PDA

View Full Version : Winter hair/clothing

WaitingSoLong
October 21st, 2011, 08:01 AM
So I find it ironic that just the time of year I need to wear my hair DOWN to stay warmer, is exactly when I need to put it UP because winter clothes are very unfriendly to hair.

On the flip side, though, at least it stays all protected all winter so in spring I can enjoy some fresh longer hair.

What do you all do in the winter with your hair? What kind of winter hair-friendly clothes do you have?

MonaLisa
October 21st, 2011, 08:06 AM
I don't think there is such thing as winter hair friendly clothes. all that is hair friendly can't warm me up..
so yeah, jackets, sweaters...It's horrible for hair, if I leave it down it gets extremely tangled within minutes...

It's huge problem for me, because i suck at making any updos...best i can do is a braid, which helps, but it's not so pretty, at work for example, very corproate environment...
and also my DBF loves my hair down so much and spams me to let it loose whenever i do something to it :(

This thread just made me realize, that i tend to cut my hair every winter to a shorter length, MBL or so...maybe this is the reason..and also autumn shedding, which freaks me out so much...

Definitely not my favourite season..
I'll be watching this thread, maybe someone has the answers..

Madora
October 21st, 2011, 08:14 AM
I'm not particularly worried about hair friendly clothes since I'm more concerned with staying warm.

I wear double fleece tops and in order to protect my updos when I don the tops, I cover my head with a rayon scarf, then slip the fleece top over my head. Works like a charm.

Although I never wear my hair down, I remember a tip Mr. Michael suggested in his book:

Divide the hair in the back so its in two sections. Cross the sections at the back, then bring one section to the front on your right side, and the other section to the front on your left side.

Keeping your hair in front of you, rather than down your back inside your coat or jacket, is much more protective.

heidi w.
October 21st, 2011, 09:21 AM
Madora is correct about this George Michael tip. This tip is also in his hair care book. Before he died about a year or so ago, he was apparently working on another book. Too bad it's not finished; or at least, I haven't heard anything about it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I did.

Wearing the hair down and divided and under a coat when outdoors can go a long way toward protecting the hair from wind and the like.

I also keep clips in the car's glove compartment box in case of emergency, but frankly, I wear my hair up almost every single day. The advantage being that when I wear it down, it looks awesome, and some are very surprised by the length. Some see it only once down. I like not being the center of attention because of it. I definitely wear it up at work ALL the time, without fail. This length is a hassle to file in and work in, a bit.

If I were to wear my hair down, which I occasionally allow, I am very mindful of wearing something such as a slick-fabric'd dress for my hair to slide against.

My hair tangles extremely easy, and it tangles viciously. When down, in a public setting, I have to visit the ladies' room numerous times to detangle; otherwise it doesn't look really nice.

I sometimes do wear hats though, such as knit caps. It's just that cold out in winter, and I need to keep my ears covered. But otherwise I don't wear a hat.

heidi w.

redmj
October 21st, 2011, 09:31 AM
I will be watching this thread carefully as well. I always wore it in a ponytail and delt with the tangles afterwards.

Also, how to you keep a scarf on your head????? Mine keeps sliding back and when I don't notice it, it looks funny.

Yozhik
October 21st, 2011, 09:51 AM
Redmj, I keep my scarves in place by wrapping them around my head, then taking one of the tails and wrapping it around the back of my head and my neck -- this seems to anchor it in place.

I tend to wear scarves over updos in the winter when it's windy, or pull up my hood if I've got one on my jacket.

I'm also really interested in calorimetry -- they're basically knitted/crocheted thick headbands that keep your ears warm while having a hole in the back so as to not mess up updos.

Sometimes if I need the extra warmth and my hair is down, I'll gently wrap it around my neck, but now I'm definitely going to follow Madora's and Heidi's advice to split it and wear it in front. Last time I wore it down in winter under my coat I had the worst neck tangles. :(

Chromis
October 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM
I wear it up in a log roll secured by a large Ficcare underneath a wool tam. I knit my berets a bit slouchy to accommodate my updo. I find the log roll to be the smoothest underneath things and it does not tangle when I do this at all. If it is really cold, I pull my parka hood over the tam or I wear a knit headband (Calorimetry) under my hat so I have two layers under the hood.

I do not wear my hair down outdoors in the winter at all. I get cold easily so I am always bundled in scarves and a sweater and coat, etc and it would just be horridly in the way. If I am indoors somewhere warm enough (not my own house lol, perhaps at a party) and I can take off my layers, then I am happy to let it down.

Anje
October 21st, 2011, 09:59 AM
I pretty much wear my hair up, though the hairsticks get less use in the winter because they don't fit nicely under hats. My major concern with winter clothes and hair is to watch out for zippers. Those can be nasty both from rubbing and zipping hair into them.

I'm also really interested in calliopes -- they're basically knitted/crocheted thick headbands that keep your ears warm while having a hole in the back so as to not mess up updos.
Erm, I believe you mean "calorimetries." (Which is also a device for measuring the heat that comes from a given chemical reaction....) There are lots of directions for knitting them, this is one. (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html)

Orangerthanred
October 21st, 2011, 12:31 PM
I don't know what I will do for winter. I'm new to the hair care stuff, because I never knew hair could get damaged so easily. Maybe a braid and earmuffs?

Metallia
October 21st, 2011, 02:26 PM
Erm, I believe you mean "calorimetries." (Which is also a device for measuring the heat that comes from a given chemical reaction....) There are lots of directions for knitting them, this is one. (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html)
I have two calorimetries, and I love them when my hair is up or down- when my hair is down I'm usually wearing it curly, and the headband-style keeps me warm without crushing my curls.

This winter my biggest concern is my ski helmet. There isn't space to wear an updo under it, and I move around so much any hair under my jacket, even braided, gets frizzed and abused. Any other skiiers/boarders have a suggestion?

Madora
October 21st, 2011, 03:05 PM
I don't know what I will do for winter. I'm new to the hair care stuff, because I never knew hair could get damaged so easily. Maybe a braid and earmuffs?

You want to protect your entire head by keeping it covered while outdoors.

A braid is fine. If you can pin that braid up, that is even better (then it won't be constantly rubbing against your clothes and getting shaggy).

ravenreed
October 21st, 2011, 03:17 PM
I find that wearing a high ponytail means less damage than just wearing my hair down, especially with clothing that have collars. I am always puzzled about how to deal with hats and hairsticks. I ordered a pattern that I am considering making extra large and lining with silk or satin so it won't muss my updo. The Grande Coiffe, from the first pattern- Kannik's Korner. (http://www.kannikskorner.com/patwomen.htm)

ETA: I do love my calorimetry for keeping my ears warm without interfering with my updo! I love it so much that I made some for my friends.

Yozhik
October 21st, 2011, 04:01 PM
I pretty much wear my hair up, though the hairsticks get less use in the winter because they don't fit nicely under hats. My major concern with winter clothes and hair is to watch out for zippers. Those can be nasty both from rubbing and zipping hair into them.

That's exactly what I meant! :o

Whoops! I rushed back right now to correct myself, but luckily you guys already caught my mistake. :)
I wouldn't have wanted the OP to go around looking for Grecian muses or musical instruments to put her hair up with. :laugh:

LaceyNg
October 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
this will be my first winter an a person who's conscientious of gentle hair management. in past winters i realized that i have tended to wear my hair up, just b/c i lived in IN and KY, and the winters tended to be very windy. so even if hair was down, i wasnt really getting any warmth from it :/

this year i'll probably go with a braid and a scarf to cover everything.

*is excited about scarf shopping* :)

Lostsoule77
October 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM
I think I just tend to wear it in a braid in the winter. It fits inside my coats comfortably and I start it high enough that even turtle necks don't get in the way. I've never thought too much about it. I was freezing today so in the winter all I care about it keeping warm. I have this horrible looking hat from old navy that I wear because as horrible as it looks it sure keeps me warm. :)

ddiana1979
October 21st, 2011, 11:20 PM
Huh. I never thought much about it (though admittedly I've lived in relatively reasonable climates for the last 10+ years). I always wear my hair up in a bun or some kind of twist now, unless there's something special going on. My jacket is one of those (synthetic) down filled jackets w/ the very smooth/slick outer fabric, so even if my hair were down, the fabric doesn't cause tangles. I don't usually wear hats, because they annoy me. . . always have. I have some earmuffs if it's really cold out. I knit scarves of very soft, smooth yarn (mostly because inexpensive, scratchy yarn drives me insane when it touches my neck). If it's really cold, sometimes I drape the scarf over my head before crossing the ends under my chin and wrapping the remainder around my neck (I like very long scarves, so there's lots of room to wrap things in various directions).

FrozenBritannia
October 21st, 2011, 11:20 PM
:D If I am going to wear a toque I usually do a braid or a bun. I wear a lot of scarves, and winter coats, neck warmers, you name it. I got frostbite twice last year just bringing in the groceries from the truck, so in hindsight I guess I probably take better care of my hair than I do my fingers, even before LHC! This year I have a silk lined scoodie I made for myself, which I will be wearing under the hood of my coat, and will stick to updos for the most part I think. If I'm heading out for a whole day of winter fun I'll have some sort of toque on and my trapper hat. (don't hurt me, it's warm!)

WaitingSoLong
October 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
Divide the hair in the back so its in two sections. Cross the sections at the back, then bring one section to the front on your right side, and the other section to the front on your left side.

Keeping your hair in front of you, rather than down your back inside your coat or jacket, is much more protective.

Ok, I tried this yesterday and it did not work at all. I could not zip up my jacket without getting my hair caught in it.

OT: Ok, so who exactly is George Michael because I thought he was that pop singer but realize that is not the first person. I see a lot of people refer to his salons and techniques and I am just clueless about who the heck he is. I know he has a method...or something...

WaitingSoLong
October 22nd, 2011, 07:35 AM
I pretty much wear my hair up, though the hairsticks get less use in the winter because they don't fit nicely under hats.

I was just experimenting yesterday with buns using spin pins instead of sticks. I managed to get an infinity bun to stay with spin pins and a nautilus which I wore the rest of the day. I liked not having the sticks pokingout to catch on stuff. I LOVE SPIN PINS. I may try Spidermom's bun that stays next.

WaitingSoLong
October 22nd, 2011, 07:37 AM
This winter my biggest concern is my ski helmet. There isn't space to wear an updo under it, and I move around so much any hair under my jacket, even braided, gets frizzed and abused. Any other skiiers/boarders have a suggestion?

Have you heard of tailbags (http://www.netposse.info/images/TailBags.jpg)? They are for horses and not very pretty to wear out but they would probably work for what you want. I woudl like the helmet with a silk scarf (or wrap one over your head) and then secure the length in a tailbag (you could probably make one).

sapphire-o
October 22nd, 2011, 07:39 AM
I wear my hair down if it's not too cold. I wear it up when it gets cold. I have some hairsticks and forks that are just barely long enough so they don't stick out too much, then I flip the hood over my head. I don't wear any hats. Somehow they can never stay on, either my hair is too slippery or my head is too round. I think it's the hair, as my little son who's got my slippery hair can't wear hats, either. All my winter coats have big hoods enough to allow a bun and still cover me from the rain.

WaitingSoLong
October 22nd, 2011, 07:45 AM
this year i'll probably go with a braid and a scarf to cover everything.

*is excited about scarf shopping* :)

Sorry about the multiple posts, it took me forever to read through all the replies.

I like scarves and the idea of using them to protect my hair (I have several) but have never been able to get them to stay in place either. There is a great YouTube channel all about different ways to tie scarves but I can effect NONE of them.

I have a knitted cap I just got and I LOVE it altough it leaves a band around my forehead, but I thought if it was silk lined it would be perfect.

At any rate, I love my ear pops (http://www.earpops.com/) and plan to get another pair for my birthday. They don't keep my head warm, though.

I bought a pleather jacket which is great, my hair just slides over it but it is not good for true cold weather.

Sarahmoon
October 22nd, 2011, 07:47 AM
When it's so cold I have to wear a hat, I have to put it in a braid because I can't fit a bun under a hat :( So I have to redo my hair at work or don't wear it up for quite a while, meh. When it's not extremely cold I sometimes wrap a scarf over my head against cold ears and then I can still wear my hair up. I'm not worried about damage to the ends too much. I use jojoba oil a bit more often and try to avoid going out with wet hair as much as possible.

As for clothes, I almost never wear those wool and/or fake wool sweaters because I hate how loose hairs collect on them and end up as hairballs underneath your arm pits :mad: So I just wear long sleeve shirts and t-shirts and tops over each other. Warm enough with my winter coat outside, and indoors it's usually a decent enough room temperature.

pepperpot
October 22nd, 2011, 07:49 AM
When my hair was long I always did what Madora suggested, except I didn't cross it over at the back, I just divided it in two and wore it in front under my coat and scarf. It protected it from tangling in the wind and I never got any more damage than usual. I just couldn't bear to wear my hair up in winter because my neck feels too exposed and cold.

Metallia
October 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Have you heard of tailbags (http://www.netposse.info/images/TailBags.jpg)? They are for horses and not very pretty to wear out but they would probably work for what you want. I woudl like the helmet with a silk scarf (or wrap one over your head) and then secure the length in a tailbag (you could probably make one).
That's a great idea- I could certainly whip something like that up. In fact depending on what I do the helmet would even help keep the top secure.
Thanks! One more reason to be that crazy person who can't wait for snow... :D

misspurdy06
October 22nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
My hooded wool coat has a silk lining. When I go out I just pull the hood up. The silk lining is okay for my hair and it keeps me warm hair up or down. Once I get inside heat is no longer an issue.

WaitingSoLong
October 23rd, 2011, 06:03 AM
That's a great idea- I could certainly whip something like that up. In fact depending on what I do the helmet would even help keep the top secure.
Thanks! One more reason to be that crazy person who can't wait for snow... :D

They also make a thing where each of the 3 strands of a braid has its own sleever to fit into but I cannot recall what they are called or where I saw them. It is probably made of lycra and probably for horses, too.

Tuna
October 23rd, 2011, 06:08 AM
I waer my hair up/ in a braid and under a cap or coat when i'm out. But when i come in (school, shopping center, etc) in go to the toilet and when i finnaly remove tons of clothes, i let my hair down. :D
I would love to show off my hair even more, when i'm out... but it gets very tangled... I just have to live with that.

Coan-Teen
October 23rd, 2011, 06:16 AM
I am a weirdo and cannot stand hats, gloves, earmuffs, or anything else that muffles my senses. I just put my coat's hood up, which interferes as little as possible with my hearing but still keeps some of the wind out. As for my hair, I just wear it in a braid and keep it tucked in. I suppose if I wanted to be really conscientious I could wrap the braid in a silk scarf but thus far I haven't had any issues with this technique.

Fethenwen
October 23rd, 2011, 06:33 AM
I'm planning to get a buff or two as soon as I get more money. That and my hair pinned in a flat bun inside of it + a warm hat should do the trick.

I'm planning to not freeze this winter :D nor make my hair tangly with woolen stuff. The buff hoodie looks really comfy and practical too.

Here's a link on buffs if you are not familiar with it: https://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/welcome.php

AzuraBlaise
October 23rd, 2011, 07:43 AM
I'm planning to get a buff or two as soon as I get more money. That and my hair pinned in a flat bun inside of it + a warm hat should do the trick.

I'm planning to not freeze this winter :D nor make my hair tangly with woolen stuff. The buff hoodie looks really comfy and practical too.

Here's a link on buffs if you are not familiar with it: https://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/welcome.php

That's awesome, Fethenwen! It's so versatile, thanks for the link!

Has anyone thought of trying TorrinPaige's 'Harley' Braid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLnBEVd0gOg

Would this work?

TheBluffs
October 23rd, 2011, 07:52 AM
I wear my hair up, or sometimes a braid. When a braid, I still shove it into the back of my bonnet. As mentioned, I wear a bonnet , as it is roomy for buns and very conferable. :)
I don't wear a scarf, but I do have a above knee jacket with a high neckline. I do wear mittens, and they are woolen and on a string through my jacket so I don't loose them. :p I try not to remove my bonnet and fix my hair with my mitts on as my hair can get a tad frizzy.

Hiriel
October 23rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Well, my hair is always up. I used to wear braids more in winter, in order to be able to use hats, but since my mum started knitting super thick warm calorimetries I just wear my hair up as usual :)

embee
October 23rd, 2011, 08:32 AM
My hair is always up too. And I wear crocheted calorimetries that match my crocheted scarves. If it's bitter cold I'll wear a heat and just deal with the frizz or tangles. Usually the calorimetry and jacket hood is sufficient.

Indoors, I have neckwarmers too, in case there's a draft. I *hate* a cold draft on my neck and ears!

irishlady
October 23rd, 2011, 08:44 AM
I alternate between wearing it down and up, just like any other time of the year. I am just careful about wearing it loose depending on what I am wearing that day.

MaryRose
October 23rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
I haven't really worried about it in the past due to my hair being so short. But now you all bring up good points about winter clothes and longer hair. I will be wearing my hair up when I go out as usual, a bun with hair sticks. It doesnt get cold enough to wear a hood or tobagan.

FrozenBritannia
October 23rd, 2011, 11:43 AM
I haven't really worried about it in the past due to my hair being so short. But now you all bring up good points about winter clothes and longer hair. I will be wearing my hair up when I go out as usual, a bun with hair sticks. It doesnt get cold enough to wear a hood or tobagan.

Sorry, I'm having a dense moment.. Do you mean to wear a hood or toque? Or to wear a hood and go tobogganing? A toboggan would be very uncomfortable to wear I'm afraid, being a long wooden sled.. (I really should read LHC before coffee, should I?)

WaitingSoLong
October 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
I am a weirdo and cannot stand hats, gloves, earmuffs, or anything else that muffles my senses. I just put my coat's hood up, which interferes as little as possible with my hearing but still keeps some of the wind out. As for my hair, I just wear it in a braid and keep it tucked in. I suppose if I wanted to be really conscientious I could wrap the braid in a silk scarf but thus far I haven't had any issues with this technique.

I think a hood muffles my hearing more than any of those other things. I really like my ear pops for this reason, they do not restrict my hearing at all. I don't find that my headbands do either, nor hats. Just hoods!? So I am baffled by your comment. I cannot stand to wear hoods as I have no peripheral vision when I wear them and cannot turn my head either. TEHO! (to each his/her own)

wandlimb
October 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
I knit slouchy berets to go over my buns. I'm just wondering whether I could find a pattern with strategically-placed eyelet holes so I could still wear a hair stick...

Vanilla
October 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
I find that cashmere sweaters / scarfs don't let my hair snag on them as bad as wool does during the winter. Macy's has these fairly cheap, and I just buy a few every winter. I'll layer with and underarmor shirt underneath if it's especially cold.

I'll stick my hair between the underarmor layer and cashmere layer, and wrap my neck with a scarf, then put on my wool coat.

Metallia
October 23rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
I knit slouchy berets to go over my buns. I'm just wondering whether I could find a pattern with strategically-placed eyelet holes so I could still wear a hair stick...
If you knit one with some pretty chunky yarn and bigger needles, you could probably poke them right through the stitches! But the chunky knit look is not everyone's cup o' tea, so maybe it's smaller yarn with button-holes or yarn-overs in the back? :) I'm intrigued by this!

CavySong
November 3rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Is this what you are talking about? If so how long are they?

http://www.horse.com/item/lycra-tail-bag/SLT771010/

.Amanaka.
November 4th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I tend to wear my hair up a lot in the winter, and then cover the whole updo with a hat. (I also tend not to wear hairsticks very often, if I did then this whole thing would have to be reevaluated.)

I actually just found my hats the other day - I have some big slouchy beret/tam types, mostly in grey but one in black with a hot pink inner layer. They go with pretty much anything, and keep my hair looking neat and my head warm. I will probably not go without one or the other until the snow melts in April.

Amber_Maiden
November 4th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Last year I wore it down and it would come out from under my hood... this year I'm going to try bunning it under the hood.. we'll see of this works out...

naturegirl321
November 4th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I'm trying to keep my hair heavily oiled and in updos

CurlyZ
November 4th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I have two calorimetries, and I love them when my hair is up or down- when my hair is down I'm usually wearing it curly, and the headband-style keeps me warm without crushing my curls.

Why don't you do 2 braids and let them hang in front of you?
I know it's not the perfect solution, but I think less damaging than have the braids under your jacket. Just an idea.
I'll keep my eyes on this thread - maybe someone else has a great idea?