PDA

View Full Version : What causes the look of 'stringy' hair?

TropicalBreeze
October 25th, 2011, 12:05 PM
No matter how many trims I get or how much I take care of my hair, when it grows the ends look stringy. Why is this and what can I do to prevent it? Thanks in advance!

embee
October 25th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I don't know about you, but my hair has *always* been stringy. Even as a child. My mom called it "rat tails" and it didn't matter if it were freshly washed or what. Short or long, always stringy. I think it's just the nature of some hair. Distressing for sure if you want lovely Pantene style hair. (In my day it was "Breck" style hair!)

My answer is *updo*. Then there is no stringy. Otherwise I must live with a brush in hand so every few minutes I can take away the stringy.

However! ...
Maybe you're speaking of fairytale ends - and that's the way hair grows, each hair at its own speed, so no matter if you trim a nice even hemline after a bit the hairs have grown, each at its own pace, so now it's uneven again. If you keep trimming you may never gain much length because you run the risk of trimming off all your new growth.

This can be sad if you want to wear your hair loose and down, but fairytale ends can be a real plus for an updo - they can just tuck in so nicely.

ktani
October 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM
No matter how many trims I get or how much I take care of my hair, when it grows the ends look stringy. Why is this and what can I do to prevent it? Thanks in advance!

Stringy ends for me is caused by too much of any product in my hair, including catnip, which coats the hair somewhat, as well as being absorbed into hair.

When I used oil, or conditioner, I had the same result.

I think you can resolve this by simply using less product or a quick fix would be to clarify your hair and then use less product on your ends.

Too much catnip I can remove with one shampoo. If you have been using oil, one shampoo should remove most of it. If it is too much conditioner clarifying may be the best option.

ETA: Check out your shampoo too. If it contains conditioning ingredients or oil and some polymers, those ingredients can cause the same thing. Your hair is overloaded.