PDA

View Full Version : Adding conditioner to my shampoo?

Gilly
October 22nd, 2011, 09:04 PM
Hi,

Do you think it would work if I add some conditioner to my shampoo? I like the idea of CWC but I am looking for a way to streamline the process a bit so I am wondering if I could mix them together for the first part of the process.
I think I will give it a go with some Garnier triple nutrition mixed with my Mastey Triate, then will use the Garnier on its own after.

Madora
October 22nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
You are trying to streamline the process but are working at cross purposes because:

shampoo is meant to cleanse your scalp and hair
conditioner is meant to condition and protect your hair

To me, it is more important for hair health that your scalp is cleansed properly with shampoo alone.

Gilly
October 22nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
But I always thought that you apply conditioner, then shampoo, then condition again with CWC or am I missing something????:confused:

Madora
October 22nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
I am sorry. I misunderstood your post. You're referring to CWC, which I never use. Perhaps if you edited your thread title to insert the words CWC, then members who use that method would be able to help you. Good luck!

MissEarlGrey
October 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM
CWC means that you use conditioner on just your length, so when you shampoo your scalp, they are "protected" by the conditioner, and then condition your entire head after rinsing out the shampoo.

Mixing them together would essentially be making your own 2 in 1, the notion of that product is just plain silly.

danacc
October 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM
With CWC, you do not apply shampoo directly to the length. The point is to protect the length with conditioner while you are cleansing your scalp with shampoo. Conditioner alone is usually cleansing enough for the length. Shampoo can be too harsh.

If you are trying to streamline, I suggest you look into using a shampoo/oil mix instead of CWC. See this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063.

cmg
October 22nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Mixing them together would be counter productive. A shampo generally has the effect of opening the cuticle and the conditioner closing it. A lot of this effect comes from different pH-levels, but also due to other chemical factors. Conditioner and shampoo of the same product line are also often "tuned" to each other. So therefore mixing them makes little sense. If you happen to have bought some products that are compatible, there is no problem in theory with this though. Sometimes the very cheap ones can be mixed. They are simply not so differentiated (except for the various -cones) and are very cleaning in their effect.

Gilly
October 22nd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Ok sorry, I am obviously doing things wrong!

I was only asking, sorry for being silly:o

danacc
October 22nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
No need to apologize! We're all here to learn. :grouphug:

cmg
October 23rd, 2011, 06:30 PM
Right! There is no such thing as a silly question. :) And there is always more than one way to do something.

ktani
October 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
I was going to stay out of this but here I go.

Gilly you are not being silly. It depends on what you want.

In this thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025

at least one person added conditioner to shampoo with coconut oil 1:1:1 and loved the results.

I think others tried it too as I recall.

It is not the same as CWC.

There are 2 in 1 shampoos out there and basically they are shampoos with small amounts of conditioning ingredients in them like the waxy alcohols, cetyl and cetearyl alcohols.

If you look at your Mastey Traite ingredients those alcohols or at least one of them is already in there.

The oil shampoo method later became more streamlined to include no such ingredients that could build-up to block lauric acid penetration. ETA: That was me wanting to duplicate the movie star results.

In my opinion Mastey Traite, because of those conditioning ingredients and more would not be a great choice for an oil shampoo along those lines. Adding more conditioner to it would not make it as effective a cleanser as it is mild to begin with.

Cosmetic companies more and more so are adding conditioning ingredients which build-up to shampoos. They are just not calling all of them 2 in 1's.

Regardless of how one views the effectiveness of such shampoos to cleanse the scalp, they exist.

proo
October 24th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Try it! and let us know.

ktani
October 24th, 2011, 05:51 PM
The formula has been changed. My opinion has not but by all means, try it and see if you like the results. You just may be pleased with it.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=13696/Traite-Shampoo/Mastey/Shampoo
"As of May 2011: Aqua/Eau/Water, Panthenol B5, Methyl Gluceth-20, PCA, Rice Amino Acid, (Mastey NMF); Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Grape Seed Extract (Vitis Vinifera), Sunflower Seed Extract (Helianthus Annuus), (Mastey UVABLOC); Sulfoalkyl Amides & Esters, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Decyl Glucoside, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Glucoside, Glycereth-2 Cocoate & Benzoic Acid, Parfum/Fragrance."

jaine
October 24th, 2011, 08:37 PM
For several years I washed my hair with a mixture of shampoo and conditioner, then I rinsed that out and used more conditioner afterwards. My hair liked it.
I usually saturated all of my hair with conditioner, then I added a small amount of shampoo to my scalp, and some water, and lathered it up.

It's basically like CO-washing with a little extra "oomph."

Ashenputtel
October 24th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I have one of those extra moisturising shampoo. I find it work best used once a week. I tried the c-cow-c and it didn't work at all (mixing shampoo and condish with water for the wash).

I suppose you want to avoid the drying effect of shampoo? Buying a milder shampoo and dilluting it could be a good option too.

I personnaly dillute my shampoo and add a little glycerine to it. Keep in mind I live somewhere where the air is almost always humid.

DarleneH
October 24th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I usually saturated all of my hair with conditioner, then I added a small amount of shampoo to my scalp, and some water, and lathered it up.

I do this too. The only difference being that I put a bit shampoo in a little bottle, fill it with water, shake, and apply that diluted shampoo to my scalp.

cmg
October 25th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I do this too. The only difference being that I put a bit shampoo in a little bottle, fill it with water, shake, and apply that diluted shampoo to my scalp.
This is what I recommended my customers way back when I had a beauty-shop. Lathering up the shampoo makes the harsh ingredients come to the hair and scalp in a much lesser concentration than just glooping it up as is on the head. Hair dyes will last for longer also. And probably the shampoo as well.

ktani
October 25th, 2011, 02:41 PM
This is what I recommended my customers way back when I had a beauty-shop. Lathering up the shampoo makes the harsh ingredients come to the hair and scalp in a much lesser concentration than just glooping it up as is on the head. Hair dyes will last for longer also. And probably the shampoo as well.

I read about a variation of this years ago.

I pour the amount of shampoo I am going to use into one hand. I take a small amount of it in the other and lather it up on my forearm and apply that to sections of my hair at the scalp where my hair is the oiliest.

Then I emulsify the rest between both hands and work it though my scalp. The lather from all of that is worked through my hair length by squeezing it through, so that the hair is not manipulated and does not tangle. I wash my hair all forward and the squeezing part is worked through all of the lengeth at one time in a downward motion.

The result when I rinse is that loose hair releases smoothly and there is no catching.