PDA

View Full Version : Scalp problem: dry or oily?

mallorykay13
October 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM
My hair gets oily fast (much less fast then when I was SC-ing everyday...) But I still have dry skin on my scalp and dandruff. What gives?

AJoifulNoise
October 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM
I, too, have an oily flaky scalp. CO washing has drastically improved this for me. I CO most days, S/C every 3-5 days.

mallorykay13
October 21st, 2011, 07:28 PM
Ive just got on the CO bandwagon and loving it! I hope this helps over time.... Do you know what causes this?

AJoifulNoise
October 21st, 2011, 07:31 PM
I think it is genetic for me. My dad is the same way. I made it worse for years by shampooing every day without conditioner. I had really bad dandruff. :mad:

Some people manage to stretch their washes and that helps with the oilyness. Never worked for me.

Oh, and a quick apple cider vinegar rinse is good for itchy scalp. I know that happens to me occasionally, especially in the winter.

mallorykay13
October 21st, 2011, 07:32 PM
I havent tried an ACV rinse yet. Whats the procedure?

AJoifulNoise
October 21st, 2011, 07:41 PM
I dissolve a tablespoon of vinegar in two cups of warm water. After I have washed my hair (S/C or CO, doesn't matter) and rinsed, I pour the vinegar water over my scalp. I let that sit for a few minutes and then rinse lightly with warm water. You will smell the vinegar for a little while after the shower, but the smell fades pretty quickly.