PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye henna, hello hair dye!

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM
After years of hennaing my hair red, i've realized that I really hate it. My hair colour has changed over the years, and is now a medium brown, and I hate my roots showing and having to henna all the time. I've been using indigo to make my hair darker, but after a week all you see is a weird maroon/ruby colour.... and dark roots... not attractive!

So, I've found (and spent a load) on the most organic natural hair colour I could find- Palette by Nature. I should get it by the end of the week. I'm hoping it will STAY on my hair and make it darker- and that the red henna won't show through in NO TIME. I'm also hoping that it blends a bit with my root colour... I chose 5n, medium brown. I figure it's petty close.

Now that I'm having a baby, I want to look a bit more put together- and like I am the mom of my kid, because for sure she is going to have dark brown hair... Both her Dad and I have dark hair and green eyes, and I'm pretty sure she will as well! :) I don't want her wondering about my hair, and I won't have the time to henna once she comes. (I just realized I keep saying she, when I have no idea what the sex of the baby is yet... hmmm). Maybe I know something without really knowing???:eyebrows:

So, has anyone had any experience with this brand? Or have experience covering up henna? What worked for you???:confused: Any idea how long I should wait, or if indeed this product is safe for pregnant women? I also don't want my hair turning green...

Breaca
October 24th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Hi, good luck with it! I am fed up with henna too, it never seems to work out for me - don't get me wrong the condition and strength of hair is improved but the colour is never right :(

I am interested to see what dye you've chosen as I'm considering using the colourB4 to get the majority of henna out, then using a less damaging dye to put me back to my (almost) natural shade.

I can't help you on the safety of the dye if you're pregnant, but perhaps you could contact the manafacturers?

Rosetta
October 24th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't count on any chemical hair dye being safe for pregnant women, to be honest.

Also, I have to say I never even thought about having to have the same hair colour as my children - my elder DD has dark brown hair, I'm naturally dark blonde, and was hennaing for years... So in any case I wouldn't have the same hair colour, nor do many other people. And I never imagined that hennaing would make someone think I'm not her mother...
Of course, you absolutely have the right to choose what hair colour you want, but I just mean that I really don't think one "has" to have the same hair colour as their kids :wink:

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't count on any chemical hair dye being safe for pregnant women, to be honest.

Also, I have to say I never even thought about having to have the same hair colour as my children - my elder DD has dark brown hair, I'm naturally dark blonde, and was hennaing for years... So in any case I wouldn't have the same hair colour, nor do many other people. And I never imagined that hennaing would make someone think I'm not her mother...
Of course, you absolutely have the right to choose what hair colour you want, but I just mean that I really don't think one "has" to have the same hair colour as their kids :wink:

I get what you mean, but for me I just want to have my natural colour hair back... and that's just one of the reasons why!

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Hi, good luck with it! I am fed up with henna too, it never seems to work out for me - don't get me wrong the condition and strength of hair is improved but the colour is never right :(

I am interested to see what dye you've chosen as I'm considering using the colourB4 to get the majority of henna out, then using a less damaging dye to put me back to my (almost) natural shade.

I can't help you on the safety of the dye if you're pregnant, but perhaps you could contact the manafacturers?

Sadly, the contact the company button is not working for me- so I can't get there email address! It's driving me nuts!

Rosetta
October 24th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I get what you mean, but for me I just want to have my natural colour hair back... and that's just one of the reasons why!
I understand :)

You asked about covering henna - this is probably not what you want to hear, but I've never managed to cover it completely with anything... Most recently, when I was last time growing out my natural colour (and later changed my mind :wink:), I tried quite a strong permanent dye (L'Oreal Preference - yes, I know...) over just the hennaed ends & lengths, twice, and it didn't do a thing! But hope you have more luck with this organic dye. Maybe, before you use it, you could try honey lightening, to fade some of the henna? (Wish I had thought of that at the time...)

pepperminttea
October 24th, 2011, 11:56 AM
If you're trying to get back to your natural colour rather than create a new colour, would a dye remover be of any help, like Colour B4 or ColorOops? :) Jojo managed to remove henna with several applications of Colour B4, she has an album here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8332).

I'm afraid I have no idea if these are pregnancy-friendly though, sorry.

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Will definitely try the honey lightening... I don't think Color Opps would be safe for me though.

Darkhorse1
October 24th, 2011, 12:09 PM
When it comes to coloring, I always leave it to a professional. I'm not a chemist or knowledgeable (or brave!) enough to fiddle with my color.

I can't tell you if coloring your hair is safe while pregnant, but the amount of time your hair dye is on hair (20 mins?) and not really going to saturate into your skin/scalp that fast, I would assume it's ok, but perhaps call your doctor??

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 12:32 PM
When it comes to coloring, I always leave it to a professional. I'm not a chemist or knowledgeable (or brave!) enough to fiddle with my color.

I can't tell you if coloring your hair is safe while pregnant, but the amount of time your hair dye is on hair (20 mins?) and not really going to saturate into your skin/scalp that fast, I would assume it's ok, but perhaps call your doctor??

Found a site that said it was indeed "baby friendly" because of the lack of chemicals in it.

kellinaturalmom
October 24th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Amber Maiden, I have decided to grow out my henna too. I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for you because I have tried both natural ways and covering with chemical dye and neither worked.

When I used chemical dye to cover my henna I used med ash brown to get rid of the red. It worked for maybe a month and then the red started showing through. When some guy called me a redhead I knew it had faded completely!

I have tried honey lightening with zero results. I am planning on trying it again though just to be sure. I read that washing with baking soda mixed with shampoo would fade henna but that didn't work either. I also read vit c powder mixed with shampoo works even better but haven't tried that yet.

If I were you I would definitely try fading the henna before trying to cover it. And I wouldn't use color oops if pregnant. I'm very interested in what will happen with the organic color, be sure to keep us updated!

PS One of the major reasons I am not hennaing any more is because I have three little ones and I see their beautiful little dark blonde heads and want my natural color back! There is nothing wrong with wanting to look like your children!:)

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Amber Maiden, I have decided to grow out my henna too. I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for you because I have tried both natural ways and covering with chemical dye and neither worked.

When I used chemical dye to cover my henna I used med ash brown to get rid of the red. It worked for maybe a month and then the red started showing through. When some guy called me a redhead I knew it had faded completely!

I have tried honey lightening with zero results. I am planning on trying it again though just to be sure. I read that washing with baking soda mixed with shampoo would fade henna but that didn't work either. I also read vit c powder mixed with shampoo works even better but haven't tried that yet.

If I were you I would definitely try fading the henna before trying to cover it. And I wouldn't use color oops if pregnant. I'm very interested in what will happen with the organic color, be sure to keep us updated!

PS One of the major reasons I am not hennaing any more is because I have three little ones and I see their beautiful little dark blonde heads and want my natural color back! There is nothing wrong with wanting to look like your children!:)

Thank you kellinaturalmom for getting what I'm talking about! (Especially with wanting to have your natural hair back because of your kids)

I'm definitely not going to use anything with even a hint of toxic chemicals in it to fade the colour. I did hear that plain yogurt helps to fade it, have you heard of that?

Before when I dyed my henna over, it didn't work... But I'm hoping that perhaps it will work this time... Fingers crossed. I'm paying as much a salon colouring to dye my own hair, at home, organically. I'm hoping I didn't just get ripped off. :rolleyes:

ktani
October 24th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Sadly, the contact the company button is not working for me- so I can't get there email address! It's driving me nuts!

Here is their email, info@palettebynature.com

and tel # 1-206-339-1759 (they prefer email)

FAX 1-206-339-1759

ETA: contact page http://palettebynature.com/v/contact.asp

Reviews http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=135756/Palette_by_Nature/0/Hair_Color

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Here is their email, info@palettebynature.com

and tel # 1-206-339-1759 (they prefer email)

FAX 1-206-339-1759

ETA: contact page http://palettebynature.com/v/contact.asp

Reviews http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=135756/Palette_by_Nature/0/Hair_Color

Thank you ktani, you're a life saver! :D

ktani
October 24th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Thank you ktani, you're a life saver! :D

You are very welcome. Good luck!

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Got an email back!

Basically they say that it's non-toxic. But with any medical condition check with your doctor. Only thing is, I don't have a DR, and I don't see my OBGYN until the 11th of Nov. I guess I could wait until then... My hair isn't going anywhere... But I also don't think there is anything harmful in the product.

Maybe someone can shed some perspective, or has some insight on these ingredients in it?

There are no:
Para-Phenylenediamine (PPD) Dyes
Artificial Colorants or Synthetic Dyes
Petroleum Based Ingredients
Ethanolamine or Other Amines
Lead Acetate
Ammonia
Peroxide (Bleach)
Resorcinol
Parabens
Sulfates
Phthalates
Dioxanes
EDTA
PVC
GMO
Nano
Encapsulates
Animal Testing
Wheat and Gluten

What it does contain:
Aqua (Purified Water), Decyl Glucoside, Coco Glucoside, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Fruit Water,
Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba (Guar) Gum, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Lauryl Glucoside, Vegetable Glycerin, Hen-
na (CI 75480), Panax Ginseng Root Extract*, Lippia Citriodora( Lemon Verbena) Flower Extract*, Xanthan
Gum, Anthemis Nobilis (Roman Chamomile) Flower Extract*, Curcumin* (CI 75300), Natural Indigo (CI
73000) from Indigofera Tinctoria, Annatto* (CI 75120), Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Powder* (CI 75840), Car-
um Petroselinum (Parsley) Extract*, Aspalathus Linearis(Roibos)Leaf Extract*, Quercetin, Urtica Dioica
(Nettle) Extract*, Melissa Officinalis (Lemon Balm) Leaf Extract*, Calendula Officinalis(Calendula) Flower Ex-
tract*, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract*, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail)Extract*, Camellia Sinensis
(Green Tea) Leaf Extract*, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Extract*, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Leaf Extract*, Lonicera
Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract*, Rosa Canina (Rosehips) Fruit Extract*, Xanthophyll (from Carote-
noids), Rubia Cordifolia Root Extract, Haematoxylon Campechianum Wood Extract (CI 75291), Rhus Glabra
(Sumac) Bark/Berry/Root Extract* (CI 75620), Crataegus Monogina (Hawthorne) Fruit Extract* (CI 75695),
Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex (CI 75810), Luteolin (CI 75590) from Reseda Luteola, Caesalpinia Echinata Ex-
tract, Zinc Lactate, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Citrate, Magnesium Citrate, Anthocyanins, Vitis Vinifera (Grape)
Fruit Powder**, Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Quercus Alba (White Oak) Bark Extract*, Cuminum Cyminum (Cumin)
Seed Extract*, Sodium Gluconate (from corn), Alkanna Tinctoria (Alkanet) Root Extract*, Emblica Officinalis
(Amlaki ) Fruit Extract*, Hibiscus Abelmoschus (Hibiscus) Flower Extract*, Lactic Acid (natural, Kosher), Citric
Acid, Prunus Amygdalus Amara (Bitter Almond) Kernel Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil*,
Essential Oils*

* Organic
** Wild Harvested

ktani
October 24th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Used alone in quantity some of the herbs may be contraindicated during pregnancy, mostly for internal use or they could cause skin irritation.

The amounts in there are likely to be small individually. I would run it by your doctor now that you have a full ingredient list and before trying it, patch test it.

If you have the time, you can choose an individual ingredient and search for example ginseng healthline to give you http://www.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/ginseng.

ETA: Page 3. Keep in mind though the amount of ginseng in the product.

ktani
October 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Other than the dyes, the Elumen ingredients are not too bad and you can check them out with your doctor (OBGYN) too, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5594&highlight=elumen&page=9

http://www.goldwell-northamerica.com/site/images/pdfs/products/Elumen_Sales%20Brochure.pdf

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Used alone in quantity some of the herbs may be contraindicated during pregnancy, mostly for internal use or they could cause skin irritation.

The amounts in there are likely to be small individually. I would run it by your doctor now that you have a full ingredient list and before trying it, patch test it.

If you have the time, you can choose an individual ingredient and search for example ginseng healthline to give you http://www.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/ginseng.

ETA: Page 3. Keep in mind though the amount of ginseng in the product.

I think they are talking about gingseng used internally, not externally.

Amber_Maiden
October 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Other than the dyes, the Elumen ingredients are not too bad and you can check them out with your doctor (OBGYN) too, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5594&highlight=elumen&page=9

http://www.goldwell-northamerica.com/site/images/pdfs/products/Elumen_Sales%20Brochure.pdf

Thanks for the info!

ktani
October 24th, 2011, 07:40 PM
This may help, http://www.otispregnancy.org/files/hairtreatments.pdf

http://www.otispregnancy.org/otis-fact-sheets-s13037#2

http://www.otispregnancy.org/faqs-about-otis-s13032

There are other links on hair dyes and pregnancy like this one, http://www.americanpregnancy.org/isitsafe/hairtreatments.html

but it annoyed me that they could not get the name right.

It is not American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)

It is American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG).

And their website is not the most user friendly. http://www.acog.org/

ktani
October 24th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I think they are talking about gingseng used internally, not externally.

Skin absorption and herbs is an issue too but I agree. With many herbs and toxicity it is about frequency and above all amount, and skin condition (broken skin, abraded skin, psoriasis, etc.)

ETA: Elumen MSDS and fact sheets - both on on the right in red under the picture
http://www.goldwell-northamerica.com/site/products/color/elumen/

kiwigrower
October 29th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I'm in the same boat (not pregnant, just want my natural colour back). I've tried the baking soda, the yoghurt (first time, shortly after henna it pulled out a little, second time, nothing), mineral oil, coconut oil, honey, cinnamon...nothing budges the stuff for me. Yoghurt was the best, natural, full fat, strained through cheese cloth for two hours to thicken it up, left on for nearly two hours I think.

What do we need to do to be able to access jojos album? I'd love to see how she did with the henna removal.

Amber_Maiden
October 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Definitely going to start the "yogurt process" at some point this week before I try to dye my hair. I'll let everyone know what happens!

McFearless
October 30th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I would avoid hairdye while pregnant. You'll look like her mother no matter what. Hair colour doesn't determine that. :)

Amber_Maiden
October 30th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I would avoid hairdye while pregnant. You'll look like her mother no matter what. Hair colour doesn't determine that. :)

It's not really hair dye. It's made out of plants.

jojo
October 31st, 2011, 12:44 PM
Id be wary of using a chemical dye whilst pregnant to be honest. I did remove most but not all of my hendigo from my hair with colour B4, however be careful although the product i used did work really well, for some reason it made my hair more sensitive (don't know if thats the right word!) to the sun. My own fault, I kept me hair bunned and should have worn a hat, due to lots of swimming the top half of my head turned a brassy blonde and the bits of the bun exposed to the sun a horrible green, i guess some indigo was still lerking!

I recently used a Loreal castings semi in chocolate colour, which covered this multi coloured mess up great and my hair felt really good. I am back to using twice yearly henna glosses for slight colour and to help keep my hair relatively healthy!

I am rambling! id wait if I was you until you have had the baby and then re-evaluate!

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Id be wary of using a chemical dye whilst pregnant to be honest. I did remove most but not all of my hendigo from my hair with colour B4, however be careful although the product i used did work really well, for some reason it made my hair more sensitive (don't know if thats the right word!) to the sun. My own fault, I kept me hair bunned and should have worn a hat, due to lots of swimming the top half of my head turned a brassy blonde and the bits of the bun exposed to the sun a horrible green, i guess some indigo was still lerking!

I recently used a Loreal castings semi in chocolate colour, which covered this multi coloured mess up great and my hair felt really good. I am back to using twice yearly henna glosses for slight colour and to help keep my hair relatively healthy!

I am rambling! id wait if I was you until you have had the baby and then re-evaluate!

I agree, I think using chemical hair dye would be a bad idea. I'm not going to use a chemical hair dye though, which is why I'm using the one listed above, and why I'm not using any colour B4 or Colour Fix to get rid of the henna. I'm just going to use plant dye and yogurt.

McFearless
November 1st, 2011, 02:01 PM
It's not really hair dye. It's made out of plants.
Oh okay. hairdye has left me so jaded lol. Good luck and post pics!

Amber_Maiden
November 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
Oh okay. hairdye has left me so jaded lol. Good luck and post pics!

haha. All good. It's done the same with me. I'll never go back to the old stuff, and would never use the old stuff while pregnant *shivers*... All those chemicals. ugh