PDA

View Full Version : hair fork ouch

redmj
October 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right board or not but I have a problem. Can a blunt ended hair fork pull or break your hair. I just bought one and the ends aren't split but it feels like it is catching my hair and pulling it. I don't want to use it if it is but I'm loving how well it holds up my hair.

heidi w.
October 24th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right board or not but I have a problem. Can a blunt ended hair fork pull or break your hair. I just bought one and the ends aren't split but it feels like it is catching my hair and pulling it. I don't want to use it if it is but I'm loving how well it holds up my hair.

If you take the time to inspect the ends of the wood fork yourself, you can often determine if there's a hidge with the wood catching hairs.

However, you could consider sanding with a fine grade of sandpaper choice to smooth the wood, and then apply and allow to dry clear nail polish to form a kind of seal, and it might help.

I have been taken in by pretty hair ornaments, only to discover they rather abuse my hair.

heidi w.

bna_rapunzel
October 24th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Personally, I only use toys with a point on them so they slide throughh my hair without ripping any on the way through. The point is dulled and filed down, or rounded tips are fine, but I never use anything blunt.
I had to put my hair up a couple weeks ago with a blunt chopstick and could hear tearing as I was trying to get it through (I had no choice, it was the only thing around)
maybe you could file it a little if its too bad :) there's always ways to get around these types of things :)

redmj
October 24th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I was afraid that is what I was hearing. I am going to have to sand it down to a point. I have no problem doint that, I actually prefer the feel of a point, I just wanted to know.

kittensoupnrice
October 24th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Try the panty hose trick. Run some pantyhose along the tips to see if they catch on anything. If so, sand and polish like the others mentioned.
I also run into issues with forks if I do my bun too tightly. The more tines, the looser the bun needs to be to give the fork prongs room to glide through the hair.