PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone found themselves going back to plain old shampoo and conditioner?

hototogisu
October 22nd, 2011, 02:57 AM
About two weeks ago I woke up and my hair was feeling oily at the roots. I'd co-washed it the day before, hadn't oiled it as I usually do before shampoo, but I was feeling rebellious and just shampoo and conditioned it. Lo and behold, my hair felt GREAT.

Since then I've been shampoo and conditioning it every second day, brushing super thoroughly with a BBB, and CWCing on the second shampoo. My hair is looking shiny and happy and, importantly, it's shedding less.

This is kind of a shock to me. I've been exploring alternative hair care (co-washing, oiling etc) for years, and I was convinced it was helping, but after reading a few threads where people were concerned oiling and co-washing contributed to shedding I thought I'd just give old fashioned hair care a try.

It makes me a little sad. I really love doing that stuff. I just wanted to know if anyone else has found themselves going back to conventional hair care after trying LHC and other methods.

naereid
October 22nd, 2011, 04:46 AM
Yeah, after a couple of years of experimenting I recently went back to cones and SLS. I know what you mean about feeling sad. It feels a bit like I failed (even though you can't "fail" at something like that!) and it's frustrating to think of all the time and money I wasted on stuff like oils and special shampoos...

But eh, what's important is finding a good routine.

Mina17
October 22nd, 2011, 05:04 AM
Yes, me too! I CO'd all through this last summer until I realized my once-thick hair was getting alarmingly thin. I was shedding a lot in the shower and losing 4-5 hairs with each run of a comb through it. It could be that I wasn't clarifying enough and was getting build up on the scalp, but I also don't feel that I saw enough improvement in my hair to justify going back to CO. It never really got rid of the frizz and poofiness like I'd hoped it would. Gel seems to be the only thing that takes care of that on my hair.

Since adding shampoo back in the shedding has greatly decreased. Like you, I am alternating S+C with CWC and not washing every day (like I used to before LHC). I don't think I can do only conditioner on the lengths with every washing due to the heavy feeling it tends to give me. Since I don't intend to grow longer than BSL it might be that I can get away with that.

pepperpot
October 22nd, 2011, 05:09 AM
Yes me too. I learned a lot of alternative methods from other sites and from lurking here for over a year before I joined, and I tried lots of things, but mainly CO and oiling. Neither worked for me. They both made my hair a stringy, dull, greasy staticky mess whereas before it was silky and shiny, so I don't know why I bothered. Also oiling my hair caused severe and painful breakouts wherever my hair happened to touch my skin. I'm back to traditional shampoo and conditioner now, and my hair is happy once more. I guess these alternative methods work well for a lot of people but not everyone.

ETA: Oh yes forgot to say my shedding also increased alarmingly when I was trying conditioner only, and also scalp issues, but that has returned to normal now since returning to sls shampoo.

I really don't know why I bothered, I guess I was just curious, but when I had hip length hair for many years I used to use traditional shampoo and conditioner on a regular basis and my hair was in good condition, I always had loads of complements on the shine. So its not for everyone.

|Xei
October 22nd, 2011, 05:59 AM
S&C has always worked great for me, and is pretty much my default washing method. I do CO on occasion, when I want to preserve a semi-permanent hair colour, or if I feel like my hair could use the extra conditioning. But there seems to be a limit as to how long I can do it consistently without my hair going lifeless and limp. I'm guessing it might partly be a humidity thing. I've been CO-washing for the past few months without too much trouble, and it's only been recently, when the weather became exceptionally rainy, that I started feeling the build-up and heaviness. But anyway, getting back on track, S&C pretty much never fails on me. Occasionally, I do need extra conditioning, but DTs fix that right up for me.

Oiling/leave-ins, on the other hand, works for me, and my hair is a lot happier with it.

Lilli
October 22nd, 2011, 06:06 AM
I was just coming here to talk about this. I have nine zillion special (and some expensive) treatments in my shower. I have tried oil shampoo, poo bars, etc. And you know when my hair looks best? With some $3 Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner. It's shiny and swingy and lovely. I need to stop fighting it. Apparently my hair just likes some SLS and cones! I also should know better - I had BSL hair 10 years ago with the same routine (though Herbal Essences was different then! I miss the smell of the old Herbal Essences in the big chunky bottles.)

Maverick494
October 22nd, 2011, 06:24 AM
Me too. All the extra care and oils and such just made my hair dull and hard to handle. Now I'm back to my $2 shampoo and conditioner my hair looks just fine. It likes cones, apparently. I'm happy because it saves me a lot of money :D

Chuckleberry
October 22nd, 2011, 07:06 AM
I'm the same - I only joined this community recently having decided to grow my BSL hair another few inches and try to get it into better condition. After reading about the technique here I've been CO washing for about two months and I've lost sooo much hair! :( Back to the old ways for me I think!

Fethenwen
October 22nd, 2011, 07:11 AM
I do it from time to time :) But I have to keep changing my routine, if I use shampoo too often it starts to get oily at the roots and dry and static:y at the ends.

gabee
October 22nd, 2011, 07:29 AM
I think both S&C and more alternative methods have their pros and cons. Since June I've been experimenting with different methods, CO, CWC, poo bars, etc. I love CO but I can only do it 2 or 3 times in a row before my hair gets kind of dull. I find it takes away the shine I get from shampoo and conditioner. So now I wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner once or twice a week, and CO in between, and its been working really well for me. I only use sulfate free shampoo however, because I have noticed that SLS tends to dry my hair out a lot (I have Organix Coconut milk and Giovanni in my shower). Also since I've been staying away from SLS I've recently been able to go two days in between washes without looking like a greaseball!

I recently rediscovered cones also, I use a cone/protein leave in spray (mane and tail), and its been making my hair look nice and thick :)

But I still think SLS is kinda evil, I had a chemistry lab last week (I'm a chem major in university) and we used SLS in our process to make bug repellant (deet). That turned me off a bit...

hototogisu
October 22nd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Gabee - is that the Original Hair Strengthener? I'm after a protein treatment.

Raiscake
October 22nd, 2011, 08:09 AM
My hair seems to love regular SC washing. I'm experimenting right now with stretching washes to every other day and alternating between CO and SC wash. I can already tell that my hair isn't liking it very much. But I'm still on day 4 so maybe I'm just at the transition phase right now. I use to stretch my washes to three days with just SC washes and my bangs get so greasy by the third day. Humid climate might have something to do with it.

In any case, it seems I'll have to go back to my pre-LHC routine of SC wash every other day. I think it'd be cheaper that way too.

Zesty
October 22nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
I brought my old faithful Head and Shoulders back about a month ago after trying CO and SLS-free shampoo. My scalp was getting flaky and didn't feel clean, and somehow CO was affecting my ends and making them crunchy and weird (even though I was using the same conditioner on the length). CO works for me once, then the second time is iffy but manageable, and a third time is just a bad idea. So what I've been doing lately (my schedule varies a lot depending on my life and how my hair is being) is COing Tuesday/Thursday, then S&C on Saturday. My hair and scalp are a lot happier, even though H&S has sulfates AND cones in it. :shrug:

So I do CO sometimes, but not religiously, and I still do use jojoba oil on my ends after a wash, but I decided that Head and Shoulders worked, so I should use it. I will say that I think my summertime minimal shampooing experiment has helped me stretch washes. Even from a CO, two days in it's perfectly fine, and after a shampoo I can go three or four days. It's nice, because after washing my hair is unhappy until it's completely dry.

Sarahmoon
October 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM
I tried several more natural, SLS free shampoos. After two months of 1-2 washes a week I still had greasy patches in my hair after washing with this shampoo, so I came here and asked how long it should take before your hair adjust. Turns out that shampoo just wasn't working for me. I tried several different brands but all the same result: they don't get my hair clean, I do need SLS :?

I do like no cone conditioners, occasional oils and vinegar rinses though :D

Madora
October 22nd, 2011, 08:24 AM
Never saw the need to do anything but shampoo and condition as needed and didn't experiement with new techniques or products. The thing is, you do have to be consistent and thorough about rinsing. I also diluted both products.

Bottom line: a shampoo is supposed to cleanse your hair and a conditioner conditions it. I want a clean scalp and using a conditioner as a washing agent doesn't make sense. This business of having to clarify your hair because of buildup problems seems like so much wasted effort when it could be avoided if you used a good shampoo and rinsed well afterwards.

Of course several members here have had wonderful results with CO...but I don't have that kind of patience! Guess I've been lucky using my GM products all these years!:)

Honestwitness
October 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
I've noticed that most of the posters in this thread have F hair. Me too. I do much better with cheap Suave S and C every time I get my hair wet in the shower. I S/C every two or three days.

younghippie
October 22nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Yep! I am so here!
I've actually been here for quite a while and I think I've tried most things on the site in the numerous years I have been a member.
However now that my hair is getting long-long again (it's at BCL again!) I just shampoo and condition occasionally skipping a day or two a week when I work and it is pointless to wash my hair. I just use Herbal Essences for the most part. My hair has never been happier. It amazes me because I have spent the last few years trying everything under the sun that's natural and my body loves the synthetic stuff, go figure.
I feel like a cheat here sometimes. Everyone else here takes such good care of the hair and all I do is wash it with harsh chemicals and stick it up. I've even bleached and dyed my hair and it seems healthy with few split ends.
It's great to know that there are others who like their poo and condish!

hototogisu
October 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
I feel so much better after reading these responses! I think my scalp just *needs* to be cleaned frequently. I actually SC'd with some Nioxin System 4 I had stashed in the back of my cupboard, and after my success I ordered some more from Strawberrynet.

I do think CWCing makes a big difference to my lengths, though. Plus I conditioned with a mixture of Inecto Coconut Oil conditioner and Garnier Triple Nutrition. I'm going to give this routine a month to see if my circumference increases at all.

I also had a pro-trim a couple of days ago. What has become of me? Shampoo? Hair cuts? Will I be banished from LHC? (j/k!)

Lilli
October 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
I've noticed that most of the posters in this thread have F hair. Me too. I do much better with cheap Suave S and C every time I get my hair wet in the shower. I S/C every two or three days.

I think it is a fine hair thing, too. Fine hair cannot handle anything heavy and it does need to be cleaned so as to not look stringy and dull. I also like Suave, esp. the ocean scent. I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and they had such great new scents that my regular grocery doesn't have!

cindy58
October 22nd, 2011, 09:07 AM
I think "plain old shampoo and conditioner" and in general washing when you feel the need to is fine. I admit I have a variety (clog of bottles) under my vanity that I rotate through on whim, but that's all I do, with the addition of diluting my shampoo. I use as much shampoo as I feel necessary, I don't confine myself to a tsp or anything like that.

swearnsue
October 22nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
These are some things I've learned that work for sure:
1. Dilute shampoo
2. Comb and brush gently
3. Use a silk pillowcase
4. Use dilute vinegar and water before final rinse

long
October 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
I tried CO and lasted about a week my scalp was so itchy and unhappy. I do find a very tiny bit of coconut oil on the ends is helpful otherwise I SC everyday. I hope to stretch wash a day when my hair gets longer. My scalp is oily and really likes to be clean and I love the feel and smell of clean hair. Lucky too my hair dries fast.

ktani
October 22nd, 2011, 10:04 AM
More members here than one thinks just use shampoo and conditioner.

The posts are just not as prominent as threads on alternative product uses and treatments.

I could not find a conditioner that I was ever really happy with using. When I thought I did, it was improperly formulated and the result was a permanent sentiization to a major conditioner ingredient and my previously not overly sensitive scalp is now sensitive in degrees to a number of ingredients.

I believe shampoo is necessary for a healthy scalp (washing herbs work too) because detergents conventional or natural or soaps remove unwanted bacteria and can keep certain infections from starting.

It is just like cleansing the body. Scalp hygiene is necessary for scalp health.

I am not saying conditioner only washing cannot achieve the same. I am just not convinced that it is as effective.

spidermom
October 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
I didn't experiment much after finding CWC with diluted shampoo gives consistent good results. I also use coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment, so I guess I can't say I'm strictly shampoo and conditioner, but close. I also like a little coney serum from time to time.

heidi w.
October 22nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
I plain ole use shampoo and conditioner, and that's it, now. I hardly ever oil even. It's too far to drive to get a hold of my favorite oil, Spectrum Natural's Coconut Oil.

I've always been a shampoo/condition gal. It works and I don't mess with what works.

This area has very hard water, so I did soften the water. An old friend of mine gave me a softener as a housewarming gift. I miss him; he was a neat friend.

heidi w.

Polgarra
October 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM
A real eye opener to me was the thread that lists a number of the polls about who is doing what. It showed that a smaller number of people engage in ' non traditional' methods of hair washing. Before seeing that I assumed that everyone was doing it. Now I have a more realistic view.

duchesswannabe
October 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
I too use cheap, ordinary shampoo and conditioner. I seem to respond better to the Suave Mango conditioner than the V05 conditioner I had been using for years. I am currently washing with vastly diluted V05 shampoo (sulfates, and I have different V05 formulations--clarifying, smoothing, balancing-- that I rotate until I use 'em all up; then I'll consider non-sulfate shampoos) and diluted Suave conditioner, mixing them together and pouring them on my scalp and scrubbing it. Sometimes I'll add a little more conditioner to my scalp and scrub some more. Then I rinse.

After having my hair up in a towel for a while (no rubbing), I tried taking some of the conditioner on my fingers, putting water on it, mixing together on my hands as if I were using lotion, and quickly running it through my hair. It seems to alleviate some of the unruliness; my hair is just naturally coarse and frizzy by today's standards, and I'm not going to bend over backwards to change it. I don't like oil on my hair; tried it.

I tried just CO washing once, as I mentioned on my Possible Breakthrough on Frizziness thread a while back, but after 4 days (I wash once a week), I hated how heavy my hair felt.

archel
October 22nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
I'm all about the S and C. I do use a low poo from Giovanni and the condish has no cones, but then afterwards I've been putting on a coney serum so whatever...LOL My hair is now shiny and I can comb it and braid it easier.

Nae
October 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Sometimes I go with shampoo bars, but not as much anymore. Now I feel like S and C work just fine. I still stay away from the cones though because I like wearing my hair up and it makes things so slippery that every hair toy I own tries to escape.

Melisande
October 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'm like Spidermom. CO wash was not for me, I didn't try it for longer than a week, but CWC was a great revelation. I dilute shampoo and conditioner and don't use cones. I use coconut oil as pre-wash treatment, do deep treatments from time to time (conditioner, honey, oil), rinse with citric acid - but I still use shampoo and conditioner. I just added other things to my routine and learned to tweak it. That's what LHC and the German boards taught me. I learned to read ingredient lists and learned to listen to my hair and skin.

So I don't think that the message is: throw away everything you had before and start from scratch differently. You can experiment, switch between alternative and conventional methods etc. Just listen to your hair ;-) That's what I take to be the LHC message.

MagicAndMayhem
October 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
I did CO for a while and my hair/scalp did not like no cones and no SLS.

verene
October 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Regular shampoo and condition is what I do the majority of the time. I'll occasionally CO (no more than twice in a row) if I need to stretch a shampoo wash out... I do like using CWC when my hair starts feeling dry and/or frizzy but this is a "when I feel like it" thing, not my regular mode.

Delila
October 22nd, 2011, 02:39 PM
I played around with lots of options for quite a few years. I kept a journal here, documenting most of it. Had fun, but one of the things I did was note the results as my hair dried, actually looking in the mirror at my hair from the back, to see how it looked, how it wore across the day, etc.

For me, shampoo scalp/condition length with creme rinse to help with detangling is pretty much it now. Having kept track so closely, for such a long time, I'm pretty much convinced that this simple routine is fine for me.

I do use a bit of oil, and spritz with a bit of water on my length as I'm making an updo, the very longest bit of my hair does seem to appreciate the extra pampering.

I've kind of moved away from any more elaborate routine. I like playing with deep conditioners, but really, I'm not sure how much they do.

I will say, though, that I got good results both from make-it-yourself herbal haircare, and from the Morrocco Method shampoos, but I just didn't have the interest in maintaining either one of those routines. S&C is so simple.

Lostsoule77
October 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
I actually had so much 2in1 shampoo on hand that I haven't tried CO yet. I use the 2in1, rinse, condition, rinse. I have stretched my washes to once a week and added a pre-wash coconut oiling at least once a month. Seems to be working well so far. 99% of the the time I'm one of those if it ain't broke don't fix it kinda gals.

Once I run out of my 2in1 I think I will try coing since it seems to work really well for curlies. I'm not sure if I can go sls and cone free, though I will try. My current cond is, but the 2in1 isn't. Growing up we always used cheap shampoo & conditioner like Suave. My hair was a tangled mess. Once I could afford to buy my own stuff I switched to Pantene (yup) and have never looked back. We'll see how it goes eventually, but I have a strong suspicion I might end up like you guys back on my sc & c routine. :)

Nobody
October 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
I've been CO for 11 months and it greatly reduced my shedding. I only recently have begun to have moderate shedding again but that's probably due to massive stress, illness, and nutrient deficiencies. Biotin seemed to eliminate the fall shedding until I stopped remembering to take it... My hair is still much better than it ever was before CO! Shinier, smoother, cleaner (I know that seems weird but it's true), and stronger. I switch between two conditioners: tresemmé soft and shiny (I think it's the cone-free one but not 100% sure) and Whole Foods brand cone-free. The Whole Foods one is superb for clarifying. The tresemmé seems to work best when my hair is too dull or falling out. I find it helps to use each one at least once per week, and possible wash a couple times with just water or use a BBB if it's getting unusually greasy.

Deborah
October 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Of course.

I have not because my hair does wonderfully well without S&C, but it is up to each person to judge their own hair.

Kelikea
October 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM
No, shampoo makes my head itch and my skin fall off. So glad I learned that I don't need shampoo after all. But, hey, if it works for you, then do it. And my CO is only $.79 so its not expensive!

MaryRose
October 22nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
I tried skipping washes, COing and sulphate free shampoos. I ran out the expensive stuff and just bought plain old shampoo and conditioner to get me through the week. What a difference, my hair is looking better than it has in the last few months. I think I will be switching back to shampoo and conditioner.

celebriangel
October 22nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
....not for me.

My hair is a total moisture junkie, to the extent where using shampoo - even SLS free - means I need to do a rich SMT with plenty of oil to make my hair nice afterwards.

Additionally, cones make my hair tangly, and take away my curls.

But I have awkward, curly/wurly hair, and I definitely can't expect everyone's hair to respond like mine!

Dogmatix
October 22nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
What a very interesting thread!

After reading a lot of the advice on these boards, I decided to start out slow and just do CWC. Used up all of my old "bad" products and found some sulfate and cone free ones to use. Still CWCing and have vastly reduced my split ends. My hair feels a lot healthier now, as it's much less dry and crunchy.

I'd been feeling a little embarrassed about not moving on to oils, CO, WO, -something- more elaborate but it just didn't feel necessary.

So I don't think that the message is: throw away everything you had before and start from scratch differently. You can experiment, switch between alternative and conventional methods etc. Just listen to your hair ;-) That's what I take to be the LHC message.
I agree :)

gabee
October 22nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
Gabee - is that the Original Hair Strengthener? I'm after a protein treatment.

Yes it is, I quite like it, but I can see that if overused it could cause some protein overload. I think its better than doing a full blown deep protein treatment, because you can control how much you use and how often.

Delila
October 22nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
... So I don't think that the message is: throw away everything you had before and start from scratch differently. You can experiment, switch between alternative and conventional methods etc. Just listen to your hair ;-) That's what I take to be the LHC message.

This is so true.

I had fun playing with other stuff, but it's not essential.

Finding out what REALLY works for YOUR hair and scalp (and budget) and sticking with it over the long haul, that's what works.

Benign maintenance, it seems to me, is a better way to describe what I do.

Daily gentle detangling, protective styles, gentle cleansing, reasonable amounts of conditioning, and not getting snip happy with the shears. Brushing my scalp when I think about it (I never do it when my hair is even damp, and sometimes get in the shower without brushing).

Enthusiastic experimentation and radical changes can be useful, educational, and even necessary, for some, but moving more slowly, or reverting back to something truly simple is just fine too.

amberpotamus
October 22nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
I like to have other stuff (herbs, oils, etc.) to play with when I feel like it, but I'm a pretty big fan of S/C. I don't do SLS because I do have a sensitivity--which sadly I probably wouldn't have even ever realized if they didn't put SLS in toothpaste. I was getting this hideously painful blisters on my gums. I finally read that SLS can cause that in those with a sensitivity to it, bought some SLS free toothpaste (surprisingly really had to find--there are only about three or four kinds of the vast array in most stores) and voila, no more blisters. I don't know for sure that it was doing anything really bad to my scalp, but if it could do that to my gums, I figured I should just avoid it.
But I really like the shampoo I use. And sometimes a girl just wants to smell like strawberries or cupcakes or candy, and not the gardening section of Home Depot.

pelicano
October 23rd, 2011, 08:10 AM
Yes, I pretty much came full circle too. I haven't really used SLS shampoos much for years, but after reading and researching, I tried cutting out shampoo for four months. During this time my hair was the dryest it has ever been.

Pumpkin
October 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Yes, I am back to shampoo (SLS) and a coney conditioner. Everyday. I still air dry my hair.

I have tried extending shampooing which left me with a greasy, itchy scalp. I've tried CO...same thing happened. Even sulfate free shampoos left my scalp and hair in terrible condition after awhile. Hey, what I am doing now, may not work for me in the long run, who knows??

It is true...everyone is different and everyone's hair care routine is different. That is what I like about being on LHC...you can share your ideas about hair care and not be belittled if your routine is not the popular opinion.

Ligeia_13
October 23rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
YES! I recently posted about it somewhere else on this forum too. Six months of trying all kinds of treatments and washing methods. And now I'm back to shampoo and conditioner once a week, followed by some coconut oil on the ends. And that's it :D

Corvus
October 23rd, 2011, 09:43 AM
Well, I hate to say this 'cause I really want the shampoo bars to work for me, but I have noticed a lot more split ends since I started using them, and I seem to be shedding a lot more than normal. I can't say 100% that it's the bars and ACV, but that's the only thing I've changed in the last year.

I'm really, really tempted to go back to regular shampoo.........

wandlimb
October 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
I haven't actually tried anything else! My hair is fine too and gets greasy so quick I have to wash it regularly and shampoo has always done the job. I don't really want to experiment because I don't want my hair to look awful. The only thing I've changed as my hair gets longer is using more conditioner. I did try shampoo bars and cone-free stuff but my hair snarls up terribly with them so it's back to cones for me.

Babyfine
October 23rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Co is great for some but I could never get it to work for me.
Plus I had scalp buildup after about 8 months(maybe I wasn't doing it right)
I now CWC every2-3 days alternating between Nioxin and a gentle low poo(giovanni right now).

BlazingHeart
October 23rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
I would never have moved away from my SLS, coney 2-in-1 except that I developed a SLS sensitivity. Ugh. Maybe once they figure my current medical confusion out, my scalp will calm down enough for me to use it again. I mean, I like my 'poo bars, but they're a lot more work!

~Blaze

ktani
October 23rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
I would never have moved away from my SLS, coney 2-in-1 except that I developed a SLS sensitivity. Ugh. Maybe once they figure my current medical confusion out, my scalp will calm down enough for me to use it again. I mean, I like my 'poo bars, but they're a lot more work!

~Blaze

Are you sensitive to ALS (ammonium lauryl sulfate)?

After my disaster with that conditioner I became sensitive to ALS when I had not been before, and I am fine with SLES.

There is also ammonium laureth sulfate which is milder than ALS.

nobeltonya
October 23rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Yes!!! I keep trying different things to stop using so much shampoo [daily washer], and I end up going right back to it... like today I co-washed, and now my hair is GROSS [washed at like 5 this morning, but still.. didn't last long]. It looked nice this morning, was shiny and soft.. now, oily and limp. I also have a much easier time combing my hair when it's freshly washed, especially now that I'm conditioning afterward [wasn't for the longest time]. But I have noticed that my scalp was getting rather itchy and dry, as it's getting colder outside. So, I'm just going to oil my scalp every day and length every other day [so it doesn't build up too much]. Fixed. :)

DuckyDot
October 23rd, 2011, 05:19 PM
Yes! I tried everything. But what works best for me is:
Lush Soak and Float Poo Bar (lovely SLS!) and Lush American Cream (Cone free but has SLS) I need to get a more nourishing conditioner however, so I might try veganese.

I simply oil my hair the night/morning before with coconut oil, then wash with the Shampoo, apply conditioner, comb with fine-tooth comb and scritch scalp (I have seborrheic dermatitis) and rinse. Then I apply styling products.

Before I was doing all sorts. Now my routine is the same! CO left my scalp disgusting. But my curls looked nice, but they got very built up. Not worth the effort!

mimi1153
October 23rd, 2011, 06:19 PM
Yes. I have and have also gone back to brushing.... my hair is doing so much better. I don't brush wet, but I do brush thoroughly daily. My hair is much happier; my ends are no longer dry and brittle and my hair just feels much better. :) Whatever it takes, right?! :cheese:

LisaMonster
October 23rd, 2011, 06:47 PM
I'm thinking of trying it, or at least alternating CWC with CO.

I have a thousand bottles of sulfate free shampoos and cone free conditioners in my shower. Every time I wash my hair, I try some new sort of combination of them, and very occasionally, it works out well.

The last time I washed my hair, I was FED UP with experimenting, and just stole some of my roommate's normal drugstore shampoo with sulfates and my hair felt so wonderful. I was like, "What the hell am I doing?"

Keller1128
October 23rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Yes! I have made some good changes since coming here though. I only wash 4 times a week and have stopped blow drying and straightening. I no longer brush my hair when wet either. I tried CO washing but it made my scalp break out and my hair felt heavy. I still use jojoba oil (found that my hair get kind of crunchy with coconut) sometimes though. Oh and I CWC every wash unless I'm clarifying.

racrane
October 23rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
I have definitely made changes to my routine since coming here. However, I have discovered my hair loves CWC and doesn't care for CO on a regular basis. That's about it. I do some oiling on rough hair days but other than that, I'm good.

fairystar32
October 23rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
I use natural as possible, chemically free as possible hair shampoo and conditoner. I tried CO and not washing, water only, bicarb and vinegar and poo bars but good old shampoo and conditoner work best for my hair :)

fairystar32
October 23rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Also gone back to using my haidryer and my hair is MUCH better!

starlamelissa
October 23rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
I don't experiment anymore. I found what I like, and found out why I like it.

I like using my suave clarifying or unscented baby shampoo.

I like my tresseme smooth n silky, the secret is the ingredient cyclopentasiloxane. Any condish with that in the top 5 ingredients works super great for me. It's like a super cone.

Paul Mitchell the conditioner... For the smell and detangling.

Oil when I want or remember.

Easy.

luthien_belewen
October 23rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
This is me. S&C with basic products just works the best for my hair. SLS-free and "alternative" methods just does not get my scalp clean. I would love to be able to consistently use shampoo bars, because I think they're so fun! But, I can only get my hair to look nice for a few weeks until it just gets gunky from the soap, and vinegar doesn't help :( I think people should just do whatever makes their hair happy!

jaine
October 23rd, 2011, 08:47 PM
I might be going back to shampoo and silicone. I did that today and my hair feels sooooooo soft and tangle-free...I love it.
Last time I used silicone I thought it was "drying my hair out" - because when I didn't use it, my hair was a tangly mess - but now I know that's just my hair type. It's wurly and curly and quite tangly. But silicone makes it so brushable and soft.

Quetiepi
October 24th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have always used shampoo & conditioner on my hair. Now that I'm older, my scalp isn't as oily as it once was, and so I wash two times a week. I air dry and get fabulous results. I've been using suave shampoo for many years because the price was always right! I cannot imagine putting oil on my hair. I would think that oiling your hair would make your pillow greasy. Ick.

xoerincolleen
October 24th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Yep. I did CO for a while and gave up heat, but this semester, I'm studying abroad and had to go back to regular coney shampoo and conditioner. My hair looks fantastic! When I did CO, I shed a lot and it just wasn't shiny. I was so surprised by how soft my hair is now, once I went back to a "normal" conditioner. I don't think I'm going back to CO anytime soon!

elfgirl
October 26th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I went in and got my hair trimmed today...the ends were terrible, and were starting to split. My hairdresser took one look at my unbraided hair and said "You see here how it's wavy and shiny (she motioned to the majority of my hair) and then down here how it's flat, dull and thin? (she pointed to the 4 or so inches of ends) That's all dead hair." I told her how I'd tried coconut oil, adding more protein, etc. She said that coconut oil helped to keep the hair moisturised, and that I should definitely continue to use it, but that I made the right decision to get it trimmed :')

She asked me what shampoo I was using, and I told her it was some lavender oily to normal type of shampoo from whole foods. She said that given the fine-ness of my hair, I might want to consider going back to a regular S&C. I wasn't sure at first, but then after talking with her a bit, decided to give it a try.

I now have enough shampoo and conditioner to last me at least a year :P and am looking forward to seeing how my hair goes (and grows) over the next few months. I felt kind of bad, almost like I was giving up on the other methods, but will do the S&C for a month, see what happens, and then maybe try CO, continuing with coconut oil, too :)

owlathena
October 26th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I recently switched from CO to shampooing every 3 days or so. My hair is softer and all around happier.

Nevermore
October 26th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I sometimes S&C, it depends on what my hair seems to need. When it was hip length, I did mostly scalp washes with shampoo and conditioner only for everything else. Now that it's roughly shoulder length with old bleach and now black dye, I usually conditioner only for a few weeks after I dye it, to combat the drying effect of the dye, then do S&C for a few days if it gets greasy/limp and switch between those as needed.

I've done every kind of "alternative" hair routine, including no water/sebum only. Different things work for different people, whatever makes you and your hair happy :)

pepperminttea
October 26th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I was wondering about this. I've been messing about with amodimethicone recently and I really have missed the 'cone-y slip and the weight, though my ends aren't thanking me for it one bit, and my natural wave is very much deflated (but my ends are old, and my natural wave doesn't normally see the light of day after being sleep braided anyway). I have a stock of 'cone-free conditioners that will take me some months to get through, but when I'm running low, I think I might just say 'sod it' and try a matching sulphate and silicone shampoo and conditioner, and hope my scalp doesn't freak out too much.

XcaliburGirl
October 26th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I think most people get excited by all the options on here. Also going "natural" seems nobler than just using the cheapest SC they find at the drugstore. Then, of course, there are plenty of people who do in fact find another method that works better for them.

I think one of the reasons I cut my hair was that I got frustrated by all the experiments I was trying. (Not the only reason, though.) Now that I've sort of reset and found a routine I can do without thinking about it, I feel like I can handle grow it out again without a big hassle.

I tried Shampoo Bars, CO, CWC, and stretching washes. From all that I did learn that my scalp likes any type of shampoo daily, but hates 'cones. My hair like 'cones, but it changes the texture a bit. However, I think without them I was getting more ponytail holder damage. Finally, shampoo that is too drying (sulfates or not) causes frizz.

I've settled on a sulfate-free 'cone-free shampoo(Loreal EverSleek) and conditioner(GF Triple Nutrition), but we'll see how that continues to work as my hair grows out again. I will probably do CWC with those and use some 'coney styling product or serum on the length for added protection.

Lilli
October 26th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I have been alternating HE Drama Clean S&C with HE LTR S&C and loving it. Go figure.

Chetanlaiho
October 26th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I'm considering going back to it. I was a happy CO-er for months but I started shedding during summer and I'm quite desperate to find something that stops it now :/

I hate how shampoo makes my hair feel (dry) but it does behave better >_<

jujube
October 26th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I'm considering going back to it because I seem to just fail with every routine I try.

UP Lisa
October 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Has the Nioxin helped you, Babyfine?

Co is great for some but I could never get it to work for me.
Plus I had scalp buildup after about 8 months(maybe I wasn't doing it right)
I now CWC every2-3 days alternating between Nioxin and a gentle low poo(giovanni right now).

lapushka
October 26th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Even though CWC is not bad, CO is terrible (just not my thing). I haven't even strayed from SC much at all.

ssjhotau2
October 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM
My hair doesn't like CO- I thought maybe I was doing it wrong since so many people loved it and I KNOW that even SLS free shampoo shocks my hair because it usually takes all day for the poofy/frizzies to go away after I wash. But the conditioner made my hair feel both dry (crunchy ends) and kinda gunky and I used Yes to Carrots, V05, Giovanni.. none of them convinced me that CO was for me.

However- CWC with Coconut Oil pre-wash has helped my hair a bit in that its not so frizzy anymore.

I don't know that I can ever really go back to SLS and Cones. I remember loving my hair back in the day, but now when I use cones (which I do occasionally) my hair just doesn't look or feel good anymore.

UP Lisa
October 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
For those of you who use SLS-free shampoos, may I ask which ones you use?

intothemist1999
October 26th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Yes...mostly.

However, they still have to meet my criteria:
-vegan
-no animal testing
-SLS free
-cone free
-gluten free

Fortunately I have a few I really like even with those limitations!

I still use coconut oil or coconut milk as my first "C" of a CWC. Sometimes I'll use a bar for the shampoo.

ETA: I the winter, if my hair is really dry or frizzy or if I know I won't have to skip the next day's wash (usually I do every other day), then I might do a CO using diluted conditioner.

However, the coconut milk/oil is enough usually to make the ends look nice and not so frizzy, as is a lemon juice rinse, so I rarely CO any more.

Malibu Barbie
October 26th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I use my same shampoo and conditioner. I tried the CWC. My hairdresser knew I had changed something because my hair had become so dry. I went back to my same routine after that. She told me that too much conditioner can also dry out the hair and to be very careful.

Babyfine
October 26th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Has the Nioxin helped you, Babyfine?

I think it's helped somewhat,it's expensive so I sometimes have to rotate it with other products plus I find it a tad drying so I like to alternate with a gentle loo poo which probably doesn't help either.
The literature says that results only come with consistent use of the cleanser, scalp therapy and scalp treatment.
I think my hair may just be genetically thin, too.

Lissandria
October 26th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Coconut shampoo hasn't worked for me, I've had inconsistent results with CO- not given up entirely but not sure it will ever be reliable for me. CWC with pre soak in coconut oil and pre scalp massage with nettle tea + coconut oil as leave in works best for me.

Maelyssa
October 26th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I started a very similar thread many months ago about the same idea. It's funny how sometimes you spend months & years doing tons of experiments & trying out all sorts of things only to one day, whether purposeful or by chance, go back to plain old shampoo & conditioner & get great results from it.
Ironic, huh?!

Yamainu
October 26th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'm another S&C lover! When I first joined I tried everything under the sun, but the only thing that consistently works is CWC! I do need to switch brands every month or so, but the last year I've just been bouncing back and forth between Garnier and Suave.

I think my combination of oily skin, fine hair, and hard water made success with anything else pretty much impossible.

Well, I still occasionally use coconut oil...

hypersensitive
October 27th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Another one here. I'm back to S&C, albeit with an addition of AVC rinse at the end. I mean I tried CWC and CO. They didn't do anything bad but they didn't give me any drastic beneficial changes either. If the system ain't broke, don't fix it! lol

skyblue
October 27th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I had lurked here for a long while then tried to join and back then a hot mail account was not accepted, then the site went poof, during that time I went back to my old routine my hair got progressively drier on the ends and looking pretty crappy last January, I googled LHC just for the heck of it and surprise surprise there it was!!! So I joined tried oils again til I found one that worked, tried ACV and loved it! And found that CWC works best for me with an occasional length wash, I found out that shampoo is great for the top of my head but my length needs way less and this also helped with stretching my washes to once a week now with no real greasiness going on at the roots
I guess for me anyway S&C alone is just bad lol but at least now I know what my hair likes ;)

janeytilllie
October 27th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I went through many hair experiments which included

shampoo bars
Herb only
CWC with SLS free products and coneless conditioners
Egg washing
Water only
Combs only
S an d every day
Co washing
etc ....

Now I wash with cheap sls Shampoo and coney conditons 2 X a week, brush my hair and trim every 6 months. My hair is so happy :D

UP Lisa
October 27th, 2011, 06:17 AM
This really doesn't make any sense. I don't see any way that CWC can be bad for hair.

I use my same shampoo and conditioner. I tried the CWC. My hairdresser knew I had changed something because my hair had become so dry. I went back to my same routine after that. She told me that too much conditioner can also dry out the hair and to be very careful.

UP Lisa
October 27th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Do you have relatives with thin hair? Some of my Mother's aunts had really, really thin baby-fine hair. I've been so glad mine isn't as bad as theirs. I did get my Mother's hair, though. Baby fine. She has more hair in the front, though. I've always been jealous of that. Mine is so thin in the front and sides.

I think it's helped somewhat,it's expensive so I sometimes have to rotate it with other products plus I find it a tad drying so I like to alternate with a gentle loo poo which probably doesn't help either.
The literature says that results only come with consistent use of the cleanser, scalp therapy and scalp treatment.
I think my hair may just be genetically thin, too.

Babyfine
October 27th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Do you have relatives with thin hair? Some of my Mother's aunts had really, really thin baby-fine hair. I've been so glad mine isn't as bad as theirs. I did get my Mother's hair, though. Baby fine. She has more hair in the front, though. I've always been jealous of that. Mine is so thin in the front and sides.

My Mom is Scandanavian and was naturally blond in her youth and has fine hair but it used to be more abundant than mine. At my age she had thicker, fuller, hair than I do now.. My Dad's hair is babyfine but he keeps it cut very short so it's hard to tell how thin it would be he's never had it any longer than a short man's cut.
One brother has M type hair, my other brother has F hair and curly but is balding in back. My hair has always been very fine but I had more in my teens and early 20's. I lost about 1/3 of my volume between ages 25-30 and never regained it.
I was on BCP for 15 years from around 18 to early 30's but I don't know if that was it or something else. I will say the Nioxin is great for the scalp, my scalp always feels so clean but not stripped after I shampoo with it.

UP Lisa
October 27th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I also have an oily scalp, fine hair and hard water.

I'm another S&C lover! When I first joined I tried everything under the sun, but the only thing that consistently works is CWC! I do need to switch brands every month or so, but the last year I've just been bouncing back and forth between Garnier and Suave.

I think my combination of oily skin, fine hair, and hard water made success with anything else pretty much impossible.

Well, I still occasionally use coconut oil...

UP Lisa
October 27th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Well, BCP's can certainly cause hair loss, but it should come back. Who knows, though, after being on them for so long.

I noticed recently that my hair is not as thick as it was a few years ago when I started here. Could be a number of things, but it's freaking me out. My Mother did not mention her hair thinning until she was probably 70. I'm only 50, and not even going through menopause yet.

My Mom is Scandanavian and was naturally blond in her youth and has fine hair but it used to be more abundant than mine. At my age she had thicker, fuller, hair than I do now.. My Dad's hair is babyfine but he keeps it cut very short so it's hard to tell how thin it would be he's never had it any longer than a short man's cut.
One brother has M type hair, my other brother has F hair and curly but is balding in back. My hair has always been very fine but I had more in my teens and early 20's. I lost about 1/3 of my volume between ages 25-30 and never regained it.
I was on BCP for 15 years from around 18 to early 30's but I don't know if that was it or something else. I will say the Nioxin is great for the scalp, my scalp always feels so clean but not stripped after I shampoo with it.

irisheyes
October 27th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I read this thread last night and you all got me thinking, so off I went to shampoo and condish with good old Suave. Today my hair is soft, silky, and wavy like it should be. It's raining here, 93&#37; humidity, and I should be having a bad hair day, but I'm not. Will wonders never cease...

lapushka
October 27th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I also have an oily scalp, fine hair and hard water.

Same here.

Malibu Barbie
October 27th, 2011, 01:02 PM
This really doesn't make any sense. I don't see any way that CWC can be bad for hair.

My hairdresser said it wasn't right for everyone (Me for one). My hair was dryer she nocticed it, I said nothing to her. She is a professional and I tend to listen when shes talking about my hair. I've heard many people on hear complain, "This oil dried out their hair and didn't work". It happens.

I'm sorry, it makes no sense to you but that doesn't mean its wrong. Others may have had the same thing happen and moved on to another kind of routine. CWC dried out my hair so I stopped using it.

ktani
October 27th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I can see CWC working well if one clarifies their hair regularly. Otherwise to me it is adding build-up to build-up, especially with so many cosmetic companies adding conditioning ingredients that build-up to shampoo, even some clarifying shampoos.

RitaPG
October 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Conditioner, shampoo, baking soda, herbs... There's nothing wrong with any of these except for the fact that not all hair types get along with them equally well. You have to find out what product works best for you, or even balance different products/routines; I go between CO washes and regular shampoo+conditioner washes, use oils often, and my hair and scalp have never been better :)

fairystar32
October 27th, 2011, 04:13 PM
If I am skint, I use the cheap couple of $$ organic ones from the supermarket, expecially when its henna day :)
which are free from lots of stuff

Otherwise we use

Moogoo
akin
one from the salon which has many 'free froms' including sulphates/parabens etc..
(its upstairs will check the name later)

we also go in the health food shop, we have tried a few from there, just read on the back, it tells you what its free from :)

For those of you who use SLS-free shampoos, may I ask which ones you use?

Babyfine
October 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Well, BCP's can certainly cause hair loss, but it should come back. Who knows, though, after being on them for so long.

I noticed recently that my hair is not as thick as it was a few years ago when I started here. Could be a number of things, but it's freaking me out. My Mother did not mention her hair thinning until she was probably 70. I'm only 50, and not even going through menopause yet.

Oh I forgot my great-grandma on my Dad's side reportedly had very fine hair that would never grow past her shoulders I heard. I never met her(shed passed when I was just a baby) but when I was young I remember my mother and grandmother talking about how hew mother's hair would never grow beyond her shoulders. She was born in 1870 so she would have a few decades before women started with short cuts around 1920.
The pictures I've seen show short, permed hair.

UP Lisa
October 28th, 2011, 07:35 AM
So hard to really know. My Mother has always had her hair short, and has always told me that it doesn't grow long. Well, she has never tried to grow it out. She has no patience to do that, and always rips through her baby-fine hair. It has always amazed me that she has any left. She's just lucky it is as thick as it is. I wouldn't have any left if I did what she does.

Oh I forgot my great-grandma on my Dad's side reportedly had very fine hair that would never grow past her shoulders I heard. I never met her(shed passed when I was just a baby) but when I was young I remember my mother and grandmother talking about how hew mother's hair would never grow beyond her shoulders. She was born in 1870 so she would have a few decades before women started with short cuts around 1920.
The pictures I've seen show short, permed hair.

Babyfine
October 28th, 2011, 08:14 AM
So hard to really know. My Mother has always had her hair short, and has always told me that it doesn't grow long. Well, she has never tried to grow it out. She has no patience to do that, and always rips through her baby-fine hair. It has always amazed me that she has any left. She's just lucky it is as thick as it is. I wouldn't have any left if I did what she does.

I'm looking for a good detangler. I rip through mine sometimes too, which isn't good but I get impatient. I'm trying to be patient. On the days I use Mane and Tail conditioner(only from the ears down not on the scalp) my hair detangles much easier after the shower. Once my hair gets past armpit length it has to stay up or I have problems with tangles. Trouble is hubby likes it better down so he doesn't like it up all the time.

UP Lisa
October 28th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Mine is pretty much up or braided. Not worth the damage I get from trying to get the tangles out. My hubby doesn't seem to care.

I really like the detangling spray for fine hair that Kenra makes. it is very lightweight, and does seem to work well. Goes a long way, also.

I'm looking for a good detangler. I rip through mine sometimes too, which isn't good but I get impatient. I'm trying to be patient. On the days I use Mane and Tail conditioner(only from the ears down not on the scalp) my hair detangles much easier after the shower. Once my hair gets past armpit length it has to stay up or I have problems with tangles. Trouble is hubby likes it better down so he doesn't like it up all the time.

LaurelSpring
October 28th, 2011, 10:55 AM

I noticed that also. Im in the same boat. I have tried just about everything and keeping it cheap and easy works the best.

Mopolop
October 28th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Interesting. I stopped using cone-y conditioners after reading about how bad and drying they are, but I'm pretty sure my hair felt best when I was using pantene. Although I definitely don't like using SLS shampoos, they make my scalp itch so much. I wash my hair everyday (I know I shouldn't, it's my bedtime treat), depending on how dry my ends are and how greasy my scalp is I either CO or use shampoo. Still not sure what my hair likes, today it's lovely but some days it's really dry after COing. Same with shampoo (I guess because it gets rid of the build up, but if I use it too many days in a row my hair goes frizzy).

insomniac-uk
October 28th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I have decided to go back to shampoo and conditioner. I tried CO washing for about 4 months but it doesn't make much difference to my hair. I am still going to use oils and henna because I think they have helped my hair a lot.

berniealv
October 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Yes I wanted to try something different because my hair was frizzy especially when I let it go natural and it wasn't shiny like it was in the past. So I started using a very popular new product and I shed a lot of hair even the first time using this product. So I saved all the hair that came our during application, after rinsing and carefully combing out afterwards. I used this product 7 times and I have a whole sandwich baggie of hair. So I gave the product up and went back to regular shampoo and conditioner.
But please answer me this! Why is it that when I apply conditioner and rinse it out that I lose so much hair? Does this happen to others? Please help! I will go bald I'm afraid if this continues!:confused:

CurlyMopTop
October 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Yes I wanted to try something different because my hair was frizzy especially when I let it go natural and it wasn't shiny like it was in the past. So I started using a very popular new product and I shed a lot of hair even the first time using this product. So I saved all the hair that came our during application, after rinsing and carefully combing out afterwards. I used this product 7 times and I have a whole sandwich baggie of hair. So I gave the product up and went back to regular shampoo and conditioner.
But please answer me this! Why is it that when I apply conditioner and rinse it out that I lose so much hair? Does this happen to others? Please help! I will go bald I'm afraid if this continues!:confused:

No, you're not the only one. Do a search on conditioner causing shedding and you will find that there are many. I recently went back to shampoo and conditioner from CO just for this reason. Even now, I'm thinking that I'm going to have to try diluting my conditioners to see if that helps, or just plain avoid having conditioner touch my scalp at all. My hair absolutely loves conditioner and I can't detangle my hair without it. My scalp however seems to despise it more and more. :rolleyes:

berniealv
October 28th, 2011, 09:21 PM
:DThx for the info. But what does CO mean? Since I am new to this forum I don't understand all of the terms people are using. However I am doing research on conditioners or ingredients in conditioners that cause hair loss.

Neecola
October 28th, 2011, 10:13 PM
:DThx for the info. But what does CO mean? Since I am new to this forum I don't understand all of the terms people are using. However I am doing research on conditioners or ingredients in conditioners that cause hair loss.

Conditioning Only, aka co-washing. Using conditioner in place of shampoo. Here's a list of common abbreviations: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10

I'm only able to do this every other day... but I'm not crazy about the results on my CO day. I'm just trying to avoid shampooing daily but my hair definitely seems happiest with a daily shampoo. CWC works pretty well for me and I may just switch to that full time.

missmelaniem
October 28th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I think I've tried everything, and s & c are just easiest for me. CO is great maybe a few times a month, but I also use styling products so its not an option for me on a regular basis.

kidari
October 29th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I love simple S&C (sls or sls-free/ cones or cone-free doesn't matter) and I'm a daily washer. I love everything I've learned on here, some worked for me some didn't but it was a ton of fun experimenting and learning! I learned to tweak it to make it work even better for my hair. I do oil shampoo or I dilute conditioner with water and spray my hair to brush it out first and then shampoo only in the shower. I still do the plain S&C from time to time though.

Rosetta
October 29th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Count me in as well :) That simply works best for me (especially with a SLES-shampoo and coney conditioner!), though I do use other methods every now and then, just for variety.

As you see, there are quite a many of us! :)

Cainwen
October 29th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Yep. And cones and SLS. My scalp loves SLS, my hair loves cones. CO make my scalp unhappy, CWC made my hair limp.

joyinc
October 29th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I went back too :)

berniealv
October 29th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Thx Neecola, very helpful and informative too! Who knew...!
:D

Conditioning Only, aka co-washing. Using conditioner in place of shampoo. Here's a list of common abbreviations: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10

I'm only able to do this every other day... but I'm not crazy about the results on my CO day. I'm just trying to avoid shampooing daily but my hair definitely seems happiest with a daily shampoo. CWC works pretty well for me and I may just switch to that full time.

Lamb
October 29th, 2011, 03:25 PM
No, you're not the only one. Do a search on conditioner causing shedding and you will find that there are many. I recently went back to shampoo and conditioner from CO just for this reason. Even now, I'm thinking that I'm going to have to try diluting my conditioners to see if that helps, or just plain avoid having conditioner touch my scalp at all. My hair absolutely loves conditioner and I can't detangle my hair without it. My scalp however seems to despise it more and more. :rolleyes:

Neoma's hybrid wash might come in handy for you.
Here is Neoma's article:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=97

Basically, you soak your hair in conditioner, then cleanse your scalp with shampoo, then rinse it all out.

I'm a fine-and-thin-haired woman and nothing works as well for me as this wash method.

I do, sometimes, follow it up with a leave-in if my hair feels dry. But most of the time, it's either S&C, Neoma's H wash, or (horribile dictu!) shampoo only with a leave-in.

Neecola
October 30th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Thx Neecola, very helpful and informative too! Who knew...!
:D

You're welcome!

UP Lisa
October 31st, 2011, 06:12 AM
Well, the fact is that conditioners were never developed for use on the scalp. They were made for the hair.

CurlyMopTop
October 31st, 2011, 06:37 AM
Neoma's hybrid wash might come in handy for you.
Here is Neoma's article:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=97

Basically, you soak your hair in conditioner, then cleanse your scalp with shampoo, then rinse it all out.

I'm a fine-and-thin-haired woman and nothing works as well for me as this wash method.

I do, sometimes, follow it up with a leave-in if my hair feels dry. But most of the time, it's either S&C, Neoma's H wash, or (horribile dictu!) shampoo only with a leave-in.

Thanks Lamb. I have tried this method before. The only problem that I had with it was my hair started tangling right up by the scalp. Yesterday was wash day and I tried diluting my conditioner, which seemed to do the trick! :D So now it looks like I'll be diluting my shampoo and conditioner from now on. I still get a little extra shedding from putting in a little leave-in, but it's not horrible amounts so I should be good. I'll give this some time to see if it's going to work for the long term.:cheese:

CurlyMopTop
October 31st, 2011, 06:44 AM
Up Lisa I think you're right!!! :D I just find it hard to believe that I never made the connection before. I didn't realize it was the conditioners making me shed until more recently. When I first thought of it, I was in denial. My hair really does love conditioner!

UP Lisa
October 31st, 2011, 08:01 AM
I have never liked the idea of putting conditioner on my scalp because it is formulated to not rinse completely away. Therefore, I worry about it clogging up the hair follicles. Especially the ones with cones in them.

Up Lisa I think you're right!!! :D I just find it hard to believe that I never made the connection before. I didn't realize it was the conditioners making me shed until more recently. When I first thought of it, I was in denial. My hair really does love conditioner!

intothemist1999
October 31st, 2011, 08:55 AM

My personal feeling is that the slippery-ness merely makes it easier for the loose hairs to slide out, and we see them all gather in the drain.

I suspect if we combed (say, finger-combed) our hair very often through the days we'd see not so much hair shed out in the shower.

The shampoo stage makes hair clean and sort of "frictiony" so the hair doesn't come out so much then.

I try to remember to brush (or at least comb with a wide tooth comb) before my shower because it removes alot of the loose hairs, and I don't have to clear the drain so often during the shower.

Krentje
October 31st, 2011, 10:08 AM
I think that for many of us with straight and fine hair, oiling only works in very very small amounts (a teaspoon of oil rubbed into the hands and than on the hair). I also still do shampoo and conditioner, with the change of using smaller amounts than before, but i am happy i discovered that a tiny amount of oil = a huge amount of shine!

So, just do what works for you!

UP Lisa
October 31st, 2011, 11:21 AM
I think a teaspoon would be way too much for my hair.:pumpkin:

quote=Krentje;1844201]I think that for many of us with straight and fine hair, oiling only works in very very small amounts (a teaspoon of oil rubbed into the hands and than on the hair). I also still do shampoo and conditioner, with the change of using smaller amounts than before, but i am happy i discovered that a tiny amount of oil = a huge amount of shine!

So, just do what works for you![/quote]

Amber_Maiden
October 31st, 2011, 11:34 AM
I did just last week... It's weird eh? Did 3 weeks of only ACV and CO... and? Now I'm back to S/C. lol

hototogisu
November 1st, 2011, 02:45 PM
I thought I might update with my routine from the past two weeks. I've been washing three times a week, pre-shampoo conditioning (CWCing) with Inecto coconut conditioner on my lengths, washing with Nioxin System 3 shampoo twice (pre-conditioning the lengths both times), then properly conditioning with Nioxin System 3 conditioner on the scalp and a half and half mixture of Inecto conditioner and Garnier Triple Nutrition. I clip it up, go about the rest of my shower business, then comb it out right before rinsing.

I've still been doing LHC things like SMTs, and I still oil my hair, but much less than I was. My hair looks GREAT and I'm not shedding so much. Yay!

kayseezii
February 7th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I too use the traditional method of S/C. I tried an assortment of other methods, including: CO only, organic S/C, no cones, and no SLS. I found that the best method for me is simple S/C organic or not. I do find that not using SLS does keep my scalp much happier as well as it holds in my color longer. As for cones, well my hair loves cones so I keep em! And since I use shampoo I don't find that they cause buildup.

Diamond.Eyes
February 7th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I tried COing for about a month and a half, and while my hair was insanly moisturized, it was also very limp and hard to manipulate into curls or waves. The past few washes I have just been using the AO HS rose shampoo and condish set, and I have found that my hair is so much easier to work with. In a perfect world I would still be COing and wearing my hair up everyday, but I just love styling and wearing my hair down too darn much. :/ Stupid vanity...

sumidha
February 8th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I have to have shampoo, but LHC taught me about finding ones without irritating ingredients, and using vinegar rinses to make my scalp happy afterwards, but I pretty much never use conditioner anymore, just oils or some silicone leave in if I'm feeling like it. CO washing never worked for me. :\

LocustSpawning
February 8th, 2012, 04:05 AM
I was doing the regular shampoo & condition for a while... now I am trying CO washing with Tresemme naturals. It's been ok for the past 3 washes, but I do seem to use an obscene amount of conditioner... I think I'm gonna alternate between that, and regular shampoo and conditioning.

Aliantha
February 8th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I've tried some other methods - BS/ACV, CO, Bronner's castile soap (ugh, shudder), soap bars, you name it. I think my fine, thin hair and scalp with a tendency to oiliness do much better with a gentle, non-irritating shampoo and condish, every other day. I use Aubrey Organics green tea most of the time. I've not noticed having build up with that particular line of Aubrey.

woolyleprechaun
February 8th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I mix it up abit :) I think whatever works for you is good, theres no point beating yourself up about it.

UP Lisa
February 8th, 2012, 07:24 AM
When I CO, my hair is oily and heavy in a day. With shampoo I don't get that feeling. I just my normal oiliness.

Moonlake
February 8th, 2012, 08:48 AM

bubblyredhead
February 8th, 2012, 04:52 PM
With all of my experiementing all I have figured out is I need deep treatments and the occasional SLS shampoo ( like once a month if that) and to use an SLS free shampoo and mostly cone free conditioner or cone free with a coney leave in on my ends to mid shaft. SLS all the time makes my scalp burn and itch like crazy CO washing works for about oh a week and my hair is super oily by the end of the week and my ends hate me and oils except for argan oil and coconut oil make my hair dull and lifeless.

HintOfMint
February 8th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I stopped CO when I realized that my shedding was getting a little ridiculous. Then I realized that sulfate free was still pretty terrible for my scalp. It was awesome going back to regular shampoo. I still CWC though with a cone-free routine.

I'm not disappointed though, I still get to enjoy my hair with pretty cheap products.

battles
February 8th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I'm still tweaking my routine, but S&C generally works best for me. I'm still unsure about cones or no cones, sulfates or no sulfates.. My hair rebels if I stick with the same thing for too long, so I honestly don't know what it likes.

ladyshep
February 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Been there done that.

Now I have been using shampoo and conditioner for years now. There's nothing wrong with it At All.

Alibran
February 9th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I went through a phase of CO because I was convinced it *must* be better for my curly hair. My hair did like it, but my scalp ended up very itchy.

I played around with lots of different ideas, but in the end had to accept that my scalp likes to be shampooed and that's just all there is to it. Now, I CWC most times I wash, CO occasionally if I haven't been working out and haven't got sweaty, and S&C occasionally if I feel like my hair needs a good wash. I still don't use cones or sulphates as part of my regular routine, though.

Since my hair is short and it's easy to do, I wash it one way or another pretty much every day.

Tabihito
February 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I went back to S&C because even though my wurls looked fantastic with CO, it was just too much of a hassle. My scalp was getting oily enough that I had to wash every day or deal with the abominable itchiness that is an oily scalp; with S&C now, I can wash every other day, and every three days if the air's unusually cool and dry.