PDA

View Full Version : "Velcro-like" Hair

Tina
March 14th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I need to complain about my hair texture and to hear that I'm not alone.

My hair does not lie smooth. It's not straight, not exactly wavy either = Stwavy. Hard to explain, it's attracted to itself. It gets stuck together, entwined, tangled and looks stringy.

I'm going to do more cassia treatments (I have a post on that thread about this) when it comes in. I've done a couple treatments and noticed a bit of an improvement. I figure if I can coat my strands so that the cuticle lays flatter and smoother maybe it will fix the velcro-like texture.

Who else has this issue? How do you feel? What has helped or not helped?

Melisande
March 14th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I get the velcro feeling in my ends only, but when I use glucoside shampoo over a long time, my whole hair seems to stick together. I think it's a buildup. I don't know whether this would help you, but I do a SLS shampoo wash from time to time. This is enough to clean my hair thoroughly and it behaves nicely afterwards.

I'm afraid to damage my hair and avoid baking soda clarifying washes although I read that many people had good results with it.

This will help only if your hair's stickiness is a result of buildup.

If it is the result of chemical or mechanical abuse, you are probably already handling it as carefully as you can.

Kirin
March 14th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I've had my hair come to this exact texture and "clump" factor even with the gentlest handlings and good treatment. I eventually discovered that the gentle things i was using, and the moisture and oils i were adding, weren't getting completely washed away. Also, silicones tend to do that to my hair.

I use once a week V05 kiwi lime squeeze clarifying shampoo, and its all good and not clumpy/sticky together again.

Teacherbear
March 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I sounds to me like your hair is more wavy, maybe even heading toward curly. How do you let your hair dry? If you let it air dry (without brushing/combing while it is drying), then perhaps the ends are velcro-y because you need to clarify. Dry, needle-like ends are my hint that it is time to clarify. If clarying doesn't work, then S&D (snipping off split and broken ends) does wonders for improving manageability.

Hope that helps.

Tina
March 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write your suggestions.

I do let it air dry. I barely have any damaged ends, I do S&D frequently. I recently did a 1/2 inch trim. So maybe I need to clarify more often -- good point. I'll try that!

Anje
March 14th, 2008, 09:16 AM
When the word "velcro" comes up around here, "clarify then deep condition" typically follows. Your best bet is probably to either add some baking soda to your shampoo or condish, or to get a clarifying shampoo and suds it up clear to the ends. Follow with a moisture treatment like an SMT because your hair will typically be a bit dry following that.

Loops
March 14th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Hi -

I have the same kind of hair. For me avoiding too much protein in a conditioner, and also using certain silicones just on the ends have really helped. Without cones I get bed-head afro hair, and tangling is crazy + forever rough dry ends, even with COing. I like some of the new light-weight serums better than coney conditioners (although the new pantene formulation is excellent which only has bis-aminopropyl dimethicone).

Loops

Nightshade
March 14th, 2008, 11:25 AM
When the word "velcro" comes up around here, "clarify then deep condition" typically follows. Your best bet is probably to either add some baking soda to your shampoo or condish, or to get a clarifying shampoo and suds it up clear to the ends. Follow with a moisture treatment like an SMT because your hair will typically be a bit dry following that.

Seconding this. :)

Celebrian
March 26th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Something's wrong somewhere... You're all saying to clarify. But here is my story...

I've been no'cone for about two months now. The virgin hair (root to just below ears) is happy. The rest (ears down to BSL) is older and previously bleached. It is not so happy. I have these 'velcro' ends.

I originally clarified, and then went on to Lush's SLS free shampoos and 'cone-free conditioners. MY hair undoubtedly get's pretty stripped by the shampoo - as it feels, er, stripped and woody prior to the conditioner going on.

I've tried the coconut/olive oil leave-in method (applied to damp hair) but still there is a velcro quality to these ends...

I've trimmed several times in these last few weeks - and although the hair looks healthy and feels strong and fairly shiny - I still have these velcro ends...

I'm getting so fed up that I'm seriously wondering if I should go back to using 'cones for those ends, and just make sure to clarify every few shampoos!

By the way, I've also done SMT type treatments weekly.

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Something's wrong somewhere... You're all saying to clarify. But here is my story...

I've been no'cone for about two months now. The virgin hair (root to just below ears) is happy. The rest (ears down to BSL) is older and previously bleached. It is not so happy. I have these 'velcro' ends.

I originally clarified, and then went on to Lush's SLS free shampoos and 'cone-free conditioners. MY hair undoubtedly get's pretty stripped by the shampoo - as it feels, er, stripped and woody prior to the conditioner going on.

I've tried the coconut/olive oil leave-in method (applied to damp hair) but still there is a velcro quality to these ends...

I've trimmed several times in these last few weeks - and although the hair looks healthy and feels strong and fairly shiny - I still have these velcro ends...

I'm getting so fed up that I'm seriously wondering if I should go back to using 'cones for those ends, and just make sure to clarify every few shampoos!

when my hair was long and dyed i had the exact same thing, i wasnt too up on the cone/coneless thing then but i used dove conditioner in those days and my hair loved it, now im back to all virgin it prefers coneless. I agree cones may be your answer.

spidermom
March 26th, 2008, 05:01 PM
That happens to me with damage and splits. Also, baking soda matted my hair down so hard that it felt like felted wool. I literally could not get comb or fingers through it.

Lately I've been using a coney conditioner. Few tangles but such great slip that I can't get my hair to hold a braid or bun. Win a few. Lose a few.

Celebrian
March 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM
jojo, that makes sense to me. I've increasingly wondered if cones are a temporary expedient for these bleached ends.

Spidermom, you don't have old, chemically treated ends, do you? :rolleyes:
But yes, I think the philosophy of 'win a few - lose a few' is probably what counts in this scenario! :(

spidermom
March 26th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Spidermom, you don't have old, chemically treated ends, do you? :rolleyes:
But yes, I think the philosophy of 'win a few - lose a few' is probably what counts in this scenario! :(

No. I think I had sea-water and chlorine-swimming-pool damage until I had a bunch (3-4 inches) trimmed off recently. Now those ends are blunt, silky, and slithery.

Celebrian
March 26th, 2008, 05:42 PM
No. I think I had sea-water and chlorine-swimming-pool damage until I had a bunch (3-4 inches) trimmed off recently. Now those ends are blunt, silky, and slithery.

:mad: I'm in acute envy here!

Actually the ends look quite blunt, silky and slithery. They just don't feel it. Not compared to the hair higher up anyway...

Sorry Tina, I did not intend to monopolise your thread. But maybe my story has helped you as well?

seabear
March 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Silicone really helps my hair, which has perhaps a curlier texture than yours, but I have very sticky ends unless I use 'cones, and the occasional vinegar rinse.

Lamb
March 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I will be watching this thread. My problem is - well, Ontario winter. Tina, I see we live in the same city - it's been pretty icy-snowy-windy here lately (since November 2007, that is), I'll wager it has taken its toll! Wind is especially vicious. Make sure you cover your head before you go out!
I second the cone-suggestion. I am into Dove (the dark blue bottle) now, it seems to be helping, but I have to use it daily, my hair feels like straw - thin straw at that.

In my desperation, I actually went as far as to make an appointment with a hair salon today - I'm gonna cancel it tomorrow... sudden urge to cut. It is now conquered. I must fight the urge... :luke:

joyinc
March 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
me me me! you've described my hair perfectly :) i went no cones for a while and it wasn't pretty. i used to use heavy conditioners like pantene, but stopped when i realized it was tested on animals. these days i cant use a lot of conditioner or everything sticks together. so i went to just shampoo for awhile and that was great 4 a bit too, but not always. right now i am starting with a heavy conditioner and letting it sink in and then covering it with shampoo and rinsing it all off and that seems to work. also, i never get split ends, but every so often a micro trim makes a big difference :) good luck! i'm going to lurk here for more tips!

Growin' It
March 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
@ joyinc: lurking, eh?

... lurk, lurk... lurk, lurk... :whistle: :eye:

We really could do with a 'stealth lurking' emoticon.

GlassEyes
March 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Dittoed. Seriously.

My hair is fine until the dyed length, then it's frizzy. I think I'd have to chop it, but I can't bear to part with it. Ugh.

Celebrian
March 26th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Dittoed. Seriously.

My hair is fine until the dyed length, then it's frizzy. I think I'd have to chop it, but I can't bear to part with it. Ugh.

Well I don't intend chopping mine, either! Have you tried cones - or are you cone-free ATM ?

alys
March 27th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Hey Celebrian - you are a hair 'similar of mine.I have damaged ends, tho, where you mentioned you didnt. Here's a suggestion I didnt see yet -
DITCH THE COCONUT OIL. Really, I had the same problem, posted here and got the same answers as you. BUT, I too dont overload my hair with product. Also dont use cones. So clarifying really did not help my dry/velcro ends - I did try. I cut out the coconut oil, cut out the grapeseed and shea butter. Viola - no more crunchy ends. I tried Camellia oil, and fell in love.

Also, Teacherbear made a good suggestion, maybe your hair really is curly. I've had to entertain that notion myself recently. And I noticed that when using a routing/treating my hair as at least 'partially curly', it really made a fair difference in the softness/texture of my hair. I hate to dis, but I cannot stand Coconut oil for hair. Skin, sure, but my hair turns brittle, velcro and superweighed down whenever I use it.
Good luck!

Nightshade
March 27th, 2008, 12:53 PM
With damaged ends I had no luck with oils either, but Fox's Shea Butter conditioning creme did wonders for me.

- 1 part conditioner
- 1 part shea butter
- 1/2 part oil (I use cocconut oil)

I melt the shea and cocconut together, then add conditioner and stir it as it cools. Makes something about the consistancy of frosting and is heaven for my old dye-damaged ends.

missy60
March 27th, 2008, 01:28 PM

You could try a light cone first I use to use the A cone in my leave in and I didnt get any build up I would just have to clarify maybe once a month if that often. It might not work but its worth a try if your hair is like mine it hates strong shampoo used regularly.

joyinc
March 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
have you ever tried just using nothing? instead of oils or treatments and the like, just try a mild shampoo and leave it at that. i figured that all the junk i was putting on my hair was causing tangles, so went to shampoo only. it feels rough coming out of the shower, but detangles much easier and feels softer when it's dry. i don't worry about cones or no cones, i just make sure to use them every so often. dont use a harsh clarifying shampoo for this. i don't actually believe it's necessary as the gentle shampoos will break down cones just fine. i sometimes just use a shampoo with one cone, or a 2 in 1. it's worth a shot!

Kirin
March 27th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Okay now i see what you are saying.

I have the same type of hair, virgin about four inches worth which feels wonderful, then the old chemical damaged/beaten length, which is like 6-7 inches now (dont quote me on length i'm shoulder length). The length itself often feels way different, even after conditioning in the shower, the virgin (but hennad) smooth and lovely, the ends still tangly.

Without extra care, the ends to seem to velcro/stick together, and loose their body.

I cant tell you one specific thing that works, just that my routine works for me, and seemed to have gotten rid of it (though occassionally for no reason the velcro will return).

Queen helene mint julep shampoo which i add a drop of carrot oil into, and V05 Vitaburst conditioner. Clarify once a week with V05 kiwi lime shampoo. I oil my ends with carrot oil 2-3 times a week at night, leave it in all night. If my hair feels "dry" while its drying, i use AtOne with nature leave in on the ends, thats it.

Myrddin
March 31st, 2008, 01:08 PM
I need to complain about my hair texture and to hear that I'm not alone.

My hair does not lie smooth. It's not straight, not exactly wavy either = Stwavy. Hard to explain, it's attracted to itself. It gets stuck together, entwined, tangled and looks stringy.

Haha, this is so funny. I just read this thread for the very first time and your description fits totally with my hair. I was surprised that we have the same hair type.

My hair is like that because itīs porous due to combing or something. Oiling didnīt help with that, neither shampoo bars or organic hair care (though they have other good properties). Iīm trying silicones right now and am about to do more moisture treatments.