PDA

View Full Version : Another perm question(hairstylist opinios welcome)

Babyfine
October 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Exactly just how damaging are today's perms? I haven't had a perm since 2000, but sometimes I really think a perm would solve my flat, thin ,scraggly problem.
My current hairstylist doesn't recommend it on top of my demi-color, but if I could have hair with more body I just might let the silvers come in.
Because I have a lot of natural wave, I can get quite a lot of mileage out of a perm(about 8-12 months) because my roots don't come in completely straight.
I wasn't able to grow my hair as long then as I can now when I used to perm,but my hair tapers so much anyway I probably won't grow past BSL anyway.
I used to have dryness and breakage back in the day when I permed, but I didn't know then all the good LHC tips that I do now(CO washing, oiling protein, moisture, ect.) So maybe I could get away with it now.
My hair shines a lot more, now, without a perm, but I'm thinking the extra volume might be worth it.

Kaelee
October 23rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
I had my hair permed back in 05 or 06 and I didn't see any damage whatsoever. I loved it, and would have kept doing it if I could justify the expense and also if it would work well on top of henna. I only did it once, though, for prom.

Like you I got a lot of mileage out of it- six or eight months later people thought my hair was naturally curly!

I don't know how it reacts with color, but I think if you only do it every year or so, and are gentle with your hair in between, you should be fine.

The worst part was it made my hair smell exactly like corned beef (the real stuff, not from the can) for three days! LOL

Elph
October 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
I had a perm in April. I loved it. I too have thin hair with a bit of wave and am now sitting with 3 inches or so of growth and it is hugely noticable. The only thing I have noticed is the split ends. I had to trim about 2 inches to reduce the splits - they were narly think feathers on the end of the hair. Other then that I haven't really had much trouble, I switched to the dry version of my poo and cond and added some frizz oil and that is about it.

Babyfine
October 23rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
I had my hair permed back in 05 or 06 and I didn't see any damage whatsoever. I loved it, and would have kept doing it if I could justify the expense and also if it would work well on top of henna. I only did it once, though, for prom.

Like you I got a lot of mileage out of it- six or eight months later people thought my hair was naturally curly!

I don't know how it reacts with color, but I think if you only do it every year or so, and are gentle with your hair in between, you should be fine.

The worst part was it made my hair smell exactly like corned beef (the real stuff, not from the can) for three days! LOL

I, too, have wondered abut perm plus henna
corned beef, LOL-Yes it does smell. What does bother me is that I read somewhere that a perm breaks down your dissulfide bonds in order to re-bend it thus the smell. Kind of creeps me out.

Babyfine
October 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
I had a perm in April. I loved it. I too have thin hair with a bit of wave and am now sitting with 3 inches or so of growth and it is hugely noticable. The only thing I have noticed is the split ends. I had to trim about 2 inches to reduce the splits - they were narly think feathers on the end of the hair. Other then that I haven't really had much trouble, I switched to the dry version of my poo and cond and added some frizz oil and that is about it.

Yes I did have much more trouble with splits then than I do now but then again I wasn't taking nearly as good care of my hair in general then.
I keep thinking with my LHC knowledge it might be different.

ktani
October 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Things have progressed, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/fashion/03SKIN.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1356662/Digital-Perm-Can-deliver-soft-curls-promises.html

What both articles stress is a consultation. You may also want to ask for a strand and patch test which should in my opinion be offered.

More, http://korusjournal.com/?p=1107

Babyfine
October 23rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the articles, Ktani. a lot of food for thought-and I agree consultation, ect.
I'm going through a lot of hair hate now, so either a perm, chop or something drastic is probably going to be done.

ktani
October 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the articles, Ktani. a lot of food for thought-and I agree consultation, ect.
I'm going through a lot of hair hate now, so either a perm, chop or something drastic is probably going to be done.

You are very welcome.

I would not do anything drastic while you are in the middle of hair hate. Do something when you are calm and have weighed all of your options as you will have to live with your decision.

I am neither pro nor anti perm. It is a chemical process that like any other can have excellent results on hair that is in good condition, by one who knows what they are doing and chooses the right product.

An ex boyfriend, a stylist once told me that a cheap Tony Home Perm in the hands of a skilled person (he meant stylist, although I had a friend who took classes from a stylist and permed her own hair beautifully) can come out looking as good as the best professional perms.

ktani
October 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
My friend always bought perms from a beauty supply store and chose one for her hair type. She always trimmed the last inch or so off of her ends when unwinding the rods after the perm.

Her hair was short but long on top and always looked great. She permed the hair of her sisters too and chose perms for their hair type. She always cut her own hair long before I did mine. She was in her eighties when she died a few years back.

I miss her a great deal. She was very wise, kind, and gracious.

Babyfine
October 23rd, 2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks Ktani-I'll invoke the 2-week rule. I've had some awful perms, and some good ones, so I will definetley have to think about it.

ktani
October 23rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks Ktani-I'll invoke the 2-week rule. I've had some awful perms, and some good ones, so I will definetley have to think about it.

Good idea. You are very welcome. I have been there!

Rocket22
October 23rd, 2011, 07:47 PM
I agree with ktani don't do anything while in hair hate! but I feel your pain Im in hair hate right now to. But the funny thing is most the time (of course not always) it will go away and you will be grateful you didn't do anything drastic and you will be in hair love aqain :)

Elph
October 24th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Yeah, I have had some great splits but on the whole my hair has not really suffered. I would love ust to get a perm on the top of my hair but of course they would need to soak the whole head and really I want waist length hair again and as such I will not pay double for that.

I hope you enoy your hair.

Babyfine
October 24th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Elph I did just have a root perm once, it worked out OK but the stylist that did it moved away and other stylists have not been quite as willing to do just the roots.
My current stylist doesn't like perms at all and has been reluctant to perm my hair.(Maybe I should listen to her).
I'm thinking now I might try other ways to get volume but as the woman in the article that Ktani provided said, it's hard to get consistent results from rag curls.
I got some pretty good volume yesterday from wearing a bun on top of my head at night so I'll try that for awhile.