PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning with beer

Kinamon
October 23rd, 2011, 07:52 PM
Hi. Has anyone had experience shampooing their hair with beer? Here's my story: I live in a country with very hard water, which makes the no-poo recipe situation a little difficult, to say the least. On top of that, I cover my hair for my religion, which creates additional hair-care issues, and I also have textured hair. The kind that I can never put a brush through while it's dry. :(

Natural soaps (dr bronners, soap nuts, etc.) create a terrible residue, and I was having to use baking soda and strong vinegar just to get that out. I now am using a natural (expensive) shampoo without detergents, soap, etc. It works ok, but it works amazing with the beer rinse. The beer is actually allowing my hair to form curls and look great. I'm wondering if I even need the expensive shampoo, or if I can go back to the pure soap with a beer rinse.

Anyone else shampoo with beer? :)

Jean Stuart
October 23rd, 2011, 08:14 PM
I have heard of beer rinses, I will be keeping an eye on this thread. I will try anything once ;)

ktani
October 23rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
This may help, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55808

Ashenputtel
October 23rd, 2011, 10:44 PM
I'm on a French forum and a lot of people use a dilluted beer rinse with great result. It seams to dry the hair if used full strenght.

Kinamon
October 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I'm on a French forum and a lot of people use a dilluted beer rinse with great result. It seams to dry the hair if used full strenght.

I'm wondering if that's why I like it. I have really really hard water in this country, and the pure shampoos were leaving residues, unlike the nasty detergent shampoos. The beer seems to be clarifying, and seperates my curls a bit.

ktani
October 29th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I'm wondering if that's why I like it. I have really really hard water in this country, and the pure shampoos were leaving residues, unlike the nasty detergent shampoos. The beer seems to be clarifying, and seperates my curls a bit.

Beer leaves a coating too. If you have hard water, an acidic rinse or club soda, which is also acidic, can help.

The "nasty detergent shampoos" may have had build-up ingredients in them and no EDTA to help prevent calcium leaving a residue.

Other products can chelate iron and copper (binding metal salts) like coconut and argan oils.

hisprincess
October 29th, 2011, 01:31 PM
My mother used to do this in the 70s to turn her 3b hair into an afro... you have been warned.

Kristin
October 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I LOVE beer rinses- they make my hair really shiny. You're avoiding detergents? Because Lush makes a beer shampoo that is pretty good, but does contain ALS.

bouclée
November 22nd, 2011, 04:35 AM
I have read so much great reviews about beer rinses (especially on a French forum too) that I would love to try that, but I don't have the heart to "steal" my DH's beers in the fridge :rolleyes: