PDA

View Full Version : Best moisture for oily hair?

Chayliana
October 24th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I haven't had luck with the search function, so if this topic has already been covered just point me in the right direction.

My baby fine hair is also oily, so for most of my life I've shampooed daily to control it. Since deciding to grow my hair longer & finding LHC, I've managed to stretch my washings to every other day, using a dry shampoo on non-wash days when I need to be presentable & go out in public. On days when I have no plans to go anywhere, I'll sometime skip it all together. But whenever I skip washing or use the dry shampoo I have to brush my hair frequently throughout the day to keep it from clumping up & looking stringy.

Now that winter is approaching, my hair is getting staticky & very flyaway. What is the best way to add moisture without making my hair look oily? I made the mistake this morning of using a little bit of coconut oil, but after air drying my hair looked so stringy & greasy it looked like I hadn't washed it in a month.:( I know if I had blown dry & used my boar bristle brush to distribute the oil more thoroughly it wouldn't have looked so bad, but it would've been staticky. I've been air drying almost exclusively for almost 2 months now.

I know oils don't actually add moisture to the hair, so what are my best options for controlling static AND oily hair?

(FYI - I've been using DooGro Mega Thick Growth Shampoo & Conditioner and Leave-In Growth Treatment for nearly 2 months)

ddiana1979
October 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM
You might have luck with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (it has olive, avocado, and shea oils). That's what I've been using, even though I have an oily scalp, and amazingly, my hair is really, really shiny with no static, but not oily. It's actually for dry & damaged hair, but surprisingly, I've had EXCELLENT luck with it. I've been using it for about a month now.

Vanilla
October 24th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I haven't found an oil I particularly like on my fine, oily hair. I tried coconut and olive oil and I experienced the same gross, stringy mess that you did.

I can control the static by washing my hair at night instead of the morning and sleeping with my hair in a satin scarf after drying. I'm not sure if your hair is so oily that you can't do this.