PDA

View Full Version : best penetrator

Lenniemi
October 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
I used avocado oil but wasnt really satisfied, any other good hair penetrators? heard about coconut oil, olive oil, emu oil,...or what is the best combo? Thanks a lot

bobbsi
October 22nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
I know it's OT, BUT: Does anybody else find this title weird? Or is it because I'm not a native? Ö.ö

Coan-Teen
October 22nd, 2011, 05:14 PM
Hahaha. I completely got the wrong impression about this thread title! I'm sorry I don't have the answer for you, but I just wanted you to know you made me chuckle. I believe coconut oil has been proven to get inside the hair shaft.

spidermom
October 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
My hair does well with coconut oil. EVOO was as good, but I didn't like the scent.

ktani
October 22nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Coconut oil, palm kernel oil and babassu oil can all penetrate hair to the cortex level and are the easiest to find.

Other oils that can too are murumuru, cohune and tucuma kernel oils.

Babassu oil is a kernel oil.

Roscata
October 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
More proven Oils that penetrate the hair shaft (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62084)
"[...]I remember a question I asked about hair oils, and whether there were other oils that penetrated the hair shaft other than coconut oil, and they promptly answered that coconut oil was one of the few that did more than just sit on top of the hair cuticle.

It turns out, there were more even THEY didn't realize! Today, they posted some information regarding some research done on the penetrating properties of certain plant oils on the hair shaft, Olive oil, Avocado oil, Meadowfoam seed oil, Sunflower oil, and Jojoba oil were tested.

It turns out that olive oil and avocado oil also had very penetrative properties, as well as meadowfoam seed oil (to a certain extent). They also said it would be even MORE effective if they were mixed together![...]."

Hope that helps. :)

ktani
October 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
Olive oil and the others can penetrate hair to a degree but not that much. Mixing the oils with coconut oil may not get you the results you are after.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1368685&postcount=39

Yozhik
October 22nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
I know it's OT, BUT: Does anybody else find this title weird? Or is it because I'm not a native? Ö.ö

I was also amused by the title. :)

And I'd suggest coconut oil. :flower:

girlcat36
October 22nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Had to do a double take on the thread title! :D

Nae
October 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Lol, now that I am done blushing, I will say coconut oil.

I love creative thread titles.

ktani
October 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
I almost feel bad that I did not take the thread title the wrong way for an instant, lol.

squee
October 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Hahaha. I completely got the wrong impression about this thread title! I'm sorry I don't have the answer for you, but I just wanted you to know you made me chuckle. I believe coconut oil has been proven to get inside the hair shaft.

lol me too
Yeah coconut oil and jojoba I seem to work out (at least for me)

Audhumla
October 22nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
lol nope. Native english speaker here and it made me chuckle :p

ccmso12
October 22nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
My mind was in the gutter when I read the title . . . .

Ive heard coconut oil and olive oil are the best . . .though my hair does not like very much of either :( Though it really likes jajoba.

Does anyone have thoughts on the 'penetration factor' of the butters??? Like Shea butter for example???

Nae
October 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Does anyone have thoughts on the 'penetration factor' of the butters??? Like Shea butter for example???

Bwahahaha! "Penetration Factor" sounds like a tv program that is probably not allowed to be on during prime time.:rollin:

At any rate, I don't have any idea. It is a good question. I have had success with Nightblooming's Panacea and I am sure it has some of the butters in it. (Can't remember which ones off the top of my head.) But I honestly don't know how well it penetrates the hair shaft.

els23
October 22nd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hahaha... love the thread title.

I personally find that olive oil works really well for my hair, though I've been too cheap to really try anything other than that and coconut oir (which I don't like that much in my hair).

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 22nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
Very dirty thoughts... Very dirty. >.>

Coconut oil does the trick for me!

pelicano
October 23rd, 2011, 08:13 AM
I almost feel bad that I did not take the thread title the wrong way for an instant, lol.

:D

I read it and thought 'now if this was on any other forum I'd wonder what they meant!' :D

pepperminttea
October 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
That's what she said. :p

Coconut oil does the job for me!

blondie9912
October 23rd, 2011, 03:43 PM
Coconut oil works well for me! Olive oil is also quite effective, but I find it to be too heavy/thick to use on my fine hair.

archel
October 23rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
OOH! Pepperminttea beat me to "that's what she said!" :cheese:

earthymamawitch
January 6th, 2012, 02:00 PM
i know this is a slightly old thread - but isn't argan oil also a penetrating oil?

ALongSummerWind
January 6th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I like EVOO:)

ktani
January 6th, 2012, 02:28 PM
i know this is a slightly old thread - but isn't argan oil also a penetrating oil?

Not a deeply penetrating one, no. It is relative.

This has been about oil that pentetrates the most deeply into hair - coconut - babassu - palm kernel. There are a few others - all centering around lauric acid and they can only penetrate hair that has no barrier coatings on it and only during shampooing with a shampoo that will not block lauric acid from doing so - or on clarified hair - with heat.

HintOfMint
January 6th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I realize giggling at this thread makes me a 12 year old.

... but in all seriousness, coconut oil is supposed to be the best for penetration.

.... Now I'm going to go giggle some more.

alyanna
January 6th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Coconut oil gives me crunchy hair unfortunately.

Olive oil is wonderfully softening but too greasy and I don't like the scent on me.

I'm finding almond oil is wonderful in my hair. It absorbs very well and makes my hair super-soft without the greasiness.

How's Almond Oil for penetration? :oops: :o

jojo
January 6th, 2012, 03:56 PM
:o ha ha the title:o whats the question again?......oh yeah I like EVOO I find it very moisturising and does the job! but I like lots of oils, well my hair does! grapeseed oil was a good one not used that in a while!

Long_hair_bear
January 6th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I like jojoba but don't know how penetrating it is. My hair seems to like it though. I've never tried any other kind of oil because my hair likes jojoba, and hey, if it's not broke, don't fix it! :D

Anje
January 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Not a deeply penetrating one, no. It is relative.
Now I'm giggling at "deep penetrators".... :disco:

leslissocool
January 6th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I'm not going to lie, I thought the tittle meant we were talking about vibrators :o I was kind of amused!

From what I know, coconut is one of them. Ktani thank you so much for that post! I'm going to try some others :cheese:

ktani
January 6th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm not going to lie, I thought the tittle meant we were talking about vibrators :o I was kind of amused!

From what I know, coconut is one of them. Ktani thank you so much for that post! I'm going to try some others :cheese:

You are very welcome.

oktobergoud
January 6th, 2012, 05:08 PM

LOL no you're not alone :P

Amber_Maiden
January 6th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I thought the thread title was a bit weird... I thought "Did LHC go XXX rated???"

Avocado works fine for my hair. As far as I know olive oil is also an oil that penetrates the hair shaft.

ktani
January 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I thought the thread title was a bit weird... I thought "Did LHC go XXX rated???"

Avocado works fine for my hair. As far as I know olive oil is also an oil that penetrates the hair shaft.

They can - minimally, not deeply and used over conditioned hair - no.

snowfaery
January 6th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I have several different oils available, but how does one coat the hair and then go to sleep without it ruining pillows and pillowcases?

The one time I oiled my hair at night I oiled it with olive oil, wrapped it in plastic and then covered with a huge bandana and it still leaked out all over my bedding. I've tried shower caps and even swimming caps and they all cause major leakage. I'd prefer not to ruin my bedding or my brand new satin pillowcases.

Rosethorn
January 6th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks guys. I needed a chuckle. Coconut oil for me, too. And it smells yummy.

Dragon Faery
January 6th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I have several different oils available, but how does one coat the hair and then go to sleep without it ruining pillows and pillowcases?

The one time I oiled my hair at night I oiled it with olive oil, wrapped it in plastic and then covered with a huge bandana and it still leaked out all over my bedding. I've tried shower caps and even swimming caps and they all cause major leakage. I'd prefer not to ruin my bedding or my brand new satin pillowcases.

The trick, if you don't want it everywhere, is to use an extremely small amount. A few drops, smoothed over your hands, and then smoothed through your hair. If your hair is thin or fine, you will probably need even less. If you want a deep treatment and want to use more, you will probably have to resign yourself to either getting it all over or not doing it at night. A towel or old piece of cloth over your pillowcase may help if you're using a lot of oil.

As for the basic thread question, I think my hair is weird. It's ok with coconut oil, but not for an extended period of time. Oils that are considered more "drying" seem to actually penetrate and moisturize my hair better. Avocado oil works, but Sweet Almond works better still. My hair has gotten very soft and shiny since I started using this.

Amazinggrace
January 7th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I have, just recentlym started using coconut oil. I think it is wonderful!

growingpains
January 7th, 2012, 02:05 AM
I'm impressed with those who have managed to answer this seriously and avoid the title.

Not gonna lie this thread has made me laugh out loud several times :)

*runs away before making any inappropriate comments*

jojo
January 7th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Now I'm giggling at "deep penetrators".... :disco: trying my hardest not too!!:p

Sissilonghair
January 7th, 2012, 08:32 AM
...jojoba and coconut oil are the best for my hair.

Lilhypsy
January 7th, 2012, 08:52 AM
First thought....pfffffttt my hubby!!
Second thought coconut oil LOL!

Aliora
January 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I use coconut oil. It works well and the smell is wonderful.

ericthegreat
January 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I love the thread title :whip:.

On a side note, many of these oils can also be used as a lubricant. :D

PixxieStix
January 7th, 2012, 01:02 PM
You know, I didn't even have a second thought on the thread title until I started reading ya'lls comments, you dirty minded folk you! :D ;)

As to my first thoughts when reading the title : Oh, well, coconut oil for sure, I mix it 50/50 with my shampoo and it makes my hair *amazing*, and I do weekly deep oil treatments with organic EVOO. It's heavy and takes a few shampoos to get the extra out of my hair, but leaves it very soft, smooth and shiny. I know the olive oil doesn't penetrate as deeply, but I think that's okay since I use coconut oil that gets to the cortex layer with my shampoo.

HintOfMint
January 7th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I love the thread title :whip:.

On a side note, many of these oils can also be used as a lubricant. :D

As long as the oils are not used with latex condoms, as the oil will degrade the latex and expose the wearer and wearee to increased risk of pregnancy and STDs. :p