PDA

View Full Version : annoying growth stages

Avital88
October 24th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Hi all!!
I Think we all know the annoying stage of growing out hair and then in particular that part to grow it over your shoulders,it feels like it is taking forever right?
Well i now noticed after not experiencing any of this during my hairjourney that its back! But now in the form of growing to tailbone length..I feel like i will never get there:mad:
its like its getting thinner everyday,my ends are so destroyed and im urging to trim, but i already had 2 trims this summer and if i'm gonna trim again,i can put my goal in the fridge until spring.and i already lost so much health and thickness this summer from coloring,but i quit that now.
What would you do? just pamper it and leave it until 2012 and see what progress you get(solid tailbone) or just cut it off now and stay at hip (then for 1 year omg)?

Maverick494
October 24th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I think I would put it up and not look at it again till 2012 and take it from there. If you're not happy with the ends by then, go for a trim but atleast by then you won't feel like you haven't made any progress.

It's not weird to be at one milestone for a year though. I was a year at MBL before my hemline was finally even and thick enough for me to consider growing it further.

MonaLisa
October 24th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Honestly...:P
I see nothing wrong with your hair.
Perhaps stop being such a perfectionist :D

Whatever you do, it's definitely gonna get better at spring!
And i love how your hair looks, and i think maybe smartest thing to do is...follow the original plan.. so trim only when u planned to, before the current 'frustrations' came up.
As I understood, you want to grow to classic? then TBL is just a stop /milestone...Maybe you could maintain a bit there...its a beautiful length!

I have similar feelings though...
The shedding and tangles starting this autumn, together with damage from summer...and despite 2 trims also, make me want to cut it off...WL or so...
But then when DBF/some friends comment on it...or i see some random pictures, i realise it still looks good...but im thinking - not for long...if this shed/tangles rate continues..

oktobergoud
October 24th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I'm growing out a pixie.. my hair has been in an awkward stage ever since! That's 7 months for now and probably will be for another 6 months. I do intend to grow it out in 'style' and want a long bob, so no shaggy haircuts and mullets for me ;) Otherwise it would be unbearable :(

Also, honestly? I can't understand why people with hair SOOOO LONG, still find their hair at an awkward stage? :s Awkward to me are mullets, flippy ends, shaggy haircuts etc. etc. Not trying to be rude here, but when people with really really long hair complain that their hair is in a annoying growth stage, I just want to roll my eyes ;) I understand that you want to get there as soon as possible and that you're impatient and everything, but your hair really isn't TRULY in an annoying growth stage, right? It's just not the length you want it to be?

Avital88
October 24th, 2011, 04:05 AM
haha omg..you girls are too funny..maybe i am a perfectionist when it comes to my hair, but it really feels akward to me.. if your ends are like 6 times as thin as the rest and used to grow really quick from goal to goal then it starts to feel like forever to get to the goal you really want to be at.. maybe i should just let it go and only shampoo and co and light oil..
and remember i live in a country where long thick hair is the norm so i think you get highmaintenance from that :S

Maverick494
October 24th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I didn't know long hair was the norm in Israel. Guess I'll fit right in when I go there next summer haha :D

But really, try to decide for yourself what you find more important: length or hemline. If you're leaning towards length, protect it and let it grow till 2012 before you start maintenance on the hemline. If you're leaning towards hemline, go for a trim first.

Avital88
October 24th, 2011, 04:20 AM
you will fit in perfectly maverick494.. enjoy the holy land and thanks for your advice:-)

joflakes
October 24th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I'm growing out a pixie.. my hair has been in an awkward stage ever since! That's 7 months for now and probably will be for another 6 months. I do intend to grow it out in 'style' and want a long bob, so no shaggy haircuts and mullets for me ;) Otherwise it would be unbearable :(

Also, honestly? I can't understand why people with hair SOOOO LONG, still find their hair at an awkward stage? :s Awkward to me are mullets, flippy ends, shaggy haircuts etc. etc. Not trying to be rude here, but when people with really really long hair complain that their hair is in a annoying growth stage, I just want to roll my eyes ;) I understand that you want to get there as soon as possible and that you're impatient and everything, but your hair really isn't TRULY in an annoying growth stage, right? It's just not the length you want it to be?

I'm with oktobergoud!

Maverick494
October 24th, 2011, 04:57 AM
you will fit in perfectly maverick494.. enjoy the holy land and thanks for your advice:-)

Thanks so much :) I hope my advice is useful. It's always hard to pick between length and hemline. I've struggled with it myself, especially at that stage where it seemed like I was never going to get past a milestone.

Avital88
October 24th, 2011, 05:16 AM
yes i guess i will choose length over hemline for this winter at least :)

Aveyronnaise
October 24th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I don't know sometimes I feel like my hair grows soooooooooo slowly and will never,ever get there. I think it's the winter blues. I think I am going to just keep it up 90% of the time and forget about it.

/ It's so gross and gray here today booo!

knoxkatie
October 24th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Avital your hair is GORGEOUS. If I were you I'd wait it out and keep it in braids or whatever until the new year and then trim. If it's really bugging you though maybe just do a tiny self-trim to make your ends feel better. I find that even just 1/4" helps when I get the urge to trim.

bunzfan
October 24th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I agree your hair always looks beautiful, just put it up and forget about it and before you know it your be at the next milestone;)

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 11:52 AM
My layers are at annoying stage... In the front they are so short they keep falling out of my ponytail! AGH! I hate hair in my face :(!

ladonna
October 31st, 2011, 12:06 PM
Don't cut it, you might end up regretting it. I chopped mine to shoulder length (from almost waist length) and now wish I had just baby'd it. Fortunately my hair grows fast and I'm now at APL (3 month's after chopping) and I am feeling more at peace with my hair. When you have long hair and chop it, it gives you a feeling of being naked.

Dark40
October 31st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I know the feeling of annoying growth stages. My hair is APL, and right now that to me is an awkward stage. Avital, your hair length is gorgeous! I really wish that mine was as long as yours almost to my hips but I have a longggg way to go before I get there. So, no don't cut it you will regret it.

marioma
November 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
yea , the top layer of my hair is above shoulders because of an awful salon cut , it make my hair so puffy and i can't wait to grow it up

dulce
November 1st, 2011, 01:54 PM
I think your hair is beautiful,it doesn't look thin in pics at all.But if it bothers you ,you can always re-evaluate how long you want to go.My original plan was for hip,am now planning to keep around waist as my ends seem too thin to me but may change my mind once all my layers are at waist.Will wait and see how it goes.That's the great thing about hair ,it's negotiable!

Cesania
November 1st, 2011, 07:44 PM
I got a slight mullet I tie back. It makes the worlds smallest ponytail :P. And it's just a bit past shoulder.

honeydippedxo
November 2nd, 2011, 11:51 PM
I hate my hair length.
Your hair is gorgeous and long quit complaining.
heee jk im just being jealousss! In a good way not in a hater way. ;)

No matter how long your hair gets you aren't truly happy until you reach your ultimate goal.
It sucks waiting for hair to grow. I vote for you to keep your hair up and forget about it for a while. That's what I'm doing and I'm not even at SL yet, it's helping me quite nicely.

Now I'm thinking of tyra banks on americas next top model making the girls chop off their hair and watching them cry and she's like "hair grows back." Yeah but it takes years...
and OMFG I think this is my 25th post. Yay! C:

I better go to sleep before I stay up all night looking at everyone's pictures.

laura85
November 3rd, 2011, 12:37 AM
Your hair looks beautiful!
I agree with Aveyronnaise, I think its the winter blues!

busnutmedic
November 3rd, 2011, 01:22 AM
If it bothers you, cut it. Period :)

I used to be just length-goal oriented and gave not a thought to how I felt about my hair in the moment, except to quickly put it up every day and never look at it down, and NEVER wear it out down. I felt so embarrassed once when I went to the store with it down. That is so -- wrong!

Hair is definitely something that is malleable. It grows, you can style it, etc. If you want to grow it out but hate it in the process, where's the fun in that?

I say if cutting a few inches makes you happier getting to your goal, DO IT! Although I'm regrowing now and am realizing just how long it takes hair to grow, I was so happy to have cut it, and I don't regret it a bit.

Rereading this I feel a little bit heretical, but remembering how awful my hair made me feel makes me want to encourage others to feel happier about it.

jacqueline101
November 6th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I have to say stop the trimmings and wear it in a braid. The type you wear in back long loose and up out of mind out of sight. As the saying goes. I'd oil and do my normal hair care just not dwell on it.

dragaica
March 5th, 2012, 09:32 AM
as anyone says - your hair is beautiful.
But I know what you mean. I stayed at bra strap level for 3 years, because of thin hair after bleach.
And now I've chopped 5 inch of thin ends,and still I have layers.
I wish it will grow faster - maybe in 6 months I'll be at waist....
And all my friends says is so nice, like yours maybe, only I see the "thin ends" :(

dwell_in_safety
March 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I know the feeling; I'm there now between APL and BSL. My length pictures from February and March show no difference whatsoever, but I know my hair has grown; it just had more wave in it it in the March picture, which ate length. SO ANNOYING because it feels like it's taking forever to get anywhere, and even though cognitively I know it's growing having pictures that show zero growth in a month is really discouraging.

becks113
March 5th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Your hair is absolutely beautiful. Just wanted to tell you.. (: & I would choose length, I think whispy ends are gorgeous in a unique way. Best of luck! c:

melusine963
March 6th, 2012, 12:41 AM
I'm slowly learning not to worry too much about my goals. I really want to achieve them soon, but I'm also constantly having to revise them as I find my routine, try new things, etc. Sometimes I seem to be making lots of progress, other times it just stalls. If I were you, I would trim as necessary and just try to be patient. Waiting is no fun, but it will make getting there all the more worthwhile. Good luck!

KwaveT
March 6th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Growing it over the shoulder is the phase that I am at. I am a good ways from getting all my hair to clear my shoulders.

KrystalPixie
April 23rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
Growing out a pixie is painful ... I don't care who you are