

julliams
October 28th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Gee, I don't know... I think the dentist should wear his hair however he likes...

Just kidding, your thread title struck me as funny... for me, a braid works best.

beat me to it [snaps fingers]

Becky Safari
October 28th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Side fishtail braid was what I wore to my last appointment.

bunzfan
October 28th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Hypnotica did a updo just for this if i remember correctly hold on..... got it http://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica#p/u/4/zbsNJ3j1VSg