PDA

View Full Version : Accessing archived forums.

amaiaisabella
July 5th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hello all, I had a question regarding the archived forums. Several times, posters have linked to a thread from the archived forums, and I'm always able to read those. But either I'm really blind (always a possibility :)) or I just don't see a link for access on the main page. Does this not appear unless you have a certain number of posts or a longer member presence, or is there no main point of access?

Thank you :)

snowbear
July 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
If you're using the same browser, you need to log out here in order to log in to the archives.

Flaxen
July 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Bottom of any page here > Forum Jump > The Archived Forums :grin:

amaiaisabella
July 5th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Thank you, Flaxen, but I'm not able to login. Is that because I'm logged in here?

Beatnik Guy
July 5th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Yes; as snowbear said, if you're using the same browser, you need to log out here in order to log in to the archives.

amaiaisabella
July 5th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Ah, okay. Thank you very much. I will try that. :)

*edit* Nope, I logged out of here and tried to log in, but it wouldn't let me. Perhaps I do not qualify to access?

Flaxen
July 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Hmm. :ponder: You have enough posts and length of membership to qualify for the private areas. Try logging out of here, clearing your cookies and cache, and then log into the archive.

amaiaisabella
July 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
No such luck. I cleared all cookies, as well my temporary internet files, and tried to login, but it kept telling me my username and password were invalid. Oh well. :confused:

anna1850
July 6th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I'm not a mod but I just thought maybe it is because amaiaisabella registered after the old forums died. Maybe she is only on the membership list here and not there? Could that be the problem? Have any other 'newbies' managed to log on to the old system?

I just checked the members' list there and she's not on it. It goes straight from Ama to Amalthea.

I could be wrong and if so, sorry for butting in, but I thought I'd mention it in case that was the problem. All old members were registered automatically onto the new board but are new members being registered onto the old board too?

n3m3sis42
July 6th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I'm not a mod but I just thought maybe it is because amaiaisabella registered after the old forums died. Maybe she is only on the membership list here and not there? Could that be the problem? Have any other 'newbies' managed to log on to the old system?

I just checked the members' list there and she's not on it. It goes straight from Ama to Amalthea.

I could be wrong and if so, sorry for butting in, but I thought I'd mention it in case that was the problem. All old members were registered automatically onto the new board but are new members being registered onto the old board too?

I second this. I was under the impression that anyone who joined after the old forums went down would be unable to log into them.

Beatnik Guy
July 6th, 2008, 06:33 AM
anna1850 is correct. Members who have joined since we moved to this forum software would need to be added manually by an admin. Longer term, one day, the intention is that the old and new forums will be brought back together.

n3m3sis42
July 6th, 2008, 06:53 AM
anna1850 is correct. Members who have joined since we moved to this forum software would need to be added manually by an admin. Longer term, one day, the intention is that the old and new forums will be brought back together.

Is it possible for me to be added to the old forum database? I didn't realize that was an option, but if it is, I'd really like to be added. If you need me to PM you or one of the other mods to discuss this instead of hijacking a thread, please let me know.

amaiaisabella
July 6th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Oh, okay. I understand the problem now! I guess I was too late to make it in to qualify!

As n3m3sis42 previously stated, I would like to be added, if that's possible. If not, perhaps someone could link me to the thread I was looking for? I'd very much appreciate it :)

n3m3sis42
July 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Oh, okay. I understand the problem now! I guess I was too late to make it in to qualify!

As n3m3sis42 previously stated, I would like to be added, if that's possible. If not, perhaps someone could link me to the thread I was looking for? I'd very much appreciate it :)

This is something that Just_Isabel suggested to me as a way of finding threads on the archive (since I couldn't log into the archived forum to search). It has worked for me when I tried it, though it's not quite as user-friendly as the LHC search.

Maybe it will help you out, too:

Oh, I just thought of something that might work for you: have you tried to google using "site:archive.longhaircommunity.com *insert what you want to search for*"?
I haven't used google to search for threads here because I don't need to, but it could work for someone who can't log in to the archives.

amaiaisabella
July 6th, 2008, 09:33 AM
n3m3sis42, that did work. Thank you :)