PDA

View Full Version : Hair Vitamins...Help

BeautifulBlonde
October 23rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

I'm in need of your infinite wisdom. I'm thinking about taking a Hair & Nail vitamin to help with my hair growth when I start a new medication. (Tricor, a cholestoral med) One of the side effects is hair loss.

I've all ready lost a good part of my hair due to another medication and i don't want to risk it again...so,

What's your thoughts?

Do you think it would help? If so, what would you recommend?

Would it not?

All opinions and suggestions welcome!

BB

fiddlefananb
October 23rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
I have done the actual hair vitamins before and didn't see much difference until it started taking an actual high powered multivitamin. My hair was at a stand still for months and when I started a multivitamin it grew several inches pretty fast. Could have been a coincidence though. I like the vitamin shoppe woman's multivitamin. Good luck!

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?fromCatId=cat10044&id=VS-2728
(http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?fromCatId=cat10044&id=VS-2728)

BeautifulBlonde
October 23rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Thank you Fiddle!

Keep the suggestions and reviews coming!

mom2fourgirls
October 23rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
I take GNC's Hair Skin and Nails and I definitely have noticed growth in my hair !!!

KwaveT
October 23rd, 2011, 06:46 PM
I am going to give you the truth about these statins and why I would never take one. They have a whole host of side effects. They should only be use for short term to get cholesterol under contrroluse or side effects will only get worse. These include the blocking of enzyme CoQ10. This is responsible for all your energy production for your different organs. This will adversely affect all your internal organs without a CoQ10 supplement. Merck knows this because they have the patent for combining CoQ10 but don't use it because of how much it would raise cost. They also fracture the hair follicle so that is why you get hair loss from it. They also cause muscle weakness. This happened in the shoulder and arm for my dad. He has had to get rotator cuff surgery sooner than he may would have had to. This can becom a huge problem. They can also cause itchy skin disorders as mentioned by dermatologist in a book I am reading. Statins also affect your short term memory so that you won't be able to remember things like you use to. This gets problematic as you get older. You will be thinking you are getting Alzheimer's or fuzzy memory but the statin is the culprit if you are using one. My dad is 57 and on Lipitor and he can't remember anything anymore. I told him the Lipitor is the problem but he won't listen. I will mention what may be able to help cholesterol. First getting healthy fats in your diet including fish oil pill. Second, cut down your sugar intake. Higher your sugar intake, the lower your HDL and higher your LDL. That means table sugar, corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup, and artificial sweeteners such as splenda and aspartame. I imagine this would be tough to do as sugar is everywhere in your diet. You want your sugar intake come from naturally occurring sugars like is in fruits and vegetables. I would start here before I ever took a statin like Tricor. Statins create more problems than they solve.

BeautifulBlonde
October 23rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
Thank you for the thoughts!

KwayneT: Thank you for the heads up. But I shouldn't be on it very long. I'm all ready taking fish oil pills so that's not a big deal. My Diabetes' dr is just wanting to get my triglycorides down asap. They are 400 so...yeah

jacqueline101
October 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I'd ask your doctor to see if it won't do a drug interaction with the meds he prescribed for you. If you get the alright to take them. I use dollar general hair skin and nail vitamins. I also take a multi vitamin and I hope my information helps.

blondie9912
October 29th, 2011, 04:48 PM
If I were you I think I would take a complete multi-vitamin as opposed to a specific 'hair vitamin'. The hair, skin, and nails vitamins tend to be quite pricey, and most people don't report that they make any significant difference in their hair. On another note, garlic is supposed to be fabulous for regrowing hair and helping with thinning hair! I would look into it if shedding is a concern or yours :) They make garlic shampoos that really don't smell like garlic at all, I know the brand 'Queen Helene' makes one. Good luck!

cowgirllong
October 29th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I think hair and nail vitamins do help, but you have to take them for a considerable length of time (think 4-6 months or more) before you are going to notice a difference. Many people do not have the patience to wait and see. Taking a good multivitamin is a great idea, too.

I don't know the why's of medicines making hair fall out, but there is one thing that I tried that made a lot of 'new' hair grow on my head. Monistat. It didn't make my hair grow faster, but it did cause a LOT of new sprouts. I didn't keep using it since it didn't seem to make my hair grow any faster.

MrsGuther
October 29th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I think a good ol' multivitamin is great for hair growth, and good health in general. I would definitely check with your health care provider first before taking any vitamins or supplements to check for drug interactions though.

turquoisedays
October 29th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I've been using Nioxin for skin, hair and nails since April. The bottles are pricey though, around $30 for a 90 day supply. I realize skin, hair and nail vitamins may not work for everyone, but they have worked well for me so far. I've even noticed growth in the length of my eyelashes.

BeautifulBlonde
October 30th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Thank you all for your reviews, suggestions, and opinions!

I really apprecaite it. I'll be sure to check with my doctors that's not an issue. I"ll let you know what they say.