PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! A BIG shedding going on! (from henna???)

DaniiL
October 22nd, 2011, 07:56 AM
I have been shedding like crazy lately! For 1,5 months it has been falling out loads! There is also a lot of breakage, dry and tangly hair. Hate this!
I haven't changed anything in my diet or hair care routine, nor have I been through any extra stress. I don't think it's just a seasonal thing, I've never been through anything like this before.
So my thought is, can it be the henna? I did try henna for the first time less than two months ago. Lush caca brun.
I thought it was suppose to make my hair stronger and less prone to breakage, but this is the very opposit!
Have you heard about this before? Has it happened to you? And WHAT shall I do now? This must stop! :)

Please help!

Albiryo
October 22nd, 2011, 08:00 AM
That sounds horrible!

I actually want to dye my hair with henna for the very first time tomorrow because I heard it makes the hair stronger and doesn´t damage it etc....

But now I have second thoughts.... :(

DaniiL
October 22nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
I don't know if it is the henna. It's just the only thing I've done different. Don't let this scare you! Most people who uses henna loves it.

chou
October 22nd, 2011, 09:07 AM
I kind had the same thing happen to me. When I used Lush caca brun according to the package directions it was so gritty and oily that it snarled up my hair badly and took 20 minutes of vigorous co-washing and shampooing to get it all out. I love the color it game me but the little bits of crud and thick, greasy consistency that set up into a hard shell on my head was frustrating. I got breakage and shedding from this one episode of mostly mechanical damage and there was a week or so of dryness afterwards from the product itself. Deep conditioning treatments helped me a lot. I didn't have the same sort of enduring problems that you're experiencing, though. I'm really sorry to hear about your trouble. Best of luck riding it out! Maybe a couple of soaks in really rich conditioner could help.

I did henna again after the first time, only this time I mixed a lot of conditioner, like 25%, into the henna mix to give me more slip during the application and removal. No breakage that time. I'm thinking of using straight henna and indigo powders next time. The Lush stuff caused too many snarls and was a nightmare to get out.

Tsopana
October 22nd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Like we've talked about in another thread, there's a seasonal shedding going on, it's happening to a lot of people.. Have you had any blood exams recently? Do you eat properly and take all the required proteins, vitamins and minerals? I can't personally link the henna to the shedding..

DaniiL
October 22nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
I did actually write in the "seasonal shedding thread" a couple of weeks ago, when I thought that might be it. But I'm not so sure anymore. I mean, why haven't I had a shed any other year? I didn't even notice shedding after my three pregnancies.
My hair is so strange now, dry and brittle and tangly.
But I think I must start taking some extra vitamins and minerals.

heidi w.
October 22nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
If the only "different" thing is the henna, then maybe yes, it's henna. What you are describing sounds a bit descriptive of protein overload. Given that it's suddenly, I am ruling out a thyroid condition has cropped up. But if this persists, consider getting a blood test to rule out thyroid condition. There are two kinds: hypo- and hyper-thryoid.

heidi w.

DaniiL
October 22nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
If the only "different" thing is the henna, then maybe yes, it's henna. What you are describing sounds a bit descriptive of protein overload. Given that it's suddenly, I am ruling out a thyroid condition has cropped up. But if this persists, consider getting a blood test to rule out thyroid condition. There are two kinds: hypo- and hyper-thryoid.

heidi w.

Thanks for the advices! I might check my thyroid conditions later.
But first, so henna can give a protein overload? How do I get rid of it?

DaniiL
October 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
Now I have read some more about protein overload.
Actually I have clarified my hair many times after the henna, (maybe even too much?), but I might not have been able to bring enough moisture back afterwards.
Must take time for a really looong deep treatment soon!

So do you think it's possible to fix it? I've been considering trimming 2-3 inches, because the ends feels so bad, but I rather not.
And can getting rid of protein overload really stop the shedding?

DaniiL
October 22nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
I have also been thinking; Maybe it'a not shedding, maybe it's all breakage!?!?

prosperina
October 22nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
The Lush henna has other things in it besides henna, so it could be one of the ingredients in the henna block.

DaniiL
October 22nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
The Lush henna has other things in it besides henna, so it could be one of the ingredients in the henna block.

Yes I know. When I wrote: "Could it has been the henna?", I meant more like: Could it have been the Lush caca brun treatment I did that has made
my hair shed and break?" :)

Roscata
October 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry to hear that this is happening to your hair. *big hugs*

If you want to do a deep moisture treatment I reccomend trying The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128). I hope your hair feels better.