PDA

View Full Version : So upset!! So much breakage in the crown area

TropicalBreeze
October 23rd, 2011, 06:54 AM
The other day I noticed some breakage close to the front of the hairline - I'm talking breakage down to one inch left of hair. And now I just saw more breakage at the back part of the crown with again it being one inch long. What could be causing this? I don't colour my hair, don't use blow dryers or flat irons or much hair product. Is it even possible to break down to one inch of length? I have no idea if this could be new growth either as it patches of one inch hairs here and there. I'm rambling right now but I'm so upset.

silverjen
October 23rd, 2011, 06:59 AM
Don't panic, it could easily be new growth! Baby hairs tend to be more visible in the crown and temple area. Look at the ends of the small hairs. If they taper, they're new growth.

Sunny_side_up
October 23rd, 2011, 07:07 AM
Sounds like you're doing a good job of tending to your hair, try not to fret, as it does sound like its newly sprouting hairs! so your hair is healthy and theres some lovely new growth going on!:)

TropicalBreeze
October 23rd, 2011, 07:08 AM
I can't really tell if it tapers or not because my hair is so fine. This new 'breakage' is more in the back and going down my part line. It almost looks like a mini mohawk. Ugh.

Zesty
October 23rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
I have those naturally and I always have. I have hairs that are no more than 1.5" long all along my hairline, with some at the nape of my neck that get to about 3-4", and I have shorter hairs that stick up from my canopy. They aren't necessarily breakage, and I wouldn't think that they are unless you use some sort of tight headband or something. They're most likely just baby hairs growing in, or some hairs that have a shorter terminal length (it happens). Also, if you were doing damaging things to your hair before and now you're changing your routine, it could be new growth!

blondie9912
October 23rd, 2011, 09:36 AM
Sounds like new growth to me! It's always a bit of a pain when it first grows in, but in half a year or so I think they will give you a thicker hemline :)

I have a lot of breakage near my crown from overprocessing this summer, and I wear a thick fabric headband on my hair to cover it while they grow out. Maybe that's something you could consider!

spidermom
October 23rd, 2011, 09:39 AM
If you've done nothing damaging, it's most likely new hairs. Sometimes my head reminds me of dandelion fluff, there are so many sticky-ups all over the place.

Another thought, have you been wearing a somewhat rough hat?

Lostsoule77
October 23rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Unless you been pinning updos consistantly in that spot or something else similar I think it is probably new growth. I get them sticking up all over my head so it looks like I'm a lion or something! I hate it, but it means that our hair is getting thicker so while it may be a bother now it'll look great in a couple years. :) I clip it down if I'm going out somewhere nice. Otherwise I just brush my damp hand over them to smooth them down. It works for a bit and the rest of the time I'm not looking at myself so I don't care. :) Plus my DH thinks it's cute and like to fluff it up even more.

TropicalBreeze
October 23rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks everyone. I feel so much better now. My hair is so fine and on the thinner side so I didn't expect new growth. I thought for sure it must be breakage. I have been taking DE regularly, along with MSM, biotin and other vitamins so that must be the reason for all of the new growth.

Delila
October 23rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
One factor that makes it seem as though I've got breakage in one spot, is that the little sticky-up ones that grow right where I twist my updo, tend to dry inside the updo, and tend to wind up even more wayward than they are just left to dry on their own.

Does it mean that I've got breakage in that one spot? I kind of doubt it, since the little shorty hairs I see on my canopy layer seems pretty evenly distributed.