PDA

View Full Version : caruso steam rollers....what did I do wrong?

jaine
October 23rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
So... I was trying to make my hair nice and smooth like UltraBella's. I know she uses Caruso steam rollers so I got some too.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=116979

Here it is right after I took them out:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=116980

Curls looked too tight so I finger-combed my hair ... YIKES! Now it looks like I stuck a fork in an electrical socket.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=116981

What did I do wrong? I'm debating if I should return these.

jaine
October 23rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
I tried again with fewer rollers (and I only used the jumbo & large size) .... here's how it turned out with 10 rollers and less finger-combing:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=116988

It's a little bit closer to what I wanted but not quite there yet.... it's still curlier than I want. I'm curious how to get loose waves, like this.
http://images.cdn1.beautylish.com/11/06/21/ft_5f64ee6f681a0d489ff7b49ec5928434.jpg

BlazingHeart
October 23rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
If you're getting more curl than you want, don't leave them in as long.

~Blaze

jaine
October 23rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
OK I'll try that ... I only left them in 10 minutes, but I'll try less next time.

I should add that the rollers are bigger in diameter than the curls that I would have naturally. So I'm not trying to curl my hair ... I'm actually trying to loosen and smooth my curls. I'm not sure if that makes a difference... Here's a picture of my natural curls:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=109939.

mora
October 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
To me it looks like your second try did have looser curls (or longer wavelength) than your natural hair (and both look very nice!).

I don't have any practical advice but based on reading this post (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1201371&postcount=44), I guess you probably do have to play around with your timing and such.

getoffmyskittle
October 23rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
I think a big part of it is the length and weight of UltraBella's hair. I agree, you'll want to reduce the times, but also remember that the shorter the hair, the more easily it holds the curl.

Maverick494
October 23rd, 2011, 03:35 PM
The key here is how long you put them in. Also curl away from your face if you want the effect Miranda Kerr got. Since they are so defined by only using them for 10 minutes, try 5 instead. Also, I'm pretty sure that after a while they are going to slowly lose definition. So play around with timing and see how long your hair holds with them on a free day where it doesn't matter how your hair looks.

jaine
October 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
To me it looks like your second try did have looser curls (or longer wavelength) than your natural hair (and both look very nice!).

I don't have any practical advice but based on reading this post (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1201371&postcount=44), I guess you probably do have to play around with your timing and such.

I think a big part of it is the length and weight of UltraBella's hair. I agree, you'll want to reduce the times, but also remember that the shorter the hair, the more easily it holds the curl.

That makes sense .... thank you!

Crap, I was really wishing for "Victoria's Secret hair" ...smooth loose waves with some volume (http://phugcus.zenfs.com/phugc/3cYNStm_XWm1/photos/5fdd7c20c7d2905162fc4cf38707f015/mr_5234ec20e764a3.jpg?ug_____DGCL4QYpD). But my hair is very fine and lightweight ... AND short ... AND curly ... maybe these rollers are the wrong tool for the job.

spidermom
October 23rd, 2011, 03:42 PM
How did it look after an hour? My hair always started out curlier than I wanted it, but the curls relaxed over time.

jaine
October 23rd, 2011, 04:08 PM
How did it look after an hour? My hair always started out curlier than I wanted it, but the curls relaxed over time.

It looked a lot frizzier after 1 hour (probably because I was running my fingers through it every now and then)

Hmmm... I think I will return them ...this is really not worth $45 to me. Next time I want to curl my hair I'll just spray it with water :p

Annibelle
October 23rd, 2011, 04:17 PM
That last Caruso photo you posted... :thud: Sooooo pretty. I know it's not what you were going for, but it looks so good! :) I just got a Caruso set, too, but I'm awful at using the curlers (I'd never curled my hair before).

archel
October 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Ok you may not love your result, but this makes me want a set EVEN MORE. I love that second try you did, ah!

UltraBella
October 23rd, 2011, 05:43 PM
I think you are giving up WAY too soon.
These are curlers so they definitely are going to curl your hair, but when I am trying to smooth out my hair I use the smallest amount of jumbo rollers possible, so REALLY big sections of hair and I leave the curlers in much longer. Over 30 minutes, maybe more. I can't even begin to have fully dry curls at the 10 minute mark and if they are even the teeny tiniest bit damp when taken out, they frizz.
I also always roll away from my face on the top and sides.

spidermom
October 23rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
That's one thing about curls - at least for me - fingers/combs/brushes are a big no-no.

jaine
October 23rd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Thank you to those of you who liked the result :) You are too kind...

UltraBella, you give me hope!!! :) I still have them so now I want to try again with fewer rollers and totally dry hair, and leaving it in longer. (I admit that my hair was only about 95% dry when I tried it earlier today...I had just washed it and I was excited to try it out so I probably didn't blow-dry my hair thoroughly enough before I started.)

I will try leaving it alone next time too with no finger-combing... I don't know why I thought these curls would be any more "brushable" than my own ... that's always a disaster.

UltraBella
October 23rd, 2011, 06:22 PM
I always finger comb or use a wide toothed hair pick on mine, always. I think you could experiment with that too.
Another thing you can experiment with is twisting the section before rolling on the curler. If I twist my section of hair, not too tightly but pretty firmly, and then roll, I get very smooth flat waves.

Rocket22
October 23rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
How in the world did you get so many curlers on your head? :) I really like the look of the second try a lot!!! I use only a couple of curlers in my hair. Maybe more hair and less curlers would do the trick?

jaine
October 23rd, 2011, 07:58 PM
How in the world did you get so many curlers on your head? :) I really like the look of the second try a lot!!! I use only a couple of curlers in my hair. Maybe more hair and less curlers would do the trick?

Yeah ... my first attempt had very small sections! My second attempt turned out better with 10 rollers total (4 from front to back, then 3 more on each side). I think I'll use fewer next time. The only problem with using fewer is .... how do I hide the crease from the plastic cover? If the section of hair is thicker than the roller, it makes a crease in my hair.

McFearless
October 23rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hey don't bother, your natural curls are beyond gorgeous.

McFearless
October 23rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
I also think the direction you wrap the hair and position the rollers greatly impacts the results. Next time try positioning the rollers horizontally on your head.

Rocket22
October 23rd, 2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah ... my first attempt had very small sections! My second attempt turned out better with 10 rollers total (4 from front to back, then 3 more on each side). I think I'll use fewer next time. The only problem with using fewer is .... how do I hide the crease from the plastic cover? If the section of hair is thicker than the roller, it makes a crease in my hair.

Yeah I do know what you mean about the crease. when I'm being lazy and not looking for to much umph I use only two rollers(which is about most the time) but I have super duper fine hair and that basically just curls the bottom under and gives me a little extra volume. when I use 6 or 7 rollers, don't know if I have ever used ten, I can actually get some volume with my fine a** hair :) I have some pictures in my album. also my sig. pic is with just two rollers at the very bottom

missmagoo
October 23rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
I've kind of been able to reduce the crease depending on the angle I put the cover on. Rather than coming straight down, I put it on slightly from the back. I'd love to hear other suggestions though- it's so frustrating to have the curls look awesome, but have the stupid crease right at the top of your hair.

Kaelee
October 23rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Are these rollers damaging at all? I've never used them or any rollers but I LOVE how my hair looks curled!

UltraBella
October 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Are these rollers damaging at all? I've never used them or any rollers but I LOVE how my hair looks curled!

They are safe for hair :cheese:

Annibelle
October 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM

I just got mine, so UltraBella is the expert. ;) But as far as I can tell, they're damaging ONLY if you're awful at curling... but that goes for all sponge rollers... hehe. My hair got MUCH less tangled by these than they have by any other foam rollers, though. A few got tangled because I'm an amateur, but other than that, they don't seem damaging at all. The steam might burn your fingers a little bit when you FIRST touch the plastic when getting it off of the steamer, but the foam is just warm, and that's the part touching your hair. Plus, the plastic cools very quickly (within seconds of leaving the steamer). HTH :flower:

julliams
October 24th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Plus don't forget that the techinique for Miranda Kerr's hair would have most likely been a large barrelled curling iron done on hair that had been previously blown out or straightened.

I've ordered my set but I won't get it until November 8th - I can't wait.

Personally I would try a few more times. Try the suggestions Ultrabella gave you and also consider that once your hair gets longer it will automatically pull the curl down. But less rollers will definitely help with the larger curl

Aqua Gal
October 24th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I hereby declare this to be an enabling thread....Yay! I just ordered mine. I simply could not take another picture of gorgeous steam curls.

Jaine, Thanks for sharing your pics. Not bad for just starting out.

GlassWidow
October 24th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Personally I would try a few more times. Try the suggestions Ultrabella gave you and also consider that once your hair gets longer it will automatically pull the curl down.

This gave me an idea, though not sure it would work...instead of finger combing, what about gently pulling the ends of the curls to loosen them? That way you're not disturbing the curl pattern, but you are encouraging the curls to lengthen. :confused:

jaine
October 24th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I hereby declare this to be an enabling thread....Yay! I just ordered mine. I simply could not take another picture of gorgeous steam curls.

Jaine, Thanks for sharing your pics. Not bad for just starting out.

haha ... oops! :)

I'm trying again now with 4 jumbo rollers, steamed for 5 seconds each and left to dry about half an hour...started with totally dry hair this time, so hopefully I'll have less frizz.

jaine
October 24th, 2011, 09:03 PM
My hair is full of cone serum at the moment and I think that probably invalidates today's experiments with fewer rollers ... caruso rollers don't work so well with cone serum, right?

My hair isn't holding a shape at all today... it's just floppy and slippery. 6 rollers looked great for about a minute before the curls fell out. I think I like attempt #2 better.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=117077

CariadA
October 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM
From my experience, Carusos work better with no product at all on the hair prior to use. I would give it another try without the serum. They do have a bit of a learning curve. My curls end up looking totally different on my thin, straight hair than they would on your hairtype, but I can still post or send a pic if you want. I twist the sections before rolling.

Good luck!

jaine
October 24th, 2011, 09:13 PM
From my experience, Carusos work better with no product at all on the hair prior to use. I would give it another try without the serum. They do have a bit of a learning curve. My curls end up looking totally different on my thin, straight hair than they would on your hairtype, but I can still post or send a pic if you want. I twist the sections before rolling.

Good luck!

I would like to see pictures!

My first two attempts had some cone-free hard-hold gel in my hair ... that seemed to be compatible with the rollers. I usually have something in my hair when I dry it in a bun to make sure the curly new hairs lie down flat.

UltraBella
October 24th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I always use product in my hair, but nothing coney. I use something with a light hold, like a soft set gel, mousse, or a setting lotion. Biolage makes a great one.
If my hair is too coney the curls just fall out. My curls usually last several days otherwise.

jaine
October 24th, 2011, 09:23 PM
That's good to know, thanks!
It might be a few days before I can try this again... I'm enjoying my soft tangle-free hair full of cones. :)

CariadA
October 24th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I always use product in my hair, but nothing coney. I use something with a light hold, like a soft set gel, mousse, or a setting lotion. Biolage makes a great one.
If my hair is too coney the curls just fall out. My curls usually last several days otherwise.

I sometimes put product in the water (Paul Mitchel Sculpting Lotion- which does have cones) but I can't have anything on my hair before.

ETA: I put a picture up in my album of what it looks like if I twist the sections before rolling them.

UltraBella
October 24th, 2011, 09:43 PM
If I twist the sections before rolling I get soft waves.
Example :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/a27df7fa.jpg

CariadA
October 24th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Ooh, that's really pretty, UltraBella!

I like twisting the sections a lot, too.

CariadA
October 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM
This is what mine looks like when I twist. It's not the pretty loose waves UltraBella gets, but I think it looks more natural that when I just roll it.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh75/lovely-in-nyc/IMG_293622.jpg

misstwist
October 24th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I get less denting from the plastic covers if I don't heat them.

UltraBella
October 25th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I don't get denting at all, ever. Does everyone else ?

Annibelle
October 25th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I haven't gotten denting... but I've used my set only three times! :) The first time, I didn't heat the covers, but the last two times I did.

buttercupmcgee
October 25th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I've always had the slippery/no hold curl problem with these, and now I'm realizing it may be the cones in my conditioner....I don't use product before the rollers, just air dry and then twist and roll. But they still fall out immediately.

So, what kind of conditioner do I need to be using before I use the Carusos? A lighter Suave or VO5 without cones? And, this may be a dumb question but do I need to cut out cones all together or just for that one wash before I use the Carusos, in order for them to hold?

Aqua Gal
October 25th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Hmmmm, cones mess with the curls/waves? curious.

Buggheart
October 25th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Also if you smoosh the foam part down a lot when you roll them, the curls will be tighter. So if you can, try to roll them loosely so the foam isn't crushed. Easier said than done, I know. When I take my rollers out the foam is totally smooshed down.

ktani
October 25th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Loved your 2nd try. I agree that you need to take your time and play with them. It is a learning curve and you got excellent advice.

Enjoy the journey.

I think your natural hair is awesome but this can make a great damage free change.

jaine
October 25th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I've always had the slippery/no hold curl problem with these, and now I'm realizing it may be the cones in my conditioner....I don't use product before the rollers, just air dry and then twist and roll. But they still fall out immediately.

So, what kind of conditioner do I need to be using before I use the Carusos? A lighter Suave or VO5 without cones? And, this may be a dumb question but do I need to cut out cones all together or just for that one wash before I use the Carusos, in order for them to hold?

It usually takes me 2 shampoos to got all cones out of my hair, but that could be in the same shower. I used a cone-free conditioner and a cone-free gel in my first and second attempts.

buttercupmcgee
October 25th, 2011, 08:21 PM
It usually takes me 2 shampoos to got all cones out of my hair, but that could be in the same shower. I used a cone-free conditioner and a cone-free gel in my first and second attempts.

Thanks! I'm going to give this a go. My rollers have been collecting dust for 3 months, but I have renewed hope! :pumpkin:

jaine
November 7th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I liked the results on my most recent try with these rollers, a couple of days ago...
I washed my hair with conditioner (no silicone in my hair), skipped the gel, dried the front in a bun, dried the back loose, then I put it in 18 large and jumbo rollers steamed for 5 seconds each. That gave me smooth round curls on day 1 ...and smooth, shiny "victoria's secret" waves on day 2 :) I didn't even use a silk sleeping cap and it still looked nice the next day.
So maybe leaving out the gel helped. Too bad I didn't take a picture but I was in a hurry.

jaine
November 19th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I have these rollers figured out!!
Cone-free conditioner in my hair but no products.
Use LOTS of large and medium size rollers.
Steam each roller and lid for 2-3 seconds each (sounds like it won't be enough, but it is).
Roll away from my face.
Leave the steam hole pointing downward whenever possible.
Blow each steam hole with a hot hair dryer.
Take the rollers out carefully and Don't Touch ANYTHING.
Go sit outside in the cold dry winter air for 10-15 minutes.
Then finger-comb.

ETA: here's a picture of what that looks like...I am happy with it!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=119389

ashleyrox
November 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Now I want some of these rollers! Very pretty results!

jaine
November 19th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks! It's nice that the entire process takes about 40 minutes from start to finish ... and the last 15 minutes (sitting outside in the cold) could in theory be done in the car while I'm driving to my destination. These are a very nice winter styling tool for me.

AngelDella
November 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I would love to see actual pics of someone with bsl length hair using these rollers. I mean, actual pics of the rollers in the hair and then the final results. I am having trouble figuring out how to place the rollers. I used to blow dry then use hot rollers all the time, but am now heat free. So far, the results of the caruso rollers don't come close to my former results, but I'm not going to go back to damaging my hair, regardless :) I am committed to taking care of my hair above all, thanks to LHC! And thanks in advance. I know how much trouble taking pics and uploading can be...I still haven't figured it out. I am waiting until my children come home for the holidays to show me how.