PDA

View Full Version : If I don't use cones do I still need to clarify?

laurarvt
October 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM
I've been cone free and using a sulfate free shampoo.....should I still clarify with a sulfate shampoo every so often? I do use coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment as well.

Thanks!
Laura

Roscata
October 21st, 2011, 03:19 PM
The short answer is yes. The longer answer is you should clarify if you feel your hair needs it. You can get build-up from a lot of things. More information on that here: Build-up and Clarifying (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=194). Hope that helps. :D

ravenreed
October 21st, 2011, 03:20 PM
I am cone free but still get build up from conditioners, oils, and hard water. I clarify about every 2 to 3 months at this point, more if needed. Since I am CO, I usually clarify first with an SLS shampoo and if that doesn't do it, I use a little baking soda in the shampoo.

Animae
October 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM
I clarify before I henna my hair, and when I feel my hair needs it. Or if i use something with silicone in it.

Carolyn
October 21st, 2011, 03:52 PM
You need to clarify if you think your hair needs it. Clarifying is often the first thing to try when you have hair issues. Cones aren't the only things that build up. Every now and then hair needs to start over with a clean slate. Clarify on an as needed basis and not on a schedule. And always give your hair a nice moisturizing treatment after a clarifying wash.

thelittlestdoc
October 21st, 2011, 10:34 PM
The short answer is yes. The longer answer is you should clarify if you feel your hair needs it. You can get build-up from a lot of things. More information on that here: Build-up and Clarifying (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=194). Hope that helps. :D
I completely agree with this. My hair routine is currently similar to yours (COwash with coconut oil prior to washing 2X a week) and I find that I need to clarify every three weeks or so. :)