PDA

View Full Version : What has this shampoo done?!

battles
October 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM
I tried using essencia mandarin citrus horsetail & wheat shampoo ONCE. One time, and my hair has been an absolute disgusting wreck since then. It looked perfectly fine before. I've been considering cutting it, but I figured I'd see what I could do to fix it before resorting to that.

It's rough and very tangly but the lengths are oily and frizzy at the same time, and ohh the tangles. :( My hair snaps very easily, even fingercombing. I've clarified, I've used EVOO and coconut oil and more conditioner than usual. I've tried a few different shampoos that have worked before, and I've tried CO washing again.

Is this a protein overload or what? Have I gotten myself into some other mess? :bigeyes:

I can hunt down the bottle and post a list of ingredients if needed. Any thoughts/ suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Roscata
October 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM
If I were you I would clarify my hair and then give it a nice deep conditioning. Good luck! :D

spidermom
October 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM
Have you done a vinegar rinse? If not, do so.

My current shampoo makes my hair feel weird, so I've been using about 1/4 cup vinegar in a pitcher of warm water (3 quarts, I think). It has made a HUGE difference. My shampoo says it is pH neutral. It sounds like yours might be a bit alkaline to have such a negative effect.

Oh, and give your hair a deep conditioning (moisture) treatment first.

els23
October 21st, 2011, 09:07 PM
I'm not sure but it sounds a little like what happened to me when I accidentally used a shampoo and conditioner with protein... though more extreme. I clarified and did a SMT (left it in for a couple of hours) and followed with a vinegar rinse and EVOO. That fixed it for me.

battles
October 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the responses! Off to do a deep conditioning, I hope that helps. :)

luciferia
October 21st, 2011, 09:24 PM
The first time I used henna on my current hair, the same thing happened. I thought I ruined my hair! I couldn't use any shampoo without my hair becoming a huge, dry, tangled, breaking mess. Eventually (and a lot of oils and conditioners later) it was fine.

I'm guessing it was from too much protein.

battles
October 21st, 2011, 09:30 PM
The first time I used henna on my current hair, the same thing happened. I thought I ruined my hair! I couldn't use any shampoo without my hair becoming a huge, dry, tangled, breaking mess. Eventually (and a lot of oils and conditioners later) it was fine.

I'm guessing it was from too much protein.

I'm glad you got it all sorted out! It sucks when your hair isn't behaving. :(

I think this shampoo had a little too much protein in it too, or something else in it didn't agree with my hair.. Either way, I think I'll be doing more deep treatments than I have been. :p

Audhumla
October 21st, 2011, 09:47 PM
If the problem is protein overload then coconut oil might not be the best thing to be using whilst trying to fix your hair. Apparently coconut oil tends to lock in any excess protein that is coating your hair.

Roscata
October 21st, 2011, 09:48 PM
Also if it is protein overload you MUST clarify to get rid of the excess. Just saying. :D

thelittlestdoc
October 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
My hair was a mess the last time I used my LUSH Henna--a few oilings/deep treatments later and it was okay. You could also try a chelating shampoo. I'm pretty sure JOICO makes one that works well :)

battles
October 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM
Hm, will quit with the coconut oil for now then. :) And I did a clarify .. yesterday, I think. :p I hope that was good enough!

Seeshami
October 21st, 2011, 10:42 PM
After naughty dye adventure Avon products shoved into my possession and guilt tripped into my hair have done the SAME thing.

Renpure Amazing Miracle something-or-another-really-long name, is what I have been using to fix it.

Safira
October 22nd, 2011, 01:04 AM
Maybe itīs not shampoo, but something overload? I think you should try chelating shampoo.

blondie9912
October 22nd, 2011, 01:40 AM
Joico's Chelating Shampoo fixed a myriad of problems for me :)

Baby
October 22nd, 2011, 03:02 AM
I changed my routine and got the same hair as you have now, to get it right again I clarified and then I did a deep condioning treatment with mayoneise. I took a readymade with eggyolk, oils and vinager but you can do one yourself if you like. I let it sit in my hair for half an hour and then I put conditioner in my hair, soaked it with conditioner and sort of did a co-wash. Now it feels as it is back to normal. I will be co-washing for a while, until my conditioner is out, and then I will return to my previous rutine I think.