PDA

View Full Version : How did your silver progress?

Heavenly Locks
October 23rd, 2011, 04:35 AM
Okay, lets talk sparklies :D

I'm 30 and finding my first ones. I got one right in the center of my bangs and just found another at the hairline half the distance between my temple and the center of my bangs. They are both maybe 2 inches long. I haven't seen any other ones, but I'm guessing since they just started growing (since they're short still) I might not be able to see any that aren't visible when I look in a mirror.

I wish the one in the middle was less excited to be here. It is wiry compared to my other hair and it sticks straight up! I decided to pull it out once since it makes my blunt bangs look silly and it won't flat iron down either... it comes back though and I guess I'll have to just let it grow and hope it lays down eventually.

When you first noticed your grey hairs, where were they? How did the process progress? Was it fast or did it take a while? :)

Brianna
October 23rd, 2011, 06:44 AM
I found my first white hair when I was about 20. I think it was just a little above my hairline, and the white part was very coarse. I was very sad when it shed out. :(

I've noticed a few more over the years, but I couldn't really find them if I looked. They're there, I guess, but not noticeably so. :)

indiana
October 23rd, 2011, 06:46 AM
my first were in my late 20s. Just a few here and there. Now (at 43), they are liberally sprinkled throughout and I have an awesome grey streak at my temple. My hairdresser at the time wanted to color over them but I loved the way they catch the light (still do). Plus, since they are coarser than my regular hair I'm hoping that as I get more and more my hair volume will plump up a bit. LOVE the silver hairs!

Sunny_side_up
October 23rd, 2011, 06:51 AM
Noticed my first silver when i was about 25 i think, I have had three since (i'm twenty eight) shed those on the way. At the mo i have one thats about 6months growth long oh and another sprouting which is like 2months growth:D

I had a work mate notice and point out one of my silvers a month ago and jokingly pinched her for pointing it out loudly, she's shorter than me and i was sitting down at the time (not many people were about):p I am surrounded at work by people who VERY regularly touch up their roots/change their colour, though all i hear from them is don't dye your hair(virgin) i am happy to leave the colour and gather some more grays;) I will not pull them out!

Altocumulus
October 23rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
I found my first silver in my late 30s, and still only have about 10 or so, all in the front/crown region. Only a few have been around long enough to shed naturally. I miss them when they go!

QMacrocarpa
October 23rd, 2011, 06:58 AM
I have spotty sparklies here and there, coming on for 5 or so years now. New (i.e. short) ones in my frizz halo do seem pretty noticeable and "excited to be here" :) but as they get longer I think they calm down.

Madora
October 23rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
My first sparklies started appearing about 15 yrs ago, in my temple area.

I seem to be graying more on the temples than anywhere else and doubt if I'll ever have fully silver tresses as beautiful as HonestWitness has. Both my parents' hair remained 95% natural with very little gray. I'd love to have a mane of luscious silver!

Copasetic
October 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM
I found my first when I was about 20. It was along the part of my hair (I always part to the side). And when I find them now, they are always in roughly the same place. I don't know how many I have now, because I always pull them out.

pepperminttea
October 23rd, 2011, 09:29 AM
I found my first in my late teens. At 23, they're still not noticeable yet. I'm hoping for a streak. :D

Lostsoule77
October 23rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
I found my first probably around 30. I've found about 8 in total, but I've usually pulled them out. They could've just been the same ones coming back in for all I know. They are mostly on the top of my head in the center around where I'd have a center part. I'm just not quite ready to go grey yet, but don't want to dye either. So plucking it is for now. I might start leaving them alone soon though. They are only a few and I don't want to kill the follicle prematurely.

Miss Maisie
October 23rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
I found my first two around 18. They were right at the very front of my hairline and I loved them! At 32 I have a LOT of silvers. Mostly on the sides and at the front of my hair.

Confession time: A few days ago I had my hair in a bun at the top of my head. I caught a glimpse in the mirror and FREAKED - I had dark, cool roots, my ends were much warmer/more red, and I had silver throughout. I called my hairdresser friend and had my hair colored (demi permanent) yesterday. As it turns out, my silvers are really, really color-resistant. My hair is all nicely toned the cool dark color of my roots, and my silvers are all still there. I'm so glad I didn't lose them!

MaryRose
October 23rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Mine began to show about 2 years ago (age28). I have about 4 now in my bangs. I haven't seen them anywhere else yet.

Dorothy
October 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
Mine started at 25 yo, and progressed rapidly. My momma had a head of silver by 35. They are coarser, and wavy, unlike the rest of my very straight dark brown hair. They are concentrated in the front and crown area - not so much at my temples. I have Henna'd now for 3 years, and the Henna covers the grey completly, but doesn't affect the brown much, so I have completely red bangs, red crown, and about an inch below the end of my part in the back (middle part) it's all brown again. I still have dyed brown ends I'm growing out. I was really surprised by this pattern.

spidermom
October 23rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
I had quite a few before I noticed them in my mid-40s. Since my hair is so light in color, they sneaked up on me. I love the silvery ones but am not fond of the white, coarse hairs.

vintage88
October 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM
I started to notice silver hairs at the back of my head when I was 20. I now find them all over, this morning I found 3 all together on the left side. I'm only 23 and seem to be finding more all the time, I just think of them as my sparkles now and I don't feel so bad about them:)

darklyndsea
October 23rd, 2011, 11:55 AM
I'm 24 and recently found a couple of them at my back left, possibly starting near my crown. I'm very confused about how they got to waist length without me noticing them at all.

irisheyes
October 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
I started to get my silvers in my cowlick, at the hairline above my right eye. It came in about 1 inch thick and looked kinda dashing at the time (I was only 34 years old). However, the white filled in from ear to ear rather quickly and it remains the same, mostly all white around the face, with salt and cinnamon filling in the rest.

Teazel
October 23rd, 2011, 07:06 PM
My first silvers arrived in my teens - I might have been as young as 13, don't really remember now. They cropped up at the top/front and temples, and I plucked them out until there were too many. Most of my grey hairs are under the canopy so for many years they didn't really show; once they became noticeable I started using temporary dyes... until even that stopped working and I had to make the choice to stop dyeing or move to permanent dye.