PDA

View Full Version : Water Only & Sebum Only picture collection !

Maktub
October 24th, 2011, 01:45 PM
The official WO and SO threads are so so so big to search through for pictures ! :o

I'd love if those who WO or SO (and those who tried in the past and have pictures) could show us pictures of their monthly or weekly progress !? The worst days and the best for comparison !

If possible, it would be great if you could tell us :

1. Do you SO or WO ?
2. How long had you been trying Sebum Only or Water Only in the picture ?

Firefly River
July 28th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I agree... Bump!

mzBANGBANG
July 28th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Day 14: End of the day, before WO washing.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/caslpierce/mar26_14dayWO.jpg

Day 14: Immediately after wash, my hair was always unruly with WO and being wet.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/caslpierce/mar26_aftershower.jpg

Day 14: After WO washing, dried with cool setting on blow fryer (loved it! but it got oily SO fast)

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/caslpierce/mar26_afterdry1.jpg

Day 14: roots

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad238/caslpierce/mar26_afterdry2.jpg

You asked for em, you got em!

misspurdy06
July 28th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Water only for 6 or 7 months by this pic. 3 or 4 days after a WO wash. I find I can really stretch my washes with WO. I use conditioner on my ends now (shoulder down) because they have been getting dry but I clean my hair/scalp WO.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x223/misspurd06/Picture225.jpg

sugarpixie10988
July 28th, 2012, 11:01 PM
This is the only picture I can find of when I was doing WO. I was four weeks in here and I did WO for about five months. I stopped doing it because when it got warmer out, it seemed to get more difficult. It also darkened my hair quite a bit. I still do WO washes, but I do CO once a week or once every two weeks.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5391&pictureid=127639

DarkCurls
July 29th, 2012, 02:30 AM
I only did WO for about a month or six weeks (my profile pic is from that time), but I liked it (two-minute shower? Oh yes). I quit for CO because my hair is dry, but these pictures are making me want to go back... You have lovely hair.

millyaulait
July 29th, 2012, 03:39 AM
I love this thread, I always wondered what WO hair looked like. :bounce:

MaryMarx
July 29th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Great idea, I will contribute to this thread in a couple of days. :)

afu
July 30th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I've just started WO, i'll add some pictures soon

AutumnLocks
July 30th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Ok, I know what water only is. But, what is sebum only? I seriously doubt if I could ever get away with water only cleansing.

earthnut
July 30th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Ok, I know what water only is. But, what is sebum only? I seriously doubt if I could ever get away with water only cleansing.

Sebum only is not using water. Just manually distributing sebum onto the hair. Scritching and preening a lot to clean the scalp and distribute the sebum. It used to be a common method of hair care more than 100 years ago.

Veaslea93
July 31st, 2012, 12:22 AM
I'm intriguied to try this..
So do you just literally jump in the shower wet your hair and massage and your done? How does it clean your hair?

Sorry for all the questions :)

lmfbs
July 31st, 2012, 12:55 AM
So do you just literally jump in the shower wet your hair and massage and your done? How does it clean your hair?

Check out the WO and SO threads - they're full of info and people there can answer any question you might have. I've learnt so much from the WO thread!

bunzfan
July 31st, 2012, 02:03 AM
I did WO for a while and the shine i got was amazing and my hair just felt lovely and soft but like it should feel naturally not from a conditioner i had another go last night and it made my waves fantastic. Normally i only last a few weeks to a month as the greasy look just bothers me after a while.

Great pictures .

afu
July 31st, 2012, 05:22 AM
does anyone do WO who has a full/blunt fringe? Just wondering if its possible because the greasies really do look awful with a fringe

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 12:27 PM
Wow, how inspiring!! Perhaps I shall give WO a try tonight, although I did just oil my scalp with castor oil...yikes. Maybe I could go all over with tea tree then massage it out? Not sure...maybe I will have to start my experiment after one more real wash ;/

PolarCathy
July 31st, 2012, 12:29 PM
I may or may not upload some pics a bit later. I've gotten back to my roots, that is, water-only again. But this time I won't go hardcore (cold water only).
Yeah well, some pics may come. In a few weeks. Or if I find some old pictures that show the texture.

earthnut
July 31st, 2012, 12:47 PM

I preen first, when my hair and hands are dry. (see link in siggy) Then I turn on the water and rinse. However, since I found most of the benefit came from the preening, my routine became more SO, rather than WO, pretty quickly. I found that the rinse ended up making a helmet-head feeling quicker than if I didn't use water. OTOH, some days my hair just felt dirty and needed a rinse. And SO can straighten curls, whereas water will reset the curls. So preening, followed by a quick rinse and plopping, can keep my hair curly. :bluesmile

The cleaning action in SO, WO, and CO (in part) all come from massaging the scalp and physically mobilizing the natural oils.

MaryMarx
July 31st, 2012, 01:02 PM
I have some pictures!
I'm 14 days into WO and these were taken today after it had been washed and dried.

(I just found this post and it seems I deleted the pictures, sorry about that! If someone is interested in seeing them just contact me.)

afu
July 31st, 2012, 01:08 PM
thanks for the pictures, progress is looking great :)

p.s. you could try monistat/daktarin for the thinner patch

MaryMarx
August 1st, 2012, 05:25 AM
thanks for the pictures, progress is looking great :)

p.s. you could try monistat/daktarin for the thinner patch

Thanks! It feels really good. :)

Monistat is a great idea. I've always wanted to try it but I knew I wouldn't have the patience. But with just those small spots I might make it!

Will Monistat be hard to get out with water?
(Also... where can I get it, living in Sweden, any good tips on websites?)

afu
August 1st, 2012, 05:44 AM

Monistat is a great idea. I've always wanted to try it but I knew I wouldn't have the patience. But with just those small spots I might make it!

As far as i remember people have used it on a WO regime without trouble :) I can never be bothered doing my whole head, but I occasionally do just the thinner patch at my nape (i'll have to start again properly)

I'm not sure where you could get it, I use the UK equivalent which is called Daktarin aktiv cream and is aimed at athletes foot - if you look in the pharmacy section either for foot fungal conditions or womanly fungal conditions look for a cream with the active ingredient miconazole nitrate and you might be able to find something

ebikko
August 1st, 2012, 09:07 PM

Apoteket. It's called Daktar 2% (mikonazolnitrat) here. The tube is white/green.

MaryMarx
August 2nd, 2012, 01:24 AM
Apoteket. It's called Daktar 2% (mikonazolnitrat) here. The tube is white/green.

Oh, that's great, thanks. I kinda thought the Swedish ones were different from the foreign ones, not having the right ingredients or something. Great. :)

Tisiloves
August 2nd, 2012, 01:51 AM
does anyone do WO who has a full/blunt fringe? Just wondering if its possible because the greasies really do look awful with a fringe

It's probably possible, but you could always fringe wash with a different method, I CO wash, but I fringe wash with handsoap.

ravenheather
August 28th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Oh, that's great, thanks. I kinda thought the Swedish ones were different from the foreign ones, not having the right ingredients or something. Great. :)

If I recall correctly, the daktarin has mineral oil in it. I don't think you can wo that out. Monistat brand (here in US) does not have mineral oil. Maybe you could order on amazon.com.

MaryMarx
September 13th, 2012, 02:11 AM
If I recall correctly, the daktarin has mineral oil in it. I don't think you can wo that out. Monistat brand (here in US) does not have mineral oil. Maybe you could order on amazon.com.

Thank you, good to know! :)

ingvild
September 13th, 2012, 02:24 AM
What an inspirational thread! I love the pics, everyone's hair looks great.
I'm definitely interested in WO, but the shower I have now sucks. :p I'd like to try when I move to a place with a better shower (December!). Hmm, maybe I will. I'll peruse the WO thread. :D

Blackfire
April 25th, 2013, 05:39 PM
two weeks in to water only, more to come!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s41/dontfearthedarkness/wateronlytwoweeks_zpsc0f94f10.jpg (http://s149.photobucket.com/user/dontfearthedarkness/media/wateronlytwoweeks_zpsc0f94f10.jpg.html)

MiamiPineapple
April 28th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I love seeing everyones results in this thread. I wish I wasn't such a product addict!

hafattack
August 13th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Am I allowed to bump this thread?
I am really interested to see some before, during, or after photos!

Peggy E.
August 14th, 2013, 11:32 AM
This is my hair today. I made the mistake of adding some monistat to the front section of my hair last night, which made it very greasy looking. Now I'm going to have to see if this can be worked in, or if I'm now going to have to start over again. I was just under two weeks, so wouldn't be too tragic to re-start the program.

This is a very protective style, while also helping with the greasies, and it looks really cool, too! But, oh, how my hair is getting so very thin, it is so very depressing....

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj35/DCElliott/008_zpsb218ca01.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/DCElliott/media/008_zpsb218ca01.jpg.html)

Maktub
August 14th, 2013, 01:09 PM
It looks beautiful ! I'd love to have your color at 61 ! :)

purrmonsterr
August 15th, 2013, 07:40 PM
This is the first I've heard of Sebum Only, I just read up on it and I think I'm going to try it out, or at least a variation. My scalp doesn't produce much oil anyway so I'm not worried about getting too greasy, but my ends are pretty damaged and NEED a leave-in. Once I eventually cut all the damage off I could see myself using just this method. This should be fun. :)

tiny_teesha
August 30th, 2014, 12:51 AM
I've just started no shampoo, but using herbs and flours as a "dry shampoo" and rinseing it out. Do i pass to contribute? Maybe I will once it's all settled and I'll show you a timeline all in one?

Ingrid
August 30th, 2014, 01:29 AM
I've just started no shampoo, but using herbs and flours as a "dry shampoo" and rinseing it out. Do i pass to contribute? Maybe I will once it's all settled and I'll show you a timeline all in one?

I do occasional herbal rinses and I'm mostly NW/SO :) You can contribute for sure, I think!

Knifegill
August 30th, 2014, 03:11 AM
I was previously doing water only, but my surge in interest about hair care has led me to use cocoa, coffee, tiny amounts of dr' bronner's and tea tree oil, playing with it.

But is water only going to help prevent breaks? My hair tends to break a lot.

Maktub
November 13th, 2014, 08:47 PM
I think the "breakage prevention" in SO and WO is from distributing the natural oils (and preventing harsh chemicals), not the water itself. Am I wrong ?

Ingrid
November 13th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I think the "breakage prevention" in SO and WO is from distributing the natural oils (and preventing harsh chemicals), not the water itself. Am I wrong ?

This, and also minimisng exposure to water reduces the possibility of damage from hydral fatigue.

squirrrel
November 14th, 2014, 01:13 AM
Didn't realise we had a WO/SO picture thread! Looking good everyone! :)

Knifegill
November 14th, 2014, 02:42 AM
It is as I had feared. Only people with clean-looking hair are willing to share! :p

louzen
November 14th, 2014, 04:14 AM
two weeks in to water only, more to come!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s41/dontfearthedarkness/wateronlytwoweeks_zpsc0f94f10.jpg (http://s149.photobucket.com/user/dontfearthedarkness/media/wateronlytwoweeks_zpsc0f94f10.jpg.html)

Blackfire - Your hair looks amazing! I could never guess you've been WO! (Mine would be a greasy mess!)

louzen
November 14th, 2014, 05:07 AM
I think I might show you guys how greasy my hair gets after a week!!

Bettina
November 14th, 2014, 07:46 AM
I have been washing my hair with water only for about 1.5 months now. My hair was pixie cut three months ago (I'm growing it now) and I have to wet it every morning in the shower because of crazy bed hair, but yeah, no more product. I gently massage my scalp a bit and that's it. I don't use a dryer, just let it air dry. For a couple of weeks it looked oily but it's really settling down now. It has more body and feels soft, and I'm excited to think it might be growing faster :-)

squirrrel
November 14th, 2014, 10:05 AM
It is as I had feared. Only people with clean-looking hair are willing to share! :p

Well... I've not posted anything to the thread... However, feel free to take a look at my album http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12068 where I have lots of progress photo's of the 4 weeks or so that I've been following the SO routine! Some pics are nicer than others! I try to update Sunday/Monday as the Sunday is the last day in my week (so Sunday coming will be 35th day SO)

Knifegill
November 14th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Maybe greasy hair just doesn't look bad after all. That might be what's going on, here.

squirrrel
November 14th, 2014, 11:28 AM
That may be what it is. :) I think that grease looks a lot worse to the person its on half the time. Plus - grease isn't dirt, so huge difference! :)

louzen
November 14th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Does the grease gradually go the longer you WO?

Bettina
November 14th, 2014, 05:28 PM

I can't post any pictures yet because I'm too new to these boards!

lapushka
November 14th, 2014, 05:47 PM
My hair was one greasy mess on this method. :( Not to mention my SD went full force on me. SD. The sure barometer for me to any method. :)

LoveAngelBeauty
November 14th, 2014, 07:53 PM
I don't even know what greasy hair is.

Bettina
November 16th, 2014, 06:14 PM
This method is really working for me. I feel no desire to shampoo my hair at all! It's not very long yet, (between pixie and bob) and it's got more body than ever before and feels like it's healthy and soft. I'm really keen to see how long I can go just rinsing it with water in the shower every day.

calmyogi
November 23rd, 2014, 03:50 PM
Do you guys need to trim as often since WO or SO?

squirrrel
November 24th, 2014, 12:28 AM
I'm getting rid of old dry hair, so until that has gone I doubt I'll see much difference that way. I think it also depends on just what your routine was before as well... Some shampoo/conditioners hide splits, so it's hard to know they are there. Then you change the routine and they all come slipping out of the woodwork to wave at you!

calmyogi
November 24th, 2014, 09:18 AM
I'm getting rid of old dry hair, so until that has gone I doubt I'll see much difference that way. I think it also depends on just what your routine was before as well... Some shampoo/conditioners hide splits, so it's hard to know they are there. Then you change the routine and they all come slipping out of the woodwork to wave at you!

Lol "why hello there! You thought your hair was healthy? He he nope."

That's what came to mind when I read your comment :)

squirrrel
November 24th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I like it! :) Scary thing is I know people that when I mention having split ends to point out that they go to the hairdressers far more regularly than I do (i can go years without going because I'm bad at arranging appts, but I do S&D and similar) and Still have splits...

Bettina
November 25th, 2014, 03:36 AM
My hair is feeling and looking dirty, limp, yuk.
I'm tempted to wash it again.

calmyogi
November 25th, 2014, 06:54 AM
My hair is feeling and looking dirty, limp, yuk.
I'm tempted to wash it again.

How long has you been going at it?

I like it! :) Scary thing is I know people that when I mention having split ends to point out that they go to the hairdressers far more regularly than I do (i can go years without going because I'm bad at arranging appts, but I do S&D and similar) and Still have splits...

My hair doesn't split abnormally fast, but it does need it every 8 weeks max. That's when I start to see the little tiny splits and white spots at the ends happening a quarter inch off will usually do it. I use to be bad at making the appt but not now. I just went in for a trim though and ended up with a inch off! I feel it in my gut that's it's going to take some time for me to find the right person for trimming my hair so I really want to buy lots of time before I have to do it again.

MsPharaohMoan
November 25th, 2014, 10:18 AM
After 12 days of not washing hair and only using bbb I had sebum distributed to the ends but I found the roots just kept getting gunkier. Then again I also neglected the BBB on the last two days...

eta: woooooops, wrong thread! ignore me :D

Knifegill
November 25th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Immediately after a fingers-only scritch, massage and detangle. I didn't shake much so the flakes are still in there, but they always shake out well.

Also, bedhead warning. Will have to wet if I decide to go buy duck food, etc. This is not public hair!

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/Hair/IMGP8151_zps5b775321.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/Hair/IMGP8150_zpsb4abf25f.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/Hair/IMGP8149_zps84735a2b.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/Hair/IMGP8148_zps65008a81.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/Hair/IMGP8147_zps9d1f8139.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/Hair/IMGP8145_zps6afda836.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Knifegill/Hair/IMGP8144_zps8725284f.jpg

Bettina
November 25th, 2014, 09:58 PM
After 12 days of not washing hair and only using bbb I had sebum distributed to the ends but I found the roots just kept getting gunkier. Then again I also neglected the BBB on the last two days...

eta: woooooops, wrong thread! ignore me :D

How long has you been going at it?

I think the last time I used shampoo and conditioner was the start of October. Since then, nothing but water.

squirrrel
November 26th, 2014, 12:36 AM
12 days really isn't long when it comes to not using water on your hair - transition takes weeks and is effected by hormones. Plus there is a real need to SMP as well as use the BBB. That's a great tool, but it doesn't do anything like enough to distribute that sebum to the ends of your hair and the like, and it doesn't do anything for the 'massage' part of the routine... I would suggest maybe reading through the NW/SO thread - it's long, but there is a wealth of info held within it on how best to manage the NW/SO routine.

Bettina
November 27th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Hello. Could someone please tell me why it looks so bad, after nearly two months? It's really depressing!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14487&d=1417137463

lapushka
November 28th, 2014, 05:42 AM
Hello. Could someone please tell me why it looks so bad, after nearly two months? It's really depressing!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14487&d=1417137463

Not rinsing/massaging properly with the water? IDK. If you are doing all things correctly, maybe the method isn't for you?

LadyCelestina
November 28th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Bettina,are you doing sebum only or water only? I think based on pics I saw on the SO thread that most people who do SO have kind of piecey hair,so maybe it's just...how it's gonna look?

MJ1972
November 29th, 2014, 01:22 AM

IDK. If you are doing all things correctly, maybe the method isn't for you?

Bettina, Laspushka may be right. WO isn't for everyone. I myself tried it for five months, and at the end of those five months my hair was looking every bit as gross as it was when I first started. I ended up giving up in disgust. I'm getting the impression that the only people who can make WO work for them are people with thick, luxuriant hair who live in soft-water areas and have good showerheads with a powerful jet. I (thin, fine, greasy hair; terrible shower) clearly didn't stand a chance.

For what it's worth, I've heard experienced WO-ers say that their change for the better came after half a year, and others had to stick it out for a full year before things started improving. None of those people had great-looking hair, even after their turns for the better. I have yet to meet someone with truly gorgeous WO hair.

Knifegill
November 29th, 2014, 02:00 AM
I have medium, wurly, brown hair and well water, water-only works great on me! I just go to warm and rinse/rub a long time, then cold to finish. Hard to resist the ACV rinse, though, I admit I was doing that. Now going for sebum only so we'll see if I have to revert back to water only in time. Of course, the longer my hair gets, the more things do change!

calmyogi
November 29th, 2014, 05:13 AM
I have medium, wurly, brown hair and well water, water-only works great on me! I just go to warm and rinse/rub a long time, then cold to finish. Hard to resist the ACV rinse, though, I admit I was doing that. Now going for sebum only so we'll see if I have to revert back to water only in time. Of course, the longer my hair gets, the more things do change!

Do you use the water straight out of the well? Because I know quite a few houses that use well water have a softening system built in. This would make a huge difference. It's like having an industrial filter.

calmyogi
November 29th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Does a vinegar rinse in areas with hard water help WO'ers?

Knifegill
November 29th, 2014, 09:40 AM
No, no softener. Just pure, fresh, soft groundwater.

I would think vinegar rinse would help everybody, but I could be wrong.

ManeSqueeze
November 29th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Here's what I look like after... I think about 2 weeks. I don't wash my hair unless it feels like I'm getting a lot of build up or it fell into something gross. Ever try to get an over-ripe oozy cheese out of your hair without shampoo? Sometimes I spill some whey on it as well, and that stink doesn't go away without a soap.

I just let it be, I pop tapioca starch on the roots if they're looking really greasy and some coconut oil on the ends if they're looking dry. I'm fine with dusting my roots because I'm also fine with oiling the ends. They're the inverses of each other. In the morning I de-tangle with a paddle brush, then brush with a boar hair brush, then I fluff it up with a paddle brush. I get really awesome braid waves because my hair tends to be in a braid most of the time, otherwise I'm stick straight. Not washing has not added any curl at all, but it does add body. My hair looks pretty piece-y in the pictures, but I think it looks nicer in real life.

I've also been using some Monistat and am producing more oil because of the dry season/where my hormones are right now.

I find that if I do a WO wash, I get helmet head and my hair refuses to move. If I get caught in the rain or heavy snow, or go swimming, I just wash my hair rather than worry about working it back to where I had it. It's a little sad because I love my hair when I don't wash it, but it is really soft afterwords.

At what point does one go from "I wash every 2 weeks/every month" to SO?

http://i60.tinypic.com/eijac6.jpg
Please excuse the paint spots on the mirror.
You can pretty easily see where the sebum is right now. I feel like the further down it goes, the less braid waves I have. C'est la vie!
http://i61.tinypic.com/4hctpc.jpg

calmyogi
November 30th, 2014, 02:31 PM
ManeSqueeze I don't think your hair looks piecey. I like really natural looking hair over styled and overly clean hair though.

So am I understanding that you do wash with shampoo, but not that often? what is the Monistat for, to help produce oil? Sorry if I'm asking a already answered question....

calmyogi
November 30th, 2014, 02:33 PM
No, no softener. Just pure, fresh, soft groundwater.

I would think vinegar rinse would help everybody, but I could be wrong.

Ok. I was just wondering, but the people I knew lived in LA and were on a well. I think the water in that area was very hard.

Knifegill
November 30th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Pacific northwest. Hardest thing in my water is a trace of sodium, but not much.

calmyogi
December 1st, 2014, 09:41 AM
Pacific northwest. Hardest thing in my water is a trace of sodium, but not much.

That sounds so nice!

calmyogi
May 26th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Anyone still hanging out on this thread?

Knifegill
May 30th, 2015, 08:20 AM
I eventually got little red sores from no-wash and have, for the time being, gone back to a monthly shampoo (bronner's soap). Immediately after I 'poo, though, I soak my scalp and hair in a sludge of super strong green tea, cocoa powder, and gelatin to restore its character. And then ACV rinse to conclude.

calmyogi
June 5th, 2015, 09:22 PM
I eventually got little red sores from no-wash and have, for the time being, gone back to a monthly shampoo (bronner's soap). Immediately after I 'poo, though, I soak my scalp and hair in a sludge of super strong green tea, cocoa powder, and gelatin to restore its character. And then ACV rinse to conclude.

I'm sorry! At least once a month is pretty low poo. I started using the miracle water and it has made a huge difference in my hair. The ends aren't crunchy while aren't greasy either.

Sableringlets
June 11th, 2015, 07:07 PM
How do people with curly hair-- hair that's spiral curls or tighter-- still keep their curl pattern with WO or SO? How would you keep down the frizz and prevent the weight from making the top flat?

calmyogi
June 26th, 2015, 09:18 PM
How do people with curly hair-- hair that's spiral curls or tighter-- still keep their curl pattern with WO or SO? How would you keep down the frizz and prevent the weight from making the top flat?
My hair isn't spiraly but I know that after I wet my hair with water the curls would come back. If you brush and preen really good before rinsing your hair when you get out the curl pattern should return after drying, right? Also, after my hair got use to the sebum it didnt weigh my hair, but, rather, acted more like a mousse and enhanced the body.

Eichan
June 26th, 2015, 10:09 PM
I'm sorry! At least once a month is pretty low poo. I started using the miracle water and it has made a huge difference in my hair. The ends aren't crunchy while aren't greasy either.

I'm sorry, but what is miracle water??? My curiosity is piqued!

lilin
June 26th, 2015, 10:25 PM
I'm sorry, but what is miracle water??? My curiosity is piqued!

This!

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51184

I've been wanting to try it too.

Lemon*
December 23rd, 2015, 01:03 PM
Love all the pictures. I've been no poo for 5 years and water only with a few stints of NW/So in between. And a few clarifying washes when I got married. My husband became water only because of me and his hair looks awesome. I'll post pictures of both of us when I have enough posts. :D

Lemon*
December 23rd, 2015, 01:05 PM
Oops meant to say that I've been water only for 3 years now.
At the moment I mist my hair with Distilled water once a week.

Hairkay
December 23rd, 2015, 01:20 PM

I have no problem keep my curls with water only washing. The more hydrated the hair the curlier it is. It is for that reason plus dry skin would literally be a pain to have that I won't go the sebum only approach. My scalp would be a mess and my curls would stretch out in a limp non appealing way.

Tinyponies
March 5th, 2019, 05:57 AM
Sharing cause I’d love to see more pics of wo/so people’s hair.

https://i.imgur.com/C0lYg2D.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VAXiTKA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lFKCfs5.jpg

This is not particularly good days or anything special (the first two on a whim as we had great light, the second one while I had some imbalance after water washing). I have some ongoing dandruff that’s slowly clearing, and my ends have a lot of mechanical damage from before I knew better.

shaluwm_agape
March 5th, 2019, 07:27 AM
So I will post progress pics here as well

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34954&d=1546555116
3 months WO

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34554&d=1545160365
First updo in this style

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35499&d=1550361513
2,weeks ago

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35760&d=1551513225

A few days ago

Tinyponies
March 5th, 2019, 09:59 AM
Awesome to see the evolution, and similarities. :love: :inlove:

shaluwm_agape
March 5th, 2019, 10:16 AM
Awesome to see the evolution, and similarities. :love: :inlove:

Thank you you can definitely see how much better it looks on camera the first bun pic vs the second I was definitely out of transition by the 2nd bun pic. Though it's still a process of learning & loving my natural hair

Tinyponies
April 17th, 2019, 09:13 PM
~5(?) months almost completely nw

https://i.imgur.com/DfPTWFr.jpg

(Picture seemed to resize very weirdly when using BB code)

RB14
June 10th, 2019, 05:33 PM
4 months of WO. Now I'm into SO. The 1st pic is from the day I began WO, the 2nd pic is 8 days after my last WO wash.
https://i.postimg.cc/Sxw0mCdW/20190602-151734.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

shaluwm_agape
June 10th, 2019, 07:58 PM
Your hair looks sooooooooo healthy RB

Tinyponies
June 10th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Your hair looks sooooooooo healthy RB
Totally agree your hair looks great! :inlove:

Carrieberry77
June 11th, 2019, 11:06 AM
Wow your hair looks great!
If I were to do this with my fine oily hair I'd end up looking like gollum lol.

RB14
June 15th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Thanks Shaluwm_agape, Tinyponies & Carrieberry77! My hair was horrible till 4 months ago! Thank goodness I happened to accidentally practice no poo and then stumbled across the wealth of information in this community! 😇 SO is working even better than WO on my hair now. In fact, when I washed my hair after stretching the awful transition as much as I could, my hair went halfway back to bad again and got better 5 days after the wash. 😅

RB14
June 15th, 2019, 03:44 PM
Wow your hair looks great!
If I were to do this with my fine oily hair I'd end up looking like gollum lol.
I did resemble Gollum during transition and marched on through it for the sake of my precioussss. 😂

RB14
June 15th, 2019, 03:50 PM
That's my semi-Gollum hair at 22 days after last WO wash. 😁👇
https://i.postimg.cc/wxPdTF1k/sketch-1560635281188.png (https://postimages.org/)

Carrieberry77
June 16th, 2019, 01:34 AM
I did resemble Gollum during transition and marched on through it for the sake of my precioussss. 😂
LOL! Way to go :)

PeonyBlue
December 21st, 2020, 04:34 PM
Worth reviving this thread I think, since it was recently brought up in another.

I don’t know if I mentioned this when I took my hair typing pics the other week, but I’ve been pretty much WO since maybe late August/early September...I’ve just had the occasional ACV rinse and a touch of Garnier hair food on the ends when they feel dry. I think these pics were probably 3 months into the journey.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50661938296_6abaa33a2c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kbPFdL)Wavy 2s? (https://flic.kr/p/2kbPFdL) by Yesterday- Today (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191184884@N02/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50661204663_fbe9369aab.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2kbKV8V)Wavy 2s? (https://flic.kr/p/2kbKV8V) by Yesterday- Today (https://www.flickr.com/photos/191184884@N02/), on Flickr

If anything, my waves and curls are more pronounced with WO.

Feral_
December 22nd, 2020, 03:54 AM
Wow PeonyBlue I have wave and length envy! Glad it’s working for you :o

Here’s my NWSO at just over 4 weeks...

https://i.imgur.com/R4yTQvO.jpg

Tinyponies
December 24th, 2020, 05:14 AM
Peony your hair is beautiful. Love that natural look.

Feral I can’t get over that shine. Gorgeous.

This is today’s pic. I’m steady away on very long gaps (~a month) between washes. I have been washing with garnier hair food papaya in cold water for a year. This week I had a warm shower and water rinsed my hair. That was 4 days ago, and I haven’t touched it since, no brushing yet, just bunned up as usual.

https://i.imgur.com/6cnCs3a.jpg

Feral_
December 24th, 2020, 06:33 AM
Tinyponies your hair looks happy! Love the natural waves and cute bun kinks :flower:

Something I’m noticing with NWSO is fewer shed hairs. This morning after I’d finger combed then used my horn comb, there was only 2 shed hairs from my whole head - that’s got to be a good thing.

Jane99
December 24th, 2020, 06:34 PM
Peony, Feral, and Tinyponies your hair all looks great! Very healthy looking hair. I probably won’t ever be able to do a WO or SO but I appreciate your efforts and it’s interesting to see how well it works for you

Feral_
December 25th, 2020, 08:13 AM
Peony, Feral, and Tinyponies your hair all looks great! Very healthy looking hair. I probably won’t ever be able to do a WO or SO but I appreciate your efforts and it’s interesting to see how well it works for you

Jane99, thanks. To be honest I really did not think I would be able to do SO either! It seemed a huge leap from WO, probably because I expected my hair to rebel. It hasn’t - so far. My favourite thing is feeling the softness, and seeing the shine knowing that’s my hair’s own conditioner, nowt else. I’m just enjoying the liberation while I can!

Tinyponies
December 25th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Thanks Jane99, it means a lot. I’m grateful to all of the nw and so explorers that went before and created such amazing stores of info for us.

Feral_
December 29th, 2020, 12:35 PM
Right, here we are at 5 weeks NWSO. No filter. I hope it continues to be this soft and shiny :o

https://i.imgur.com/N64XoMd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/i3D488u.jpg

squirrrel
December 29th, 2020, 01:10 PM
These are gorgeous, Feral. Five weeks in and rocking it.

PeonyBlue
December 29th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Sooo shiny! I love that your hair keeps its wave while SO...I always thought water would be needed to get the waves going.

Feral_
December 30th, 2020, 02:33 AM
These are gorgeous, Feral. Five weeks in and rocking it.

Thank you! I still can’t quite believe it, Squirrrel. The paranoia is real - OH still has the regular task of sniffing my hair in case it smells - happy to report it doesn’t :D

Sooo shiny! I love that your hair keeps its wave while SO...I always thought water would be needed to get the waves going.

TBH PeonyBlue I love the fact the shine is my own scalp’s magic. I’m guessing the sebum helps hold the waves. It’s a bit flatter if I use my BBB :)

squirrrel
January 2nd, 2021, 05:23 AM
I just made a collage of pictures of my hair: the first was after washing and brushing it a few months ago, the rest as I tried to compare how my hair looked at various stages of my smp (it got too challenging to use them all, so I only put in the first and last of those).

https://i.imgur.com/Wu57uOc.jpg

And as an additional bonus, around this stage the last time I attempted this:

https://i.imgur.com/KSenctb.jpg

Feral_
January 2nd, 2021, 07:01 AM
Wow Squirrrel what a lovely collection of pics. I have length and plait envy! Nice to see a close up too :o

squirrrel
January 2nd, 2021, 08:30 AM
You will get there in time. But I know how it feels looking forward to getting longer. Thanks.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2021, 08:44 AM
Man! Man! You guys' hair looks so great with this method. If I were to do this, my scalp would hate me for it (seborrheic dermatitis). It's great, that YMMV thing, right?

But awesome! :D

squirrrel
January 3rd, 2021, 08:59 AM
Definitely. You need to keep on top of it regardless of how your mileage goes: not doing SMP regularly leads to a very unhappy scalp. Since that’s your cleaning method, it’s just neglect if you don’t. Otherwise, I think we all have our different methods for SMP. I think it’s like having a mini wash day every day: just no drying time! And m for me, no annoying hair all over the place post ‘wash’. Definitely a case of having to learn what works for you. I tried using a microfibre towel a few days ago to see if that would move the sebum more. Talk about static city!

Feral_
January 3rd, 2021, 09:53 AM
Man! Man! You guys' hair looks so great with this method. If I were to do this, my scalp would hate me for it (seborrheic dermatitis). It's great, that YMMV thing, right?

But awesome! :D

I think that’s the thing Lapushka, you definitely need to ensure your scalp is happy. I’ve always had a normal scalp, except once when it reacted to a Lush shampoo bar - goodness knows what was in that but my whole head itched like mad.

Luckily I’ve not had any dandruff, excessive greasiness or sebum issues with NWSO. It weird is how changeable the hair is doing this method though. After a scritch, massage and brush mine can look a bit flat... then I bun it overnight and magically it’s normal hair again in the morning. I’m 6 weeks in today and still waiting to see if it goes wrong lol.

squirrrel
January 3rd, 2021, 12:30 PM
Sharing cause I’d love to see more pics of wo/so people’s hair.

https://i.imgur.com/C0lYg2D.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VAXiTKA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lFKCfs5.jpg

This is not particularly good days or anything special (the first two on a whim as we had great light, the second one while I had some imbalance after water washing). I have some ongoing dandruff that’s slowly clearing, and my ends have a lot of mechanical damage from before I knew better.

Goodness Ponies. I look through this thread. Your hair has grown so much since these photos!

Feral_
January 3rd, 2021, 12:43 PM
Wow ‘Ponies your hair pics are amazing - the light really captured the colour. I think your length then is about what mine is now, so as ever, you give me hope to grow it longer! :heart:

squirrrel
January 9th, 2021, 05:21 AM
So. Tomorrow sees a week since clarifying. I ended up taking some snaps today:

https://i.imgur.com/aVw5V2Y.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4KL2nji.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Bf6ZGYN.jpg

Feral_
January 9th, 2021, 05:51 AM
Awesome Squirrrel ! It looks very soft. When you clarified, did you do the whole hair or just your scalp? I’ve never done a clarify so please excuse my ignorance. How long will it take do you think to get the sebum coated? At a week I realise it’s probably early days.

Here’s mine taken this week. I can’t see any change from the last ones, hope that’s a good thing :hmm:

https://i.imgur.com/jV0XKzH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/56IhGwP.jpg

squirrrel
January 9th, 2021, 05:59 AM
No problem. Clarifying is to get the products off of the hair that might cause build up. If I remember correctly, you need to use shampoo with sulfates to do it. People have said that clear shampoo will clarify your hair, but some buy shampoo which is marketed as clarifying. Chelation, on the other hand, is supposed to remove mineral buildup. In essence, these products are supposed to help you begin with a clean sheet. Some promote baking soda and apple cider vinegar as things that can help with this too. It has been a long time since I looked into it though and I don’t know enough, personally, to verify it! :cheese:

As far as getting the hair fully coated goes, I will need to wait and see. I am quite pleased with progress. I think that there is a noticeable amount beginning to head for around APL, and when my hair is together, I believe that there is a little all the way down: my braids look sleek right to the very end. Still a lot of work to do to get the ends properly coated though.

Yours looks great now. Long may progress continue.

ETA: I will say, part of me is impatient to be able to report progress. I need to remember to hurry up and wait!

sky-
January 9th, 2021, 07:38 PM
It looks so nice!

squirrrel
January 9th, 2021, 11:46 PM
It looks so nice!

Thanks for my share of that, Sky. I agree that Feral’s hair is looking great.

PeonyBlue
January 10th, 2021, 03:31 AM
That is great, squirrel - I wish I’d thought to photo document my journey into WO!.

Feral - i still can’t get over how shiny you hair is!

Feral_
January 10th, 2021, 04:13 AM

Thanks PeonyBlue, neither can I! :blushing:

squirrrel
January 10th, 2021, 04:15 AM
That is great, squirrel - I wish I’d thought to photo document my journey into WO!.

Thank you. This is my second attempt: I have an album with pictures of what it was like the first time in my profile as well. I got too lazy and didn’t keep up the work needed to make it look good then, so that is my possible tipping point...

Tinyponies
January 10th, 2021, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the compliments, guys! <3

I absolutely love seeing the progress pics along with the length of time you have been doing it. It’s so great for my brain that likes to normalise things and get really comfortable with new (or ancient) ideas.

Oh! I remember sunny days! Brr
SO is the greatest for winter!

lapushka
January 11th, 2021, 01:19 AM
squirrel & Feral, your hair looks great. Sorry to address you both at the same time, but... I mean, you both have lovely hair! :) If my scalp wasn't as picky, I for sure would jump on this train like you wouldn't believe!

squirrrel
January 11th, 2021, 02:08 AM
Thanks, Lapushka, and no problem.

Feral_
January 11th, 2021, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the compliments, guys! <3

I absolutely love seeing the progress pics along with the length of time you have been doing it. It’s so great for my brain that likes to normalise things and get really comfortable with new (or ancient) ideas.

Oh! I remember sunny days! Brr
SO is the greatest for winter!

You’re so right there ’Ponies. And think of the water I’m saving! :thumbsup:

squirrel & Feral, your hair looks great. Sorry to address you both at the same time, but... I mean, you both have lovely hair! :) If my scalp wasn't as picky, I for sure would jump on this train like you wouldn't believe!

Thanks Lapushka, that’s quite alright. I was saying yesterday on LHC how lucky I am to have a ‘normal’ scalp, that helps massively with this method. Yesterday evening after I did my scritch, massage detangle routine my hair felt so soft, I kept touching it lol. At the same time, my dog came up for a cuddle and as I was stroking him I thought how similar it felt! :lol:

Feral_
January 11th, 2021, 01:41 PM
The one area I previously found would show oiliness is the fringe area, so I’m posting this to hopefully show mine isn’t greasy with NWSO. I’m 7 weeks in now. The softness is unreal, I honestly did not think hair could be like this. Sorry for spamming the thread again! :blushing:

https://i.imgur.com/C3Pj7q6.jpg

xanthochromia
January 11th, 2021, 01:51 PM
The one area I previously found would show oiliness is the fringe area, so I’m posting this to hopefully show mine isn’t greasy with NWSO. I’m 7 weeks in now. The softness is unreal, I honestly did not think hair could be like this. Sorry for spamming the thread again! :blushing:

WOW, it looks beautiful! So incredibly shiny.

Stagecoach
January 12th, 2021, 06:56 AM
Water only cleansing for almost 10 months.

https://i.postimg.cc/9fHhDwL9/IMG-20210112-080831.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Tinyponies
January 12th, 2021, 08:26 AM
Feral, Stagecoach, *so* amazing and great to see your pictures.

Rock on, you natural beauties.

Feral_
January 12th, 2021, 01:07 PM
Stagecoach your hair looks beautiful, lovely colour and hemline.

‘Ponies thanks, as always.

BuddhaBelle
January 12th, 2021, 01:47 PM

girl! please teach me how to do this with a fringe. i’ve been stalking the threads but i didn’t think it would be possible until i grew my fringe out

PeonyBlue
January 12th, 2021, 01:48 PM
Stagecoach your hair looks beautiful, lovely colour and hemline.

Exactly what I wanted to say!

Buddhabelle - I did find my fringe sometimes took a little more work to make presentable, but it does settle down. In the early days I gave it a good scrub with a tissue to remove some of the oiliness, but haven’t had to do that for several months. I was WO, though, so I could also do a fringe wash as well.

Feral_
January 13th, 2021, 03:15 AM
girl! please teach me how to do this with a fringe. i’ve been stalking the threads but i didn’t think it would be possible until i grew my fringe out

BuddhaBelle, it’s possible! I use 2 tools. A boar bristle brush - brush the fringe up and away from my face pressing the bristles into my scalp. And then I comb it back in place with a narrow tooth horn comb - I’ve annoying cow licks on each side to contend with. I don’t put any face cream / sunscreen on my forehead either so there’s nothing for the hair to come into contact with to get greasy. Hope that helps! :)

leayellena
January 18th, 2021, 05:17 AM
how do you keep your length moisturised with these methods? length=classic+ and longer.

Feral_
January 18th, 2021, 05:30 AM
how do you keep your length moisturised with these methods? length=classic+ and longer.

Mines not that long yet, but so far the sebum is enough. Best tool I find to get it to the length is a fine tooth horn comb. I finger comb / detangle the length and ends after I’ve scalp massaged. If my ends get dry as my hair grows I’ll have to re-evaluate, but at present I don’t want to get into the cycle of oiling removing sebum kind of thing.

Tinyponies
January 18th, 2021, 11:34 AM
((Not technically SO, I’m very occasional CO once a month or less))

When I started experimenting with this, there was some dryness at the ends. But as I go longer, there seems to be less issue for me with dryness. I am certain that having my hair up in a bun pretty much all the time helps that a lot. I also wear head coverings, and I’m sure they help too.

squirrrel
January 26th, 2021, 12:34 PM
Hey... I’m still a few inches from classic but as long as I get the sebum to the ends of my hair or hide them amongst the scalp hair it is better moisturised than if I wash normally. I believe Sparrow Wings has her hair in the longer lengths and is primarily SO...

A busy few weeks for me, but I did manage to take some pictures. Not a lot of time spent on my hair tbh.

Pics taken on the 16th, two weeks in

https://i.imgur.com/NRLYDiP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ht0Jnah.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7Z88nJs.jpg

Pics taken on the 23rd, 3 weeks in
https://i.imgur.com/n6vwL8e.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RLK2WOC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zGQBZfp.jpg

Tinyponies
January 27th, 2021, 10:05 AM
Great pics, Squirrrel. Thanks for sharing here.
Good to hear you’re getting on happily, it’s going to be really interesting to meet you one day as our hair looks to be so similar. :)

Feral_
January 27th, 2021, 11:20 AM
Looking good Squirrrel ! Does your hair transition ok after the ‘hard reset’ of a shampoo wash?

squirrrel
January 27th, 2021, 11:35 AM
Hey... thanks Ponies and Feral. It’s coming okay. I do see that my ends look far better covered in the first set of pictures than in the following lot: can see I haven’t spent much time on them then! Right now I have my hair braided with the tail doubled up and the ends hiding in amongst the better coverage up top. This is the time when I have greasies if I have my hair down, though it does look okay from some angles.

Feral_
January 27th, 2021, 11:50 AM
I’m going to try and find a WO pic and a SO pic and put them both on here to compare, as I feel my texture has changed significantly :hmm:

Tinyponies
January 27th, 2021, 12:55 PM
I’m going to try and find a WO pic and a SO pic and put them both on here to compare, as I feel my texture has changed significantly :hmm:

:popcorn: :cool:

Feral_
January 27th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Ok this is WO from last year...

https://i.imgur.com/GwnQbtT.jpg

And this is tonight’s SO...

https://i.imgur.com/R5B8baK.jpg

Both have only been finger combed. Realise they look similar, but hopefully you can see the SO one is shinier and has more softness to the waves?

PeonyBlue
January 27th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Oh, that is so working for you! :thumbsup: I’m particularly impressed with how beautifully SO works with your waves. I’m not prepared to try SO yet, but you make it so very tempting!

Keep up the great pics!

Tinyponies
January 28th, 2021, 07:12 AM
Really interesting to see that comparison, Feral! Wow your hair looks so great.

Bat
January 28th, 2021, 07:27 AM
I'm not a big fan of this style of hair care but randomly decided to pop in and look at photos, I like how SO has bought our your texture Feral!

Sammich
January 28th, 2021, 07:53 AM
Feral I do love how your hair texture seems much more wurlier now with so! Looks good! I wouldn’t do this personally, my hair lacks volume after it gets sebum coated and I can’t stand the lack of fluffy ness and volume! My hair is too straight to do this I feel and it just looks lank after not washing for over a month. (I’ve gone 2 months before with benign neglect)

squirrrel
January 28th, 2021, 09:24 AM
Oh Feral. The difference is stunning. How gorgeous is your SO hair!

Sammich, for me the fluffiness is a downside to not using this method of hair care: too flyaway and easily damaged. The sebum coating adds extra protection to my length in a way nothing else can.

Feral_
January 28th, 2021, 09:55 AM
Oh, that is so working for you! :thumbsup: I’m particularly impressed with how beautifully SO works with your waves. I’m not prepared to try SO yet, but you make it so very tempting!

Keep up the great pics!

Thanks PeonyBlue. Yes it seems to have brought the waves out. I didn’t think SO would work for me, but it has, so I’d say go for it! :)

Really interesting to see that comparison, Feral! Wow your hair looks so great.

Thanks so much ‘Ponies! :heart:

I'm not a big fan of this style of hair care but randomly decided to pop in and look at photos, I like how SO has bought our your texture Feral!

Cheers Bat, it’s working at the mo so I’m sticking with it!

Feral I do love how your hair texture seems much more wurlier now with so! Looks good! I wouldn’t do this personally, my hair lacks volume after it gets sebum coated and I can’t stand the lack of fluffy ness and volume! My hair is too straight to do this I feel and it just looks lank after not washing for over a month. (I’ve gone 2 months before with benign neglect)

Sammich, yes it’s wurlier now though if I brush them out with my BBB it’s not as pronounced. You could do it with straight hair, distribute the sebum, and see if plaits and buns gives you some volume. That’s all I’m doing.

Oh Feral. The difference is stunning. How gorgeous is your SO hair!

Sammich, for me the fluffiness is a downside to not using this method of hair care: too flyaway and easily damaged. The sebum coating adds extra protection to my length in a way nothing else can.

Thanks Squirrrel it feels way softer with SO whereas before I had to find products to condition it, now the sebum does it, and there’s also less static.

squirrrel
January 30th, 2021, 02:32 PM
Very true, Feral. I agree that the softeness from the sebum is great.

I took some pictures a little while after a longer SMP session. I’m intrigued how the changing light varies how my hair looks...

https://i.imgur.com/iFE9SRK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PyZZc2o.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bQTA9V2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1XmJqJs.jpg

Feral_
January 31st, 2021, 02:52 AM
Amazing the colour change with the light Squirrrel, looks almost a dark strawberry blonde in direct sun, quite lovely.

Sammich
January 31st, 2021, 07:08 AM
That’s a crazy cool colour change squirrel. I love it! Looks so bright and beautiful in the sun.

squirrrel
January 31st, 2021, 01:53 PM
Thanks Feral and Sammich. I was a little surprised at how different it looked in sunlight: it looks far more like I’m used to seeing it in pictures like that. I’m never sure what colour to put it as: somewhere in the blonette to tawny range, I guess!

Tinyponies
February 2nd, 2021, 08:01 AM
Wow Squirrrel, your hair can reflect a lot of light!

squirrrel
February 6th, 2021, 01:59 PM
I admit I was very surprised at the difference, Ponies!

Feral_
February 22nd, 2021, 12:42 PM
Happy not washing! Latest pic, tinsel hair more apparent. Grey hair, don’t care ;)

https://i.imgur.com/Np36kGI.jpg

BuddhaBelle
February 22nd, 2021, 02:13 PM
Happy not washing! Latest pic, tinsel hair more apparent. Grey hair, don’t care ;)

Ooh it looks so beautiful and healthy!

Feral_
February 22nd, 2021, 02:28 PM
Ooh it looks so beautiful and healthy!

Thanks ‘Belle :blushing: The softness is unreal, it feels like fur, and I cannot quite believe how it’s going!

Sammich
February 22nd, 2021, 02:40 PM
Seriously beautiful. It works so well with your texture, the waves look very defined. I feel like so seems to work with waves and curls much better than straight.

Feral_
February 22nd, 2021, 02:53 PM
Seriously beautiful. It works so well with your texture, the waves look very defined. I feel like so seems to work with waves and curls much better than straight.

Sammich thanks, that’s something I’d actually not considered. I discovered my hair actually had waves during WO, before that it was fairly straight, 1b type. SO appears to have accentuated the waves and thickness.. I don’t know if this is typical for others.

Lainey
February 23rd, 2021, 10:20 AM
Ok this is WO from last year...

https://i.imgur.com/GwnQbtT.jpg

And this is tonight’s SO...

https://i.imgur.com/R5B8baK.jpg

Both have only been finger combed. Realise they look similar, but hopefully you can see the SO one is shinier and has more softness to the waves?

Your hair looks great in both pictures but the gloss on the second one is amazing. This method really suits you Feral.

Finda
February 23rd, 2021, 10:32 AM

Your hair has great shine! And it has grown a lot :)

Feral_
February 23rd, 2021, 10:49 AM
Your hair has great shine! And it has grown a lot :)

Thank you Finda! I think sometimes we do not notice our own hair growth, so it’s always nice to receive a growth compliment :flower:

squirrrel
February 23rd, 2021, 12:03 PM
I have to agree, Feral. The length you have gained is great, and I love the shine on it. You do have to do the comparison over time to notice it fully, though.

Feral_
March 11th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Update: nothing has changed lol. My hair wasn’t brushed or combed, just finger detangled, 4 months of SO.

Just trying to keep this thread alive if anyone wants to add theirs..?

https://i.imgur.com/P2HLfsy.jpg

baanoo
March 11th, 2021, 05:12 PM
Wow, Feral, your hair is looking so good! The shine is incredible and your texture looks fabulous.

PeonyBlue
March 11th, 2021, 05:53 PM
:thumbsup: Feral It’s great to see that it keeps on working...it’s gotta be inspirational for those trying SO.

And as much as I’d love to add my pics here, I probably fit more in the CO-wash group these days while I trial curly methods...and at this stage I’m not sure I’ll go back to a strict WO. You do tempt me to try SO, though...until I think of all the scratching/preening/etc and I realise I’m too lazy! :whistle:

SparrowWings
March 11th, 2021, 07:39 PM
Just trying to keep this thread alive if anyone wants to add theirs..?
If I can get myself out of this not-so-benign neglect mode I've been in for far too long, I'll see about getting a more recent picture. In the meantime, my ends are nothing to write home about, and my roots vary between greaseball and stringy. :( I'm so glad my scalp and hair are both generally so forgiving, because this is entirely my own failure, rather than a failure of the method! Please do keep posting your pictures, though. It's great to see how well it's working for you. :)

Feral_
March 12th, 2021, 06:14 AM
Wow, Feral, your hair is looking so good! The shine is incredible and your texture looks fabulous.

Thank you, baanoo! It’s weird having hair the same pretty much all the time but I am enjoying the softness SO gives.

:thumbsup: Feral It’s great to see that it keeps on working...it’s gotta be inspirational for those trying SO.

And as much as I’d love to add my pics here, I probably fit more in the CO-wash group these days while I trial curly methods...and at this stage I’m not sure I’ll go back to a strict WO. You do tempt me to try SO, though...until I think of all the scratching/preening/etc and I realise I’m too lazy! :whistle:

To be honest, PeonyBlue I don’t do a lot of SMP, but I think I have an easy non-greasy scalp! The time investment is minimal and only when changing from a bun to a plait do I detangle and go through the big comb to brush routine.

If I can get myself out of this not-so-benign neglect mode I've been in for far too long, I'll see about getting a more recent picture. In the meantime, my ends are nothing to write home about, and my roots vary between greaseball and stringy. :( I'm so glad my scalp and hair are both generally so forgiving, because this is entirely my own failure, rather than a failure of the method! Please do keep posting your pictures, though. It's great to see how well it's working for you. :)

SparrowWings, I have to help out my ends occasionally with hair salve, but I’ve found over time my scalp is quite clever in producing precisely the right amount of sebum. I’m sure I’ll run into problems the longer it gets though!

squirrrel
March 16th, 2021, 01:15 PM
Thank you, baanoo! It’s weird having hair the same pretty much all the time but I am enjoying the softness SO gives.

To be honest, PeonyBlue I don’t do a lot of SMP, but I think I have an easy non-greasy scalp! The time investment is minimal and only when changing from a bun to a plait do I detangle and go through the big comb to brush routine.

SparrowWings, I have to help out my ends occasionally with hair salve, but I’ve found over time my scalp is quite clever in producing precisely the right amount of sebum. I’m sure I’ll run into problems the longer it gets though!

I have been being pretty lazy recently: both in relation to SMP and when it comes to taking pictures. I need to do something about that. It’s so nice not needing to fuss about washing my hair...

squirrrel
March 20th, 2021, 05:45 AM
I might as well post this here as well. The first picture was apparently taken one week after I last washed my hair, the second was this morning: two months and ten days later.

https://i.imgur.com/Lu5TXar.jpg

Feral_
March 20th, 2021, 06:47 AM
Very nice Squirrrel :crush: I’m amazed how much thicker your hair looks in the recent photo. It just looks shinier, healthier and such pretty waves.

squirrrel
March 20th, 2021, 07:13 AM
Very nice Squirrrel :crush: I’m amazed how much thicker your hair looks in the recent photo. It just looks shinier, healthier and such pretty waves.

Thanks, Feral. The sebum definitely stops the fraying of the braid waves when I brush them out. I was also amazed at how much clearer my ends are on purple than on blue. This was the comparison of a year...

https://i.imgur.com/zv98sN3.jpg

I played around with the colours a lot to try and make the ends stand out more, but I only see that they have reached almost the bottom of the pockets on the shorts when I turn my screen brightness way up.

2nd edit to add: I just counted the number of weeks since that last hair wash: tomorrow is apparently 12 weeks!

Feral_
March 20th, 2021, 08:04 AM
That’s some decent growth Squirrrel! I’d be delighted with that. 12 weeks, awesome. I’m sure I read somewhere 4-11 weeks is a transition period?

I’m 4 months in. I love this method SO much hehe.

squirrrel
March 20th, 2021, 08:32 AM
That’s some decent growth Squirrrel! I’d be delighted with that. 12 weeks, awesome. I’m sure I read somewhere 4-11 weeks is a transition period?

I’m 4 months in. I love this method SO much hehe.

I am pleased: that is with some s&d and a cm or so taken off the ends of the racers in the first week or so of January. I should be in a good place to reach classic this year, and mid thigh length by the end of 2022: which is what my aim is. Then I might switch to seeing if I can thicken the ends up any: look at quarterly trims. By then, if I can remain consistent, I should be reaching a point where the first 12+ inches of my hair have never been ‘washed’ with water, and the ends I am left with will hopefully be easier to coat with sebum and potentially less easily damaged...

Transition? I’m not sure how much of one I have noticed. Recently I have been eating some products with polyol based sweeteners, and I eat quite a high fat diet in general (currently Keto). The doctor has asked me to switch to autoimmune protocol/paleo, and is happy for me to stick to the Keto version. I’m eating up the remainder of the products I have before starting. I’m going to miss the dairy and eggs: hoping that a home made bone broth will be a good replacement (can’t see my making omelette with bone broth instead of cream when I get to try reintroducing eggs though, so it’s not a substitute!).

Why the food waffle? Back to that point of the things you eat seeping out your pores and influencing your sebum.

I love that it is working so well for you. I enjoy the freedom from having to schedule in hair washes. SMP might be more regular, but not having to hang around with wet hair for hours (can’t stand the noise of a hairdryer even if heat wasn’t an issue) makes it far easier to fit in whenever.

Feral_
March 20th, 2021, 09:28 AM
I am pleased: that is with some s&d and a cm or so taken off the ends of the racers in the first week or so of January. I should be in a good place to reach classic this year, and mid thigh length by the end of 2022: which is what my aim is. Then I might switch to seeing if I can thicken the ends up any: look at quarterly trims. By then, if I can remain consistent, I should be reaching a point where the first 12+ inches of my hair have never been ‘washed’ with water, and the ends I am left with will hopefully be easier to coat with sebum and potentially less easily damaged...

Transition? I’m not sure how much of one I have noticed. Recently I have been eating some products with polyol based sweeteners, and I eat quite a high fat diet in general (currently Keto). The doctor has asked me to switch to autoimmune protocol/paleo, and is happy for me to stick to the Keto version. I’m eating up the remainder of the products I have before starting. I’m going to miss the dairy and eggs: hoping that a home made bone broth will be a good replacement (can’t see my making omelette with bone broth instead of cream when I get to try reintroducing eggs though, so it’s not a substitute!).

Why the food waffle? Back to that point of the things you eat seeping out your pores and influencing your sebum.

I love that it is working so well for you. I enjoy the freedom from having to schedule in hair washes. SMP might be more regular, but not having to hang around with wet hair for hours (can’t stand the noise of a hairdryer even if heat wasn’t an issue) makes it far easier to fit in whenever.

Diet plays a big part in many health outcomes. When you go back to eggs can’t you just make an omelette with them alone? My omelettes are just eggs and seasoning. I eat no meat - but eat fish, dairy, nuts, seeds, beans, pulses, veggies, homemade sourdough with butter :yumm:. I don’t eat junk food, or much fruit (fructose metabolism). Drink lots of water and various teas. Not a great diet to some but it’s varied enough to maintain a healthy weight for my activity level which is high, and my skin and hair don’t hate me.

Have you found less need to S&D? This is something I have noticed - the other day I went looking and struggled to find any. One hair looked a bit thicker at the end so I snipped it off, but I don’t get obvious splits or those white dots some mention.

I too love the freedom of not washing my hair, the whole process is a faff and mine isn’t even waist length yet. Plaits and buns stay put, cheers sebum. Hair condition is the same every day which pleases my OCD. The absolute best bit for me though is having hair as nature intended, and getting complimented on it!

Feral_
March 21st, 2021, 06:43 AM
Mine today. 4 months sebum only.

https://i.imgur.com/Dz5Yd7a.jpg

squirrrel
March 21st, 2021, 07:05 AM
Diet plays a big part in many health outcomes. When you go back to eggs can’t you just make an omelette with them alone? My omelettes are just eggs and seasoning. I eat no meat - but eat fish, dairy, nuts, seeds, beans, pulses, veggies, homemade sourdough with butter :yumm:. I don’t eat junk food, or much fruit (fructose metabolism). Drink lots of water and various teas. Not a great diet to some but it’s varied enough to maintain a healthy weight for my activity level which is high, and my skin and hair don’t hate me.

Have you found less need to S&D? This is something I have noticed - the other day I went looking and struggled to find any. One hair looked a bit thicker at the end so I snipped it off, but I don’t get obvious splits or those white dots some mention.

I too love the freedom of not washing my hair, the whole process is a faff and mine isn’t even waist length yet. Plaits and buns stay put, cheers sebum. Hair condition is the same every day which pleases my OCD. The absolute best bit for me though is having hair as nature intended, and getting complimented on it!

Hey... I’m Keto, so meat and dairy, currently, is a big part of my lifestyle. I pay extra for meat that has been raised well: both grass fed and in a way that is good for the environment. I believe that if animals are moved around seasonally over the right kind of area they are good for the environment, and a diet without meat would be bad for me. I have little interest in eating many of the things that you have to eat to remain healthy on a vegetarian diet: carbohydrates cause my anxiety to spike, especially if I am due to eat: with Keto I tend to be more on a stable keel. Nuts, seeds, beans and pulses are therefore either out, or just a minimal part of my diet. I don’t eat most things that require flour, but sometimes almond (when not on AIP elimination phase) or coconut flour on occasion. My main meal is some kind of meat and some veg, but when I switch to AIP it’s going to be berries and some kind of coconut (butter or homemade yogurt, or flakes) for breakfast, seafood and some veggies for lunch and dinner will be meat, more veggies and some fermented veggies. Processed food won’t be part of it. I might even make kefir or kombucha for drinking, but I just discovered a tea company and have joined their tea club, so I’m looking forward to trying out their teas... I do love how we all have different ways of eating. How I eat wouldn’t suit you and vice-versa, but as long as they work for us, that’s the important thing. I also think we are working towards the same thing in different ways.

Split ends? It’s hard to say. By which I mean that I haven’t had a good session since November: the light hasn’t been good enough for me to notice them. This month I have cut off a lot, but when did I gather them? I suspect that it won’t be for at least a year or two that I shall see the full impact of the change, given how many years of battering my ends have already endured. Wash days have never been good to my ends...

I haven’t had many complements so far, but I don’t see people that much: me and the cat, mostly. Beyond delivery people I have met up with one friend since January. Lots of people online, but video call isn’t the same as meeting up with people in general...

squirrrel
March 21st, 2021, 07:06 AM
Mine today. 4 months sebum only.

https://i.imgur.com/Dz5Yd7a.jpg

Looking fab.

squirrrel
March 22nd, 2021, 05:38 AM
Playing around with hair pictures today:

After my SMP, hair brushed forward and gathered into a ponytail. I doubled the length to hide my ends up by my scalp tail and then pulled some of the tail in concertina fashion before clipping in place. Result? Length as fringe/bangs.

https://i.imgur.com/HY7ptOX.jpg

Then hair flowing down pre preening session:
https://i.imgur.com/NYqVrpF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QE70s83.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wfYinBQ.jpg

Feral_
March 22nd, 2021, 06:53 AM
That’s so cool and a totally different look, it reminds me a bit of 1940s? hair styles. I love the lustre your hair has, squirrrel - sebum envy!

Tinyponies
March 22nd, 2021, 01:15 PM
Squirrrel, I love the folded fringe thing you’ve made! Hehe very cool.

squirrrel
March 22nd, 2021, 01:22 PM
Thank you both. I had fun with it today.

Gem
April 4th, 2021, 11:35 AM
I was going to ask how light hair fared with SO because I've only done it with darker hair before and now it's going silver fast, but Feral_'s pictures answered that! It seems that the answer is "spectacularly."

Feral_
April 4th, 2021, 12:30 PM
I was going to ask how light hair fared with SO because I've only done it with darker hair before and now it's going silver fast, but Feral_'s pictures answered that! It seems that the answer is "spectacularly."

Thank you, Gem! Yes my silvers are definitely making an appearance and I’m embracing them, though bizarrely I have none at the back of my head :confused: I noticed this the other day when my hair was in a bun - a symmetrical 1” streak of silver behind each ear, and random tinsel strands on top - but none at my nape / occiput area. The rest of my virgin hair is multiple shades due to environmental bleaching - for years I wore it loose so it’s evolved odd shades.

Gem
April 4th, 2021, 08:17 PM
Thank you, Gem! Yes my silvers are definitely making an appearance and I’m embracing them, though bizarrely I have none at the back of my head :confused: I noticed this the other day when my hair was in a bun - a symmetrical 1” streak of silver behind each ear, and random tinsel strands on top - but none at my nape / occiput area. The rest of my virgin hair is multiple shades due to environmental bleaching - for years I wore it loose so it’s evolved odd shades.

Mine is going in a similar pattern, though it isn't terribly noticeable yet, unfortunately. I am a big fan of my silvers.

Feral_
April 7th, 2021, 02:58 AM
I usually post pics of my hair down so thought I’d put a ‘work’ one up.
The sunlight shining on it makes my hair look nearly all grey :bigeyes: I promise you it isn’t! And complete with ‘bump’ from my sleep bun :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/EYufkHA.jpg

squirrrel
April 7th, 2021, 05:02 AM
What I notice is the pretty shine.

SparrowWings
April 7th, 2021, 05:55 AM
Yeah, definitely too dark all around to be confused with grey. Just shiny!

Gem
April 7th, 2021, 05:28 PM
Wow, your hair looks beautiful! I appreciate your photos a lot in part because we have the same listed hair type, but also just because they're great pictures.

Feral_
April 8th, 2021, 12:16 AM
Thanks all. It has been more shiny of late. Unsure if it’s because I’m not using my BBB, switched it for my Denman, and I only use that 2-3 times per week. Or if it’s my hair salve I put on my braid tassel once a week - does it soak right up the hair by some weird capillary action? :hmm:
Anyway I’m 5 months in :flower:

FrayedFire
April 8th, 2021, 12:38 AM

You're just ahead of me! I said I was gonna go WO for 2021 but I've been stretching it so far that it feels weird to call it WO when it's 98% SO. I know you were WO before, how often were you water-washing? I'm coming from CO, and I'm already seeing that my hair is handling it way better than the last time I did NW, prior to that.

Feral_
April 8th, 2021, 04:26 AM
You're just ahead of me! I said I was gonna go WO for 2021 but I've been stretching it so far that it feels weird to call it WO when it's 98% SO. I know you were WO before, how often were you water-washing? I'm coming from CO, and I'm already seeing that my hair is handling it way better than the last time I did NW, prior to that.

Hey FrayedFire, Initially I was water-washing every week, then stretched it to 10 days. Over time it crept up to 2 weeks - then I saw a pattern emerging lol. So I did sebum only more as an experiment really to see how long I could go, and here I am!
Does your scalp massager help you?

Tinyponies
April 8th, 2021, 12:58 PM
Looks wonderful, Feral! And that long braid suits you so much.

Finda
April 8th, 2021, 01:16 PM
Feral Your braid looks so long and shiny!

baanoo
April 8th, 2021, 07:13 PM
Dang, sis - Feral hair nirvana looks like it’s been realized! :inlove:

FrayedFire
April 9th, 2021, 01:41 AM
Hey FrayedFire, Initially I was water-washing every week, then stretched it to 10 days. Over time it crept up to 2 weeks - then I saw a pattern emerging lol. So I did sebum only more as an experiment really to see how long I could go, and here I am!
Does your scalp massager help you?

It sure does! I haven't been using it regularly for long enough to see what happens long term, but the immediate results are promising. I do still enjoy a regular scritchy scratchy, but that's nothing new, nothing quite like fingernails, in my opinion. Dentangling seems to serve as preening for the most part, I guess I was already most of the way adjusted, haha. I hate having wet hair. Ocassionally I just dampen my hands a few times and fluff my roots to refresh it if the fancy strikes me. Haven't even used the spray bottle. I'd probably have to feel gross before I saturated my hair at this point, especially since I have hard water. I like how consistent my hair has been the past few months.

BuddhaBelle
April 9th, 2021, 02:54 AM
Thanks all. It has been more shiny of late. Unsure if it’s because I’m not using my BBB, switched it for my Denman, and I only use that 2-3 times per week. Or if it’s my hair salve I put on my braid tassel once a week - does it soak right up the hair by some weird capillary action? :hmm:

You hair looks so lovely! I love how smooth the braid looks :lol: What made you switch from your BBB to your Denman? I'm totally not at the WO/SO yet as I've been struggling with greasy roots at the moment, but this week I haven't touched my bristle brush and my hair, especially my fringe, looks so much less greasy. :bigeyes:

Feral_
April 9th, 2021, 06:17 AM
Looks wonderful, Feral! And that long braid suits you so much.

Thanks so much, ‘Ponies! Braids are a bit more ‘me’ :heart:

Feral Your braid looks so long and shiny!

Thank you Finda. I’ve just hit waist, but man does a braid eat that length back up to MBL! :lol:

Dang, sis - Feral hair nirvana looks like it’s been realized! :inlove:

Getting there, baanoo! To be honest I’m still weirded out by how it thrives on NWSO?! :hmm:

It sure does! I haven't been using it regularly for long enough to see what happens long term, but the immediate results are promising. I do still enjoy a regular scritchy scratchy, but that's nothing new, nothing quite like fingernails, in my opinion. Dentangling seems to serve as preening for the most part, I guess I was already most of the way adjusted, haha. I hate having wet hair. Ocassionally I just dampen my hands a few times and fluff my roots to refresh it if the fancy strikes me. Haven't even used the spray bottle. I'd probably have to feel gross before I saturated my hair at this point, especially since I have hard water. I like how consistent my hair has been the past few months.

This is good to hear, ‘Frayed! I might look at getting one as I love a scalp massage. I just need to be careful not to go in circles, or voilá! knotted cavewoman hair lol. My detangling is my preening too - now though I make a conscious effort to Take. My. Time and there’s hardly any sheds :)

You hair looks so lovely! I love how smooth the braid looks :lol: What made you switch from your BBB to your Denman? I'm totally not at the WO/SO yet as I've been struggling with greasy roots at the moment, but this week I haven't touched my bristle brush and my hair, especially my fringe, looks so much less greasy. :bigeyes:

Thanks ‘Belle! Way back on the archived merged WO/NWSO thread someone mentioned using a Denman. I forgot all about it until I was having a clear out and found an old travel sized Denman. Washed the brush and really liked how it felt on my scalp, more stimulated than my BBB. If I go back to my BBB I’ll only use it on my scalp, not the length as for me it just removes too much sebum and obvs that’s what makes the hair shiny. If you want any advice to start I’m happy to help, and the folk on the Official NWSO are clued up :flower:

FrayedFire
April 13th, 2021, 12:18 AM
This is good to hear, ‘Frayed! I might look at getting one as I love a scalp massage. I just need to be careful not to go in circles, or voilá! knotted cavewoman hair lol. My detangling is my preening too - now though I make a conscious effort to Take. My. Time and there’s hardly any sheds :)

So definitely not for daily use, I did it 3 days in a row (all dry) and started getting sore scalp. I think I was a bit overeager... I did however notice that it didn't tangle as much as I expected when I tried some circular and back and forth motions... loose tangles, if anything. I do shed more than I'd like but I'm pretty sure that's diet/stress/multiple days and not that I'm going too fast. It's when I feel the snapping that I panic, hehe.

Side note, I see you used a-grave for your voilà! :king:

BuddhaBelle
April 13th, 2021, 06:00 AM
Thanks ‘Belle! Way back on the archived merged WO/NWSO thread someone mentioned using a Denman. I forgot all about it until I was having a clear out and found an old travel sized Denman. Washed the brush and really liked how it felt on my scalp, more stimulated than my BBB. If I go back to my BBB I’ll only use it on my scalp, not the length as for me it just removes too much sebum and obvs that’s what makes the hair shiny. If you want any advice to start I’m happy to help, and the folk on the Official NWSO are clued up :flower:

Thank you lady!!! I am just trying to calm my itchy scalp down and finish up my capillary schedule (lol) and I'm itching to give it a go. I remember my sister has a denman ages ago and I loved to use it, I just had a white of ditching all plastic on my hair due to frizz.