PDA

View Full Version : My growth pattern - driving me nuts!

mulletesque
October 21st, 2011, 05:00 PM
I have a "normal" whorl, the type that makes it easiest to have a part on the left. However, my growth pattern is so strong that if I try to do anything with my hair that goes against it, it balks, and can be painful on my scalp.

I remember being a little girl and having a ponytail on each side of my head, and by the end of the day it would be aching and the hair on the top-left of my head would be creeping up, tugging against the rubberband, trying to go back over to the right side where it belongs.

I had long hair in the past (waist length at one point) and if I didn't tie it back in some way, it would invariably fall into my face. Just tucking it behind my ears didn't solve it; it would untuck itself quickly and fall forward. Wearing a half-up would become painful, too.

I know this is a common phenomenon, and a lot of gals today seem to have layers in front, long bangs that nearly cover one eye "on purpose." But I just can't, can't, can't stand this for myself. (Besides, having tried this, the bangs won't "nearly" cover my eyes, they'll fall straight down in front of my face.)

So, for my recent hair-growing project, I decided to stop fighting nature, and cut a large area short in front for bangs, so it can fall forward the way it wants to. Well, more than bangs; the part between long and short starts behind each ear and runs across the top of my head. But it's STILL not enough to allow my hair to lie nicely.

At the top-left-rear of my head, a lock of my long hair, which is supposed to lie flat in back, keeps wanting to come forward to fall in front of my right eye. I comb and smooth it back, but it puffs up, and hurts too! It was driving me crazy yesterday, and I was determined to come home and cut it off to join my "bangs."

But after some preening using two mirrors to look at the back and top of my head, I decided against it. If I move that hair to the front, I will have a visible sideways "part" across the back/top of my head, where there is bare scalp at the center of my whorl.

Also, while that lock of hair naturally falls forward, regular moving about that musses up my hair might make it fall backwards at times, and if it were a single short lock falling back (or worse, sticking up at an angle), that would look very silly.

So, I'm going to bear with it for the moment. It didn't bother me too much during the day today, but just sitting here now at the end of the day, that spot on my head is sore. :(

I also have a couple pieces on the underside of my hair at the nape of my neck, that want to go upwards. I smooth or comb my hair straight down in back, and these pieces poke themselves through the outside section and make sort of a poking-out loop. Those are rather short pieces since they're at the bottom of my head and I'm only at shoulder length; I'm hoping that with the added weight of more length a few inches from now, they'll be pulled down.

Anyone else have a similar situation, and how have you dealt with it?

Lady Neeva
October 21st, 2011, 05:22 PM
My hair has this problem in which everytime I try to play the violin, my hair gets stuck in the chin rest. Same thing with food. I suggest wear like a flexi8 or clip a bobby pin on the hair above each ear. Or a low ponytail.
(No one has answered this question for me, but how do you start a new thread on here? I am a very slow learner)

KwaveT
October 21st, 2011, 05:33 PM
My hair has this problem in which everytime I try to play the violin, my hair gets stuck in the chin rest. Same thing with food. I suggest wear like a flexi8 or clip a bobby pin on the hair above each ear. Or a low ponytail.
(No one has answered this question for me, but how do you start a new thread on here? I am a very slow learner)

You click the "New" tab at the top of the forum page.

KwaveT
October 21st, 2011, 06:00 PM
I decided to stop fighting nature with my own hair. I am growing out my waves rather than trying to make my hair go straight. My problem mostly lie with the bangs that I am trying to go out. They have a life of their own. I try to get them to frame the side of my face. One piece tries to fall straight in front of my face. Rest of them keep want to naturally part themselves rather than lay verticle. I am hoping that added weight will eventually force these hairs to fall verticle.

Gabriel
October 22nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
mulletesque- I have this growth pattern. They call those whorls "cowlicks" in some places.

One is at the front of my hair line and makes any type of fringe (bangs) a bad idea. I can't really train it to be parted on the side it doesn't naturally go because it won't lay flat for very long even with tons of product on it or heat styling. It doesn't hurt though any more so than changing up a parting does for me.

I do have another on the crown of my head that will ache if it gets put going again the natural pattern. It will ache enough to eventually give me a migraine. I really notice it especially if it's been a few days without washing. That's the only way it will stop hurting for me, to get my scalp wet.

It's a really strange spot on my head.