PDA

View Full Version : Help, my sister has a skin reaction to the heat (scalp skin)

brok3nwings
July 5th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Today i arrived home and my sister was watching tv on the coutch, as i wasnt following the tv i started to look at her hair and i saw some splits and started.."bla bla you should get a trim" (she is growing her hair also but she doesnt really really have the pacience for knowing about it). Her hair is bigger then mine and i was toutching it and then i saw some wierd things on her hair, at first i thought it was i dont know, paper whatever..but then i kept searching into her scalp and i saw a LOT of red spots. Many of them were wounds already with dry blood, some of them were producing some sebum or something that was what i thought it was paper at first. I was really sad and impressed. I didnt know she had it (i had some wounds also in my scalp when i was little but they are long time gone). She told me it was her skin reaction to heat as she has all these pimples in the skin where it holds perspiration (does it make sence..im trying to translate to english sorry) Where arms and legs flex. and the hair is making that reaction into her scalp also :( I think she doesnt care much and she keeps cruching it which is really bad and makes it go really worst. I know she should maybe go to the doctor but she say she always had it and it gets worst in the summer. She couldnt even dress black cloths when she was little because of this reaction to heat...

Do any of you have any suggestion to this problem? May be some oil, some product she could use to heal her skin in the scalp?

I would apreciatte any suggestion :o

Flaxen
July 5th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I don't know about products, and I'm sure someone will pop in here with a response, but could your sister blow dry just her scalp area for a few minutes after she washes it? Sometimes that helps with scalp problems.

Riot Crrl
July 5th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I don't know about products either. I am prone to heat rash, which seems to be what you are describing on the rest of her body other than her head. After a few days of keeping it clean and wearing breathable materials and keeping myself cool enough, that goes away.

The scalp part of this may be unrelated. Unless... was it only where her hair was parted? Maybe the sun burned it.

danacc
July 5th, 2008, 10:43 PM
It sounds like "heat rash" from your description of the skin. In the US, doctors can prescribe medication that helps to clear it up. In addition (or if she won't see a doctor) keeping the area clean (wash at least daily), moisturized, and cool whenever possible speeds healing and helps to prevent recurrence.

shellblue1
July 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Her doctor can probably prescribe a steroid cream that will get rid of it. :) I have always had eczema and it always gets rid of those kinds of rashes.

brok3nwings
July 6th, 2008, 05:14 PM
thank you all
Flaxen she actually blowdries her hair..i dont know if she does it into a completly dry effect, but i´ll ask her

Riot crrl it is not only where the hair is parted...is all over the scalp and probably it will be hard to go away cause the hair is always there and it makes it hot and prone to that reaction

danacc she washes her hair from 2 to 2 days but she actually has a bit of an oily scalp that can give her more itchy ..so yes your probably right but wont it make her hair dry to wash it everyday?

shellblue1 and do you know if those medications can be used in the scalp?

shellblue1
July 6th, 2008, 07:31 PM
thank you all
Flaxen she actually blowdries her hair..i dont know if she does it into a completly dry effect, but i´ll ask her

Riot crrl it is not only where the hair is parted...is all over the scalp and probably it will be hard to go away cause the hair is always there and it makes it hot and prone to that reaction

danacc she washes her hair from 2 to 2 days but she actually has a bit of an oily scalp that can give her more itchy ..so yes your probably right but wont it make her hair dry to wash it everyday?

shellblue1 and do you know if those medications can be used in the scalp?

I would think that the steroid cream can be used on the scalp, but I would do some research or ask a doctor about it before you purchase some. In the US we have to have a prescription for the cream, but where you live you might not have to. The cream that works really well for me is called Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP, 0.1%. I would just ask for steroid cream lol. If you just want something that is easier to get a hold of, I would try Cortizone 10. It can be purchased online because you don't have to have a prescription for it. Keep in mind though if she does have eczema or another form of dermatitis. the Cortizone 10 might not get rid of it because the product isn't as strong as a doctor-prescribed steroid cream. One warning about steroid creams is while they definitely do work and work very quickly, they aren't recommended for use for an extended amount of time because they can thin the skin.

I found an article that might address her condition:

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_113.htm

sipnsun
July 7th, 2008, 07:47 AM
If you are seeing blood, it sounds like maybe she is itching it (possibly in her sleep). I wonder if an allergy medicine would help her with the itching, and some Goldbond cream on her scalp. I get prickly heat on my legs and arms quit often and this is what I do.

lora410
July 7th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Sounds like eczema to me and I would suggest neem and tea tree mixed with a carrier oil for the scalp and maybe even try that on the rest of the patches. She may even want to try monistat in case is it a fungal issue.