PDA

View Full Version : Chop-free cute/goth style for long,thick hair?

Clem_Dela
October 25th, 2011, 10:13 AM
This Friday, i'm going to the Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnight.

My friends are dressing up, and I have my outfit mostly figured out.

Leggings, combat boots (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/steve-madden-troopa-boot/3132609?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_ite=steve_madden_'troopa'_boot:326805&cm_pla=shoes:women:boots&cm_ven=Linkshare&siteId=Hy3bqNL2jtQ-wxkxMOewbBVNakZRcgS36g), a layered skirt (http://www.reissonline.com/us/shop/womens/casual_skirts/cody/deer/?utm_source=linkshareUS&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Hy3bqNL2jtQ), and i've yet to figure out the top.

But I digress. The question I have to present to you is this: What kind of hairstyle should I wear?

The easy solution would be high pigtails. But I wondered if there was anything better I can do since my outfit isn't very over-the-top, so there's lots of room for a wow factor.

I've also considered a faux hawk like the one Lillith Moon has a tutorial for on her youtube channel, but that one doesn't work in my hair because it is supported by bobby pins, and my hair is just too thick and heavy for that. Trust me, I tried!

Also faux bangs might be cute, not sure how that would work or if it would match the style, but hey, i'm all for learning experiences.

So, in summary: I want to be punk/goth/cute, there's plenty of room for "wow", I DO NOT want to cut, my hair is very thick and heavy and requires more than bobby pins.

So any inspirational pictures, videos, or tutorials would be fantastic! Thank you my dears! :love:

ETA: here is my face. I have a high forehead, not sure if you can tell, and I wear glasses (http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/166958_2531292885957_1362560150_32826773_132027149 3_n.jpg). hope that helps. Oh, and this color is mostly faded. :( http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/312507_2531302646201_1362560150_32826791_174382367 1_n.jpg

Elysium
October 25th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Maybe try lots of clip-in coloured extensions? Or a set of fake dreads? Get really cheap extensions and backcomb the heck out of them, then clip them under your own hair? So you'll have lots of volume without damaging your real hair :D

mice
October 25th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I've got some kind of everyday "goth" style. It's mostly just dark, not too gothic, but I listen to gothic metal so I guess I'm one at heart. heehee.

I do a simple side parting most days, letting the hair frame the face. Sometimes I'll do a parting down the middle and take a bit of the outgrown "bangs" and swipe them to the side to make it a bit more interesting. Maybe that'd be something? ^^ I wouldn't focus on the hair, but more the make-up and the outfit. Long flowing hair is very gothic!

I wouldn't say the outfit you're going for is very Rocky Horror Picture Show, but if it suits your personality you should go for it. No fun feeling uncomfortable all night.

If you're up for trying something new, I'd say you should go for something darker, preferably black. :D Maybe a simple black top, black fluffy skirt and some silver(ish) jewelry.

Makeup should be focus on the eyes! Doesn't have to be a thick layer of black unless you want to, but that's always fun. :)

Panth
October 25th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Two high sock buns or fully rolled sock buns, with some sort of gothic decoration? That would definitely cover 'cute' and could, depending on the accessories and outfit, be considered 'gothic' too. If the accessories were neon you could go towards the cybergoth end of the spectrum.

Clem_Dela
October 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM
hello everyone! SO I went shopping today and there is a change in the outfit plans. It's still not overly goth, but, better than what I had before. I bought a dress. it's a gray/black/red plaid A-line with a belt, cap sleeves, and a square neckline. i'm wearing it with leggings and combat boots. Also got some earrings to match! :D

It's still very laid-back goth, not over the top. And less of a cutesie goth too. Gothic or not, it's appropriate for a friday night out and still room for some wow. I'm also still browsing.

Panth, the high buns with accessories sound cute! i wish I could figure out the sock bun. they always mess up or look funny for me. :(

mice, thank you! I changed my outfit before I got your advice, haha. It's still not super goth, like i said, but still. haha. Also, the earrings are silver. I'll have to post some pictures.

Elysium, thank you! i'm still trying not to spend anymore money than I did today though, lol.

Anyway, i'm still browsing and open to suggestions or ideas!

FrozenBritannia
October 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
there was another thread like this and spidermom posted a pic of multiple braids (in a row like a mohawk) that looked really awesome!

lyria
October 25th, 2011, 09:01 PM
How about a lot of tight little rope braids that double back on themselves a bit and then less tight rope braids hanging down to show off your length? I can't find any pictures of what I mean and I'm not sure I'm describing it well... somewhat a la Medusa? Could have wow factor and would look great with your dress and hair color!