PDA

View Full Version : I love steaming warm showers - how much does it really damage my hair?

Emme76
October 24th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Hey Everyone,
I am one of those people who really love super warm, steaming showers. I turn up the heat so it gets foggy, and my skin can sometimes turn a bit red...!! :o (well, not super red, but a bit - sometimes). I can NOT shower in luke warm water. I can NOT use cold water when I am in the shower cause then I will freeze all day long. I am a big whimp...:rolleyes:!!!!

Now to my problem. I wash my hair (every 2-3 days) in this warm water - but I use the sink for the final rins (cold). Should this warm water not be used my hair - at all? Do I fry it every time? Should I wear a cap and then wash it in the sink all together - using cold or luke warm water?

I been thinking about this for a while - and even if I do the final rins in cold, it might not be good for steaming warm water to even touch my hair. Thoughts??? :)
THANK YOU ALL

spidermom
October 24th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Hot water isn't very good for your hair. I wash mine in water that's probably a little warmer than lukewarm, then keep it out of the way for the rest of my shower (I like it on the hot side, too). I have one of those hand-held shower thingies to use for my hair's final coolish rinse.

Baby
October 24th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I would like to know about that to, thank you for posting, I will follow this thread.

Chromis
October 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I use hot water to wash my hair. I have tried turning it to lukewarm, but my version lukewarm is still scalding to my husband. I've tried doing cool rinses, but I really, really hate being cold and I especially don't like cold water on my head! I turn it just a tiny bit cooler on days I wash my hair and use a shower cap on days I don't.

I will say that my skin likes cooler water better, doesn't itch or...er come off as much? Not sure how to phrase that. I still get my enjoyment out of a nice hot shower than annoyance afterwards.

Madora
October 24th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I use moderately warm water, just a little below hot, and rinse with water as cold as I can stand it to close the cuticles.

knoxkatie
October 24th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I am with you on the blazing hot showers! I think rinsing my hair in hot water was what was making my hair porous for a long time. Now, I never put hot water on my hair. I still take steaming hot showers but I turn the temperature down to cool or lukewarm when I'm rinsing my hair. Maybe you could try something like that?

CurlyMopTop
October 24th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I love my hot showers! Especially since it's getting cooler here. I try to tone it down(if I remember) a little on wash days though, and always follow with a blast of cold water on those days. :)

archel
October 24th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I have arthritis and fibromyalgia, so the hot therapeutic shower is going to trump pretty hair every single time. :)

Oksana
October 24th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I love a hot shower and especially since winter is on its way. I can't even bring myself to do a cold rinse..it would make me cold all day :o :D

nobeltonya
October 24th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I also like relatively hot showers, especially now that it's getting colder outside [and my husband likes to sleep with it 60 degrees inside.. heh]. Because I oil every to every other day, also, I find it easier to wash with hot-ish water. I rinse with the warm-ish water that is left after my 15-18 minute shower, and haven't had any problems.. I didn't notice a significant difference either way when I tried to do cold-ish rinses. *shrugs*

Emme76
October 24th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I am not alone :)!!!! I guess most hate cold or lukewarm water. The thing is that I have fine, thin hair and it can get porous very easily. Thinking that my streaming warm showers might damage it, making it more porous. I think I might try to shower with a showercap and wash my hair over the sink. Just to see if it will make a difference. But I probably have to do it for several months to see a difference. Anyone done it, and noticed a change..?

BlazingHeart
October 24th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I've never noticed damage in my hair, and I always shower moderately hot. But then, my hair is pretty indestructible, so I am not certain how useful it is for me to say that.

MasCat
October 24th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I like my bath and my shower hot. I'm the "cold hands" type, so I'll always have an extra layer of clothes ready in the backpack.

I try not to use hot water on my head, and I do the final rinse in cool water. I notice my hair is a lot shinier when rinsed with cold water. It is also shinier when I use an old bed sheet instead of a towel to dry it out :)

LVue86
October 24th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I use hot water too. Every now and then after I condition I run cool water through my hair but I rarely do this. Is it really that damaging to your hair?

racrane
October 24th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I love hot water too. I turn the knob down to colder when I have to rinse my hair but when I'm just relaxing, I let it run hot but make sure my hair isn't getting the full blast. It's a happy compromise.

HairFaerie
October 24th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I would have to say on a scale of things that damage your hair, this is probably very low on the list. I can't say it does NO damage but I can imagine it is quite minimal.

This is one of those things I will not sacrifice! I LOVE hot showers and can't stand cool water on my head (especially in the winter). I can tolerate it a little cooler in the summer.

So, I just don't worry about it and enjoy my showers! :)

Juneii
October 24th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I don't see that much of a difference between using hot or cold water on my hair. So I just go with steaming hot showers. mmm <3

Annibelle
October 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I love having bright pink skin when I get out of the shower. ;) But, since I joined LHC, I've been using cooler water for my hair. I started out with ice cold, transitioned to cool, and now I'm using lukewarm. My hair doesn't seem to notice a difference. :shrug: With winter coming, though, I know I won't have the willpower to use cold water on my hair. :)

ange1ito
October 24th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I have been trying to avoid the hot water showers...I'm afraid I can't cope with the cooler settings in the UK this time of year.

Libbylou
October 24th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I used to take my showers and wash my hair in hot water, so steamy the smoke alarms would sound when the bathroom door was opened. I have turned it to luke warm and my skin likes it better. I'm not sure about my hair.

pixiedust
October 24th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Personally, when I take hot showers like that frequently, I notice more shedding/hair thinning. :l

ArienEllariel
October 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I use hot water because I have sinus issues and if I don't get my head warmed up I get sinus infections much more often. Plus it feels AMAZING. :p If it hurts my hair, oh well. I prefer better overall health over possible hair damage.

bluesnowflake
October 24th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I read somewhere that if the temperature isn't hurting your skin, it's not hurting your hair. That's usually my guideline. I shower pretty hot but I finish with a really cold rinse, and I think it really helps make my hair shiny. I arch my back so it doesn't make me cold (: I haven't noticed any ill effects based on the temp of the rest of the shower.

RedBlue
October 24th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I color my hair red, so I have to use cold to lukewarm water. I use hot water now, since the red is already faded. Right before I leave the shower, I rinse my hair with cold water.

AnnaJamila
October 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM
My water heater is back on so I think I may indulge in one of these in a mo' . . . I just pile all of my hair on top of my head (I prefer a prewash and a tub) and soak away.

But I value bath time more than hair. Sorry LHC! ;)

Kristin
October 24th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I'm with bluesnowflake: If I get in the shower and the water feels hot enough to sting/burn/otherwise damage my skin, I imagine what it will do to my hair and turn the temperature down a bit. I often turn the temp. up a little after washing while I wash my body. Then rinse with cool water.

xoxophelia
October 24th, 2011, 07:28 PM
If you are washing with hot water I do think it is a significant form of damage. Hair color rinses out better with hot water because the cuticle opens up from the heat and the higher the temperature, the more easily protein loss can occur. I think a better analogy is how you would care for your clothing and not skin (since skin replenishes itself). If you wanted a garment to last for 4+ years you wouldn't wash it in hot water and throw it in the dryer. You would wash with cool water most of the time and hang dry.

There is nothing wrong with deciding to wash your hair in hot water but yes, it is likely to cause some damage.

I personally wash in slightly warm water when my head is under the shower and turn up the temp when my hair is out of the way. It seems like a decent compromise for me.

KwaveT
October 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I personally wash with slightly cool water and finish the shower with a ice cold blast of water to close the cuticle.

Emme76
October 26th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Yes, I guess a good compromise must be in order. I will NEVER stop my steaming hot showers ;) - but I will try to keep my hair out of the way and see if I notice a difference. I always use really hot water - so I guess it is not that good for my thin fragile hair. I will use lukewarm/cold water for a while.
But..... beeing in Sweden and the cold during winter - I will always enjoy my streaming showers :cheese:!!!!!

Browniegirl
October 28th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I wont sacrifice my hot hot showers either :) I really dont notice a difference,except that...well,when I work out or play soccer my hair gets really sweaty,basically salty.Then,to get It clean,only hot water really works.And It feels sooo good!

Mairéad
October 28th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I like lukewarm showers. My skin and my hair do not tolerate hot water. Though, when I'm done washing my face and get my hair out of the way I'll turn the temp up a little and let my back get nice and warm.

LadyKate
October 28th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I live in southern California, so, in the summer when it's hot, I take cool to cold showers, and when the weather's cooler, I shower pretty hot. I haven't noticed any difference at all in terms of my hair's health and quality, and my hair's relatively fine.

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I love my showers very warm.......not boiling hot but certainly warm enough to fog up the bathroom mirror everytime I take a shower. I won't stand for a freezing cold shower.............healthy hair be damned! The rest of my body and comfort take first priority.

And if anything, I think my hair actually agrees with warm water. I CO as my regular haircare routine, and the heat actually makes the conditioner penetrate into my hair further, I can feel how the heat + the conditioner softens my hair.

Reptilia
October 28th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I usually wash my hair in just warm water, then I clip it up out of the water and THEN turn the heat up! I figure steam can't do much...

Arashi
October 28th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Whenever I let the water touch my hair, I turn it down to lukewarm(I like hot showers too).. I find my hair feels much nicer when I do this.

This reminds me of the week, thank goodness during summer, that the gas was shut off in my house... only very cold water was used to wash my hair that week, and it felt and looked great(but not enough to ever want to do that again!)

teela1978
October 29th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I've tried cooler washing on occasion but it never lasts long so I have no idea if my hair would be better off that way. It seems just fine with bearably hot water.

Snippety
October 29th, 2011, 06:04 AM
I like very hot showers and baths but wash my hair separately over the bath with the shower hose. I use lukewarm water. I used to do a very cold final rinse until we moved into our chilly Victorian terrace. Now keep them for summer only. Brrrrrrr !

Tuna
October 29th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Same here... been doing it for years and my hair seems just fine. But at the end of a shower I alway make rinse with cold water through my hair. Just so it closes the pores on my head and smoothes hair surface.