PDA

View Full Version : Now my hair is properly looked after it is thicker

bunzfan
October 25th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I thought recently my hair was thicker because i used to be able to make a pretty good braided bun at BSL but, now i am a bit longer and unless i make two braids or do a French braid first(a skinnier braid for me) its a real blob:rolleyes:

So i decided to measure my ponytail it used to be dead on 3 inches but now its 3.25 inches:eek: so i guess there is something to be said for no heat,no pulling a brush through damp hair etc. It still means i will need to be at least waist though to make a decent plain bun:mad: i thought the longer it got the easier it would be to make a nice bun.

Lapin
October 25th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Well, as someone with a scrawny little ponytail, I find this to be very exciting!

I do imagine your thickness can be a pain for updo's, but (according to your sig picture), your hair looks so nice and full! I'm really not able to make suggestions, but I've noticed some of the people on this board will take small segments of hair and braid them before putting all their hair in a bun. Those little braids make the buns look even more interesting, and I'd think those braids would also take away some of the bulk. :shrug:

Madora
October 25th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I thought recently my hair was thicker because i used to be able to make a pretty good braided bun at BSL but, now i am a bit longer and unless i make two braids or do a French braid first(a skinnier braid for me) its a real blob:rolleyes:

So i decided to measure my ponytail it used to be dead on 3 inches but now its 3.25 inches:eek: so i guess there is something to be said for no heat,no pulling a brush through damp hair etc. It still means i will need to be at least waist though to make a decent plain bun:mad: i thought the longer it got the easier it would be to make a nice bun.

With your length, Bunzfan, you can still create a nice looking bun. You just need to section it..i.e.

1) Ponytail your hair, then take a tiny sliver of hair and wrap it around the ponytail base to hide it
2) Divide the ponytail into 2 sections.
3) Take one of the sections and gently twist it (not too tightly) all the way down
4) Take the twisted coil and bring it up to the RIGHT and around the ponytail base, pinning with hairpins.
5) Take the other section and repeat step 4 but bring it up to the LEFT and around the ponytail base.
Voila, a cinnamon bun

Variations on this: do 2 braids in a coil
try twists (twisting two sections of hair around each other)
2 rope braids

You might even be able to try a 3 braid vortex bun. Happy bunning!

Alaia
October 25th, 2011, 09:37 AM
You can do a braided bun? I'm impressed. I can't :lol: My braid isn't long enough to form a complete round :lol:

Sectioning is good as per Madora! :D

Panth
October 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I found the same thing. I got 3/8" extra circumference simply from no metal-containing elastics (and pretty much no elastics anyway), no 'angry' combing and everyday updos.

luluj
October 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM
With your length, Bunzfan, you can still create a nice looking bun. You just need to section it..i.e.

1) Ponytail your hair, then take a tiny sliver of hair and wrap it around the ponytail base to hide it
3) Take one of the sections and gently twist it (not too tightly) all the way down
4) Take the twisted coil and bring it up to the RIGHT and around the ponytail base, pinning with hairpins.
5) Take the other section and repeat step 4 but bring it up to the LEFT and around the ponytail base.
Voila, a cinnamon bun

2 rope braids

Hey, I can do this!! Thanks Madora.:p

CONGRATS on your extra .25 inches bunzfan!:cheese: Your braids and buns always look awesome.;)

archel
October 25th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Madora, do you know if there are any video tutorials on this type of bun? I'm not picturing it...

celebriangel
October 25th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Same! Mine is a bit more dramatic because I'm also growing out dye. Not all the undyed ends are yet in my ponytail, but I was sitting at 3.5" and last time I measured (a high ponytail to get as much of the new growth as possible) I got 4.25"!

Totally crazy. I remember I used to have super-thick hair, and I kept wondering where it all went. Looks like dye is the death knell for my hair - I'm never going back!

It's awesome, though, that even just gentle treatment of hair can cause an increase in thickness too :)

AnqeIicDemise
October 26th, 2011, 12:28 AM

Voila, a cinnamon bun

2 rope braids

Aha! Thank you! I have the same thickness as the OP and always wound up with this weird little nob in the center *unless* I stuck a pin in the first twist. The first pin made a neater bun, but I wound up with so many pins in, my head hurt after a bit.

Winding left, then right with two different sections gave me a neat, less bunched up bun with only TWO regular bobby pins, instead of 1 regular pin and four jumbos.