PDA

View Full Version : Hairspray - just how bad is it?

joflakes
October 24th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Hi all

I was just pondering how bad hairspray actually is for hair and realised I know nothing about it!
Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!
Jo

aggie_deirde
October 24th, 2011, 06:42 AM
For me is like the devil!I once had my hair curled(big mistake) with tons of hairspray and I slept with it.I spent the next day 3 hour to detangle my hair!

Madora
October 24th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Well, the stuff in it isn't the greatest. Your hair deserves better.

If you use it regularly, you'll have buildup, not only from the hairspray itself but from stuff in the air sticking to the hairspray.

Your hair is better off without it.

MonaLisa
October 24th, 2011, 06:48 AM
It's bad.

Maybe you can use beer instead?
Once you let it evaporate ( is this the word?)..it will hold your hair how you want it and provide volume and shine...and it's not bad for hair, quite the opposite!
It also doesn't have any smell, I promise!

spidermom
October 24th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Hair spray contains alcohol, which evaporates, taking some of your hair's moisture with it.

buttercupmcgee
October 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Also, when you try to detangle it, the hair fibers are ripped apart because hairspray has glued them to one another. Check this out, it weaned me off hairspray more or less for good:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

rock007junkie
October 24th, 2011, 09:21 AM
They are bad if you are using sprays with alcohol like Spidermom said. If you find one without alcohol (like Ion at Sally's) I don't see the harm in it.

akurah
October 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I find aloe gel (the pure kind) gives fantastic hold without stickiness or glueing the strands together. To be fair, the hold still isn't as good as a high power hairspray, but there is a very real chance it can still meet your needs.

Anje
October 24th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Well, it's essentially alcohol and glue. Drying, and potentially damaging if you try to comb through hair that has it in. I'd save it for special occasions and suggest you wash it out before trying to comb/brush your hair at all once you're done.

Copasetic
October 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM
It's hardly the worst thing ever, but like some others have said, you might want to use it sparingly. I use it once in a while, but I also never brush my hair, and only comb it when I condition it.

heidi w.
October 24th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Well, the stuff in it isn't the greatest. Your hair deserves better.

If you use it regularly, you'll have buildup, not only from the hairspray itself but from stuff in the air sticking to the hairspray.

Your hair is better off without it.

Generally speaking, daily use is not the wisest idea. However if it's a super special occasion such as Christmas party celebration, it's not the worst either. I have a history of using some hairspray about once a year, but then I return home and wash the hair immediately.

Also, it kind of matter the type of hairspray one does choose to use. There are hold sprays and whatnot, so beware of that.

heidi w.

missmagoo
October 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I'm not going for extreme lengths, and I use hairspray a few times a month without any noticeable ill effects.
I use a flexible hold hairspray, and I don't brush my hair when it's in- I finger comb if needed. I also generally tend to use it on dirty hair, day before a wash day, so it's not hanging out in my hair for days on end.

MychelleC
October 24th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Hair spray is usually made of polymers (such as vinyl copolymer - a plasticizer closely related to vinyl) and alcohols (though not all). Is this bad for your hair? Yes and no. Yes if you use it every day and try to pull a comb through it. No if you use it once in awhile and treat your hair gently while it is in. I use hairspray to hold my curls, give a little life, and keep fly-aways down when I perform. I spray lightly and wash/condition my hair before attempting to detangle. If used sparingly it will do no long-term damage.

ravenreed
October 24th, 2011, 11:14 AM
As great as that article by Nightshade is, that photo is a bit misleading. After reading the original article, that photo was taken after the woman used multiple applications of hairspray without washing her hair in between. Of course her hair is glued and damaged...

I find aloe vera is as damaging (or more) as hairspray. I always get split ends after using aloe vera. I have mostly given up on it as a styling aid. However, when I occasionally use hairspray, I wash my hair immediately, instead of brushing out the hairspray. I don't notice nearly as many split ends that way as I do with aloe vera. Of course, I only use hair spray a few times a year. As most things on LHC, YMMV.

Also, when you try to detangle it, the hair fibers are ripped apart because hairspray has glued them to one another. Check this out, it weaned me off hairspray more or less for good:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

heidihug
October 24th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Alcohol-free hair spray like Ion is Satan for me. I used it for a while, and it was so sticky and built up so much that it took me probably five shampoos to get rid of it - ugh. I must use hairspray on my bangs/fringe as my hair is fine, thin and turns into greasy strings without it. But I've switched to a very light-hold alcohol-based version last year and have not had any problems with damage or build-up. But, as I said, I only use it on my bangs, and I cut them regularly.

joflakes
October 25th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Thanks all. I was interested to know. I don't use it daily, just when I want to style it properly if I'm going out. Never brush or comb my hair when it is in either.

joflakes
October 25th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Would something like this be better?
http://www.allergybestbuys.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/naturalchemical-freehairspray-905011.shtml

akurah
October 25th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Would something like this be better?
http://www.allergybestbuys.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/naturalchemical-freehairspray-905011.shtml

I'd bet a nickel the starch is still going to have a glue-like effect, but I suspect it will be significantly kinder to your hair than most hairsprays.

I think the biggest thing is make sure to wash before combing or brushing your hair out if using hair spray so that the shampoo can dissolve the spray without significantly damaging your hair.

joflakes
October 25th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Roger that. I do tend to do that anyway.

On a slightly off-topic note, how bad is hair wax?!

Sweet Beat
October 25th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Wow. Didn't knew it is THAT bad... But if you detangle very, very carefully? I have a figure skating competition on Sunday, and my hair has to really be in place. I'll have a 'do, and if I don't use hairspray small baby-hairs will go in my face when I skate backwards and I find that really annoying. Was planning to use both hairspray and glitterspray :(

ravenreed
October 25th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I don't think it is that bad.

Wow. Didn't knew it is THAT bad... But if you detangle very, very carefully? I have a figure skating competition on Sunday, and my hair has to really be in place. I'll have a 'do, and if I don't use hairspray small baby-hairs will go in my face when I skate backwards and I find that really annoying. Was planning to use both hairspray and glitterspray :(

missoj
October 25th, 2011, 11:10 AM
You can make home made hairspray by boiling lemon or orange and water, pop into a spray bottle and store in the fridge. I don't have a recipe as I haven't tried it yet, but you can Google it. Surely it would be better than normal hair spray.

joflakes
October 25th, 2011, 03:12 PM
You can make home made hairspray by boiling lemon or orange and water, pop into a spray bottle and store in the fridge. I don't have a recipe as I haven't tried it yet, but you can Google it. Surely it would be better than normal hair spray.

Ooh that sounds lovely, i'll check it out!

kidari
October 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who still occasionally uses hairspray. I don't need it daily just for special occasions- it keeps my bangs and updos nice and secure or it really holds the set curls if I'm wearing it down. My hair is really soft and more on the fine side of medium and there isn't a lot of it so I find that I prefer to use hairspray and it works fine for me. The stronger the hold, the more you should avoid rough handling and brushing while it's in.

Mrs. D
October 25th, 2011, 04:17 PM
My name is Shannon and I am an Aqua Net addict. Using it almost everyday. Have tried, but can't get the monkey off my back. Wish I could keep my strays in place without aerosol hairspray, but cannot seem to find another way.
:gobblecheese:
Shannon

ktani
October 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Not all hairsprays are the devil. Not all hairsprays contain alcohol. They do build-up and contain acrylates and polymers. Some have `flexible hold` and can be brushed through.

You can buy them in varying strengths and not all of them are sticky. Technology has caught up with them too. `Helmet head` hairsprays that could hold hair together through a tornado (gross exaggeration) are things of the past.

Hairsprays today still come in different strengths from light to heavier holding.

A key point is using them is not to hold the can or bottle too close to the hair, to get a finer mist, so that the hair will not be oversaturated.