PDA

View Full Version : Anyones hair texture improve with thyroid treatment?

infinity_girl
October 24th, 2011, 04:29 AM
My thyroid tests always come out just about normal but I have all the symptoms of hypothyroid (cold hands and feet, inability to lose weight, sluggishness, brain fog etc) and both my mother and sister are on medication for hypothyroid. I am finding it even more difficult to shift the pregnancy weight since having my second child.

I am thinking of buying one of those thyroid support vitamins combos which have good reviews where allopathic medicines have failed.

Has anyone seen an improvement in the texture of their hair (dryness, brittleness, hair loss) after improving their thyroid function (either with vitamins or allopathic thyroid medication)?

Pixie0763
October 24th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I am hypothyroid after having a radioactive Iodine treatment for Grave's disease (hyperthyroid). I am not familiar with allopathic treatments. I have been on prescription thyroid replacement for over 15 years, and can say that correct dosage does make a big difference in the health of my hair.

I also take a multi-vitamin, calcium, D, biotin, MSM, fish oil, and iron supplements. I believe these help too.

I wash conditioner only, don't dye or perm my hair, and haven't used an type of heated appliance on my hair in over 3 years. I think these things made the biggest difference in the health of my hair.

Thyroid hormone issues affect everyone differently. I hope this helps?

One800mom
October 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I have a similar story. I had many symptoms of a poorly functioning thyroid (always cold, weight gain, fatigue, constipation, and hair loss - scalp, eyelashes, and eyebrows). My tests always came back in the normal range. My mom is hypothyroid.

My naturopath recommended a supplement of iodine/tyrosine to improve thyroid function. I also added GNC Ultra Nourish-Hair to my vitamin routine, and applied castor oil to my eyebrows and hairline. I am seeing significant new hair growth!

Inching Along
October 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Ladies, I have autoimmune hypothyroidism and have lost lots of hair over the past five years or so. I am now in the process of trying to deal with the autoimmune aspect of my health issues. It will be a process.

Many people aren't diagnosed with thyroid issues even when they clearly have symptoms. May I recommend a book for you to read? I checked mine out of the library. It's Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism (http://www.amazon.com/Still-Thyroid-Symptoms-Tests-Normal/dp/1600376703/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319473542&sr=8-1) by Datis Kharrazian. It has been very helpful for me and may help you, too. There's a website (http://www.thyroidbook.com/), too. There is another site that can be a big help: Stop the Thyroid Madness (http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/).

I truly hope you are able to find some help for your thyroid symptoms. I've found that naturopaths are more willing to be open to digging deeper into health issues. I'm thankful I found mine, but I may need to find someone who's more familiar with stopping my autoimmune attacks.

summergreen
October 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM
ve been hypothyroid for 16 years. Yes, the correct dose does make a big difference to dryness, brittleness and hair loss. Unfortunately, there seems to be quite a wide range of 'acceptable' levels of thyroid hormone in blood and even when you are prescribed thyroxine it can be difficult for doctors to get the dosage just right. So if youre trying for a natural boost/cure I'd definitely suggest going to a naturopath/herbalist/homeopath/whatever rather than trying to find something yourself. I see a homeopath (not just about thyroid issues) and Ive found the treatment really helpful.

BTW theres a good thread about thyroid problems in the Health and Beauty section (sorry dont know how to do link!)

Inching Along
October 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I have a similar story. I had many symptoms of a poorly functioning thyroid (always cold, weight gain, fatigue, constipation, and hair loss - scalp, eyelashes, and eyebrows). My tests always came back in the normal range. My mom is hypothyroid.

My naturopath recommended a supplement of iodine/tyrosine to improve thyroid function. I also added GNC Ultra Nourish-Hair to my vitamin routine, and applied castor oil to my eyebrows and hairline. I am seeing significant new hair growth!

It's so good to hear that you're doing much better and having new hair growth! Hooray! :)

jojo
October 24th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I have hypothyroidism and luckily *touches wood* my hair has never been affected by it, I also lost weight (yes normally you gain; i didnt!) but was extremely tired and suffered (still do) with hypersensitivity to cold and joint pains but were all different and I guess I was fortunate not to get symptoms connected to my hair.

DreamingFlowers
January 4th, 2017, 07:16 PM
I have all the same symptoms as you... did you ever find a solution to this? I'm curious about taking iodine but am not so sure about the safety of this.

Deborah
January 5th, 2017, 04:34 PM
I am hypothyroid and have been treated for it for well over years now. My hair was not affected when I began treatment, but apparently hypothyroidism does not affect everyone's hair. I don't think it made any difference to my hair, so treating the illness had no affect on the hair either.