PDA

View Full Version : Aloe Vera Juice?!

Clem_Dela
October 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
I can't seem to find any Aloe Vera Gel, but Juice is definitely available.

does anyone use it?
for what?
is it okay in dry weather?

the bottle at the store said it was for drinking. what are the benefits of that?

any information you can supply me will be most appreciated! thanks in advance :cool:

MaryRose
October 22nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
I have also been looking for aloe for my hair. I can't seem to find the the oil or anything else that they may have for hair. I will be watching this thread for aswers.

gilbert-sarah
October 22nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
I had the same issue so i bought a gallon of juice( i think it was only lik 7 dollars).
Ive used it in DTs and i put a little splash in my acv rinse that i use every time i cowash.
I think that it gives my hair a ton of slip and shine and really helps to defriz in the high humidity weather. But just be warned a little goes a very long way and if you dont get it all out your hair may seem a little flat or at least thats how it is with me.
Hope that helps!=)

Clem_Dela
October 22nd, 2011, 10:41 PM
thanks Gilbert-Sarah! how much do you use in a rinse? I bought some and it's sitting in the fridge now. Tried drinking it but it tastes so nasty... :mad:

CC-Bale
October 22nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
I found my Aloe Vera Gel beside the sunscreen in stores and it took me forever to find it. This is the first time I'm hearing of Aloe Vera Juice.

Merkaba
October 23rd, 2011, 12:03 AM
Most of the ones Ive seen in local stores also have citric acid in them and possible other preservatives so you probably want to read the ingredients before you put it in your hair. I have been drinking it for the last little while and noticed that it helped some digestion issues I was having and also my skin and hair seemed to be a bit more like moisturized but I need to be more consistent to be sure.

joflakes
October 23rd, 2011, 03:01 AM
I just drink it. Tastes lovely! :)

MasCat
October 23rd, 2011, 03:43 AM
I bought aloe vera juice and use it for SMT-s :)

sycamoreboutiqu
October 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
If you don't want to keep your hair products in the fridge you need to use the preserved type of Aloe gel (by the sunscreen products) as pure Aloe juice will spoil rather quickly.

There is an alternative that I have - but haven't used yet. Aloe powder. It is dried Aloe and is usually sold in an "X" version like 3x 4x which is the concentration. You still have to add water to it and anything with water added (even distilled) needs a preservative. The Aloe powder could however be added to other products that either have no water or are already preserved.

That is what I plan to try as I am liking the results of using Aloe on my scalp (seems to have alleviated dryness and SD problems) and love it in Jessica's detangler potion.

els23
October 23rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
I saw aloe vera juice at the store and I was tempted to buy it, but then I noticed that Aloe Vera was only the 4th or 5th ingredient so I'm planning on just buying an Aloe leaf (more like a spear really haha) and trying to get the gel or whatever is inside out myself. Not sure how hard it will be but it might be an option where you are too.

gilbert-sarah
October 23rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
thanks Gilbert-Sarah! how much do you use in a rinse? I bought some and it's sitting in the fridge now. Tried drinking it but it tastes so nasty... :mad:
i probably used about 1 tablespoon per cup of rinse:)

Dorothy
October 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
I have a huge aloe vera plant - it's very easy to grow indoors. I have used it for SMT's. It's more helpful to think of yourself as peeling the gel. With a small, sharp knife, I trim off the sharp points, both sides, then peel the rounded part, then lay the leaf flat on its flat side and run the knife just under the skin. You end up with a half tube of jello like goo. Smash that up and put it whereever. It does not keep. But you can take just one spear for your one SMT.

I've been thinking about trying to blend the spears, unskinned, and strain the skin out. But I'm not sure it's possible.

els23
October 23rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
I have a huge aloe vera plant - it's very easy to grow indoors. I have used it for SMT's. It's more helpful to think of yourself as peeling the gel. With a small, sharp knife, I trim off the sharp points, both sides, then peel the rounded part, then lay the leaf flat on its flat side and run the knife just under the skin. You end up with a half tube of jello like goo. Smash that up and put it whereever. It does not keep. But you can take just one spear for your one SMT.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to try and buy a spear this week to use it in my SMT!!

Do you know if it is possible to refrigerate it at all, even just so it lasts like a week? I like using aloe as a gel in my hair but doing that every day seems like a hassle.

sycamoreboutiqu
October 23rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
You should be able to keep it in the fridge for a week.

I used to have a big Aloe plant and I would just take a spear and then use something heavy
like a mug or something to "squish" it flat. The spear would split open and the gel would ooze out the sides. You can then just kind of scrape it away from the skin and use it.

Clem_Dela
October 24th, 2011, 02:29 PM
hi everyone!

So, I put a splash of this stuff in my ACV rinse this morning, and now that my hair is dry I'm pretty sure it was a GOOD idea.

my recipe was approximately this: 1/4th cup ACV, 1/4th cup Aloe juice, 2 cups water, 2 tbsp honey.

My hair has a bit more slip to it for sure and is not frizzy. It is also much shinier than usual :cheese:

As for drinking....Aloe vera juice is less than desirable as far as flavor goes. It tastes like p*ss, quite frankly. At least on its own. I think most people add it to some normal juice of some kind and drink it that way.

Next time I'm getting one of the berry flavored ones they have. i wanted a very pure form to try on my hair, but maybe the berry ones would be nice too!

(By the way, I checked the ingredients list and this stuff was very pure. Aloe vera, citric acid, sodium benzoate. The bottle was also labeled as "98.9 % aloe vera")