PDA

View Full Version : "You should your hair. You're a little OLD for wearing it that long."

SaucyWench
October 21st, 2011, 03:35 PM
I was actually told that the other day!

It's not like it is ratty and looking like something the wicked witch would have! I keep it clean, trimmed, neat and, usually, up in a bun or braided.

It was a co-worker of dh's. He said he thought older women (he is in his 30s, I am 52) should have sensible hair, not something you only want to see on younger women.

I was momentarily shocked into silence (a difficult and unknown place for me! ;-D ).

Dh was walking towards us and so I just replied, "Well, "dh's name" sure likes this old lady wrapping her tresses around his, oh, hi honey, ready to go to lunch?"

The look on co-worker's face was priceless!

Honestly, some people..............

Vanille_
October 21st, 2011, 03:40 PM
Ugh... some people indeed.

Orangerthanred
October 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM
How is long hair not sensible?

Carolyn
October 21st, 2011, 03:47 PM
OMG! :rollin: Perfect reply! You sure put that young whipper snapper in his place!

joflakes
October 21st, 2011, 03:50 PM
Haha. Silly comment but a brilliant response! :D

Mopolop
October 21st, 2011, 04:03 PM
What did your husband think? Long grey/white hair can be so beautiful, stupid co-worker. :/

BlazingHeart
October 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM
I have to agree with everyone else, that was one hell of a comeback!

HairFaerie
October 21st, 2011, 04:42 PM
Their comment was wrong but your reply was oh, so right! :)
That totally sounds like something I would have said to someone!

Yame
October 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
Feels like a lot of threads on this topic have been popping up lately!

Sorry to hear someone was so insensitive. Some people really do need to keep their thoughts to themselves. First of all it's not polite to call someone OLD, and second of all does he really think so highly of himself that his opinion on YOUR hair should matter to you?

Long hair is beautiful no matter the age!

KwaveT
October 21st, 2011, 06:42 PM
That is the comeback of the century there. You left his jaw sitting on the floor. I don't know why some people think their opinion of you is oh so important. If he thinks you are old then his day is coming. Nobody stays young forever. I am one of those that wish more people would have long hair as they get older. It seems like everybody thinks you are suppose to chop it once you reach a certain age.

spidermom
October 21st, 2011, 06:47 PM
Good come-back! If there were a come-back hall of fame, I'd nominate this one. hahahahahah

I wish somebody would say I'm too long to have long hair. I could use a good laugh.

Tressie
October 21st, 2011, 06:59 PM
Terrific reply!! Some people are very small, and I'm not talking about physical stature! A+++

embee
October 21st, 2011, 07:11 PM
Beautiful reply! :D

Bet he's more careful how he talks to "old ladies" in the future... (giggle, giggle, snort, wheeze!)

kamikaze hair
October 21st, 2011, 07:36 PM
haha!!! I so love that comeback!!! now I'm waiting for the day when I can use this very line!! :D

PixxieStix
October 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM
Oh, that was a good laugh! What a fabulously saucy reply indeed! Some people are just so tactless, I bet he starts seeing long hair in a different light now. ;)

dragonette@1
October 21st, 2011, 07:44 PM
Every time he sees you from now on, he's going to have THAT IMAGE in his head!

I love that! Perfect comeback to a rude, ignorant comment!

Lostsoule77
October 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
That is one of the best comebacks I've ever heard! Good for you!

I love long hair on older women (and I don't think you're old enough for me to include you in the older catergory.) I think short white hair makes elderly women look just that. I think longer hair makes them look younger and prettier. Just my 2 cents. :)

dulce
October 21st, 2011, 08:20 PM
LOVE your comeback!! Will remember it in case I ever encounter the same situation.Bravo for you!

ArienEllariel
October 21st, 2011, 08:31 PM
:spitting: Bahahaaa!

I mean *ehem* bet he didn't see that coming. :p Good for you. ;)

hanne jensen
October 22nd, 2011, 03:12 AM
Great comeback! I too am 52 and hear it all the time. My standard answer is, "I'm not old, only slightly youth challenged!"

JulietCapulet
October 22nd, 2011, 04:07 AM
His two cents was worth what it costs.

Never cut your hair!:-)

MonaLisa
October 22nd, 2011, 05:24 AM
hugs

I was told same thing by my girlfirends...and I'll be 26 soon ...go figure..
My hair isn't even really long in my opinion :(

newbeginning
October 22nd, 2011, 05:36 AM
That is the best comeback I have ever heard.

noelgirl
October 22nd, 2011, 07:30 AM
Perfect response! That'll teach him to make personal remarks!

CurlyMopTop
October 22nd, 2011, 07:56 AM
Lol! I love the response! My husband feels the same way! :D Haha!!!

Sarahmoon
October 22nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
SaucyWench, you have an awesome husband! :lol: And honestly it's much more important what he thinks about your hair, than some stupid coworker.

It sounds to me like he's the one having an issue here, asking someone to cut their hair cause he only wants to see it on younger women? :?

If he lived in my town, I'd follow him to the swimming pool and tell him to please get out and put on a shirt, because a bare chest is something I only want to see on young, attractive men in their 20s.

I mean, what the... :rolleyes:

SaucyWench
October 22nd, 2011, 08:54 AM
Glad I made you smile!

His comments caught me off-guard. He's said some stupid things in the past, but they were general, not personal.

My hair is what I like to call Pre-Raphaelite red (not "I Love Lucy" and not so dark as Irish setter). ((I'll post a picture when I lear how to do that!!)) So, it's not as though it is white or grey. At 52, I am pleased that I have only a few lighter hairs peaking out (they look more blond than white). And, I have no plans on colouring my hair ever.

By the way, dh DOES like it when I wrap my tresses around his, oh, speaking of, hi, honey, I'm just posting on a new message board...........Gotta go.............. (hee-hee-hee!)

saucy

"I may grow old, but I'll never grow up!"

cindy58
October 22nd, 2011, 09:19 AM
Glad I made you smile!

His comments caught me off-guard. He's said some stupid things in the past, but they were general, not personal.

My hair is what I like to call Pre-Raphaelite red (not "I Love Lucy" and not so dark as Irish setter). ((I'll post a picture when I lear how to do that!!)) So, it's not as though it is white or grey. At 52, I am pleased that I have only a few lighter hairs peaking out (they look more blond than white). And, I have no plans on colouring my hair ever.

By the way, dh DOES like it when I wrap my tresses around his, oh, speaking of, hi, honey, I'm just posting on a new message board...........Gotta go.............. (hee-hee-hee!)

saucy

"I may grow old, but I'll never grow up!"

Welcome to LHC! You can post a photo by putting in PhotoBucket and then inserting the image code in your post.

I caught that white or grey comment too. I am also a red head (or strawberry blond) and have never colored my hair as I like it. I'm 53 and the silvers I have blend in as the blond does, so not obvious. There is a vast difference in the age that people's hair can turn silver, grey or white. My grandmother had mostly dark hair well into her 70s. I know it wasn't colored because silvers were visible.

Hairitic
October 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
I think perhaps that coworker is jealous of your husband ;). He rather (secretly) lusts for you and hates to think of your husband getting all the pleasure you offer and he gets none :(! :D What a dingbat!

ktani
October 22nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Great comeback!

I am not sure why younger people (I am older) have some very conservative views that to me are so incredibly outdated.

It is apparent in other areas too. I remember 20 something co-workers years ago (not that many years ago either) not having a clue about STD's or AIDS and personal protection.

Women are still treated badly in the press re grey hair and age.

I could care less if Demi Moore gets a divorce. However the age difference between her and Ashton Kutcher is only 13 years. If she were a man, it would never be mentioned at all.

SaucyWench
October 22nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
... He rather (secretly) lusts for you and hates to think of your husband getting all the pleasure you offer and he gets none :(! :D What a dingbat!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Thanks, now I'll have THAT image in my head for awhile..........;-p

My darling husband LOVES my hair (and, what I do with it...ahem...). In fact, I have told him that if he should die before me, I will cut my hair short and have the long braid cremated with him. Nobody else gets myhair, it's his, his, his.

My Mom (age 91) is in a nursing home. All the residents love my long hair and like to touch it (tactile senses last longest). They think it's cool. Old people rock!!

princessp
October 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
How is long hair not sensible?

He is absolutely right, long hair past a certain age is not sensible for him. How in the world will he ever be able to make sense of who to hit on at work? If everyone had long hair it would confuse his little mind. Likely you are adorable with your long hair and he can't handle it

The scenario in my mind went down like this: him "check out that luscious long haired women." [checks breath, sprays bianca breath freshener, and walks towards you with an obnoxious swagger]"oh yeah long haired lady hold on to your hair because here I come"...[stops in his tracks] "oh no isn't that saucywench's husband" "but, but, he is older than me and so that must mean...but, what, she still has such lovely hair!"..."oh no the media has never taught me how to navigate these incompatible set of indicators!"...."curses, curses, curses!"...."does not compute, does not compute!"

so he blurted out that ridiculous 3rd grade response because he needed to make his world make sense and since the universe revolves around him you are the one not being sensible.

And SaucyWench how dare you be sexy over 30! Great response. :D

Ishje
October 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
what a great reaction from your husband ^^

people have opinions, alway's, you can't make everybody happy, so making yourself happy is the best thing to do ;)

teal
October 22nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
LOL. Next time your co-worker comes up with some ageist comment, tell him that children should be seen and not heard. (What an idjit.)

deko
October 22nd, 2011, 01:58 PM
Beautiful comeback!

If you willl and can kee your hair pretty long then you should not have to face some minor excuses from jealous people.

And I do think the person who did this comment is jealous.

Your hair is pretty!

jojo
October 23rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
Love the in your face comment haha!! but seriously some people need a whack with the none of your business stick-take no notice!!

LaurelSpring
October 23rd, 2011, 07:45 AM
Love the reply! I just got this from a so called friend a couple of weeks ago. Here is my fantasy revenge:

Her and her catty hair hating friends are sitting at the bar. I walk in with my hair down, walk over to the jukebox and play "I Whip My Hair Back and Forth" then flip my hair at them as I flip them something else and walk out to that.

Of course that will never happen and I wouldnt really do it but sometimes these things cross your mind. :eyebrows:

Sarahmoon
October 24th, 2011, 04:24 PM
The scenario in my mind went down like this: him "check out that luscious long haired women." [checks breath, sprays bianca breath freshener, and walks towards you with an obnoxious swagger]"oh yeah long haired lady hold on to your hair because here I come"...[stops in his tracks] "oh no isn't that saucywench's husband" "but, but, he is older than me and so that must mean...but, what, she still has such lovely hair!"..."oh no the media has never taught me how to navigate these incompatible set of indicators!"...."curses, curses, curses!"...."does not compute, does not compute!"

:spitting:

MrsGuther
October 24th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Bahaha I LOVE your comeback! Good for you! I say that anyone no matter what age can have long hair if they want to and it's nobody's business to tell you how long you should/shouldn't have your hair.

Mrs. D
October 24th, 2011, 05:10 PM
My coworkers (one in paticular) get some kind of sick thrill out of making comments about my hair. I am 40 and my hair is bsl. It is hard for me to wear my hair down much anymore, but I try to keep it neat and shiny. In fact my hair is a different style most every day.

Why people do this is beyond me. There has got to be some underlying jealousy about it.
Shannon

lizdini
October 24th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Since when is 52 old?:confused: I'm 31 and I certainly think 52 is NOT old! And why would you feel the need to tell someone that, if it's your opinion? Some people! Seriously, though, your reply makes you my hero!:applause

moxamoll
October 24th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Does anyone know where this idea of long hair not being for women past a certain age came from? It certainly wasn't always the case!

At any rate, your husband's response was perfect! "Too much information" is a great way to slap down "Too much interference"!

getoffmyskittle
October 24th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Seriously :rollin: at your response. Saucy indeed. ;) Welcome to LHC!

summergreen
October 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Great comeback! Mine would have been far less polite!

Its unbelievable how many people think hair is fair game to make any rude comment about, to the owners face! I bet he'd never have made a similar comment about the length of your skirt or the tightness of your jeans in relation to your (not at all old) age!