PDA

View Full Version : Split ends and single strand knots

mallorykay13
October 21st, 2011, 07:05 PM
How do you prevent your ends from splitting? What causes single strand knots?

Madora
October 21st, 2011, 07:52 PM
I trim those ends every 3 months and do S and D every day (just a little).

As for the single strand knots, they just happen and I cut them off. Just the way the hair is, sometimes.

Lostsoule77
October 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm not quite sure what causes either one. The splits I think are just hairs way of showing wear and tear like a carpet getting a bare patch. I just trim both the splits and the knots out of my hair.

danacc
October 21st, 2011, 09:50 PM
Split ends are from damage. They can be caused by too much heat, bleach, or by snapping a strand when detangling. Tangles and other wear and tear over time can cause them, too, especially when your hair is long and your ends are old.

Single-strand knots are tied by fairies. :magic:

Yozhik
October 21st, 2011, 10:04 PM
I sometimes get single-strand knots from brushing out a knot -- there is a cluster of hairs, and you pull out the other hairs, but the knot stays in one strand. Sometimes I've heard of people loosening them up to save that hair strand, but I just cut them off.

thelittlestdoc
October 21st, 2011, 10:21 PM
The only way to prevent these is basically following LHC advice--gentle handling, limited heat, minimal damage in general. I search&destroy every few days and it always seems like I have a few splits even when my hair is in generally good condition.

:cheese:The cheese thinks split-ends stink, too!:cheese:

Seeshami
October 21st, 2011, 10:37 PM
Split ends and knots are most certainly caused by the naughty in my mess. Now I don't know if your hair is trying to drive you mad, kill you or is just generally bad tempered like mine but that's my 2 cents.

The Naughty Mess laughs in the face of good hair behavior.

Loreley
October 22nd, 2011, 12:47 AM
I have a lot more fairy knots when I use cones. No idea why... :confused:

Safira
October 22nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
Single-strand knots are tied by fairies. :magic:

:lol:

Some hair just gets splits. Regular tiny trims and good haircare prevents splits a little.

mallorykay13
October 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
This all makes sense. I'm currently working on cutting out my pre-LHC super damaged hair, which is where a lot of the splits are. My virgin hair is very healthy and a couple shades darker actually... (and i never got my hair dyed lighter.. just darker..)

Roscata
October 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah the chemical dyes damage hair and that makes it prone to breakage and splitting. You found your culprit. Be glad because someone people just have split prone hair and you can just grow out damage.

The reason dark dyes leave your hair lighter when they wash out is because of the peroxide level in your developer. Although there are peroxide free, deposit only hair dyes, most are not in that category.

You should take a look at this article (if you haven't already): Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79).

Happy growing! :D

mallorykay13
October 22nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah the chemical dyes damage hair and that makes it prone to breakage and splitting. You found your culprit. Be glad because someone people just have split prone hair and you can just grow out damage.

The reason dark dyes leave your hair lighter when they wash out is because of the peroxide level in your developer. Although there are peroxide free, deposit only hair dyes, most are not in that category.

You should take a look at this article (if you haven't already): Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79).

Happy growing! :D

Never thought about peroxide in my dark hair dye :doh:

ktani
October 22nd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Split ends are caused by dryness. I found when I changed my catnip routine and over steeped the tea (over 5 hours), I started to see split ends again (very few but they were there).

I get single strand knots when my steeping time is either over done or under 4.75 hours.

It is about the moisture protein balance.

At 4.75 hours of steeping time for catnip for my hair, I get no split ends and no knots and my most minimal breakage.

When I used to steep catnip at well under 4.75 hours I had no split ends but more breakage, which for me is mechanical. I had no knots then either.

Catnip moisturizes my hair and steeped long enough releases more of something that gives my hair more slip. Now I have so little breakage, that I do not have to s&d regularly to remove hair that catches on other hair.

HairStickler
October 23rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
I found a lot of single-strand knots in my hair after I let it dry curly and wore it down one day for a hair meet. It got really tangled after a few hours of that and I detangled carefully, but the end result was a lot of fairy knots, which had to be cut out. Back to damp-bunning and protective updos for me!

jojo
October 23rd, 2011, 01:14 PM
I don't get many knots but I do get splits; its just older hair and having fine hair doesn't help! Ive learnt not to fret over them no more, part of having long hair I suppose!